• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST22 July 2023 | PIKMINVASION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanilla is always good. But mint is underrated. The issue, is how many caramel/nut/coffee/nougat style flavors crush everything else. I stayed up past like 3 for the first time in a decade, not tired all, yet.

Abyss is also my favorite story wise (Graces has the best combat). Cast of characters are still pretty much walking tropes but there are enough twists and turns to keep you going for 70 hours. Only downside is the complexity of this fon crap. Fonic fon artes fon fing fang fon...

Obligatory:
img3.jpg
There's definitely a lot of 'noun soup' at the beginning of Abyss before you know what it all means, but it starts making sense before long.

Abyss is interesting on the character front, because while some of them are good it's overall one of the more unlikable Tales casts. And also one of the absolute worst for the old 'I have a secret that I'm not going to tell anybody because if I did everything would be figured out and the plot wouldn't happen' trope. I think pretty much everyone in the entire game is guilty of it.

Still in conflict on Theatrhythm final bar line DX. Which version I mean. Cause doing premium would take 75% of my current loose gaming budget. But it’s worth at least going deluxe. Need to iron out my thoughts and put together a personal release list for the rest of the year and puzzle things out
Isn’t there upgrade paths from standard all the way up? The base game has plenty of content as is the norm for the series, and you will probably be able to catch a better deal on the upgrades down the road.

Isn’t there upgrade paths from standard all the way up? The base game has plenty of content as is the norm for the series, and you will probably be able to catch a better deal on the upgrades down the road.
Square is slow on dlc sales. Tho I guess they’re probably not as bad as Namco who never do sales on TNT dlc. Have they done sales on similar game dlcs?

Last edited:
The reflectors are starting to fall apart in my tv and a big one just dropped. Big dark corner in the screen now with a bright spot right next to it. 😑

At least it hung on long enough for me to complete TotK!

Returning to Monster Hunter World after exclusively playing Rise for a few months really hammers home just how different the pacing in these two games is.
There's quite the divide within the community between many World and Rise fans respectively, and I can totally see why based on the aspect of pacing alone. And that's without talking about technical (duh) and mechanical differences.
No wonder many folks are in favour of one of the two over the other in direct comparison.

I am very interested in seeing what they're cooking with the next mainline entry and how it'll be received.

Capital G Gamers freaking out and screaming “woke” over the possibility of Assassins Creed Red starring Yasuke is just so perfect. Actual history, real people who really did things that we have proof of, is woke now. I love it.
It’s almost as if they’re too cowardly to say what they really wanna say. Fucking scum, all of them.

Capital G Gamers freaking out and screaming “woke” over the possibility of Assassins Creed Red starring Yasuke is just so perfect. Actual history, real people who really did things that we have proof of, is woke now. I love it.
Really destroys any notion that they were fighting for “historical accuracy” in games.

Capital G Gamers freaking out and screaming “woke” over the possibility of Assassins Creed Red starring Yasuke is just so perfect
Yooo wait Yasuke is going to be the protagonist of the next Assassin’s Creed? That’s awesome.

Also anyone screaming about “woke” and “cultural appropriation “ can reasonably be inferred to be clueless about what “culture” is

As always, I look forward to getting these Assassin's Creed games, enjoying them, but never finishing them.

Returning to Monster Hunter World after exclusively playing Rise for a few months really hammers home just how different the pacing in these two games is.
There's quite the divide within the community between many World and Rise fans respectively, and I can totally see why based on the aspect of pacing alone. And that's without talking about technical (duh) and mechanical differences.
No wonder many folks are in favour of one of the two over the other in direct comparison.

I am very interested in seeing what they're cooking with the next mainline entry and how it'll be received.
My friend and I started from scratch with World after not playing it for a few years, and I can't get over that this game is slow as molasses, good lord

The mandatory cutscenes that make playing through the story with another person a chore, having to wander around blindly to locate monsters in these huge maps, the hub area being too damn big for no reason. People complain about Rise not being "immersive" enough, but I'll take that over cutting down on needless tedium any day.

Hoping the next game implements a fair bit of the streamlining from Rise. Keep the cutscenes non-intrusive, keep the dogs for faster traversal, if tracking must stay then only make me do it for the first encounter with a monster, and don't forget how to design a decent hub area.

I bought an LG C1 a year and a half ago. Due to numerous condo delays, I only got to set it up two months ago.

Just today, I learned it doesn't have built in Chromecast 🙃 The only reason Netflix, YouTube et. al. can stream from my Pixel to my TV is because they use a different protocol. I can't cast my phone screen, nor my web browser on my desktop to my TV if I want to use an IPTV on demand service.

coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool

y'all I am SO close to finally being able to watch My Adventures With Superman and it's killing me

I bought an LG C1 a year and a half ago. Due to numerous condo delays, I only got to set it up two months ago.

Just today, I learned it doesn't have built in Chromecast 🙃 The only reason Netflix, YouTube et. al. can stream from my Pixel to my TV is because they use a different protocol. I can't cast my phone screen, nor my web browser on my desktop to my TV if I want to use an IPTV on demand service.

coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool

y'all I am SO close to finally being able to watch My Adventures With Superman and it's killing me
I may be missing something very obvious here, but...why not just use the built-in streaming apps? You can at least get stuff like the aforementioned Netflix and YouTube no question and at the native picture quality of the TV. I assume there's like...at least some exclusive features or streaming service that's on the Chromecast that makes having it more desirable than using just the TV?

I may be missing something very obvious here, but...why not just use the built-in streaming apps? You can at least get stuff like the aforementioned Netflix and YouTube no question and at the native picture quality of the TV. I assume there's like...at least some exclusive features or streaming service that's on the Chromecast that makes having it more desirable than using just the TV?
Because in Canada the only options to watch MAwS is either $14/mth extra for StackedTV on Amazon Prime (ntyvm) or the telecom On Demand app, which unfortunately isn't available in the LG C1 app store so my only option is to cast from my phone.

It's so dumb because while all the HBO content is through Crave (a really crappy on demand streaming service exclusive to Canada), not all WB content is available through Crave. Hell I can't even watch Superman & Lois through Crave (I can only buy the seasons individually through AppleTV despite having a sub, can't seem to stream it anywhere), but I can watch Krypton and Superman II (theatrical, not the Richard Donner cut).

God I really hope this strike makes these Hollywood execs bleed.

Because in Canada the only options to watch MAwS is either $14/mth extra for StackedTV on Amazon Prime (ntyvm) or the telecom On Demand app, which unfortunately isn't available in the LG C1 app store so my only option is to cast from my phone.

It's so dumb because while all the HBO content is through Crave (a really crappy on demand streaming service exclusive to Canada), not all WB content is available through Crave. Hell I can't even watch Superman & Lois through Crave (I can only buy the seasons individually through AppleTV despite having a sub, can't seem to stream it anywhere), but I can watch Krypton and Superman II (theatrical, not the Richard Donner cut).

God I really hope this strike makes these Hollywood execs bleed.
Ah, yep, that'd do it. Fucking sucks, sorry to hear that. Regional licensing is a mess.

Not to mention he has been in tons of games before (like Nioh and Nioh 2) and had that recent anime about him, too. In fact, Nioh is a great example here, since it stars a white, blonde English guy in a Japanese samurai game, and I remember at the time that there were some grumblings about 'why are we playing a white dude in a game about Japanese history' and lots of those Capital G Gamers jumped out to say "actually he was a real person and it's based on history". Which is true, and I liked how it was implemented! But you can't suddenly then go and say that playing as Yasuke (a black man) in a Japanese samurai game is 'woke' and not historical. You can't have it both ways.

My friend and I started from scratch with World after not playing it for a few years, and I can't get over that this game is slow as molasses, good lord

The mandatory cutscenes that make playing through the story with another person a chore, having to wander around blindly to locate monsters in these huge maps, the hub area being too damn big for no reason. People complain about Rise not being "immersive" enough, but I'll take that over cutting down on needless tedium any day.

Hoping the next game implements a fair bit of the streamlining from Rise. Keep the cutscenes non-intrusive, keep the dogs for faster traversal, if tracking must stay then only make me do it for the first encounter with a monster, and don't forget how to design a decent hub area.
The pacing issues are amplified even more compared to the prior titles because of the greater ambition and the consequential scale of it all.

I'm definitely one of those people complaining about just how much of my time was wasted in World. Iceborne did tackle some of these issues (to varying degrees), but at its core the game simply takes too much time for almost everything imo.

At the end of the day it seemingly was a mostly deliberate decision, I remember reading an interview with the director / producer (?) and him saying that they wanted people to take their time with the game and dedicate hours to any gaming session with World. Which is fair / fine and makes sense with it returning to stationary platforms, but couldn't be further from what I want out of these games myself. Rise's pacing isn't perfect, but definitely more in line with my preferences.
You can totally see, though, that they took the target platforms into consideration for the basic design of the respective games.

Cosmic star heroine has been taking up my evening slot(it’s great). But I want to start AI Somnium files soon.

Sigh still trying to decide between base and deluxe on Theatrhythm final bar line. Tho my list of games for this year wasn’t as bad as I thought

It gives dumbass white manchildren a way to be racist without sounding too racist.

"B-b-but it should star an Asian Male lead! Not a white guy! Has nothing to do with skin color! See! No racist!"

There's definitely a lot of 'noun soup' at the beginning of Abyss before you know what it all means, but it starts making sense before long.

Abyss is interesting on the character front, because while some of them are good it's overall one of the more unlikable Tales casts. And also one of the absolute worst for the old 'I have a secret that I'm not going to tell anybody because if I did everything would be figured out and the plot wouldn't happen' trope. I think pretty much everyone in the entire game is guilty of it.
Agreed. While Luke gets increasingly better in the second half of the game, overall I outright dislike the cast of the game. The kid is super annoying, Jade is so snarky he's barely a character, the princess is snoozeville, Luke's best friend is pretty vapid and Tear... well, she's not the worst, but she, well, not very interesting.

The Tales games always have tropey characters, sometimes very extreme; I mean, look at Dawn of the New World. Everytime Emil says sorry, I wanted to punch somebody. Then Johnny Young Bosh puts on his Ichigo voice and the edge is so hilarious that its fun. Don't get me started on Marta. Girl stop the thirst. I mean damn. Tanebrae is cool though. Tales of Zesteria's cast is pretty bland too. Xillia isn't too bad, but everything with Alfred was absolutely terribad. Hey guys im good. Oh no I'm bad. I'm good again. Oh right. Secretely bad again sorry bout that. No I'm totally on your side. You trust me right Jude, buddy of mine?

Jude: "Okay I believe you"

But the Tales games have some positives as well; I love the Berseria cast. A bunch of misfits and they're all amazing in their own way. Bunch of anti-heroes. Symphonia is awesome too. Vesperia is cool too.

Square is slow on dlc sales. Tho I guess they’re probably not as bad as Namco who never do sales on TNT dlc. Have they done sales on similar game dlcs?
I just checked DekuDeals for the history on one of the Voice of Cards games and it doesn't look like it 🫤

I finally beat Final Fantasy 16 and right on time. GOTY comes out this week baby!

Overall, I'm not crazy about 16. I expected better, but idk, maybe it's because modern triple A games aren't for me. The music was the best part. The story was okay. I enjoyed the ending and wasn't mad about how some things weren't answered, and frankly, don't care if they are in the future with DLC. The gameplay felt boring after 40 hours. And don't get me started on these side quests. SOMEONE HAS TO DESIGN BETTER SIDE QUESTS.

Anyway, I'll be taking a gaming break until Friday/Saturday for Pikmin 4. FF16 burnt me out a bit. Was going to start a new island on ACNH but nah, I'll take it easy on the gaming side this week.

Here's the main build of Ultraman Type A done! I'll do fancier pics when I'm feeling better and finish the extras and stands but overall a pretty cool and fun build overall. The silver parts are plated/painted on sprues. Most of its undergated but I slipped on a spot or two. (It does both colors for the Chest lamp, but didn't want to pop it open again till I do the Big O pics with it XD. It has a 3 minute timer mode on the light)
IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

Like I said I’ll take some additional pics when I’m up for finishing the extras in a couple days like with the blue lamp light and get some batteries in the big o. Tho I also need to to build him a buddy that’s in scale. Maybe I’ll do Piccolo next

Also I think I’ve decided to grab Theatrhythm deluxe version.

Coming home after one week of vacation during which I’ve eaten ice cream everyday, and imma tell you this :

mmm ice cream so good. mmm ice cream so good.

Here's the main build of Ultraman Type A done! I'll do fancier pics when I'm feeling better and finish the extras and stands but overall a pretty cool and fun build overall. The silver parts are plated/painted on sprues. Most of its undergated but I slipped on a spot or two. (It does both colors for the Chest lamp, but didn't want to pop it open again till I do the Big O pics with it XD. It has a 3 minute timer mode on the light)
IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

Like I said I’ll take some additional pics when I’m up for finishing the extras in a couple days like with the blue lamp light and get some batteries in the big o. Tho I also need to to build him a buddy that’s in scale. Maybe I’ll do Piccolo next

Also I think I’ve decided to grab Theatrhythm deluxe version.
That's really, really cool :O Especially the light!
Was it a custom build or some premade kit?

That's really, really cool :O Especially the light!
Was it a custom build or some premade kit?
It’s a Bandai Figure rise(light version. They have a more posable non light version coming this year). No modding needed, just had to order the batteries cause they’re an uncommon type. Was a pretty fun build too. Have 3 other kits from the figure-rise line in my backlog(Piccolo, Suletta, and Miorene) no lights in those tho XD. They’ve done some cool other stuff in the line and coming up too like Exodia and Blue eyes white dragon

Agreed. While Luke gets increasingly better in the second half of the game, overall I outright dislike the cast of the game. The kid is super annoying, Jade is so snarky he's barely a character, the princess is snoozeville, Luke's best friend is pretty vapid and Tear... well, she's not the worst, but she, well, not very interesting.

The Tales games always have tropey characters, sometimes very extreme; I mean, look at Dawn of the New World. Everytime Emil says sorry, I wanted to punch somebody. Then Johnny Young Bosh puts on his Ichigo voice and the edge is so hilarious that its fun. Don't get me started on Marta. Girl stop the thirst. I mean damn. Tanebrae is cool though. Tales of Zesteria's cast is pretty bland too. Xillia isn't too bad, but everything with Alfred was absolutely terribad. Hey guys im good. Oh no I'm bad. I'm good again. Oh right. Secretely bad again sorry bout that. No I'm totally on your side. You trust me right Jude, buddy of mine?

Jude: "Okay I believe you"

But the Tales games have some positives as well; I love the Berseria cast. A bunch of misfits and they're all amazing in their own way. Bunch of anti-heroes. Symphonia is awesome too. Vesperia is cool too.
Tales of Xillia is an exponentially better game if you give Alvin the devil horns and sunglasses accessories and just pretend like everyone, including God herself, is oblivious to how obviously evil he is. Or isn't.

It's finally Pikmin 4 week. We've been waiting for this for a long time, right? I know a lot of people aren't crazy about Pikmin, but please give it a chance. It's one of the most fantastic and unique series ever created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom