• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 225 79.2%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 25 8.8%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
Also talk about stifling a developers creativity by telling them for 3 GENERATIONS in a row you just gonna build off the same old ass game. Can’t come up with a brand new foundation for a new Mario Kart game. Yeah screw that. Nintendo doesn’t even port Splatoon. They created two of them on the same system. This isn’t Rockstar.

You can advertise it as improved online, the GA will know what that means.
But improved online isn't something most people would spend $60 on. People found Ultimate's online quite adequate.
I imagine Nintendo can just, renegotiate deals (and I imagine all deals for pass 2 had future rereleases in mind.)
A hell of a lot easier said than done, all just to re-release the same game on a platform that can already run it.
You're talking about the same group of people that'd gladly rebuy GTAV 10 times.
Smash and GTA have very different audiences. Also GTA is a LOT bigger.

Is not console warring I just hope Nintendo kicking some asses might make Sony realize "hey remember when we were cool? " and male sony actual games instead of movies that claim to have super narratives...that was already done better on ps2 in 2000
of course you can have your opinion on that, but I don’t really see the point here. It’s never safe to assume that Nintendo will “kick asses”, and even then, if the last 10 years have shown anything, then that Sony is very popular without even caring about what Nintendo does (and vice versa). Theres a freaking whole lot of people who like modern Sony. I’m not one of them either, but you can’t deny that they have found their own style for modern games.

But improved online isn't something most people would spend $60 on. People found Ultimate's online quite adequate.
okay, so you have no idea what the hell you're talking about

this is one of the most embarrassingly wrong things I've seen on here

Is not console warring I just hope Nintendo kicking some asses might make Sony realize "hey remember when we where cool? " and male sony actual games instead of movies that claim to have super narratives...that was already done better on ps2 in 2000
Sony makes good games. Clearly people like them by the quality and sales. Nintendo does their own thing and Sony does their own thing.

alright, now nintendo is finally clear to announce the switch 2!

(referring to call of duty being on switch now, but messed up the quote on mobile)

Since when is Rockstar a first party hardware developer? I didn’t know Rockstar was using GTAV to sell their own hardware.
its a successful business model, skyrim remastered, gta v, mario kart 8, still sell amazing despite being able to buy them on older hardware. With mario kart 8 yes you can get it on switch 1 but if they add in more new tracks and add something like dlss which you cant get on switch 1 i'm sure it will continue to sell amazing. same with a smash ultimate remaster

okay, so you have no idea what the hell you're talking about

this is one of the most embarrassingly wrong things I've seen on here
No need to get rude. You are looking too much on the competitive side. The general audience of smash found ultimate's online to be fine. It was the very vocal competitive side that are shouting for rollback netcode.

You can advertise it as improved online, the GA will know what that means.

I imagine Nintendo can just, renegotiate deals (and I imagine all deals for pass 2 had future rereleases in mind.)

You're talking about the same group of people that'd gladly rebuy GTAV 10 times.
The point isn’t that renegotiating is impossible, but rather that the amount of effort necessary would be equivalent to doing a new game. And since the Switch 2 will almost certainly be backwards compatible, Nintendo may not see it as worthwhile to do a port instead of a new game.

A hell of a lot easier said than done, all just to re-release the same game on a platform that can already run it.

Smash and GTA have very different audiences. Also GTA is a LOT bigger.
Smash Ultimate’s online was universally clowned on by mainstream & hardcore fans alike. As was already said, just market it as better online to the masses & specify that it’s rollback to more enthusiast circles.

Of course, better online wouldn’t be the only improvement. But it be a pretty fucking big one. With SF6 & T8 improving their single-player offerings, Smash needs to step it up in that department as well.

Last edited:
its a successful business model, skyrim remastered, gta v, mario kart 8, still sell amazing despite being able to buy them on older hardware. With mario kart 8 yes you can get it on switch 1 but if they add in more new tracks and add something like dlss which you cant get on switch 1 i'm sure it will continue to sell amazing. same with a smash ultimate remaster
We’re just gonna disagree. Hopefully Nintendo will port all their Switch games with dlss on Switch 2 and call it good. I’m ready for Super Mario Odyssey 4K tbh. Might as well not make a new 3D Zelda. Just give us TOTK 4K because we know it will sell forever.

No need to get rude. You are looking too much on the competitive side. The general audience of smash found ultimate's online to be fine. It was the very vocal competitive side that are shouting for rollback netcode.
Dude, non competitive people clowned on the online too

Dude, non competitive people clowned on the online too
Yeah, but they found it adequate. Certainly not unusable. If it is so bad like you're making out to be, then why can I easy find matches and smash arenas open 24/7? Its not so bad that most people would pay $60 for an upgrade. Smash bros has a very different audience compared to other fighting games. It has a huge casual base, one that does not understand or care about rollback netcode. The competitive base only makes up a very small portion of the base.

Yeah, but they found it adequate. Certainly not unusable. If it is so bad like you're making out to be, then why can I easy find matches and smash arenas open 24/7? Its not so bad that most people would pay $60 for an upgrade. Smash bros has a very different audience compared to other fighting games. It has a huge casual base, one that does not understand or care about rollback netcode. The competitive base only makes up a very small portion of the base.
Trust me, no they didn’t. It was tolerated (albeit barely), but it was universally agreed that the online was awful. The people who thought the online was adequate a few & far between even outside our enthusiast circles.

That said, you do have a point that it shouldn’t be the only major improvement. Obviously better single-player modes would be a massive improvement, especially in light of other fighting games stepping it up in that regard. On the topic of characters, they can nip the diversity concerns in the bud (that have spread in the wake of other platform fighters) by adding more women & people of color. And even with the returning characters, a few of them could use some reworks (Sonic, Samus, Ganondorf, etc.). I would say make the Smash Meter more competitively-viable, but that would get into NASB2 territory.

Last edited:
I played Smash online regularly with a crew for two years and didn't run into many problems.

That's not to say it was good, but I'm sure there are several people who don't post in online communities like this who thought "yeah, this works."

I played Smash online regularly with a crew for two years and didn't run into many problems.

That's not to say it was good, but I'm sure there are several people who don't post in online communities like this who thought "yeah, this works."
This. This is my point.

The majority of casuals thought the online was fine. I have seen this time and time again where people not too enthused with smash thought it worked fine, therefore wouldn't bother upgrading to new a version for better online.

Promoting "better online" would only appeal to the more competitive players.

And with the Switch 2 having a better CPU, there’s no excuse to not have rollback in the next Smash game.

Trust me, no they didn’t. It was tolerated (albeit barely), but it was universally agreed that the online was awful. The people who thought the online was adequate a few & far between even outside our enthusiast circles.

That said, you do have a point that it shouldn’t be the only major improvement. Obviously better single-player modes would be a massive improvement, especially in light of other fighting games stepping it up in that regard. On the topic of characters, they can nip the diversity concerns in the bud (that have spread in the wake of other platform fighters) by adding more women & people of color. And even with the returning characters, a few of them could use some reworks (Sonic, Samus, Ganondorf, etc.). I would say make Smash Meter more competitively-viable, but that would get into NASB2 territory.
Actually, the poc comment reminded me of a thread I wanted to make

There's rollback netcode for the NSO emulators, except for N64, and its pretty good.

I do think more competitive games like Smash will get rollback netcode for their next installments.

. Looks like Switch 2 is delayed. /s

I wonder if a switch 2 is announced if it will actually cause less people to buy switch 1. like if they announce it in November would holiday sales be lower than if they didn't announce it? People might think oh switch 2 is coming soon so I better hold off and get that instead

This is why im not so confident there will be a November reveal honestly

Something I hope to see in the future is Nintendo reimagining some old games. It doesn’t have to be Switch 2, but at some point. Remaking old games is great. I do like what Capcom and Square have done with some of their reimaginings. If we were to get another Links Awakening remake 20 years down the road I’d want it to be reimagined.

Is not console warring I just hope Nintendo kicking some asses might make Sony realize "hey remember when we where cool? " and male sony actual games instead of movies that claim to have super narratives...that was already done better on ps2 in 2000
I don't think Sony cares about being "cool". They have a very successful console right now, and the games that they publish are often highly rated and sell great.

This is a pretty sensible guess, really. To add detail to this:

- EPD 8
They have two games in development and haven't been the primary developer of an original game since 2017 (Super Mario Odyssey). Their 3D game issued a hiring call in October 2019, and a 2D project issued a hiring call in August 2020. Both of these games should be candidates for the cross-gen period/new hardware. EPD 8 did port 3D World, produce/co-develop Bowser's Fury (with NST & 1-UP), and produce 3D All-Stars (with NERD & iQue), but all of these projects were small in scope. They moved to new larger offices in either 2019 or 2020, so may have expanded as a group; their 3D title is presumably Super Mario and is presumably co-developed with 1-UP Studio (and perhaps NST have a supporting role, though they've been busy with 2 projects since Bowser's Fury). A possible shift to the shared ModuleSystem game engine (used in Splatoon 3, Switch Sports and Tears of the Kingdom) might also explain the prolonged absence from EPD 8 as they expanded, reorganised, and familiarised themselves with new tools instead of continuing with their own custom engine. The 2D title is unknown, but rumours pointed to DK. I'd say the 3D title is a year one candidate for next-gen and the 2D game follows in 2025/year two.
- EPD 9
They haven't led development on a new game since 2017, and their exact role with Mario Kart Tour (2019) is difficult to parse given an absence of credits for the game as well as the previous existence of an EPD smart devices group. EPD 9 did serve as producer for Mario Kart Live, where primary development was handled by Velan Studios, and presumably they at least produced the DLC for 8 DX though again, an absence of credits makes the exact development arrangements difficult to ascertain. However, EPD 9 are in much the same situation as EPD 8, whereby it's been a fair period of time (at least four years) since they last shipped a major product and therefore, given Mario Kart's importance, you'd expect EPD 9 to be a year one candidate for next-gen.
- EPD 4
They haven't been as 'absent' as long as the two other groups, but they have been very prolific on Switch. They led development on 1-2 Switch (2017), Labo (2018-19), Ring Fit Adventure (2019), Game Builder Garage (2021) and Switch Sports (2022), and also served as the producer for Brain Training (2019 with indieszero), Big Brain Academy (2021 with indieszero), Miitopia (2021 with Grezzo) and Everybody 1-2 Switch (2023, with NdCube). Given how prolific they are, and given Everybody 1-2 Switch was eventually handed over to NdCube and Switch Sports updates have stopped, I'd assume EPD 4 are all hands on deck to get projects out on new hardware as soon as possible. I'd consider them a strong candidate for new IP in year one and a Ring Fit Adventure follow up in year two or three.
- EPD 5
I had actually thought they're slightly less likely to turn up just as soon as the three groups listed above, but when you stop and look at their output they've shipped a major product on a near-annual basis on Switch (Splatoon 2, 2017; Octo Expansion 2018, Animal Crossing 2020; Happy Home Paradise 2021; Splatoon 3 2022; Side Order 2024). Animal Crossing is enormously more popular now than it ever has been, and, incoming Lego aside, it's bizarre to me that Nintendo are yet to try and capitalise on that popularity with either a spin-off, remake, or a similar style franchise (Tomodachis of the world, unite). I'd peg EPD 5 as a potential 2025 title and it could well be the next mainline Animal Crossing coming at an earlier point in the next generation than it managed on Switch. Not unprecedented at all; Animal Crossing launched towards the end of 3DS's second year in Japan (2012) and the end of the DS's first year in Japan and North America (2005).
- EPD 7
The future of Tomodachi is up in the air in terms of who actually handles the next title, and it's possible this has become an EPD 4 property. It's also unclear if EPD 7 are still internal plus external development, or have shifted over entirely to being an external group. That uncertainty being the case, I'd say the safest bet for the next EPD 7 title is Metroid 6, with MercurySteam, probably launching in 2025. Perhaps Nintendo and EPD 7 spring a cross-gen Tomodachi title from somewhere, because I think at least some key staff for that game have been inactive for a while, but I'm not sure that's a safe bet.
- EPD 10
Having just shipped Pikmin 4 (with Eighting) and now shipping Super Mario Bros Wonder, you'd have to assume it's 3 to 4 years before we see more from this group. Given the success of Pikmin 4 and the development support provided by Eighting, we may well see Pikmin 5 before we see the next Super Mario Bros.
- EPD 3
Difficult to judge. I suspect we'll at least see EPD 3 turn up in a producing capacity in the next couple of years; Wind Waker or Twilight Princess provide easy port fodder as a late Switch/early next-gen filler title; Grezzo might turn out a remake of an older 2D Zelda; a third Hyrule Warriors feels inevitable given the success of Age of Calamity. The real question is whether Aonuma's ambition to retool 2D/'portable' Zelda comes to fruition, and whether any younger minds at EPD have been given the chance to take charge of that series. Aonuma's 2017 comments pointed to a future for that sub-series, and though I expect co-development would have to happen, I do expect EPD 3 to take firm control if they are making new 2D Zelda. Absent new 2D Zelda, expect the legendary franchise to be limited to re-releases and spin-offs for the next 4 to 6 years.

