• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 225 79.2%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 25 8.8%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
They already have moved up their Holiday plans, I’m not entirely sure why people are thinking that a announcement of any kind in November would hurt Holiday sales when they could be doing it earlier specifically to avoid that issue.

Something that should be noted is that all of the bundles that released were on the 6th. The reveal could be on November 7th and that’ll give them exactly one full month of Holiday marketing specifically for Switch hardware. I don’t think that timing is a coincidence, there was no reason for them to release 4 different Switch bundles on the same day, especially when they’ve historically spread them out.

Anyway I think this specific conversation about eating into their Holiday says has been extended to its max with the current info we know. We’ve been repeating similar points for awhile now, and that probably won’t change until we reach November 7th, lol.
Another point to add to your amiibo restocks...

If it was a holiday restock, I think they would've restocked alongside their earlier holiday plans (October 6th). So I'm really interested to see what it could be restocking for.

They already have moved up their Holiday plans, I’m not entirely sure why people are thinking that a announcement of any kind in November would hurt Holiday sales when they could be doing it earlier specifically to avoid that issue.

Something that should be noted is that all of the bundles that released were on the 6th. The reveal could be on November 7th and that’ll give them exactly one full month of Holiday marketing specifically for Switch hardware. I don’t think that timing is a coincidence, there was no reason for them to release 4 different Switch bundles on the same day, especially when they’ve historically spread them out.

Anyway I think this specific conversation about eating into their Holiday says has been extended to its max with the current info we know. We’ve been repeating similar points for awhile now, and that probably won’t change until we reach November 7th, lol.
Again, holiday shopping starting early is a trend that can be seen with a lot of companies. It’s not limited to just Nintendo.

if we get anything at the investors meating at most it will be "we plan on releasing new hardware next financial year" and maybe the code name

This only adds to my doubt that Nintendo will announce the Switch 2 this year. The Switch 1 is clearly still selling, & Nintendo probably wants it to have one last holiday season in the sun before the successor is revealed.

I love y'all but you really need to stop with the whole "Nintendo is going to do this and that because the Switch is still selling and we still have games coming up"

That's how momentum works. You don't wait till your system is beaten and bruised to announce a successor, you do it when the time is right, and keeping up good momentum actually helps that. Nintendo not having major gaps in their schedule also doesnt mean anything, it just reflects that they're a software publisher just as much as a console manufacturer and software publishing is just as important as their hardware.

Nintendo is not going to delay the Switch 2 because TTYD and Warioware Move It are holding down the line. This isn't a game of seeing who can hold their breath the longest. They'll do it when it's right, not saying it's now but c'mon.

if we get anything at the investors meating at most it will be "we plan on releasing new hardware next financial year" and maybe the code name
This is likely all we’re gonna get this calendar year, if anything.

I love y'all but you really need to stop with the whole "Nintendo is going to do this and that because the Switch is still selling and we still have games coming up"

That's how momentum works. You don't wait till your system is beaten and bruised to announce a successor, you do it when the time is right, and keeping up good momentum actually helps that. Nintendo not having major gaps in their schedule also doesnt mean anything, it just reflects that they're a software publisher just as much as a console manufacturer and software publishing is just as important as their hardware.

Nintendo is not going to delay the Switch 2 because TTYD and Warioware Move It are holding down the line. This isn't a game of seeing who can hold their breath the longest. They'll do it when it's right, not saying it's now but c'mon.
I’m well aware, hence why I said this…
I never said that, whatever their plans are have been set in stone a while ago. I’m just saying that these are the kind of numbers Nintendo was likely hoping for when making their transition plans, so they wouldn’t have put them in danger by announcing the Switch 2 during the holiday season.

Again, holiday shopping starting early is a trend that can be seen with a lot of companies. It’s not just limited to Nintendo.
I never said it was limited. I'm just saying it could be the reason. Sony nor Microsoft are having any first party Holiday sales with their hardware right now, and Sony is specifically releasing the Silm in November, so I'm not sure why Nintendo would feel the need to do it earlier. The other reason could be that they're doing it earlier simply due to them wanting to. I just think with the other pieces of evidence we have, it would be weirder to me if this all ended up being a coincidence. They don't exactly benefit from doing it a month earlier, nor do they really lose anything either.

