• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 225 79.2%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 25 8.8%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
The real question is Diablo 4's chances on the successor. Both Diablo games were among the best selling third party games on Switch but we still don't know if MS will go ahead with a port...

Given Diablo 4 is already multiplatform, i don't think there would be any issue for a possible ReDraketed port.

Diablo 5 is the more interesting question.

Given Diablo 4 is already multiplatform, i don't think there would be any issue for a possible ReDraketed port.
Nah, Microsoft isn't a "nice person" like that.

Double Fine was planning to release all of their lineup on Switch but when they got acquired by MS, those plans got canned. Only Grim Fandango managed to made it to Switch. All planned releases were multiplatform too, on both PS4 and Vita. And now the Xbox consoles struggle in sales, I can see MS going for stricter measures...

Diablo 4 not on ReDraketed though wouldn't be a good way to combat the struggling console sales of XBox. Diablo 5 exclusive would be. ;D

Also, if MS wants something short-term, it's not that much about console sales, but getting back the money they spent asap.
A Diablo 4 port does help a bit for that.

Gamepass sub increases should happen naturally once CoD gets added to it.

Had my first Switch 2 dream.

I was at a super market where I used to work as a student and a woman working there accidentally showed me part of a pre-release brochure. Games included were Resident Evil 2, an upgraded Ocarina of Time, and a Batman game. The release date was 2X April 2024. Can’t remember the final digit.

Last edited:

I was at a super market where I used to work as a student and a woman working there accidentally showed me part of a pre-release brochure. Games included were Resident Evil 2, an upgraded Ocarina of Time, and a Batman game. The release date was 2X April 2023. Can’t remember the final digit.

Do you mean April 2024? Or why did you dream in the past? ^^

The real question is Diablo 4's chances on the successor. Both Diablo games were among the best selling third party games on Switch but we still don't know if MS will go ahead with a port...
Diablo 4 is essentially a live service game, it's one of the safest predictions for a port.

I think FROM is too Sony-cuddly to ever work on a or create a new first party IP with any other console maker.

But in case they were open to do so, i'd want a Soulsborne game in the Fire Emblem universe from them.
Though my #1 wanted game from them is that they would work on a 3D Castlevania game.

Bloodborne is pretty much how a 3D Castlevania should be done. It even comes with a whip-weapon (Threaded Cane)! ^^

I'm going off of nothing but a purely (mostly) educated guess but I have a strong feeling that EPD Group 5 (known for Animal Crossing, Splatoon games on Switch) is making something for NG. Splatoon 3 came out last year and they haven't worked on any ports unlike any of the other internal development studios at Nintendo (EPD Groups 3, 4, 8, 9, 10) - not that there's much they worked on when they were known as EAD Group 2 that's probably even worth porting - I mean, would anyone even want to see a port of the original Splatoon or Wii Play or Wii Music? Maybe a Wild World/City Folk/New Leaf remake? Ideally I'd want a Nintendo Switch Sports Resort but the team behind Switch Sports is different (Group 4).

Besides ports or remakes though I really believe this group is working on something since we have not had anything announced so far - so I think it's a little too late for them to be developing on solely current-gen Switch. Maybe Animal Crossing and Splatoon for NG but also maybe even a new IP.

I was just mainly pointing them out since I guess EPD Groups 8 and 9 (Super Mario and Mario Kart respectively) are kind of the 'usual suspects' with regards to groups we'd be expecting to develop for NG right now - of course we are going to get a 3D Mario and a Mario Kart game fairly soon, if things are looking good development-wise then maybe even the same year the new console releases or as a launch title. You never know because Nintendo just loves to sit on stuff (like TOTK, deservedly so). I guess with this information in mind we could also maybe infer a big Animal Crossing push since New Horizons was so successful on Switch - it's still second to Mario Kart in terms of most total copies sold.

My guess is based off of what the various EPD Groups have been working on lately is that the ones we will hear from relatively soon in terms of games announced for NG are:
  • EPD Group 8 (3D Mario games)
  • EPD Group 9 (Mario Kart games)
  • EPD Group 5 (Animal Crossing/Splatoon games)
The group we just might hear from anyway because they're a bit of a wild card is:
  • EPD Group 4 (experimental games like Sports, Labo, Home Circuit, Ring Fit, etc.)
And the groups I think we won't hear from too soon since they're probably too early in development are:
  • EPD Group 3 (Zelda games)
  • EPD Group 10 (Pikmin and 2.5D Mario games)
We could, however, still end up with a Zelda or Pikmin or Mario spinoff/Super Mario Maker 3 helmed by these groups.

These are, of course, Nintendo's mostly exclusively internal studios. EPD Group 7 which supervises the 2.5D Metroids could still be collaborating with MercurySteam on another for NG, and we already know Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a big focus for EPD Group 6 whether it comes out for current-gen Switch or NG. EPD Group 1 seems to have been AWOL since 2020 so they're perhaps collaborating with an external studio on games for NG? And then there's EPD Group 2 which has a few titles announced for this year and 2024 including Super Mario RPG.
my bets for possible games Nintendo internal team/subsidiaries/colaborators is making for Switch sucessor: EPD 8 is working on the next 3D Mario, EPD 9 on next Mario Kart, EPD 3 has begin work on the next Legend of Zelda(problaby coming in 2027/2028), EPD 10 pre-production on Pikimin 5, EPD 4 working on a game or IP to showcase Nintendo Switch sucessor main concepth/gimmick, EPD 7 if rumors are correct they are working together with Mercury Steam on Metroid 6, EPD 5 working on the next Animal Crossing(Splatoon 4 might come later, Nintendo will prioritize Animal Crossing now, give Animal Crossing New Horizon is the second best selling game on Switch), Hal Laboratory working on the next 2D or 3D Kirby game, also on Kirby Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot and some spin-off , Retro Studios maybe ending the development of Metroid Prime 4 and polishing the game for both Switch and it sucessor, Monolith Soft working on the action RPG/Xenoblade Chronicles 4, ND Cube working on the next Mario Party, Grezzo working on a remake of a Nintendo IP(might be another Legend of Zelda remake)

honestly, nothing is safe at EPD

• 3D Mario got an outsourced pint-sized project in Bowser's Fury
  • Zelda gets a lot of its modern identity from Monolith
  • Animal Crossing Pocket Camp was NDCube (lol)
  • Mario Kart as a series has a lot of history with Bandai Namco

technically the safest bet for a series to stay primarily internal for the next few years is Splatoon, which is too young to have any history of being contracted out. that can change in an instant though, and I suspect it will
without such colaborations as this, Nintendo Switch would never have a constant cadence of games as it have now, also game development today take much more resources/personal then in 20 years ago, a game that was developed in 3/4 years with a 50/100 development staff, would take now 4/6 years and a 1.446 development staff, you cant make such game now, simply by developing internally, outsourcing/colaborations, help Nintendo in this huge project, imagine if Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom, or any IP dont have this colaborations, we probably be waiting for Breath of the Wild until today

I've been thinking a bit about how a possible PR announcement would be.

Of course, dry as fuck. Might not even mention the name and use the codename instead.
Also, no games stuff, neither first party nor third party.

But i think they should have one very specific info in the PR already: That the new system will be able to play Switch games, both physical and digital ones.

Feeling that adding this little tidbit would calm a lot of minds instantly and might even lead to more spotlight on what otherwise would be a dry PR that not a lot of people really care for.

I've been thinking a bit about how a possible PR announcement would be.

Of course, dry as fuck. Might not even mention the name and use the codename instead.
Also, no games stuff, neither first party nor third party.

But i think they should have one very specific info in the PR already: That the new system will be able to play Switch games, both physical and digital ones.

Feeling that adding this little tidbit would calm a lot of minds instantly and might even lead to more spotlight on what otherwise would be a dry PR that not a lot of people really care for.
The dry NX reveal was due to pressure due to rumors that Nintendo was leaving the console business wasn't it?

If it's releasing in September, I think everyone agrees it wouldn't be announced this year, it wouldn't make a ton of sense at that point.

The thing is, it's not like the Switch 2 is likely to fail. They would have to mess up so incredibly badly for this to be another Wii U situation. They don't really need to wait until Switch hardware sales slow down since, as people said before, people buying it this late into the generation are likely not going to buy the Switch 2 close to launch anyway. The games coming out next year are clearly to satisfy Switch owners only instead of trying to bring in people they haven't already sold a Switch 2. I think that heavily implies they would want to reveal the system before the remake train starts. After Wonder, there isn't a known original blockbuster to look forward to.

At the point we're at, we basically have a 4-month period with only remakes, November - February, when that's what you're releasing during Winter, it just seems weird to me that they would want to hold off. I honestly think the possible original Switch-focused software they have left, like DK, would greatly benefit if we have the successor announced and if it's backward compatible.
Princess Peach Showtime i am a joke to you?

Pick one launch title burger (two if you hungry)

F8Ccd3lXoAAFw8f
3D Mario e Metroid Prime 4 please

Guys, this is gonna sound weird, but:
• What if instead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultra, we get Mario Kart 9/10, with 8 Deluxe content and Booster Pass stuff as well? It’s like packaging MK8D inside a new game.

So Nintendo is gonna launch the Switch 2 with MK9/10 instead of just redoing MK8 again. I presume there’s some brand fatigue with MK8, seeing as how almost everyone has it, unlike the Wii U days.

And this isn’t just about MK8 as a title. MK8 is part of the Mario Kart subfranchise. Nintendo needs to reinvigorate the MK spinoff line.

Plus part of communicating that the Switch’s successor is a next gen system is to develop exclusive software for it. Yet another MK8 release could be confusing for customers. Consumers might expect the Switch 2 exclusive MK8D Ultra to run on OG Switch.

Also, this is a joke, but:
• MK9 + MK8DBP content could be the Smash Ultimate of MK: everyone and every track is here! Ahhaha

Guys, this is gonna sound weird, but:
• What if instead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultra, we get Mario Kart 9/10, with 8 Deluxe content and Booster Pass stuff as well? It’s like packaging MK8D inside a new game.

So Nintendo is gonna launch the Switch 2 with MK9/10 instead of just redoing MK8 again. I presume there’s some brand fatigue with MK8, seeing as how almost everyone has it, unlike the Wii U days.

And this isn’t just about MK8 as a title. MK8 is part of the Mario Kart subfranchise. Nintendo needs to reinvigorate the MK spinoff line.

Plus part of communicating that the Switch’s successor is a next gen system is to develop exclusive software for it. Yet another MK8 release could be confusing for customers. Consumers might expect the Switch 2 exclusive MK8D Ultra to run on OG Switch.

Also, this is a joke, but:
• MK9 + MK8DBP content could be the Smash Ultimate of MK: everyone and every track is here! Ahhaha
Mario Kart 9 is Mario Kart Tour

Announcing the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultra Booster Course Pass Wave 1 for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ultra game!

I kinda want this to be a thing simply because i wanna hear the Nintendo Direct voice-over guy to rock this sentence like a boss.

Yes, it was at the conference where they announced they would start to make mobile games with DeNA. It was to calm investors and the general public that they would still continue to make video game consoles.
So the Switch 2 could be directly announced by a short video without ever revealing its codename publicly.

I was at a super market where I used to work as a student and a woman working there accidentally showed me part of a pre-release brochure. Games included were Resident Evil 2, an upgraded Ocarina of Time, and a Batman game. The release date was 2X April 2024. Can’t remember the final digit.

Even your subconscious is trying to redirect you to the Light and to Trust the Process :ROFLMAO:

All hope is not lost Yolk! It's warm and cozy here, come join us

You know what I really hope Nintendo strike soon with the Switch 2

I mean Sony and the PS5 do not seems to have a bright future ahead when the Slim as been a disaster of announcment, and Bungie basically send and them in to emergency mode "ah yes all this live service are shit drop them"

Really Sony is really reminds of the PS3 days with MGS4 in place of FFXVI

Ah and Sony VR is basically a money Blackhole

I mean Sony and the PS5 do not seems to have a bright future ahead when the Slim as been a disaster of announcment, and Bungie basically send and them in to emergency mode "ah yes all this live service are shit drop them"

nah sony will continue to do well especially in the us. Nintendo will do better in japan tho. But ps5 is always top selling in the us npd I dont think the slim version will change that honestly people will still buy it despite people online calling it ugly

Nintendo when Smash Ultimate Deluxe Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series only hits 25mil (they are going out of business)

yeah honestly they put a deluxe sticker on something and it will sell well, mario kart is still like top 10 sold every week and its just a wii u port lol. Nintendo is a business they will do whatever for less work more profit

Sony is doing really good, also no need for console warring like this imo

My guess is based off of what the various EPD Groups have been working on lately is that the ones we will hear from relatively soon in terms of games announced for NG are:
  • EPD Group 8 (3D Mario games)
  • EPD Group 9 (Mario Kart games)
  • EPD Group 5 (Animal Crossing/Splatoon games)
The group we just might hear from anyway because they're a bit of a wild card is:
  • EPD Group 4 (experimental games like Sports, Labo, Home Circuit, Ring Fit, etc.)
And the groups I think we won't hear from too soon since they're probably too early in development are:
  • EPD Group 3 (Zelda games)
  • EPD Group 10 (Pikmin and 2.5D Mario games)
We could, however, still end up with a Zelda or Pikmin or Mario spinoff/Super Mario Maker 3 helmed by these groups.

These are, of course, Nintendo's mostly exclusively internal studios. EPD Group 7 which supervises the 2.5D Metroids could still be collaborating with MercurySteam on another for NG, and we already know Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a big focus for EPD Group 6 whether it comes out for current-gen Switch or NG. EPD Group 1 seems to have been AWOL since 2020 so they're perhaps collaborating with an external studio on games for NG? And then there's EPD Group 2 which has a few titles announced for this year and 2024 including Super Mario RPG.
This is a pretty sensible guess, really. To add detail to this:

- EPD 8
They have two games in development and haven't been the primary developer of an original game since 2017 (Super Mario Odyssey). Their 3D game issued a hiring call in October 2019, and a 2D project issued a hiring call in August 2020. Both of these games should be candidates for the cross-gen period/new hardware. EPD 8 did port 3D World, produce/co-develop Bowser's Fury (with NST & 1-UP), and produce 3D All-Stars (with NERD & iQue), but all of these projects were small in scope. They moved to new larger offices in either 2019 or 2020, so may have expanded as a group; their 3D title is presumably Super Mario and is presumably co-developed with 1-UP Studio (and perhaps NST have a supporting role, though they've been busy with 2 projects since Bowser's Fury). A possible shift to the shared ModuleSystem game engine (used in Splatoon 3, Switch Sports and Tears of the Kingdom) might also explain the prolonged absence from EPD 8 as they expanded, reorganised, and familiarised themselves with new tools instead of continuing with their own custom engine. The 2D title is unknown, but rumours pointed to DK. I'd say the 3D title is a year one candidate for next-gen and the 2D game follows in 2025/year two.
- EPD 9
They haven't led development on a new game since 2017, and their exact role with Mario Kart Tour (2019) is difficult to parse given an absence of credits for the game as well as the previous existence of an EPD smart devices group. EPD 9 did serve as producer for Mario Kart Live, where primary development was handled by Velan Studios, and presumably they at least produced the DLC for 8 DX though again, an absence of credits makes the exact development arrangements difficult to ascertain. However, EPD 9 are in much the same situation as EPD 8, whereby it's been a fair period of time (at least four years) since they last shipped a major product and therefore, given Mario Kart's importance, you'd expect EPD 9 to be a year one candidate for next-gen.
- EPD 4
They haven't been as 'absent' as long as the two other groups, but they have been very prolific on Switch. They led development on 1-2 Switch (2017), Labo (2018-19), Ring Fit Adventure (2019), Game Builder Garage (2021) and Switch Sports (2022), and also served as the producer for Brain Training (2019 with indieszero), Big Brain Academy (2021 with indieszero), Miitopia (2021 with Grezzo) and Everybody 1-2 Switch (2023, with NdCube). Given how prolific they are, and given Everybody 1-2 Switch was eventually handed over to NdCube and Switch Sports updates have stopped, I'd assume EPD 4 are all hands on deck to get projects out on new hardware as soon as possible. I'd consider them a strong candidate for new IP in year one and a Ring Fit Adventure follow up in year two or three.
- EPD 5
I had actually thought they're slightly less likely to turn up just as soon as the three groups listed above, but when you stop and look at their output they've shipped a major product on a near-annual basis on Switch (Splatoon 2, 2017; Octo Expansion 2018, Animal Crossing 2020; Happy Home Paradise 2021; Splatoon 3 2022; Side Order 2024). Animal Crossing is enormously more popular now than it ever has been, and, incoming Lego aside, it's bizarre to me that Nintendo are yet to try and capitalise on that popularity with either a spin-off, remake, or a similar style franchise (Tomodachis of the world, unite). I'd peg EPD 5 as a potential 2025 title and it could well be the next mainline Animal Crossing coming at an earlier point in the next generation than it managed on Switch. Not unprecedented at all; Animal Crossing launched towards the end of 3DS's second year in Japan (2012) and the end of the DS's first year in Japan and North America (2005).
- EPD 7
The future of Tomodachi is up in the air in terms of who actually handles the next title, and it's possible this has become an EPD 4 property. It's also unclear if EPD 7 are still internal plus external development, or have shifted over entirely to being an external group. That uncertainty being the case, I'd say the safest bet for the next EPD 7 title is Metroid 6, with MercurySteam, probably launching in 2025. Perhaps Nintendo and EPD 7 spring a cross-gen Tomodachi title from somewhere, because I think at least some key staff for that game have been inactive for a while, but I'm not sure that's a safe bet.
- EPD 10
Having just shipped Pikmin 4 (with Eighting) and now shipping Super Mario Bros Wonder, you'd have to assume it's 3 to 4 years before we see more from this group. Given the success of Pikmin 4 and the development support provided by Eighting, we may well see Pikmin 5 before we see the next Super Mario Bros.
- EPD 3
Difficult to judge. I suspect we'll at least see EPD 3 turn up in a producing capacity in the next couple of years; Wind Waker or Twilight Princess provide easy port fodder as a late Switch/early next-gen filler title; Grezzo might turn out a remake of an older 2D Zelda; a third Hyrule Warriors feels inevitable given the success of Age of Calamity. The real question is whether Aonuma's ambition to retool 2D/'portable' Zelda comes to fruition, and whether any younger minds at EPD have been given the chance to take charge of that series. Aonuma's 2017 comments pointed to a future for that sub-series, and though I expect co-development would have to happen, I do expect EPD 3 to take firm control if they are making new 2D Zelda. Absent new 2D Zelda, expect the legendary franchise to be limited to re-releases and spin-offs for the next 4 to 6 years.

I was gonna run through likely subsidiaries, but this is already a wall of text...

Is not console warring I just hope Nintendo kicking some asses might make Sony realize "hey remember when we where cool? " and male sony actual games instead of movies that claim to have super narratives...that was already done better on ps2 in 2000
A ton of people still love those games and think they are cool lol. And they still sell amazing. How is sony doomed by making those types of games? You may not like them but they are popular

Nintendo when Smash Ultimate Deluxe Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series only hits 25mil (they are going out of business)

The only reason why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold so well was because the Wii U flopped. Considering the switch 2 will be backwards compatible and everyone has already played MK8D, why would anyone buy a new version of the same game, when they can play the old version for free on the same system.

The only reason why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold so well was because the Wii U flopped. Considering the switch 2 will be backwards compatible and everyone has already played MK8D, why would anyone buy a new version of the same game, when they can play the old version for free on the same system.
I guess that would be an incentive for them to remove bc, sell old switch games remastered. I could see it happen sadly

"Hey look, Smash has insert notable third party characters now, and rollback netcode!"

The MS / Activision aquisition is done, deal just finalized. MS officially owns ActiBlizz now.

And with that, CoD is back on Nintendo consoles. Gotta be interesting next year seeing the combined frenzy of a new console and said console having CoD.

yeah honestly they put a deluxe sticker on something and it will sell well, mario kart is still like top 10 sold every week and its just a wii u port lol. Nintendo is a business they will do whatever for less work more profit
That’s not going to work here. This isn’t a flopping Wii U. Nintendo will develop a new product to sell their new system. An old Mario Kart we can all get isn’t some big business profit for their new system.

"Hey look, Smash has insert notable third party characters now, and rollback netcode!"
The general audience do not care for rollback netcode. They don't even know what it means. That would only be something that would appeal to competitive players.

Furthermore, we do not know if Nintendo can even rerelease smash ultimate considering all the third party agreements they had to make. Adding new characters to ultimate will be fun, but its still the same core game we have all been playing for the past 5 years and again, we can still play it through BC.

Also, I think the general audience of Nintendo would not be pleased with having to play the same game for the next generation.

The general audience do not care for rollback netcode. They don't even know what it means. That would only be something that would appeal to competitive players.

Furthermore, we do not know if Nintendo can even rerelease smash ultimate considering all the third party agreements they had to make. Adding new characters to ultimate will be fun, but its still the same core game we have all been playing for the past 5 years and again, we can still play it through BC.

Also, I think the general audience of Nintendo would not be pleased with having to play the same game for the next generation.
You can advertise it as improved online, the GA will know what that means.

I imagine Nintendo can just, renegotiate deals (and I imagine all deals for pass 2 had future rereleases in mind.)

You're talking about the same group of people that'd gladly rebuy GTAV 10 times.

Back
Top Bottom