I was gonna run through likely subsidiaries, but this is already a wall of text...
it's surprising and disappointing EPD 8 and 9 have taken so long making games this generation.

Odyssey was allegedly finished ahead of the Switch's March 2017 launch and Arms was a launch-window title. Assuming Fall 2024 for the Switch 2 and EPD 8/9 unloading shortly thereafter, that will be near-8 years between major titles. That's really ridiculous.

Nah, Microsoft isn't a "nice person" like that.

Double Fine was planning to release all of their lineup on Switch but when they got acquired by MS, those plans got canned. Only Grim Fandango managed to made it to Switch. All planned releases were multiplatform too, on both PS4 and Vita. And now the Xbox consoles struggle in sales, I can see MS going for stricter measures...
I don't get your logic here. Xbox One was also struggling with sales and yet they put Cupheard, Ori, etc on Switch. And there wasn't even precedent to do so then. Now you're telling me they wouldn't put Diablo 4, which is already on PS5 and whose predecessor is on the Switch, won't be ported to Switch 2 because MS would suddenly care about exclusively?

So, the next COD is probably a lock for the Switch 2. Anyone think we might get collections of the older games? Maybe a collection of the first 3 original Modern Warfare games and Black Ops games?

Diablo 3 turned out so good on Switch. It's difficult to see D4 being as good... like, ever. I still prefer Diablo 3.

Then again, D3 was garbage at launch too. Maybe they will get rid of D4 gaas, design an offline mode, and put an amazing team in charge of seasonal content for years.

... but probably not

props for releasing Ori on Switch though... I still gotta play cuphead but it looks great

So, the next COD is probably a lock for the Switch 2. Anyone think we might get collections of the older games? Maybe a collection of the first 3 original Modern Warfare games and Black Ops games?
there's rumors the old games are hitting gamepass. tbh i dont think that they'll do a collection tho. they already sell the old games at full price on steam and im sure they could get away with it again on current console. cash in on gamers wanting to relive their kindergarten days and whatnot.

it's surprising and disappointing EPD 8 and 9 have taken so long making games this generation.

Odyssey was allegedly finished ahead of the Switch's March 2017 launch and Arms was a launch-window title. Assuming Fall 2024 for the Switch 2 and EPD 8/9 unloading shortly thereafter, that will be near-8 years between major titles. That's really ridiculous.
EPD 9 presumably had some level of involvement in Mario Kart Tour, so I wouldn't say they've been so long without games. And I wouldn't underestimate the work that went into building that game, given the mountains of content it has received. While I'd definitely agree it's disappointing - especially because we haven't had a Captain Toad or NES Remix style experiment from EPD 8 this gen - in light of contextual factors, I wouldn't say this is surprising.

Firstly, development simply is more complex and increasing in scale; even if Nintendo haven't chased this curve as aggressively as others, they are not immune from it. Secondly, we know from developer statements from different, recent games like Switch Sports and Super Mario Bros Wonder that Nintendo are comfortable allowing protracted development times at EPD if necessary. We know from Zelda - with a development time of 5 years even with a game world and graphical style being repurposed - how long the prestige EPD projects can take. We also have to factor in Covid, and the simple fact that pandemic will have effected different projects in different ways. And then there's the new hardware itself; it wouldn't surprise me if the decision was made back in 2019/20 for EPD 8 and 9 to target the next hardware for their games, given 3D Mario and Mario Kart are well represented on Switch and given their selling power, they are safe bets for early system sellers. It makes sense they may be some of the longest gestating projects targeting new hardware and, who knows; primary development may even be wrapping up.

As I said in my post, there's some evidence - between office relocation, two projects being advertised, and potential engine changes - that EPD 8 have reorganised somewhat. There may well be an aborted 3D Mario project somewhere in that 7 year span; my personal theory is Bowser's Fury was built on a prototype 3D Mario that never panned out. So on top of all those industry wide contexts (scope creep, Covid), EPD's particular circumstances (Nintendo allowing the luxury of time, Nintendo needing games for new hardware), there's also specific factors that may have played into EPD 8's prolonged absence (changing location, expanding and reorganising the team, potentially changing engines).

So yes, disappointing; but all potentially explainable based on broader trends and on Nintendo-specific developments.

I don't get your logic here. Xbox One was also struggling with sales and yet they put Cupheard, Ori, etc on Switch. And there wasn't even precedent to do so then. Now you're telling me they wouldn't put Diablo 4, which is already on PS5 and whose predecessor is on the Switch, won't be ported to Switch 2 because MS would suddenly care about exclusively?
They will eventually, but first they'll try to salvage Xbox SX/S. They'll do everything they can for Xbox to at least pass Xbox One total sales. They're gonna market D4 with "get it free on Game Pass", possibly targeting Switch owners. After it starts to seem unachieveable, the successor will get Diablo 4.

I do not get Smash needing to step up it’s SP content.

World of Light is like a 10 hour campaign. Then you have spirit battles, classic mode, challenge board…

What do y’all want, more cutscenes?
an actual story mode would be nice. World of light was just random smash battles.

World of Light is like a 10 hour campaign. Then you have spirit battles, classic mode, challenge board…

I think people want World of Light to be like Subspace Emissary. So basically yes. More cutscenes of characters meeting and teaming up.

World of Light is just Event Mode on steroids, something that MK1’s Invasion mode also proved to not be sufficient. Ideally, something like Melee’s Adventure Mode could be implemented.

Hello Mario from Mario

hello Link from Zelda. would you like to beat up R.O.B. from the NES?

yes Mario I would like that very much

(end cutscene)

I’d kick most of that content, including and especially Adventure Mode, to the curb if Smash Run got a second life and expanded. Sakurai didn’t come close to scratching the surface of how deep and awesome that mode could be.

I think people want World of Light to be like Subspace Emissary. So basically yes. More cutscenes of characters meeting and teaming up.
Unless you want everyone silent again like SSE, real character interactions will require Nintendo to pay up & actually unionize the English voice production.

I think it's more so the potential of having a really cool, small story about all of the characters coming together to fight a greater evil, not really being met with World of Light. I don't think most people thought it was bad. It had a lot of content, and it would have taken a long time for them to make something like Subspace Emissary, but with Ultimate's roaster, so I completely understand why they approached a campaign the way they did so they could actually get the game out before this generation ended, but I also think it's fair to be disappointed that they didn't go a bit further with the idea.

I do hope the concept is further explored in a future game or an expanded version of Ultimate.

an actual story mode would be nice. World of light was just random smash battles.
I’d kick most of that content, including and especially Adventure Mode, to the curb if Smash Run got a second life and expanded. Sakurai didn’t come close to scratching the surface of how deep and awesome that mode could be.
World of Light is just Event Mode on steroids, something that MK1’s Invasion mode also proved to not be sufficient. Ideally, something like Melee’s Adventure Mode could be implemented.
I didn’t mind adventure mode and SSE, but I thought it was generally agreed that shoehorning platforming stages into Smash’s gameplay was a misstep.

I think World of Light did good on focusing on Smash’s core gameplay, with some light RPG mechanics and world map stuff, and the brilliant flavoring of the spirit battles allowing them to cram in tons of game tributes and capture that “museum of gaming” aspect of Smash.

Because WOL is too long and repetitive. Lots of the spirit battles just blend in with each other like the ones that involve Little Mac for example. No variety in win conditions. Just fight and KO the target. And without the neat info that trophies provided, the references don't mean much unless you already know who the character is. I much rather have an expansive Smash Run or a Slay the Spire type mode than World of Light again.

Back
Top Bottom