• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 234 78.5%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 27 9.1%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
Features like that would take time. Not everything can be made on time and ready day 1.

Also, I think they meant to release updates every now and time, to keep the interest going and fresh, which is a good strategy.
the thing with new horizons, and I liked the game a lot, was that the execution was very poor.

Smash takes core design philosophies from 2D fighters and Kirby. Sakurai created an entire new genre of Fighting games with Smash, in which it dominates for better or worse. Changing it to a dead, niche genre is a death sentence for the series.
Nah, it could potentially revive the genre. Nintendo is known for taking risks. They could always go back if it doesn't work, Ultimate gave them that luxury.

Nah, it could potentially revive the genre. Nintendo is known for taking risks. They could always go back if it doesn't work, Ultimate gave them that luxury.
It’s still an unnecessary risk when the series already has a clearly-defined mechanical identity. If it’s a spin-off, that’s fine. But moving Smash away from being a 2.5D platform fighter is no different from changing Splatoon into a stylish action game (see DMC & Bayonetta).

They could change Smash's gameplay, they're just not going to... change Smash.

If they make some Power Stone-esque brawler of Nintendo characters, it's not going to replace the traditional platform fighter. They're not going to jettison such a winning formula. They'd just add what I suppose would be a new branch/spin-off (if they give it Smash branding), and both would exist concurrently.

I predict that Smash 6 will keep the 2D fighting and will be rebooted like Mortal Kombat 1.
Fighters will be cut down massively like Pokemon SwSh.

I predict that Smash 6 will keep the 2D fighting and will be rebooted like Mortal Kombat 1.
Fighters will be cut down massively like Pokemon SwSh.
Like I said before, the only way I could see them heavily cut down the roster is if they completely start from scratch in terms of assets (which, again, hasn’t happened since Melee).

Like I said before, the only way I could see them heavily cut down the roster is if they completely start from scratch in terms of assets (which, again, hasn’t happened since Melee).
Pokemon is using assets from the 3DS era, but Pokémon has been cut significantly.
Even if Smash continues to use Brawl assets, we believe that a time will eventually come when we will have to cut roster in terms of development scale bloat and balance adjustments.

If Sakurai isn't interested in bringing back a platforming adventure mode with a story, I'd love to see a full fledged Kingdom Hearts-like Smash RPG spinoff where you can isekai yourself into a bunch of different Nintendo worlds.

If Sakurai isn't interested in bringing back a platforming adventure mode with a story, I'd love to see a full fledged Kingdom Hearts-like Smash RPG spinoff where you can isekai yourself into a bunch of different Nintendo worlds.
I was really hoping we were gonna get Odyssey 2 with Mario visiting different Nintendo worlds. I’ll take a spin-off RPG because that sounds like a game all on its own.

Nintendo is the master of genre hopping their series, Mario has like almost all the genres covered with his games from racing to sports to rpgs to platformers

Nintendo is the master of genre hopping their series, Mario has like almost all the genres covered with his games from racing to sports to rpgs to platformers
One of my predictions is Switch 2 will get a Splatoon spinoff. Mario, pokemon, Zelda and Animal Crossing got spinoff games. It’s Splatoon’s turn.

Pokemon is using assets from the 3DS era, but Pokémon has been cut significantly.
Even if Smash continues to use Brawl assets, we believe that a time will eventually come when we will have to cut roster in terms of development scale bloat and balance adjustments.
I’m not saying there won’t be cuts, I’m saying it won’t go below 3DS/Wii U’s total launch roster (before newcomers) unless they completely start from scratch. That’s why NASB2 axed half of the old roster.

Did you read the article? It's just listing everything we already know and doesn't really explain why they think it will be unveiled this coming week.

I did

Liam Martin has worked for the Daily Express since 2016. As Gaming Editor, he's covered the launch of new consoles like the PS5 and Nintendo Switch,

He could know stuff we don’t.

I did

Liam Martin has worked for the Daily Express since 2016. As Gaming Editor, he's covered the launch of new consoles like the PS5 and Nintendo Switch,

He could know stuff we don’t.

Great, I'll email him and ask if he can back up this claim.

What’s wrong with you? There’s nothing here. It’s just a summary of stuff we know. Can you cut this crap out. You did this over and over and over for “a release in 2023” posted nothing articles.

What’s wrong with you ? There is a journalist claiming the NG console could be announced this week. I think it’s worth mentioning even if you don’t like it

Quoted by: tee
now this is leaking into this thread? it's such obvious BS. please, anyone who is reading this don't believe ANYTHING that comes from the Express.

What’s wrong with you ? There is a journalist claiming the NG console could be announced this week. I think it’s worth mentioning even if you don’t like it
It's an completely empty statement meant for clicks and the sole purpose of the article is to summarize known information. Express.co.uk is not a trustworthy source in any sense of the word

Sorry to be a skeptic, but...mentioning a reveal "as early as this week" without then backing up that claim with any reporting in the body of the article smells to me like like a statement that is undeniably true that was motivated by a desire for attention. Because yeah, it could be revealed this week. It could be revealed in 1 minute from now. Nintendo Switch 2 could launch "as early as" today. The only way that article's statement could be wrong is if the writer set a date and the console was revealed earlier, so "this week" feels pretty safe to me. "Starting today, the console could be revealed in the future" is how that personally reads. Saying "it will be revealed this week" instead would make the claim something with a possibility of being wrong.

I believe headlines are sometimes (often?) written by editors, so I don't put that on Liam in particular or anything. I think it's just part of how some websites are run.

Last edited:
Highlight everything that Express.co.uk got wrong.
Read the article. There’s nothing to even get right from the person who wrote the article. It’s just a summary of rumors and a headline meant to get people to click.

Lol I missed the dlss for Xbox and PS. Well I guess there’s something wrong

Last edited:
Highlight everything that Express.co.uk got wrong.
Well it's not exactly the longest article, and they still managed to fuck up the DLSS information. They said the Switch 2 is running 3.1 while the PS5 and Series X is running 3.5. PS5 and Xbox don't use DLSS at all. Regardless, they're regurgitating speculative information none of which was initially found by FAMIBOARDS. US. Asking what they got wrong isn't a defense when we don't even know if we're right.

"the Switch 2 could be revealed as early as next week" is just as true as "we're all another day closer to death", and yet no less cringeworthy to hear.

my bets for possible games Nintendo internal team/subsidiaries/colaborators is making for Switch sucessor: EPD 8 is working on the next 3D Mario, EPD 9 on next Mario Kart, EPD 3 has begin work on the next Legend of Zelda(problaby coming in 2027/2028), EPD 10 pre-production on Pikimin 5, EPD 4 working on a game or IP to showcase Nintendo Switch sucessor main concepth/gimmick, EPD 7 if rumors are correct they are working together with Mercury Steam on Metroid 6, EPD 5 working on the next Animal Crossing(Splatoon 4 might come later, Nintendo will prioritize Animal Crossing now, give Animal Crossing New Horizon is the second best selling game on Switch), Hal Laboratory working on the next 2D or 3D Kirby game, also on Kirby Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot and some spin-off , Retro Studios maybe ending the development of Metroid Prime 4 and polishing the game for both Switch and it sucessor, Monolith Soft working on the action RPG/Xenoblade Chronicles 4, ND Cube working on the next Mario Party, Grezzo working on a remake of a Nintendo IP(might be another Legend of Zelda remake)
Yeah I agree, it's highly likely that the Zelda team is at an even further point than most would think because again, Nintendo loves to sit on stuff. The next MercurySteam Metroid is a pretty safe bet at this point as well as something Animal Crossing. HAL will probably even have some other IPs for NG as well apart from Kirby as they did with Switch.

What's a game people would like to see Grezzo do a remake of next? I was a fan of Link's Awakening for the Switch but I do really think their work with porting Luigi's Mansion to the 3DS is quite underrated. I wonder what other games from the GameCube and Wii era would look good with a graphical uplift in the same vein as Metroid Prime Remastered. Mario Kart: Double Dash definitely strikes me as one of the titles that could really benefit from getting an uplift like this, but EPD 9 could also just implement Double Dash features in the next Mario Kart. F-Zero GX would also be really cool especially since F-Zero 99 has been generating so much buzz lately - would pair well with the Yakuza/Like a Dragon series of games considering they were made by the same developer.

We so back
Nothing in the article beyond the headline says anything about it being revealed next week. That claim came out of nowhere and is not backed by anything they talk about or sourced in the article, and is most definitely just to get people to click and spread it around for even more clicks. I would dismiss it unless more information somehow gets out about it being next week, which doesn't make any sense anyway, considering that's when Wonder comes out.

this thread was created when it was to put out the fires in the technology and first party threads

but in a vacuum it really should've been made after mario

there is absolutely zero chance of news before mario. it'd be nonsensical. and yes, this is coming from mr anything can happen - I'm not being hypocritical, news before mario is just that absurd

This is a pretty sensible guess, really. To add detail to this:

- EPD 8
They have two games in development and haven't been the primary developer of an original game since 2017 (Super Mario Odyssey). Their 3D game issued a hiring call in October 2019, and a 2D project issued a hiring call in August 2020. Both of these games should be candidates for the cross-gen period/new hardware. EPD 8 did port 3D World, produce/co-develop Bowser's Fury (with NST & 1-UP), and produce 3D All-Stars (with NERD & iQue), but all of these projects were small in scope. They moved to new larger offices in either 2019 or 2020, so may have expanded as a group; their 3D title is presumably Super Mario and is presumably co-developed with 1-UP Studio (and perhaps NST have a supporting role, though they've been busy with 2 projects since Bowser's Fury). A possible shift to the shared ModuleSystem game engine (used in Splatoon 3, Switch Sports and Tears of the Kingdom) might also explain the prolonged absence from EPD 8 as they expanded, reorganised, and familiarised themselves with new tools instead of continuing with their own custom engine. The 2D title is unknown, but rumours pointed to DK. I'd say the 3D title is a year one candidate for next-gen and the 2D game follows in 2025/year two.
- EPD 9
They haven't led development on a new game since 2017, and their exact role with Mario Kart Tour (2019) is difficult to parse given an absence of credits for the game as well as the previous existence of an EPD smart devices group. EPD 9 did serve as producer for Mario Kart Live, where primary development was handled by Velan Studios, and presumably they at least produced the DLC for 8 DX though again, an absence of credits makes the exact development arrangements difficult to ascertain. However, EPD 9 are in much the same situation as EPD 8, whereby it's been a fair period of time (at least four years) since they last shipped a major product and therefore, given Mario Kart's importance, you'd expect EPD 9 to be a year one candidate for next-gen.
- EPD 4
They haven't been as 'absent' as long as the two other groups, but they have been very prolific on Switch. They led development on 1-2 Switch (2017), Labo (2018-19), Ring Fit Adventure (2019), Game Builder Garage (2021) and Switch Sports (2022), and also served as the producer for Brain Training (2019 with indieszero), Big Brain Academy (2021 with indieszero), Miitopia (2021 with Grezzo) and Everybody 1-2 Switch (2023, with NdCube). Given how prolific they are, and given Everybody 1-2 Switch was eventually handed over to NdCube and Switch Sports updates have stopped, I'd assume EPD 4 are all hands on deck to get projects out on new hardware as soon as possible. I'd consider them a strong candidate for new IP in year one and a Ring Fit Adventure follow up in year two or three.
- EPD 5
I had actually thought they're slightly less likely to turn up just as soon as the three groups listed above, but when you stop and look at their output they've shipped a major product on a near-annual basis on Switch (Splatoon 2, 2017; Octo Expansion 2018, Animal Crossing 2020; Happy Home Paradise 2021; Splatoon 3 2022; Side Order 2024). Animal Crossing is enormously more popular now than it ever has been, and, incoming Lego aside, it's bizarre to me that Nintendo are yet to try and capitalise on that popularity with either a spin-off, remake, or a similar style franchise (Tomodachis of the world, unite). I'd peg EPD 5 as a potential 2025 title and it could well be the next mainline Animal Crossing coming at an earlier point in the next generation than it managed on Switch. Not unprecedented at all; Animal Crossing launched towards the end of 3DS's second year in Japan (2012) and the end of the DS's first year in Japan and North America (2005).
- EPD 7
The future of Tomodachi is up in the air in terms of who actually handles the next title, and it's possible this has become an EPD 4 property. It's also unclear if EPD 7 are still internal plus external development, or have shifted over entirely to being an external group. That uncertainty being the case, I'd say the safest bet for the next EPD 7 title is Metroid 6, with MercurySteam, probably launching in 2025. Perhaps Nintendo and EPD 7 spring a cross-gen Tomodachi title from somewhere, because I think at least some key staff for that game have been inactive for a while, but I'm not sure that's a safe bet.
- EPD 10
Having just shipped Pikmin 4 (with Eighting) and now shipping Super Mario Bros Wonder, you'd have to assume it's 3 to 4 years before we see more from this group. Given the success of Pikmin 4 and the development support provided by Eighting, we may well see Pikmin 5 before we see the next Super Mario Bros.
- EPD 3
Difficult to judge. I suspect we'll at least see EPD 3 turn up in a producing capacity in the next couple of years; Wind Waker or Twilight Princess provide easy port fodder as a late Switch/early next-gen filler title; Grezzo might turn out a remake of an older 2D Zelda; a third Hyrule Warriors feels inevitable given the success of Age of Calamity. The real question is whether Aonuma's ambition to retool 2D/'portable' Zelda comes to fruition, and whether any younger minds at EPD have been given the chance to take charge of that series. Aonuma's 2017 comments pointed to a future for that sub-series, and though I expect co-development would have to happen, I do expect EPD 3 to take firm control if they are making new 2D Zelda. Absent new 2D Zelda, expect the legendary franchise to be limited to re-releases and spin-offs for the next 4 to 6 years.

I was gonna run through likely subsidiaries, but this is already a wall of text...
I have a feeling EPD 3 is going to want to have that sub-series happen and kind of have it be the Zelda franchise's version of what the New Super Mario Bros. games are or what Super Mario Bros. Wonder is to the Mario franchise.

Back
Top Bottom