It's completely possible for it all to be, though, with speculation, every lead you can find can always be chalked up to it being a "coincidence".

Last edited:
I never said it was limited. I'm just saying it could be the reason. Sony nor Microsoft are having any first party Holiday sales with their hardware right now, and Sony is specifically releasing the Silm in November, so I'm not sure why Nintendo would feel the need to do it earlier. The other reason could be that they're doing it earlier simply due to them wanting to. I just think with the other pieces of evidence we have, it would be weirder to me if this all ended up being a coincidence. They don't exactly benefit from doing it a month earlier, nor do they really lose anything either.

It's completely possible for it all to be, though, with speculation, every lead you can find can always be chalked up to it being a "coincidence".

It's not really about holidays; Nintendo's last big release of the year is imminent and they've timed discounts to coincide with its release.

Much as Nintendo might want to, they actually don't have the ability to move the busy shopping period of the year for customers, that's still going to be the couple of months leading to Christmas, like it always is.

honestly, nothing is safe at EPD

• 3D Mario got an outsourced pint-sized project in Bowser's Fury
  • Zelda gets a lot of its modern identity from Monolith
  • Animal Crossing Pocket Camp was NDCube (lol)
  • Mario Kart as a series has a lot of history with Bandai Namco

technically the safest bet for a series to stay primarily internal for the next few years is Splatoon, which is too young to have any history of being contracted out. that can change in an instant though, and I suspect it will
I don‘t get this. Only because they work together with other Companies for Asset Creation or to gather certain knowledge it dosen‘t mean that games like Mariokart or Zelda aren‘t primarily internal. For them it’s only a good thing to look for external partners when they feel that they need more resources. The Alternative would be that they take even more time to develop their games or reduce the scope.

With Monolith they have their internal expert on certain technical things. You could argue that they need in the same way a production department that only does Assets and Animation, so that they don‘t need to rely too much on external Partners like Bandai. Though they seem to have a very good relationship with them for years now.

In any case it would be wasted time when the core team spends too much time on producing everything.

honestly, nothing is safe at EPD

• 3D Mario got an outsourced pint-sized project in Bowser's Fury
  • Zelda gets a lot of its modern identity from Monolith
  • Animal Crossing Pocket Camp was NDCube (lol)
  • Mario Kart as a series has a lot of history with Bandai Namco

technically the safest bet for a series to stay primarily internal for the next few years is Splatoon, which is too young to have any history of being contracted out. that can change in an instant though, and I suspect it will
Racc, get out of the garbage

I don‘t get this. Only because they work together with other Companies for Asset Creation or to gather certain knowledge it dosen‘t mean that games like Mariokart or Zelda aren‘t primarily internal. For them it’s only a good thing to look for external partners when they feel that they need more resources. The Alternative would be that they take even more time to develop their games or reduce the scope.

With Monolith they have their internal expert on certain technical things. You could argue that they need in the same way a production department that only does Assets and Animation, so that they don‘t need to rely too much on external Partners like Bandai. Though they seem to have a very good relationship with them for years now.

In any case it would be wasted time when the core team spends too much time on producing everything.
I think I was unclear. I'm not saying that currently those series aren't primarily EPD (unless one wanted to call Bowser's Fury, the most recent 3D Mario, a mainline game). I'm just suggesting that those series aren't untouchable and that pretty much anything can go

if it gets us more original ideas from EPD, including one-offs like ARMS, then I'm all for it

I think I was unclear. I'm not saying that currently those series aren't primarily EPD (unless one wanted to call Bowser's Fury, the most recent 3D Mario, a mainline game). I'm just suggesting that those series aren't untouchable and that pretty much anything can go

if it gets us more original ideas from EPD, including one-offs like ARMS, then I'm all for it
I mean, they could very easily revisit ARMS after MK10. It’s not like the game bombed.

Pretty sure arms only doing about 3m nixed the chances of many future endeavours like it, solely from a EPD team, unfortunately. The nearest selling game from a EPD team that wasn't one of EPD4s weird cheap Minigames (i.e. 1-2 switch, labo, game builder garage) was mario maker 2, at about 3 times the sales. Doesn't mean they can't have EPD lead an idea and then have a partner do most of the legwork. They've pretty solidly shifted to fully partnering up even on several series that prior have been entirely epd productions like pikmin. There's a premium on EPD time, for better or worse.

Incidentally, and my personal hope if they want to have that game followed up on, I bet next level games would do a great ARMS 2. That's something that would be right up their alleyway, highly expressive characters relying on quality animation, but in a way that doesn't require a excessively large world or number of assets outside of the characters

Pretty sure arms only doing about 3m nixed the chances of many future endeavours like it, solely from a EPD team, unfortunately. The nearest selling game from a EPD team that wasn't one of EPD4s weird cheap Minigames (i.e. 1-2 switch, labo, game builder garage) was mario maker 2, at about 3 times the sales. Doesn't mean they can't have EPD lead an idea and then have a partner do most of the legwork. They've pretty solidly shifted to fully partnering up even on several series that prior have been entirely epd productions like pikmin. There's a premium on EPD time, for better or worse.

Incidentally, and my personal hope if they want to have that game followed up on, I bet next level games would do a great ARMS 2. That's something that would be right up their alleyway, highly expressive characters relying on quality animation, but in a way that doesn't require a excessively large world or number of assets outside of the characters
Eighting might be a safer bet since they actually have fighting game experience.

Considering Nintendos approach to a GaaS Animal Crossing was to cut out basic day 1 content and string along fans in hopes that super basic elements that were series constants would be added one day, only to ultimately end up with a game that is still feature-incomplete in comparison to the past games, I'm gonna have to say no thank you.

I'd be fine with the occasional new furniture set or new holiday items for a couple of years, so long as it's not straining on the devs or anything, but I very much just want the next AC game to be feature complete.

Also a huge part of a social sim like AC is having goals to work towards. A update is not a goal it's just a download and then boom there's the new content.

I'm not going to lie, at this point I think that

a- NH was done as a GaaS
  • to avoid releasing a new AC game 2/3rds of the way into the Switch's lifecycle, because that's a prime evergreen candidate right there (yet Animal Crossing is a bit of a logistical nightmare on account of the entire "lots of dialogue and lots of models, but also needing to release in every region at roughly the same time so people can play together" thing, and it's especially a logistical nightmare when you've transitioned into making an HD game after making arguably the Biggest AC Yet and there's the expectation to go Even Bigger)
  • because Pocket Camp had brought a load of new people to Animal Crossing, and that is in itself a GaaS
  • to steadily wean newcomers to AC onto AC by introducing new stuff on a seasonal basis, as opposed to going "HERE'S A LOAD OF STUFF K BYE"
  • because the producer of AC, Hisashi Nogami, had also produced Splatoon (the Nintendo GaaS)
  • because the Wii U failed because it didn't have enough games coming out regularly for it, and developing stuff for one platform can only go so far (turns out, if you make GaaS games, you can put out games more regularly!)
b- NH isn't feature-incomplete and it isn't currently missing anything basic. It's feature-complete, it's just that either characters that don't appear have had their functions handed over to other characters (like Label, Daisy Mae, CJ and Flick being replacements for Gracie, Joan, Chip and Nat) or at worst, inanimate objects (but this is all part of NH's premise! It's meant to be away from the regular environs of AC) or have had weird semi-QOL fixes that mean they no longer need to do something (more specifically, this is to do with the lack of shop upgrades. I think there are very good reasons for there not being any, like "there is a cabinet with infinite amounts of stuff in it in the shop, and shop upgrades were largely to do with the amount of inventory". There's a load of smaller things that've gone missing, but in general there's a load of new smaller things. For example, there's a load of furniture and a couple of wallpapers that aren't there, but on the other hand there's a load of furniture that wasn't there before. The fruits that were introduced in NL aren't there... but there's vegetables now!

c- a good portion of those goals (like "fully expand your house" or "donate all the fish, bugs and fossils to the museum") are in the game from Day 1, and "Having all the special characters open up shops in your village out of nowhere if you spend a certain amount of money, making the world of Animal Crossing seem like it's only your village instead of a wider world that these characters traverse" isn't really satisfying progression to me. I like my Animal Crossing village ISOLATED, dammit! It's a rural slice of nothing, not a large town with animals in it.

(I'd also like to say that there are goals you have to work for for stuff that's added in updates, it's just you've probably long-since done them before the thing's been added)

Pretty sure arms only doing about 3m nixed the chances of many future endeavours like it, solely from a EPD team, unfortunately.

Eighting might be a safer bet since they actually have fighting game experience.
Maybe I missed something or maybe we're all talking past each other, but Arms wasn't a Nintendo-only endeavor. They partnered with Bandai Namco, like they do for Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

https://www.bandainamcostudios.com/en/products/arms.html

Outside of smaller EPD4 joints, I'm not sure if there's any Nintendo EPD title in recent years that isn't making use of support teams from other Nintendo studios or close partners.

Outside of smaller EPD4 joints, I'm not sure if there's any Nintendo EPD title in recent years that isn't making use of support teams from other Nintendo studios or close partners.
Yeah. It seems like that’s the standard. I think everyone honestly should be helping each other in the industry.

Switch 2 announcement before the end of the year, alongside simultaneous price cut of OG Switch as drastic as $80 or even $100 across all SKUs, V2 Switch discontinued production so buy it while you still can, OLED and Lite remain in production.

There, a pipe dream that'll never come true.
We’re technically getting price cuts with bundles that include software, but no software price included

Switch is already still selling well week after week I dont think investors are going to drop ship cause they haven't revealed the switch 2
Investors have been asking Nintendo for details about new hardware. They’re in the right. The Switch is gonna finalize its seventh year in the market, and nothing has been said about it. Yes, Switch is selling considerably well for a console that’s “old” in product life cycle standards, but what about next year? The console right now is surpassing last year sales numbers, but that’s not 100% probable next year. Nintendo managed to tap at the replacement market, people that are willing to buy a new console to replace their old one, but that won’t be forever. So to settle down investors anxiety, they may make expressions concerning the successor.

As to whether or not that happens, who knows. We’ll see.

Nintendo isn't going to change the release timeline just because Switch 1 sales is doing better than expected.

Keep in mind Nintendo has forecasted 15m Switch sales numbers this fiscal year; I forgot who brought it up here on Famiboards but it was said that figure seems to be lowballing, despite Switch 1 sales being on a trajectory better than that 15m forecast. I think implying that Nintendo still expects Switch 1 sales numbers to fall somewhat sharply, which is something that could happen if Nintendo happens to announce Switch 2 at some point this fiscal year.

Switch bundles are being advertised heavily and early. They already have price drops baked into the bundle.. instead of $299, you're getting the console for $240, with a $60 game.
Thank you for mentioning this. Reminder:
• Nintendo made a sales forecast. The Switch performing as it is is something they expected.

Whatever plans they have right now, aren’t gonna be altered because the console is selling as expected.

Its only a rush if they're intent on releasing it in March.
It’s only a rush if we get confirmation the console was supposed to release later. All we know is that the successor will be released. For all we know, Nintendo could be on time. Or maybe even delayed for all we know

Announcing your next console 7 years after the previous is not a rush man
Yeah, it's not really a rush at all. They're currently keeping up their momentum with mostly remakes. Them trying to rush it out would have been if it was released in 2022. If anything, in my eyes, it'll be even weirder for them to wait longer than the first half of next year. It's not like in 2016 we only got a bunch of remakes for the 3DS before the Switch came out. Hell, 2016 got a brand new Pokemon game in the Holiday, a month after the Switch was revealed, and it still sold perfectly fine. The Switch doesn't need to do better than what it's already doing. Nintendo can move on whenever they want to, and it would be weird to me for them to drag it out till September or November of next year. Especially since they expect Switch sales to drop a lot next year, why would they want to drag it out when they can keep up the hardware sales by releasing the system earlier in the year?

I am not saying it doesn't make sense for it to be later in the year, but it being earlier feels much more natural to me, considering their current lineup.

Last edited:
Announcing your next console 7 years after the previous is not a rush man

Nintendo announcing Switch 2:

giphy.gif

when they're filling out much of their lineup with remasters/remakes and smaller games then it is not a rush.

One can argue it may actually be well planned out lmfao.

Here are the different configurations of the timeline that I'm guesstimating, which youse should feel free to critique:

For a March 2024 launch

November 2023 - announcement to get ahead of manufacturing

January 2024 - full reveal

March 2024 - release

For a May 2024 launch

November 2023 - optional - vague investor reference, e.g., "We are planning to release new hardware in the middle of calendar year 2024."

January 2024 - announcement

March 2024 - reveal

May 2024 - release

For a September/November 2024 launch

March 2024 - announcement/reveal

Mid 2024 - blowout

September/Novembet 2024 - release

Summary

A 2023 announcement is only really needed if the Switch 2 is coming March/April 2024. If it's coming May 2024 or later, Nintendo can announce after the holidays and avoid impact on holiday sales.

That's not arguing about which case is most likely - just that there are multiple configurations consistent with what we currently know.

If Nintendo actually reveals it this year I will change my avatar to the first photo reply to this post, I'm that confident they won't reveal this year
Define "reveal". Are you referring to a mere announcement, or a media blowout?

I'm almost certain you're referring to announcement so might want to clarify.

Considering Nintendos approach to a GaaS Animal Crossing was to cut out basic day 1 content and string along fans in hopes that super basic elements that were series constants would be added one day, only to ultimately end up with a game that is still feature-incomplete in comparison to the past games, I'm gonna have to say no thank you.

I'd be fine with the occasional new furniture set or new holiday items for a couple of years, so long as it's not straining on the devs or anything, but I very much just want the next AC game to be feature complete.

Also a huge part of a social sim like AC is having goals to work towards. A update is not a goal it's just a download and then boom there's the new content.
New Horizons was (and is feature complete). More things to do can't fix the issue with the game, that being that it is a naked skinner box designed to convince players that they are having fun while they are doing work even though the whole point of the series was to just chill out, man.

Anybody else thinking that Animal Crossing 6 will release close to Switch 2 launch? New Horizons will be over 4 years old by then, it's a massive IP, and it's co-op focused compared to 3D Mario/Prime 4 which are (probably) single player focused.

If the Switch 2 launches in September, the launch window could be:

September (Day One): 3D Mario, EPD4 game

October: Metroid Prime 4

November: Animal Crossing: New World

Then 2025 could start with some smaller titles and remakes before ramping up again later on the year, similar to 2018.

Edit: How did I miss that we were already talking about Animal Crossing lol

Here's my take, if Switch hardware and software had cratered, then maybe Nintendo would have felt pressure to show off the new system earlier than they wanted to do. But because Switch hardware and software are still doing quite well, especially for a system over 6 years old, then there is no pressure for Nintendo to announce the new system prematurely. If it's intended to launch on the later half of next year, then there's no point in announcing it now.

Anybody else thinking that Animal Crossing 6 will release close to Switch 2 launch? New Horizons will be over 4 years old by then, it's a massive IP, and it's co-op focused compared to 3D Mario/Prime 4 which are (probably) single player focused.

If the Switch 2 launches in September, the launch window could be:

September (Day One): 3D Mario, EPD4 game

October: Metroid Prime 4

November: Animal Crossing: New World

Then 2025 could start with some smaller titles and remakes before ramping up again later on the year, similar to 2018.

Edit: How did I miss that we were already talking about Animal Crossing lol
If they want to launch it as content-lacking as New Horizons, then sure.

Here's my take, if Switch hardware and software had cratered, then maybe Nintendo would have felt pressure to show off the new system earlier than they wanted to do. But because Switch hardware and software are still doing quite well, especially for a system over 6 years old, then there is no pressure for Nintendo to announce the new system prematurely. If it's intended to launch on the later half of next year, then there's no point in announcing it now.
Switch hardware/software sales going up hard, or cratering hard isn't going to materialistically affect Nintendo's release timeline, which I am almost certain is pretty solid at this point.

The only thing I could see that might alter the release timeline is if something catastrophic happens with production, and/or the major launch titles are not ready/delayed, but I am skeptical anything that will be a major launch title has not already been finished at this point.

Announcement
That's what I thought too. I just made your bet harder with that clarification :) We'll see what happens!

“Prematurely” “Over 6 years old”

Zzzzzzz

“Prematurely” “Over 6 years old”

Zzzzzzz
try to read a little more closely

But because Switch hardware and software are still doing quite well, especially for a system over 6 years old, then there is no pressure for Nintendo to announce the new system prematurely. If it's intended to launch on the later half of next year, then there's no point in announcing it now.

Their point is not about how long the switch has been out. It is about sales momentum.

And that’s a fortunate situation but the current sales momentum has nothing to do with the reveal plans by Nintendo since they already forecasted current events a while ago

Back
Top Bottom