• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
looney-tunes-quarantine.gif

Sick, good for Xenoblade fans and good for me because that means less time spent on Xenoblade during the regular Direct.

My girlfriend, who is a weeb, has set out on a mission to convert me to the glorious ways of weebdom. My indoctrination thus far has included viewings of Fate Zero, Evangelion, Blame, and The Wind Rises, in addition to the ritual consumption of Pocky, Strong Zero, and Takoyaki.

To be fair, as a diehard fan of both Nintendo and the Godzilla series, I feel like I was already halfway there. Like 90% of my favourite games are Japanese also.

I have accepted my fate.
Don’t forget the ramune soda, hi-chews, and Meiji chocolate!

Totally agree about being halfway there and accepting your fate eventually. I grew up on Nintendo and Transformers cartoons, and other things that in hindsight were hella Japanese. Gotta wonder if we were just indoctrinated at an early age by the media consumption or if there was something that drew us to those things.

Yay xeno direct. But boo at the time. If it was 2 hours later I would be able to watch it live and not have to avoid every and any gaming related website to avoid spoilers. I'll have to mail Bowser about the direct on the 29th so we avoid similar related issues.

There is hope yet. Maybe a regular direct and an indie? Or another game-focused direct, preferably Pokémon SV. (I know it’s too early, but I can dream)

I sincerely hope that this is a meaty general direct we get next week.

Something feels wrong that for three major tentpole releases this year, I'm not keen on Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, or Fire Emblem. Splatoon I'll have fun for three months before the community outclasses me in every skillset. I haven't finished Xenoblade on Wii or Switch, and XB2 still sits in the collector's edition box when I bought it. Fire Emblem...maybe this one will finally be the one I give a go to get into the series, but I'm still wary.

Thank God for Bayonetta at least

My girlfriend, who is a weeb, has set out on a mission to convert me to the glorious ways of weebdom. My indoctrination thus far has included viewings of Fate Zero, Evangelion, Blame, and The Wind Rises, in addition to the ritual consumption of Pocky, Strong Zero, and Takoyaki.

To be fair, as a diehard fan of both Nintendo and the Godzilla series, I feel like I was already halfway there. Like 90% of my favourite games are Japanese also.

I have accepted my fate.
Tell her you want to watch Anno’s better 90’s Show Nadia and the Secret of the Blue water. Or the show Evangelion is inspired by Space Runaway Ideon. Or a real super robot show like New Getter Robo where the pilots are psychotic anti heroes to start with. Or the remake of the original mecha show Shin Mazinger Z the impact(great reimagining by the way).

There is hope yet. Maybe a regular direct and an indie? Or another game-focused direct, preferably Pokémon SV. (I know it’s too early, but I can dream)

Don't trust that source, but we did have Jeff Grubb say a few weeks ago he'd heard of multiple events. Pokemon had the trailer drop a few weeks ago, but I guess they could easily do another event in July if they wanted. The next Indie World would usually be August.

Plus, there's Splatoon 3. Nintendo doing Xenoblade's Direct 5 weeks out from launch might also mean Splatoon 3 gets a dedicated broadcast in July.

Company Zoom call to show off how to navigate our new website....

Welp, guess I'll get a few battle of Fire Emblem Heroes in.

As the official Xenoblade Hater of this thread (and board) I feel like Nintendo really has nothing to show me personally and thus has no games to show at all.

Nintendo made this Direct specifically for me and me only. You all are not allowed to watch it, it’s my Direct.

Started Tokyo Mirage Sessions last night. I completed the Prologue Chapter and am already really digging it so far!

I read the news today, oh boy

I’m hype but I knew in an instant some would be upset. I can’t imagine the reactions if we didn’t know about the 29th

Four years ago I was playing Earthbound but dropped it after about 10 hours. Suddenly I feel the urge to finish it this holiday. Can I just pick it up again or is it better to restart the game from the beginning?
I recommend starting fresh. It isn’t really too complicated or intricate, but I could see coming back to a full inventory and a long list of PSI skills being intimidating.

Congrats weebs! Xeno Direct, FEW: 3H and Fire Emblem leaked screenshots this month, while the rest of us are in agony.

I don't mean it in a spiteful way, of course. Genuinely happy for people whose main interest are games made with a distinctly Japanese aesthetic.

Congrats weebs! Xeno Direct, FEW: 3H and Fire Emblem leaked screenshots this month, while the rest of us are in agony.

I don't mean it in a spiteful way, of course. Genuinely happy for people whose main interest are games made with a distinctly Japanese aesthetic.
...??
I genuinely thought you were one of us based on your profile pic 🤔

Four years ago I was playing Earthbound but dropped it after about 10 hours. Suddenly I feel the urge to finish it this holiday. Can I just pick it up again or is it better to restart the game from the beginning?
I’d say just pick it up from where you left off, and if you need a refresher just watch a let’s play up til the part where you stopped.

Or you could also just play Mother 3, which IMO captures your attention sooner than Earthbound (tho be warned it will spoil some story bits from Earthbound).

...??
I genuinely thought you were one of us based on your profile pic 🤔

While I enjoy a ton of Japanese media that people would say fall under the "weeb" notion, I do find myself at a point where I find it difficult to associate myself with what it means to be a weeb. I guess I fall short on the partial definition of a weeb that says that a weeb is someone heavily invested in Japanese culture at large. I mostly enjoy JRPG's and games like 13 Sentinels, but I don't like much anime and I hardly ever read manga, I also don't own much merchandise. I know there's much more to being a weeb than just that, but regardless of these kinds of surface reflections, I can at the end of the day say with confidence that no, I'm probably not a weeb.

These are observations that has come from multiple hours of serious self-reflection, and I have a nagging unease that maybe I have misunderstood the nature of being a weeb - my apologies if this is the case with my above reflection.

(I also don't like Kingdom Hearts..)

As much as I am looking forward to Xenoblade 3 (very!) I actually don't really need a dedicated Direct for it at all. Not sure if I'm even going to watch it tbh.

I love eating good with the Xeno Direct, but in the last week I've become wary of Nintendo fans with big Scrimblo Bimblo energy.
Okay so I just had to google what "Scrimblo Bimblo" is and uh..

Apparently the meme is this:
"Smash Fans when Sakurai reveals Popular McJRPGGuy and not Scrimblo Bimblo, the Lovable Scrunko from the great platformer they played as kids 26 years ago"
But like

When I was disappointed over Smash reveals it was usually because Sakurai revealed Popular McJRPGGuy and not Unpopular McJRPGGirl. 🤣

While I enjoy a ton of Japanese media that people would say fall under the "weeb" notion, I do find myself at a point where I find it difficult to associate myself with what it means to be a weeb. I guess I fall short on the partial definition of a weeb that says that a weeb is someone heavily invested in Japanese culture at large. I mostly enjoy JRPG's and games like 13 Sentinels, but I don't like much anime and I hardly ever read manga, I also don't own much merchandise. I know there's much more to being a weeb than just that, but regardless of these kinds of surface reflections, I can at the end of the day say with confidence that no, I'm probably not a weeb.

These are observations that has come from multiple hours of serious self-reflection, and I have a nagging unease that maybe I have misunderstood the nature of being a weeb - my apologies if this is the case with my above reflection.

(I also don't like Kingdom Hearts..)
I appreciate the thorough response! And I get what you mean. JRPGs have a certain vibe to them that I could see someone enjoying without going full uwu, so I see where you're coming from. Even I have to admit I don't keep up on a lot of current Japanese pop culture stuff, but having been bullied while growing up for being deep into 90s anime, jpop, games, and general Japanese culture (I even strongly prefer Japanese cars 😅), I sorta latched onto the "weeb" label as a way to flip a sassy bird to the assholes who thought I should be ashamed of that. Like "why yes, I am a weeb thank you for the compliment." Nowadays there's so much Jstuff available that I can't keep up so I mostly play the part of an old hipster weeb who only appreciates the "old good stuff" and doesn't like all the "new mainstream" stuff. 😅 But it's all in good fun.

TL;DR: I get ya
(I also don't like Kingdom Hearts, except for that one Utada Hikaru song)

Last edited:
I appreciate the thorough response! And I get what you mean. JRPGs have a certain vibe to them that I could see someone enjoying without going full uwu, so I see where you're coming from. Even I have to admit I don't keep up on a lot of current Japanese pop culture stuff, but having been bullied while growing up for being deep into 90s anime, jpop, games, and general Japanese culture (I even strongly prefer Japanese cars 😅), I sorta latched onto the "weeb" label as a way to flip a sassy bird to the assholes who thought I should be ashamed of that. Like "why yes, I am a weeb thank you for the compliment." Nowadays there's so much Jstuff available that I can't keep up so I mostly play the part of an old hipster weeb who only appreciates the "old good stuff" and doesn't like all the "new mainstream" stuff. 😅 But it's all in good fun.

TL;DR: I get ya
(I also don't like Kingdom Hearts, except for that one Utada Hikaru song)

They're great. I like Passion especially. That song + the intro movie for KH2 set the bar very, very high for the game, I thought I was in for a masterpiece. But I found the game (and 1) to be extremely dull.

I'm sorry, Fami. It's me. I'm the Scrimblo Bimblo enjoyer who doesn't care about Nintendo's modern RPG output outside of Pokémon. Turn based strategy hurts my brain! I don't care for Xenoblade 2's character design! I love me some jumpy wahoo games! Will I ever learn how to love a Fire Emblem?

...but I like Kingdom Hearts and don't have any enotional or nostalgic connection to Rare's output, so, uh, maybe I'm more of a walking contradiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom