• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo officially announces live-action Zelda film, produced by Shigeru Miyamoto and Avi Arad, directed by Wes Ball

On the one hand, good. They are avoiding falling into the LOTR trap, which is absolutely not the right approach for Zelda.

On the other hand, there is something inherently perverse in "live-action Miyazaki" which makes you question why we are doing this in the first place.
probably because they're not looking at Miyazaki from a medium standpoint, but a filmic technique

it really ends up being much further removed from reality. it’s part of why everything feels so hollow. tv shows made by tv-show-watchers. echoes of echoes of echoes.
ironically this is something miyazaki has complained about

A live action Ghibli movie is a terrible pitch. Miyazaki's movies don't have particularly great scripts, they're enjoyable for their atmosphere and animation and their stories often hang on a thread. Not the sort of thing you get from blockbuster live action movies at all, you'd need to have like an auteur film maker do it and even then I would be skeptical.

I dunno, a movie that has an extremely thin story but is high on atmosphere sounds like the ideal for me.

I keep thinking that Zelda would make for a better episodic show like Game of Thrones than a movie.
Just too much content to try and cover In a 2-1/2 hr time period for those people who have no clue about the Zelda franchise.

Do the introduce ganondorf and have him defeated in one movie or do they plan out multiple movies from the start which could bite them if the first movie fail.

Do the introduce ganondorf and have him defeated in one movie or do they plan out multiple movies from the start which could bite them if the first movie fail.
Bringing Ganondorf back would be pretty easy, so I think they'll defeat him and leave the window open for him to return in a sequel.

You just banish him or whatever like the games usually do, and it's very easy to bring him back.

Gonna plug the Podcast a bit, but we discuss the Zelda movie a bit in the new episode in the second half:

Some small details from the Director:

I’ve been thinking about it for a long freakin’ time, of how cool a Zelda movie would be... I want to fulfil people’s greatest desires. I know it’s important, this [Zelda] franchise, to people and I want it to be a serious movie. A real movie that can give people an escape

Hopefully they don’t try to please everyone

It would be absolutely fascinating to know more about the process that led Nintendo to launch this project. I remember that Sony and Arad were in quite advanced negotiations with Nintendo to produce a Mario animated film before Universal got in global agreement with Nintendo.

I wonder if the idea of an adaptation of Zelda was revived thanks to the success of the Mario movie, or if it is simply the resumption of the Netflix project, assuming that it already involved the same producer and the same studio.

When they made the deal for Mario they were in very bad shape, there were doubts about the very future of Nintendo.

I think that even if they are very happy with their collaboration with whom illumination and Universal, the fact that from the first press release it is mentioned that Nintendo support more than 50% of the budget, and therefore will get the same proportion of the potential profits, can explain why they did not continue with the same studio for another franchise.

Last edited:
4165962-john-cena-barbie-2-071323-d8c1a05d50d84bffb563a2f357004c28.jpg

His body is ready

hard to know who Cena would play but he's a big name so I don't see him playing a side character. maybe a companion. goron?

Guess I’ll speculate.

Potential roles for John Cena:

Ganondorf- they’d likely want someone with Cena’s physique to play the role, and him being older would contrast well with a smaller and younger Link.

Goron- depends on the story being adapted if any specific one, but I could see him fitting the Goron voice and motion capture quite well. Recall that Wes Ball, the movie’s director, more than 10 years ago said that if he ever got to make a Zelda movie, he’d want it to have the Avatar treatment for the fantastical species, so I would expect that here.

King of Hyrule- Daphnes and Rhoam were both quite the physical specimens, so why not? Perhaps that I would imagine they’ll keep the royal family speaking with British accents, which I’m not sure Cena would be a fit for.

Guess I’ll speculate.

Potential roles for John Cena:

Ganondorf- they’d likely want someone with Cena’s physique to play the role, and him being older would contrast well with a smaller and younger Link.

Goron- depends on the story being adapted if any specific one, but I could see him fitting the Goron voice and motion capture quite well. Recall that Wes Ball, the movie’s director, more than 10 years ago said that if he ever got to make a Zelda movie, he’d want it to have the Avatar treatment for the fantastical species, so I would expect that here.

King of Hyrule- Daphnes and Rhoam were both quite the physical specimens, so why not? Perhaps that I would imagine they’ll keep the royal family speaking with British accents, which I’m not sure Cena would be a fit for.
Rhoam and Daphnes are more of a strong-fat build. can't see Cena (heh) in that role.

Ganon should be a brown person so cross that one out

and given it's John Cena (DOO DO DO DOOO), he'd have to be a character who's involved all the way through the story. so maybe some kind of companion

He should, but I don't have faith that they will, especially with Matt Mercer voicing him in TotK (no offense to Matt Mercer).
I hope the English dubbing of recent games isn't necessarily an indication. The dubbing of Princess Zelda, for example, doesn't work at all, in my opinion.

Cena as a Gordon works imo

If Cena is Ganondorf I will have a similar reaction to Pratt as Mario. Maybe worse, actually.

Cena would be a good Groose.

But i still hate that this is a live action movie. They could cast the most wholesome, popular people for each role, people that i like, and i would still hate it. ._.

I don't think John Cena will play Ganondorf. Unless they change his backstory, I can't see him playing a chracter that comes from a tribe in the dessert.

Links design will 10000% be blue link.
And we will have 83 new Threads from people who could not move on about why it is a horrible choice. Same people who are making Videos about that all they need are Keys to Go through a door. Otherwise it is Not Zelda for them.

Cena as Link would only work for a Adventures of Lunk movie. I really hope he is just some Goron.

Given Link's status as a royal knight in BotW, maybe they could make Cena a commander that trains Link or something
I concur. There are a lot of roles that Cena can accomplish, but Ganondorf I don't see him. A knight that trains Link, maybe even his father. Maybe Link's dad is a respect knight in the kingdom and that's his connection with Zelda and the royal family.

But it begs the question of what source material will the movie follow. OOT, TP, BOTW, all of them?

And we will have 83 new Threads from people who could not move on about why it is a horrible choice. Same people who are making Videos about that all they need are Keys to Go through a door. Otherwise it is Not Zelda for them.
I guess it can kinda be annoying that Zelda changed from what it was for 30 years but also it’s been like 8 years since botw,

I imagine the next Zelda will go for a different design for link

Not green or blue but with a nod to both as optional costumes.

But it begs the question of what source material will the movie follow. OOT, TP, BOTW, all of them?
I honestly hope it doesn't adapt any specific game but rather does what the games themselves do: being a reinvention that is a standalone entry with its own story, elements, and characters, while also being a piece that slots into the overall lore if people wanna look hard enough.

I honestly hope it doesn't adapt any specific game but rather does what the games themselves do: being a reinvention that is a standalone entry with its own story, elements, and characters, while also being a piece that slots into the overall lore if people wanna look hard enough.
Yeah, it's the best bet. Which reminded me of the discussion of Zelda in the Future hardware thread: about Miyamoto wanting the series to be closer to LOTR, which honestly, is what I think the movie could go for, but with Zelda lore.

Yeah, it's the best bet. Which reminded me of the discussion of Zelda in the Future hardware thread: about Miyamoto wanting the series to be closer to LOTR, which honestly, is what I think the movie could go for, but with Zelda lore.
I'd love that

I know there's a lot of "Zelda should be like a Ghibli movie" sentiment but damn, I've always wanted a Zelda that's basically LotR vibes but with more whimsy

Yeah I want this too. Especially for the different types of folks, the looks should be defined after what works best for live action and not only some designs of one or several games.

And while I appreciated the Mario Movie having many visual references down to the Artstyle, a Zelda Movie should be more free and original in that regard.

I'd love that

I know there's a lot of "Zelda should be like a Ghibli movie" sentiment but damn, I've always wanted a Zelda that's basically LotR vibes but with more whimsy
I assume the movie will be 2:20, unlike Mario’s 1:30 movie. LOTR is four hours long, so I think the best bet is a balance of what LOTR and something more cohesive and active

I'd love that

Yeah. LotR but with a pinch of that Maromarkt Energy. Having characters like Tingle. Lon Lon Ranch in Ocarina of Time. Everything what the Tarrey Town quest in BOTW and the whole Mayor storyline of Hateno Village in TOTK is about. The whole world is at stake but we also have a bit of time - for that. This is what I think is special about Zelda and should be captured in the movie.

Yeah. LotR but with a pinch of that Maromarkt Energy. Having characters like Tingle. Lon Lon Ranch in Ocarina of Time. Everything what the Tarrey Town quest in BOTW and the whole Mayor storyline of Hateno Village in TOTK is about. The whole world is at stake but we also have a bit of time - for that. This is what I think is special about Zelda and should be captured in the movie.
I've got it

The vibe aughta be "LotR except if Elijah Wood had played himself"

JhKHJLl.jpeg

It will not happen, but personally I wouldn't mind if they would go for a more international cast instead for going with the most obvious choices. In the Live Action Remake of One Piece this works really well and feels less white washed/westernized because of it. It would actually help for the immersion in Zelda with it playing in a fantasy setting and all that.

It will not happen, but personally I wouldn't mind if they would go for a more international cast instead for going with the most obvious choices. In the Live Action Remake of One Piece this works really well and feels less white washed/westernized because of it. It would actually help for the immersion in Zelda with it playing in a fantasy setting and all that.
What are Wes Ball's casting practices?

If we're to go by Directors standards, they usually just resort to actors they like working with , i.e. Burton

Early impressions for Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes seem pretty positive. This will be worth keeping an eye on, given it’s the same director for the Zelda movie.

Back
Top Bottom