• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm thinking... I might pull a complete wildcard and start Yakuza: Like a Dragon tonight. I say wildcard because I've got a bunch of other games in my backlog I should probably play first.

Buuuut... watching part 1 of TehSnakerer's Yakuza 0 review put me in a major 'Yakuza' mood, and I feel like experiencing another wacky-yet-dramatic story instead of something more serious.

So LaD it is!

Paging @Derachi for the good news :p

Why weren't you wearing a wrist strap?
I am so sorry Nintendo, I shall never endanger my surroundings like that again :(
Oh no! I hope everyone (and everything) is ok! I admit, I'm too lazy to get the wrist strap out whenever I'm playing Switch Sports. I just think that it'll never happen to me.
Nothing happened except that the joycon light indicator at the side there seems to be broken now. I even managed to still win the match somehow. I didn't think this'd ever happen to me either. lol

This small documentary is SO GOOD!

I really love media like this.

So I'm thinking... I might pull a complete wildcard and start Yakuza: Like a Dragon tonight. I say wildcard because I've got a bunch of other games in my backlog I should probably play first.

Buuuut... watching part 1 of TehSnakerer's Yakuza 0 review put me in a major 'Yakuza' mood, and I feel like experiencing another wacky-yet-dramatic story instead of something more serious.

So LaD it is!

I hope you enjoy! I loved Like a Dragon and it's actually my favorite Yakuza game. Similarly to you, I had a backlog of games that I wanted to play before getting to Like a Dragon, however, I actually beat every game in my backlog and saved Like a Dragon for last. That was September of last year, and it was a glorious feeling once I finished the game and had no backlog left. I just played a bunch of random games until Black Friday and holiday deals came around and I stocked up again. Now I'm working through my new backlog.

popping in to ask if anyone knows how Sonic Colors Ultimate is on switch now? Is it fixed?
It’s fine. All the big glitches have been fixed, to my knowledge. It’s just disappointing that they didn’t prioritize the Switch version, so it’s stuck at 30fps on Switch when it would have been easily possible to bump it to 60fps if they didn’t keep the new ridiculously high poly background elements. I’ll never understand why SEGA doesn’t prioritize the Nintendo versions of all their Sonic games, since they’re always the best-selling versions. They should have built the game with Switch in mind from the beginning and then ported up to Xbox and PlayStation, not the other way around leaving us with a subpar Switch version compared to what it could have been… But it’s perfectly playable and all, so if you want the game on Switch there’s no reason not to get it.

FT4K91sXwAIQXus

Well just wrapped up my Saturday morning project.
Well I did it and attempted a top coat with a can of mr clear I had lying around. Other than a screwup on the breast fire part no major issues

IMG_5152.jpg

Forgot how ridiculously huge God Scrander is
IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

Surprisingly it’s not that out of scale with the infinity version
IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

Was fun and not bad for a 13 year old no scale kit
You fail, you forgot Wario Master of disguise. So Wario was displeased. The lack of Wario World hurt as well

ok so what's the deal does Namco own Xenosaga but monlithsoft owns kos-mos?
Yeah stupidest thing ever isn't it. Good thing that Monolith isn't ready to forget KOSMOS, they have made it the official studio mascot. She was in both PXZ games.

Hope everybody's having a good Saturday. By the standards of my current levels of fatigue, I'm doing OK today because I'm getting through the list of errands and activities I set myself. So even though it could be that I'm in the apartment all weekend, I don't mind. Currently it's time for Mass Effect and ice cold lemonade.

I’m thinking of getting back into Star Wars. I haven’t watched anything other than the movies (all of them except Clone Wars.) I plan to rewatch the movies and finally watch all the TV shows, but I’m still trying to decide what order to do everything in since Obi-Wan is currently airing lol. I’m considering just going with release order for now.

I know next to nothing about Final Fantasy V.

Usually, when people talk about the original six, they just mention, well, Final Fantasy VI and that's it.
Yea, that's because V never released here when it should've. In a brawl between the 8/16-bit games that did release here, VI is almost always going to come out on top.

V in broadstrokes is the 4th Final Fantasy centered around the elemental crystals. This time they're shattering and that's fucking up the planet (as opposed to I where they just went... dim). You add to that a return of the job system from III (and later seen in Tactics) but done up in a more user friendly manner (you can freely jump between jobs without having to spend points you've earned in combat) and the ATB system from IV and you have a very good and very flexible game.

It's also the last Final Fantasy that strongly adheres to the Western fantasy aesthetic until Square decided to make IX a throwback to that style. So among the old-time FF fans it has a lot of cachet.

I know next to nothing about Final Fantasy V.

Usually, when people talk about the original six, they just mention, well, Final Fantasy VI and that's it.
@shoptroll described it well above, but yeah the main gimmick is you get different jobs over the course of the story you can swap between like Warrior, Thief, Black Mage (offensive magic), etc. As you level up jobs you master skills for them and can ultimately share skills / combine jobs together. Like maybe you can pair your Ninja with healing spells they learned earlier as a White Mage.

I’m pretty blown away by Luigi’s Mansion 3. Finding this at least as enjoyable as a top tier 3D Mario. Graphics and level of detail and variety are incredible. Co-op is great. Half way through and this seems to be a masterpiece.

I’m pretty blown away by Luigi’s Mansion 3. Finding this at least as enjoyable as a top tier 3D Mario. Graphics and level of detail and variety are incredible. Co-op is great. Half way through and this seems to be a masterpiece.
It's a fantastic game for sure. This is making me feel like doing a second playthrough. Maybe this Halloween!

From what I've gathered, most people seem to agree that there's one good Mario Sports game on Switch

No one seems to agree on which one that is though
Karting is a sport, right ? So I think we can all make peace and agree that actually the best Mario Sports game on the Switch is MK8Dx

Andw that the worst one is Mario golf

Switch servers down in UK. Really frustrating as I have the my own Switch set as my secondary (so me and my partner can share digital titles between our consoles) and so can't "check if the software can be played". eShop also down.

I’ve got hella nostalgia for Sonic Advance 2 which is ironic because it’s apparently the Advance game people like the least

Also Sonic Battle cause that was the closet I could get to a portable Smash Bros at the time. Even if Sonic Battle was nothing like Smash in any way
So I went and dug out some stuff!

I can’t believe how hard it is to play on an original GBA nowadays. It’s nearly impossible to see anything! I really regret selling my DS Lite now.

How difficult is it to replace the screen with one of those fancy backlit ones?

So LaD it is!

This got me like

ichiban-yakuza.gif

From what I've gathered, most people seem to agree that there's one good Mario Sports game on Switch

No one seems to agree on which one that is though
I like both Aces and Super Rush…

Aces is my favorite Mario Tennis game. Bringing in fighting game mechanics to Tennis was awesome. I like Super Rush more than Aces, but I’m not sure if it’s my favorite Mario Golf game. Every one of those games has its own strengths and weaknesses. I prefer the classic Mario Golf swinging mechanics, but I do like going with your gut in Super Rush. There’s an impressive amount of courses in Super Rush now after the DLC and I love it’s back on consoles for easy local multiplayer.

@Raccoon would like you all to know that you're being lied to about Sonic Frontiers!

Wake up Badniks!

I watched that channel a bit because admittedly the raccoon gimmick hooked me in, but I had to drop it when he kept basing his videos around leaks from "the very reliable insider Zippo." 😬

Our Raccoon knows better.

I'm not into "spiritual sucessors" as definitive replacements of series that I like (say, I was a fan, I wouldn't ever stop wishing for a Castlevania game, because Bloodstained exists, for example).. but in the meantime, thank God for ANTONBLAST!!
i'm more of a pizza tower guy

I really enjoyed Aces. The problem for me is, the online died quickly (being in Australia and I believe it's region based).

Guinness, comfort food (chicken nuggets, potato wedges, greens, home made), and my 3rd rugby match of the day (listened to one via radio coverage, streamed two). Yesssss

More Mass Effect and the third episode of Stranger Things later to cap the day off

Yea, that's because V never released here when it should've. In a brawl between the 8/16-bit games that did release here, VI is almost always going to come out on top.

V in broadstrokes is the 4th Final Fantasy centered around the elemental crystals. This time they're shattering and that's fucking up the planet (as opposed to I where they just went... dim). You add to that a return of the job system from III (and later seen in Tactics) but done up in a more user friendly manner (you can freely jump between jobs without having to spend points you've earned in combat) and the ATB system from IV and you have a very good and very flexible game.

It's also the last Final Fantasy that strongly adheres to the Western fantasy aesthetic until Square decided to make IX a throwback to that style. So among the old-time FF fans it has a lot of cachet.
Oh damn

Sounds... great actually. Nice.

Okay, so I'm tryig to get back into video gaming.

And, err, while some of the games here looked interesting, the Japanese games (I'm guessing the VNs, right?) looked... pretty embarrassing to watch, ngl.

I was clicking between tabs, but err, yeah...

The last few 10 were... Yeah...

7th Dragon and Etrian Odyssey games are great.
I tried Etrian odyssey and couldn’t get into it. Perhaps if Atlus has another sale, I’ll get the one with a actual story. That might help.
I don’t know much about JRPGs on 3DS, my main experience with them were the six and seventh Pokémon gens, and Mario and Luigi, lol. But I remember hearing that Bravely Default was good, and the Dragon Quest games.

As for me, I just got a physical copy of Planet Robobot, and the Luigi’s Mansion port should be arriving any day. The only games I want to get now are Castlevania LoS Mirror of Fate, and Hey Pikmin. I know those don’t have the best reputation but I want to play them anyway!
I need to get the Kirby games. Just realize I don’t own any of them. The original Luigi Mansion too. Tho I feel that’ll come to future console in a while so might skip since I know I won’t like it on 3DS.
DQ 7/8 remakes on the 3DS are my favorite way to play two of my favorite JRPGs
Braverly Default is also a great game I prefer it over the sequel on the Switch
Didn’t like BD 2 but I heard BD is overall better so perhaps I’ll budge. I forgot about rhe DQ Remakes. Heard 8 is good.
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance was my favorite on the system. It’s on a lot of other platforms now so it’s not too hard to track down thankfully. The movement and action in that game are spectacular.

Never played the 3DS version, but Radiant Historia is on there and is very good.
I have KH DDD. And I also own Radiant Historia on DS. Think I also bought the 3DS remake last sale Atlas had. Everything goes on sale every month lol.
You want Dragon Quest 7. Was my Game of the year 2016. It's an excellent trun based rpg with a a job system and a really cool story. Would heavily recommend.
I always Hear DQ8 is the one to get. Interesting to hear about DQ7. Will probably get that too since I’ll get around to playing it one day.

Didn’t like BD 2 but I heard BD is overall better so perhaps I’ll budge. I forgot about rhe DQ Remakes. Heard 8 is good.
My favorite of the two DQ games is VIII but I’m biased because it was the first mainline DQ game I completed back in the PS2, any of the two are good picks and it doesnt matter which you pick first. I’d say if you have already played DQXI go for DQVIII is the most similar imo

The server outage forced me to play Cattails. It's a cute little in-the-wild cat life sim my partner picked up on sale a while back. Able to play as my Switch is technically her "primary" so no license check on boot up. I wasn't expecting much from the game but I'm rather hooked. It blends so many genres. I've just been down the canyon mines clawing for ore for the mole. Earlier I was hunting for prey to offer a glowing statue. And I keep having to defend and expand my colony. It's different, and it's challenging on normal difficulty.

So I went and dug out some stuff!

I can’t believe how hard it is to play on an original GBA nowadays. It’s nearly impossible to see anything! I really regret selling my DS Lite now.

How difficult is it to replace the screen with one of those fancy backlit ones?

If you want the best possible screen or the most brightness features, you're gonna need to know how to solder. But if you don't care and want to avoid soldering, then there's a relatively simple option for you:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom