• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 232 79.5%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 25 8.6%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
I'm expecting it to be called Switch 2 just based on how Nintendo is behaving.
this made me lol idk why
🤭

They will use Switch in the name. It’s literally carrying on Nintendo Switch Online. They’re not dropping the name of their most successful system of all time. It will be used in the next system just like SNES, Wii U, 3DS, Gameboy Advance
okay this is compelling. Gameboy Advance omg I forgot about that one. Hmmm I'll think about some names then.

Shin'en is doomed by their own atrocious marketing unfortunately. They had some public attention with Fast Racing Neo/RMX because they were a standout indie dev with great visuals and a good game which helped fill the F-Zero gap, but after then, they let their brand fall into obscurity. They get no exposure ever by any news journalists, they barely post on any of their social media accounts, and their games aren't stellar enough to have an active fanbase to do the heavy lifting of spreading the word. The Touryst had medium exposure when it was announced, was regarded as "pretty good", then.... nothing.

99% of people didn't even know they released a game in 2022 with no fanfare called the Punchuin ... a 2d 8-bit pixel game. A game that completely goes against Shin'en's strength as a brand of ambition and standout visual games.

I love Shin'en and hope they can make a comeback as a brand/developer, but they've been killing their own business in terms of sales, marketing, and general audience awareness + prestige. They should be known as one of THE Nintendo console indie devs to look forward to, but they aren't and I'm concerned for their financial stability at this rate of they have another weak game with no marketing attention. I really enjoyed Fast and Nano Assault. I was thinking if they kept going like they were during the Wii + Wii U era, they'd be a known indie dev soon but the opposite has occurred. I hope they can make a big splash with Switch 2
I agree that Shin'en's trajectory wasn't what I expected. The Punchuin in particular seemed like a hard left turn for the studio, and yeah, I doubt they got the attention and sales of past projects with The Touryst and The Punchuin. However, if the games are what the studio wanted to make, I can't fault them for making them, even if that might have threatened their business. Selfishly, I do hope they'll have something ready for Switch 2 that's more to my tastes, and I hope the studio finds success. Not many small devs out there were pushing the kind of visuals Shin'en has on Nintendo hardware.

Yeah the summer won’t be interesting; vacations, summer recess etc. After September you’ll hear more.

Maybe you will hear more around TGS time, a few tidbits

Shin'en are the chosen ones to develop a Switch 2 exclusive title that pushes hard the HW and showcase all of its abilities.
It'd be boring, but from a purely technical curiosity perspective, I wouldn't mind them releasing FAST again on Switch 2 so we could see how things have improved once more.

I never was super interested in the idea of Shin'en handling a new F-Zero game, but I wonder if they have the skills to do a faithful remaster of F-Zero GX with lots of bells and whistles? I also would be interested in Nintendo handing them a different IP to work on, like those early Switch days when Nintendo published a few indies and let a Zelda spin-off happen. I don't know what would make sense for them, though. Does The Touryst (a game I've never played) overlap at all with StarTropics (a game I've never played)? Could they do a StarFox?

I get the feeling they probably haven't had a hit in a while (unless The Touryst and The Punchuin did better than I expected), so if they're still financially afloat, I've wondered if they possibly have a contract with someone...

Last edited:
As I said, I expect Nintendo to release a Pokémon edition Switch console to keep the Switch sales high.

Still, 13.5 is a huge forecast. Especially for their 8th year. Only a 2m down from their 2024 forecast (15.5m, they beat that with 15.7m). So far they sold only 2 million, 11.5m left to go. Not an easy task. If they don't have the power of Pokémon helping that, they might not succeed at all. But I think will, I totally expect the successor to be supply constrained at launch, pushing people who want to replace their old console to a cheaper new Pokémon edition one.
You're assuming Z-A will release this Fiscal Year. (So February/March as those are empty still)
But GameFreak has only given a generic 2025 release date, unlike with Arceus when they gave an Early 2023 window.
IMO it's a Summer game at the very least, so most likely after Switch 2 has already released.

You're assuming Z-A will release this Fiscal Year. (So February/March as those are empty still)
But GameFreak has only given a generic 2025 release date, unlike with Arceus when they gave an Early 2023 window.
IMO it's a Summer game at the very least, so most likely after Switch 2 has already released.
It's a summer game for sure. We get our first look on August, and then a 8-9 month waiting period between teaser and release as usual.

show Age of Calamity running at a locked 60fps if you really want to impress the world with the Switch 2's hardware
Impress the three million who bought it. But showing a game that looks like "Breath of the Wild, but kinda shittier if you get up close" probably won't impress the world.

If you want to impress the world, make the screen bigger. The world is pretty easy to impress. Keeping their attention is a different matter entirely.

Impress the three million who bought it. But showing a game that looks like "Breath of the Wild, but kinda shittier if you get up close" probably won't impress the world.

If you want to impress the world, make the screen bigger. The world is pretty easy to impress. Keeping their attention is a different matter entirely.
I wasn't being serious, just poking fun about how shit Age of Calamity ran

I wasn't being serious, just poking fun about how shit Age of Calamity ran
In all seriousness , playing the warriors game with better visuals and 60fps is my biggest wish for Switch 2

I'm also the weirdo who feels AoCs framerate was fine. You can say a lot of shit about it but i feel the framerate Is consistent so you don't feel it as much as a game that waffles between 45 and 20 all the time. It feels better to play than a lot of uncapped games with framerates like that

Showcasing a Switch game to impress people for the Switch 2 seems like a disaster.

Just showcase some NG games and some first party exclusives at 4k/60 probably Mario kart or 3D Mario preferably.
Switch games running better are like a very small part of a Switch 2 presentation

Last edited:
why not use Metroid Prime 4 as a visual showcase for Nintendo next console?
it's already a showcase for the Switch and i think it will be a good test case to show off what Switch 2 can do with upgrade patches, assuming Nintendo roll them out for key titles at launch and want to either sell people on it, give it away for free, or do something in betwene like gate it behind NSO tiers.

I feel like another title will be the showcase for what Switch 2 can do. Maybe a new Mario or whatever Zelda they decide to put on it.

it's already a showcase for the Switch and i think it will be a good test case to show off what Switch 2 can do with upgrade patches, assuming Nintendo roll them out for key titles at launch and want to either sell people on it, give it away for free, or do something in betwene like gate it behind NSO tiers.

I feel like another title will be the showcase for what Switch 2 can do. Maybe a new Mario or whatever Zelda they decide to put on it.
Metroid Prime 4 as you exemplyfy could be a good example how Nintendo will treat cross-gen or backward compatibly, as a showcase for the console itself, i imagine the next 3D Mario could be this game, Tears of the kingdom was just released last year and this septembre we gonna have the first 2D Legend of Zelda in a decade, so making Mario the possible candidate, to show how amazing Switch sucessor is.

Thankfully Metroid Prime 4 will tell us if Nintendo is planning on just patching Switch games to Switch 2 or Metroid Prime 4 will have a separate Switch 2 release.

I'm sort of the same. It's a new team too that's working on and launching the successor and so that's why I'm doubting that they will use Switch in the name.
If it's the same concept as the Switch, it would only cause more confusion if it didn't use the Switch name. It would be like if Apple's next smartphone wasn't called iPhone.

Sometimes I see people saying Nintendo isn't gonna do cross and that cross gen was one of the reasons PS5 didn't have a great start. I think people are comparing apples to oranges here.

Nintendo can have Metroid Prime 4 Beyond, a new Donkey Kong, some Game Cube and 3DS remasters, maybe something niche like Astral Chain or a new iteration of F-Zero as cross gen games. But they'll have 3D Mario and Mario Kart as exclusives and highlight those heavily. They can go as far as announcing the next Animal Crossing (and considering the franchise's history... The next Zelda) and new IPs on the launch year.

PS5 tho had the launch title exclusive being a hardcore soulslike remake of the most niche of the Souls games. At the same time, they had the absolute biggest releases of the generation(before Spider Man 2) releasing for PS4 2 years after the console came out in GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West.

For Nintendo to replicate that they'd have to do something like releasing Smash Bros and Animal Crossing as cross gen games in 2026/27. It's not what's happening. Switch 2 will have megaton exclusives right away, and smaller/niche/remasters/casual/revivals won't affect what "really" matters, which are the system selling software like Super Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Zelda and etc.

Last edited:
Sometimes I see people saying Nintendo isn't gonna do cross and that cross gen was one of the reasons PS5 didn't have a great start. I think people are comparing apples to oranges here.

Nintendo can have Metroid Prime 4 Beyond, a new Donkey Kong, some Game Cube and 3DS remasters, maybe something niche like Astral Chain or a new iteration of F-Zero as cross gen games. But they'll have 3D Mario and Mario Kart as exclusives and highlight those heavily. They can go as far as announcing the next Animal Crossing (and considering the franchise's history... The next Zelda) and new IPs on the launch year.

PS5 tho had the launch title exclusive being a hardcore soulslike remake of the most niche of the Souls games. It also had the "showcase game" being a Ratchet and Clank that failed to break even. At the same time, they had the absolute biggest releases of the generation(before Spider Man 2) releasing for PS4 2 years after the console came out in GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West.

For Nintendo to replicate that they'd have to do something like releasing Smash Bros and Animal Crossing as cross gen games in 2026/27. It's not what's happening. Switch 2 will have megaton exclusives right away, and smaller/niche/remasters/casual/revivals won't affect what "really" matters, which are the system selling software like Super Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Zelda and etc.
Ratchet and Clank broke even, those were projections saying it'd flop

There was a slide  projectingit wouldn't (it was dated in like 2020) but other slides after it released had it as making a profit.
Probably one of Sony few big success of the PS5 generation.

In reality the PS5 gen has made me confuse of what's successful and what's not.
Final fantasy 16 and Rebirth are prime example, since i remember these games being consider a breakout success... Until square mentioned it actually wasn't.

I think the biggest thing missing when it comes to budget and speculating if a game is a financial success is marketing costs.

Since it's one of the reason that Square considered tomb raider underperforming being how big the marketing cost it was and other things
Here's an article talking about Sqaure Enix shadow of tomb raider.

Slap another $35m on top of that for promotion. So, in total, Square Enix is looking at splashing out up to $135m on the new Tomb Raider.

Like... I'm genuinely curios how much Sony Spend on Marketing FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Spider Man 2, since these three titles were heavily marketed, with the exception of Helldiver 2 and funny how the biggest success of the year got no marketing, but was propel by Social Media, especially TikTok.

Moving this question to a more proper thread: how do we think the balance of Switch vs. Switch 2 games will pan out for the successor's first 12 months? Do we believe Nintendo will do their standard "one tentpole release per month" following launch, more or less alternating between exclusives and cross-gen titles, or we'll see a couple months where we get both an exclusive and a cross-gen title published by Nintendo? I'm personally leaning towards the former, with the OG Switch seeing a game every 2 months or so before swiftly tapering off after the successor's first year.

Moving this question to a more proper thread: how do we think the balance of Switch vs. Switch 2 games will pan out for the successor's first 12 months? Do we believe Nintendo will do their standard "one tentpole release per month" following launch, more or less alternating between exclusives and cross-gen titles, or we'll see a couple months where we get both an exclusive and a cross-gen title published by Nintendo? I'm personally leaning towards the former, with the OG Switch seeing a game every 2 months or so before swiftly tapering off after the successor's first year.
I lean to that approach but towards the end of the first year. Let say the system launches March, outside of the exclusives, I think we will get the cross-gens titles once a month till summer, then one every 2 months, that way they can still release a holiday crossgen game which could be Pokemon.

Probably one of Sony few big success of the PS5 generation.

In reality the PS5 gen has made me confuse of what's successful and what's not.
Final fantasy 16 and Rebirth are prime example, since i remember these games being consider a breakout success... Until square mentioned it actually wasn't.

I think the biggest thing missing when it comes to budget and speculating if a game is a financial success is marketing costs.

Since it's one of the reason that Square considered tomb raider underperforming being how big the marketing cost it was and other things
Here's an article talking about Sqaure Enix shadow of tomb raider.

Like... I'm genuinely curios how much Sony Spend on Marketing FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Spider Man 2, since these three titles were heavily marketed, with the exception of Helldiver 2 and funny how the biggest success of the year got no marketing, but was propel by Social Media, especially TikTok.
it's also important to remember the costs of even running Crystal Dynamics (and Eidos Montreal). after SE sold them, their profit margins were revealed, and they are low

bB5E0OH.png
MYJl3V7.png

there's so many variables that it's pretty much impossible for outsiders to figure out the why's and how's

Nintendo when they realise they can charge overpriced Wii ports and making that cross gen titles... The Switch 2 gets 4K/60

black-suit-up.gif

I'm thinking that games made inhouse by Nintendo will be automatic Switch 2 exclusives, meanwhile the quieter months for the Switch 2 will have cross gen title for loved games, i'm now thinking Twilight princess or WW.

Like i'm thinking the only contend the Switch will get are ports, but i'm guessing that certain Nintendo partners will to the usual Switch exclusive. Hal is a prime example.

This is Nintendo's first "unified platform" transition. I don't think we should think in terms of a transition from Wii to Wii U, or even about PS4 style cross-gen. I think we should think in terms of the 3DS.

The handheld platforms allowed Nintendo to continue to make money while transitioning the previous hardware. Nintendo published 13 3DS games in 2017. There is a class of people (I don't consider myself one of them) who believe that Nintendo is beat-for-beat repeating the last transition. Well, if they're going to do that, they won't just want to tap the Switch install base, they need to, so revenue doesn't plummet.

I see lots of possibilities, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of releases next year are on both platforms. Brazil says he knows of two unannounced, Switch-bound remasters (IIRC), Prime 4 and Pokemon Z-A are set for next year, and the long rumored Fire Emblem, if it exists, is a Switch 1 game, as are the similarly rumored Metroid Prime 1+2 HD.

One launch day game, one holiday game - both exclusives - and you're one cross-gen Kirby spinoff away from a full launch year. Not to say that's the exact list we'll get, but there are still a lot of Switch games swirling around in the rumor mill. They can't all release in February.

This is Nintendo's first "unified platform" transition. I don't think we should think in terms of a transition from Wii to Wii U, or even about PS4 style cross-gen. I think we should think in terms of the 3DS.

The handheld platforms allowed Nintendo to continue to make money while transitioning the previous hardware. Nintendo published 13 3DS games in 2017. There is a class of people (I don't consider myself one of them) who believe that Nintendo is beat-for-beat repeating the last transition. Well, if they're going to do that, they won't just want to tap the Switch install base, they need to, so revenue doesn't plummet.

I see lots of possibilities, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of releases next year are on both platforms. Brazil says he knows of two unannounced, Switch-bound remasters (IIRC), Prime 4 and Pokemon Z-A are set for next year, and the long rumored Fire Emblem, if it exists, is a Switch 1 game, as are the similarly rumored Metroid Prime 1+2 HD.

One launch day game, one holiday game - both exclusives - and you're one cross-gen Kirby spinoff away from a full launch year. Not to say that's the exact list we'll get, but there are still a lot of Switch games swirling around in the rumor mill. They can't all release in February.
On the unannounced remasters part, I believe that's correct. I believe the rumor is one 3DS remaster (that's not Kid Icarus Uprising, Metroid: Samus Returns, A Link Between Worlds, or Mario & Luigi Dream Team) and one GameCube remaster.

Me either. I need to find someone to spoil me by launch haha.
I'd be very pleased with a smooth transition because I don't think I'll get a Switch 2 at launch due to money constraints... :(
Y’all can always wait for the holiday and get the system then, since the software has build up.

For me, I got my Switch 2 money saved in a piggy bank.

Other than that, there’s no rush getting the system right away, since the Switch launch was kinda barren, filled with Indies games and botw, until the software gradually build until holiday 2017.

Y’all can always wait for the holiday and get the system then, since the software has build up.

For me, I got my Switch 2 money saved in a piggy bank.

Other than that, there’s no rush getting the system right away, since the Switch launch was kinda barren, filled with Indies games and botw, until the software gradually build until holiday 2017.
I’m trying very hard to save as much money as I can for Switch 2 to accommodate for any possible outcome (whether it ends up being $300 or even $500) but man Nintendo continuing to make games that strike my interest is making me really struggle lol

I’m trying very hard to save as much money as I can for Switch 2 to accommodate for any possible outcome (whether it ends up being $300 or even $500) but man Nintendo continuing to make games that strike my interest is making me really struggle lol
It's crazy how Nintendo are still making bangers exclusives, despite us being in it's final years.

A new Zelda and Mario and Luigi game is insane to think about, same goes for DQ 3 HD remake.

For me i'll only buy Zelda and M&L, with that i'll just finish my backlog from the PS5, probably KH collection.

Back
Top Bottom