• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo officially announces live-action Zelda film, produced by Shigeru Miyamoto and Avi Arad, directed by Wes Ball

The point being, they chose a sweet deal over quality. Anyway, I don’t entirely agree with that particular point from Grace. But it is very likely that Arad cornered Nintendo into a deal they couldn’t refuse. Especially after the intial Mario deal didn’t materialize. So, like Miss Grace said, Nintendo fell back into the Hollywood trap like the first Mario movie.
what leverage does Arad have over Nintendo? (hint: none)

and we can't assume quality yet, no matter how much we hate the people doing the movie or the medium. it's not what matters to Nintendo anyway. they didn't fall into any trap, they got exactly what they wanted

The point being, they chose a sweet deal over quality. Anyway, I don’t entirely agree with that particular point from Grace. But it is very likely that Arad cornered Nintendo into a deal they couldn’t refuse. Especially after the intial Mario deal didn’t materialize. So, like Miss Grace said, Nintendo fell back into the Hollywood trap like the first Mario movie.
And, Arad was able to pull one on Nintendo with what exactly? What deal could they not refuse where they got everything they wanted? Why would Nintendo care about the initial deal not materializing for this deal?
Like none of this makes any sense from any perspective from the information we have on hand.

I watched The Maze Runner last night just to see what Wes Ball can do as a director.

The movie was merely okay but I can see the director doing well with a Zelda movie. The Maze Runner is focused around a maze with monsters and puzzles, and it was shot competently with good scale and suspense. That seems to be like a good formula for Zelda right there.

what leverage does Arad have over Nintendo? (hint: none)

and we can't assume quality yet, no matter how much we hate the people doing the movie or the medium. it's not what matters to Nintendo anyway. they didn't fall into any trap, they got exactly what they wanted
And, Arad was able to pull one on Nintendo with what exactly? What deal could they not refuse where they got everything they wanted? Why would Nintendo care about the initial deal not materializing for this deal?
Like none of this makes any sense from any perspective from the information we have on hand.
Actually, none of you all saying are making any sense. There are many studios they could’ve chosen. There’s no reason for Nintendo to fall back to the guy that were making deals with them initially.

Why did the Last Of Us got the critically acclaimed Chernobyl people working on it and not Zack Synder or Michael Bay?

Also, you all just proved Grace is right about Nintendo fans defending Nintendo and their “seal of quality” as if Nintendo hadn’t made dumb decisions in the past. This is just another one of it you all. They just made a really bad decision.

I mean we don’t know for sure, yet. I’ll wait for the Box Office, but this isn’t a sure fire illumination thing.

Actually, none of you all saying are making any sense. There are many studios they could’ve chosen. There’s no reason for Nintendo to fall back to the guy that were making deals with them initially.
they made no deals with him. all his pitches did was keep him on call. if you're idea of "deal you can't refuse" is "I'll do whatever you want with nothing in return but my studio producing", then you have a weird idea of indebtedness

Why did the Last Of Us got the critically acclaimed Chernobyl people working on it and not Zack Synder or Michael Bay?
they were probably much cheaper

Also, you all just proved Grace is right about Nintendo fans defending Nintendo and their “seal of quality” as if Nintendo hadn’t made dumb decisions in the past. This is just another one of it you all. They just made a really bad decision.

I mean we don’t know for sure, yet. I’ll wait for the Box Office, but this isn’t a sure fire illumination thing.
you making assumptions too so you have no right to the high horse. you forget movies are a money making business, which Nintendo has done well once and are aiming to do again with their list of hires

We are probably making more sense than whatever this is along with said video with a really spicy uninformative take. I’m not seeing anything substantial that would dissuade us from what we currently know about the deal; only contradictions to the logic you’re presenting. If you’re claiming things like “sweet deals over quality” & “made a really bad decision” while immediately claiming “we don’t know for sure yet” then that kinda says it all here.

they made no deals with him. all his pitches did was keep him on call. if you're idea of "deal you can't refuse" is "I'll do whatever you want with nothing in return but my studio producing", then you have a weird idea of indebtedness

they were probably much cheaper

you making assumptions too so you have no right to the high horse. you forget movies are a money making business, which Nintendo has done well once and are aiming to do again with their list of hires
Their hires are a bunch of flops and that’s the problem. Arad is like the Gamefreak of movies. Outside of Spider-Man (which is name only) are mostly flops. I’m making assumptions based on the fact that is presented. Wes Ball has never directed a pic above 400 million. Derek Connolly is the only person that has creative input in billion dollar movies. That’s 2 out of 3 failed hires just based on commercial appeal alone. I don’t know what you‘ve been seeing to see they are hiring to make money. These hire screams Detective Pikachu which also had a mid director attached. When I say mid I meant commercially as well. Trying to make that clear. Lo and behold that movie did middling.
We are probably making more sense than whatever this is along with said video with a really spicy uninformative take. I’m not seeing anything substantial that would dissuade us from what we currently know about the deal; only contradictions to the logic you’re presenting. If you’re claiming things like “sweet deals over quality” & “made a really bad decision” while immediately claiming “we don’t know for sure yet” then that kinda says it all here.
I’ll just bookmark this until we see the box office.

Anyway, ya’ll Wii U stans as well? Just wondering.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t use a director’s best worldwide gross to make a point on anything. That’s not how things work.

Or ask people if they’re “Wii U stans”. That’s just irrelevant lol

this feels like an extremely uninformed take
It very likely is. Grace Randolph is known for making up "Hollywood insider" stories out of thin air. Wouldn't be surprised if her take on this is more of the same.

Absolutely! Was genuinely one of my favorite consoles and had some of my favorite games, even though it didn't do well in terms of sales. It's a great example of how quality and enjoyment can't be judged by how much money a thing makes.

heir hires are a bunch of flops and that’s the problem. Arad is like the Gamefreak of movies. Outside of Spider-Man (which is name only) are mostly flops.
looking at his history, he has more successes than flops

Wes Ball has never directed a pic above 400 million
so? he also never directed a movie that grossed only as much as his budget

you calling them failed hires hasn't panned out despite your claim

Their hires are a bunch of flops and that’s the problem. Arad is like the Gamefreak of movies. Outside of Spider-Man (which is name only) are mostly flops. I’m making assumptions based on the fact that is presented. Wes Ball has never directed a pic above 400 million. Derek Connolly is the only person that has creative input in billion dollar movies. That’s 2 out 3 failed hires just based on commercial appeal alone. I don’t know what you‘ve been seeing to see they are hiring to make money. These hire screams Detective Pikachu which also had a mid director attached. When I say mid I meant commercially as well. Trying to make that clear. Low and behold the movie did middling.

I’ll just bookmark this until we see the box office.

I know you ain’t serious after throwing around terms like “Nintendo fans” & “WiiU stans.” I’ll just stop here since there is little point in continuing this conversation.

#1 - Cast. I just don’t think you can cast anyone recognizable. The obvious choices for Link would pull me out of it immediately.
We keep telling ourselves they shouldn't cast recognizable actors, but if the Mario Movie is anything to go by, they'll cast Hollywood stars. Other than that, Nintendo is gonna use the movies for marketing and increase the likeliness of their Evergreen titles. That's all they care about

#2 - Budget. I worry none of this will be practical, and if producers decide on known actors, they’ll eat up too much of the budget. You don’t need actors to sell this movie; it’s one of the most recognizable brands on the planet. Just needs to look good.
With recent discussions of films having budgets that are too big ($200-250 million), I think Nintendo will have oversight over it, seeing as how they're contributing 50%, plus the Yen is very weak right now.

#3 - Length. I feel like the Sony side wouldn’t mind going over 2 hours, but Mario being 90 minutes may have Miyamoto and co. thinking to keep it brief. PLEEEEEASE give this movie room to breathe. Build tension but also give the movie room to include Zelda’s more whimsical elements.
I'm honestly expecting this to be a 2:20 long movie

We keep telling ourselves they shouldn't cast recognizable actors, but if the Mario Movie is anything to go by, they'll cast Hollywood stars. Other than that, Nintendo is gonna use the movies for marketing and increase the likeliness of their Evergreen titles. That's all they care about

With recent discussions of films having budgets that are too big ($200-250 million), I think Nintendo will have oversight over it, seeing as how they're contributing 50%, plus the Yen is very weak right now.

I'm honestly expecting this to be a 2:20 long movie
2:20 would be ideal.

and i think regarding budget my biggest concern is that it will look cheap or rely heavily on poorly shot bluescreen stuff. this is where I hope Nintendo interjects and says to go more practical. having big-name actors takes up a lot of room in that budget; perhaps too much.

like i said before keeping my expectations to 0 until I see the new Planet of the Apes movie
I said this in the Film Chat thread last night but I just saw the trailer in a theater and was really really impressed. I know the director doesn't control VFX quality or whatever but the vistas and the vibes were fantastic and that's half of what I want out of a fantasy movie. I seriously leaned over to my dad after the trailer was over and said "THAT's the guy who's doing Zelda." I'm not worried.

2:20 would be ideal.

and i think regarding budget my biggest concern is that it will look cheap or rely heavily on poorly shot bluescreen stuff. this is where I hope Nintendo interjects and says to go more practical. having big-name actors takes up a lot of room in that budget; perhaps too much.
a movie without greenscreen and cgi is pretty much an impossibility for anything with budget

a movie without greenscreen and cgi is pretty much an impossibility for anything with budget
I'd hope if they have to lean on CGI environments that they'd at least utilize The Volume room that Lucasfilm has been using since The Mandalorian. I've been pretty impressed with how well those shots come out, and it apparently makes comping and other post-production stuff a lot simpler, which should make effects cheaper.

I'd hope if they have to lean on CGI environments that they'd at least utilize The Volume room that Lucasfilm has been using since The Mandalorian. I've been pretty impressed with how well those shots come out, and it apparently makes comping and other post-production stuff a lot simpler, which should make effects cheaper.
my earlier post about Zelda in Unreal Engine wasn't for nothing. this is the exactly the kind of thing Sony invested in Epic Games for.

and a bonus DNEG vfx reel for Uncharted, which Arad Productions also had a hand in

The movie opens with two young Japanese boys, Shigeru and Satoshi, playing together. Shigeru loves exploring the woods by their homes while Satoshi enjoys collecting insects. The two stumble upon a mysterious cave. Satoshi warns that it is dark and could be dangerous. But Shigeru's curiosity gets the better of him. Shigeru enters the cave alone where he gets lost. He here's a faint whisper. "It's a secret to everyone". Shigeru presses forward where he stumbles across a strange light. He reaches to touch it and he's suddenly teleported.

He awakens in another cave. Shigeru notices that his clothes have changed to a green tunic. He feels that his ears are now pointed. A strange old man approaches him. "Link...", the Old Man says. "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this".

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

my earlier post about Zelda in Unreal Engine wasn't for nothing. this is the exactly the kind of thing Sony invested in Epic Games for.

and a bonus DNEG vfx reel for Uncharted, which Arad Productions also had a hand in

YUP

i agree and there 100% will be cgi, but i worry that it'll follow the marvel method and basically construct everything in post.
I think the problem with Marvel was they just didn't know what they wanted to do and designs kept changing until the very end. hopefully Nintendo won't have that problem

Zeltik arrives with, as usual, a pretty fair read.

Overall, I agree with the idea that even though Nintendo stated this is "live action", there's enough wiggle room that you could pass off mocap and "stylish-realistic CG" and still be great. The "Lion King remake" allowance, in other words. Also helps that through the Planet of the Apes flick, Wes Ball would stand to have the additional experience he'd need to direct a mocap-heavy production.

And honestly, I probably would prefer mocap as a solution. Among other reasons, because no amount of real world makeup and genetics can quite produce the heartthrob that Link is, and there's less risk about the actor aging up and out of the role if it's just a voice attached to a model. Likewise, Ganondorf's usual height is between 7-8ft tall. At that point, you might as well be thinking of giving him a good VA (Keith David or Kevin Michael Richardson, for me) and just letting a CG model do the rest of the heavy lifting. Ditto the rest of the usual Hyrulian races.

With Ganon, mocap and plastering thr actors face on a cg body would do fine. See the Uncharted video I posted earlier for example

Zeltik arrives with, as usual, a pretty fair read.

Overall, I agree with the idea that even though Nintendo stated this is "live action", there's enough wiggle room that you could pass off mocap and "stylish-realistic CG" and still be great. The "Lion King remake" allowance, in other words. Also helps that through the Planet of the Apes flick, Wes Ball would stand to have the additional experience he'd need to direct a mocap-heavy production.

And honestly, I probably would prefer mocap as a solution. Among other reasons, because no amount of real world makeup and genetics can quite produce the heartthrob that Link is, and there's less risk about the actor aging up and out of the role if it's just a voice attached to a model. Likewise, Ganondorf's usual height is between 7-8ft tall. At that point, you might as well be thinking of giving him a good VA (Keith David or Kevin Michael Richardson, for me) and just letting a CG model do the rest of the heavy lifting. Ditto the rest of the usual Hyrulian races.

Zeltik?

More like:

ZelDUH

Runs away.

We're the only two people that believe that, unfortunately.

I’m also one of the few who enjoyed the original super Mario bros movie.

tumblr_lps737cI9i1qfqcmfo1_500.gif

In all seriousness I think the movie will be an undeniable success and will succeed; even as a live action.

This is why while everyone is caught up with the Director, Cast, and Producers (naturally), I'm over here worried about the Art Director / Creature Design / SFX studio / and Costuming

Art Direction will be what makes or break the look of the world, Creature Design will be able to translate Zelda enemies in to something lifelike and real, WARDROBE / Costumes will make the difference between:

This
c-mUu5CyZjFaMiRra-er5vhwUSMKj6Cv4scqANCXDGE.jpg
or this
zelda_dark_link_cosplay.png

Ignore the eyebrows in the second, but a great example that textures need to be there and it needs to feel LIVED in
seeing this makes me hope beyond all hopes the stupid hat is gone.

i think going for a more realistic look makes the most sense

Last edited:
I've given this some thought and if they want to win me over they need to announce Hunter Shafer Zelda and Sophia Lillis Link right now.
Totally in support of Hunter Shafer as Zelda but over the past few weeks I've become obsessed with the idea of Mae Martin as Link. I can't think of anyone else who has the elfish look coupled with the feral chaos goblin energy.

qk6OBkx.jpg

Seriously.

Totally in support of Hunter Shafer as Zelda but over the past few weeks I've become obsessed with the idea of Mae Martin as Link. I can't think of anyone else who has the elfish look coupled with the feral chaos goblin energy.

qk6OBkx.jpg

Seriously.
I haven't seen them in anything so far (Feel Good looks fun) but I'll take your word for it!

qk6OBkx.jpg

Seriously.
From Taskmaster champion to the champion of Zelda's heart.

Ball describes his vision as "this awesome fantasy-adventure movie that isn’t like Lord of the Rings, it’s its own thing. I've always said, I would love to see a live-action Miyazaki. That wonder and whimsy that he brings to things, I would love to see something like that."

I also enjoyed it!

...And we're also the only two people that did...
hey, 90s SMB was a fantastic movie and all the haters are philistines and cowards

every adaptation should strive for that level of chaos and commentary

but we live in damn near 2024, age of horrible IP multiverse everything, and we’ll get the most boring kind of franchise-ready nothing

hey, 90s SMB was a fantastic movie and all the haters are philistines and cowards

but we live in damn near 2024, age of horrible IP multiverse everything, and we’ll get the most boring kind of franchise-ready nothing
You know what I keep saying about how Metroid and Sonic both benefit from having two legs to the series to appease both new and old fandoms?

😎

Yep

You know what I keep saying about how Metroid and Sonic both benefit from having two legs to the series to appease both new and old fandoms?

😎

Yep
are you trying to say what I think you’re trying to say??

leg?!

”Live action Miyazaki” sounds like a bad idea. No one can make Miyazaki movies except Miyazaki. People keep trying to emulate another creator’s style especially those with a very distinctive style yet so much of that creator is in the final product that anyone else trying to ape it instantly feels like it’s missing something.

The best creators go their own way. They take inspiration from other places and people, but the movie, book, game etc. always feels like theirs. This is pretty much Quentin Tarantino’s entire career. Maybe that’s what Wes Ball means. As soon as someone says they want to make something like someone else’s thing, I become extremely skeptical.

Maybe I’m being overly negative or merely yelling at clouds. The Zelda series has a wealth of amazing source material to draw from that “Let’s make live-action Miyazaki with the Zelda IP” is such a massive turn off.

Admittedly, I’m not someone who particularly likes live-action versions of non-live action originals. Live-action Nausicaä Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke is so far from anything I want to see. They’re great on their own; leave them be. And certainly don’t drag Zelda into this.

Last edited:
”Live action Miyazaki” sounds like a bad idea. No one can make Miyazaki movies except Miyazaki. People keep trying to emulate another creator’s style especially those with a very distinctive style yet so much of that creator is in the final product that anyone else trying to ape it instantly feels like it’s missing something.

The best creators go their own way. They take inspiration from other places and people, but the movie, book, game etc. always feels like theirs. This is pretty much Quentin Tarantino’s entire career. Maybe that’s what Wes Ball means. As soon as someone says they want to make something like someone else’s thing, I become extremely skeptical.

Maybe I’m being overly negative or merely yelling at clouds. The Zelda series has a wealth of amazing source material to draw from that “Let’s make live-action Miyazaki with the Zelda IP” is such a massive turn off.

Admittedly, I’m not someone who particularly likes live-action versions of non-live action originals. Live-action Nausicaä Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke is so far from anything I want to see. They’re great on their own; leave them be. And certainly don’t drag Zelda into this.
we’ll see if it can be executed at all but like

this is my thing with everything

people trying to make a movie like

make a game like

draw like

write like

it really ends up being much further removed from reality. it’s part of why everything feels so hollow. tv shows made by tv-show-watchers. echoes of echoes of echoes.

which isn’t to say don’t pick up inspiration — sure! or at least know what inspired the first people, go the fuck outside and find out your relationship to their inspirations, bare minimum

but you have to, have to, have to prioritize your relationship with the living, breathing world. you have to draw ink from the well of lived experience. you can get a dash of lots else — and please, always make sure it’s LOTS else — but the heart of it and the vision have to be gleaned by human means

I don’t hate the pitch honestly, “live action Miyazaki” sounds like an elevator pitch to quickly say “we’re aiming for artsy and whimsy over more traditional western fantasy”, but that is just how they are choosing to frame it as you have to say something, but it’s not necessarily the actual design template.

I also enjoyed SMB from the 1990s!

Wow. A kindred spirit...

On the one hand, good. They are avoiding falling into the LOTR trap, which is absolutely not the right approach for Zelda.

On the other hand, there is something inherently perverse in "live-action Miyazaki" which makes you question why we are doing this in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom