• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Asura's Wrath, remembering the times when games were allowed to be nuts.
giphy.gif

Wtf there's another Star Wars show coming out a month after Obi Wan ends? Between Marvel and Star Wars Disney is over milking their franchises now. Where are the new franchises? Disney Plus has Percy Jackson coming next year and that's the only series I can think of that isn't related to Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar/Disney Animation properties.
They have some stuff that's in-development right now like Nautilus, Goosebumps or The Spiderwick Chronicles. But it's true, it's Marvel and Star Wars overload.

Hell, they just announced this less than an hour ago:

They have some stuff that's in-development right now like Nautilus, Goosebumps or The Spiderwick Chronicles. But it's true, it's Marvel and Star Wars overload.

Hell, they just announced this less than an hour ago:

Jon Watts has me interested, I loved his Spider-Man movies. But I'm not interested in half of the future Marvel/Star Wars projects and the constant releases are wearing me down. Wandavision and Mandalorian felt like big events. The rest of these shows don't, not really.

Nice to hear there's some new non Marvel/Star Wars stuff in the works though.

I was reading up on the Pokémon Latin American localization petition and while the idea is honorable, and great for those that would prefer it, but it seems misguided in calling Latin American Spanish? I feel this is asking for a localization that will benefit a couple of countries, because the language and dialect differences in between most countries in South and Central America are as different as can be.

So for me, a Mexican or Uruguayan localization will be as jarring as the one for Spain is to some countries.

Like Venezuela for example, we speak castellano obviously, but of course we have our own colloquialisms that became part of our language outside of schools and professional settings. So a curse word to us is not a curse word in another country and vice versa. Or words that mean something in my country and not in another. When I lived in Venezuela, Argentina, and Paraguay, the dialects were different enough that it took me time to adjust. Heck, I run into that issue today when speaking with clients from Mexico or the DR.

And it goes the other way where some clients have trouble understanding things that I say.

So I wonder how they plan to manage such a localization. I doubt they will do one for each country. Or if they choose a neutral word, which neutral word, because various countries have a different definition for neutral.

So not sure how this is going to work overall. The effort is great, but I feel it should go deeper than that because it will be going back to square one.

Btw also not a single Portuguese dialect will be available on Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

Users started a campaign on-line, and eventually TPC acknowledged it and sent a statement saying they're analysing how to expand localization to more markets, including Latin America, but basically "no" for now xD

Last edited:
Holy hell I died to the colored pencils twice

I swear there is some super easy way to beat them that I am over looking somehow
I LOVED that fight. That was the moment TOK came alive for me. The boss fights are all spectacular, but the colored pencils fight was special.

Jon Watts has me interested, I loved his Spider-Man movies. But I'm not interested in half of the future Marvel/Star Wars projects and the constant releases are wearing me down. Wandavision and Mandalorian felt like big events. The rest of these shows don't, not really.

Nice to hear there's some new non Marvel/Star Wars stuff in the works though.

Almost forgot Willow:

I was reading up on the Pokémon Latin American localization petition and while the idea is honorable, and great for those that would prefer it, but it seems misguided in calling Latin American Spanish? I feel this is asking for a localization that will benefit a couple of countries, because the language and dialect differences in between most countries in South and Central America are as different as can be.

So for me, a Mexican or Uruguayan localization will be as jarring as the one for Spain is to some countries.

Like Venezuela for example, we speak castellano obviously, but of course we have our own colloquialisms that became part of our language outside of schools and professional settings. So a curse word to us is not a curse word in another country and vice versa. Or words that mean something in my country and not in another. When I lived in Venezuela, Argentina, and Paraguay, the dialects were different enough that it took me time to adjust. Heck, I run into that issue today when speaking with clients from Mexico or the DR.

And it goes the other way where some clients have trouble understanding things that I say.

So I wonder how they plan to manage such a localization. I doubt they will do one for each country. Or if they choose a neutral word, which neutral word, because various countries have a different definition for neutral.

So not sure how this is going to work overall. The effort is great, but I feel it should go deeper than that because it will be going back to square one.
What happens is either they choose Mexican/Argentinian Spanish (usually Mexican) or neutral Spanish. I hate neutral Spanish because it’s an artificial dialect only made to try to unify all dialects under one removing all the cultural importance of the language it also sound artificial.

I have to say though that I’m quite privileged due to being from Spain even if my mother tongue isn’t Spanish It’s the dialect I’m used to, so other people may prefer neutral spanish over one with dialect if they have to choose.

What happens is either they choose Mexican/Argentinian Spanish (usually Mexican) or neutral Spanish. I hate neutral Spanish because it’s an artificial dialect only made to try to unify all dialects under one removing all the cultural importance of the language it also sound artificial.

I have to say though that I’m quite privileged due to being from Spain even if my mother tongue isn’t Spanish It’s the dialect I’m used to, so other people may prefer neutral spanish over one with dialect if they have to choose.

I can’t stand neutral Spanish because it is so lifeless. And also, neutral can differ I’ve noticed too.

In school in Venezuela they teach castellano from Spain, so I usually switch over to Spain with a localization as well, which is closer because even without our own colloquial slang, I can understand it perfectly. But I have trouble with Mexican Spanish dubs due to unique slang or words that have a very different meaning to me lol

I can’t stand neutral Spanish because it is so lifeless. And also, neutral can differ I’ve noticed too.

In school in Venezuela they teach castellano from Spain, so I usually switch over to Spain with a localization as well, which is closer because even without our own colloquial slang, I can understand it perfectly. But I have trouble with Mexican Spanish dubs due to unique slang or words that have a very different meaning to me lol

I have a friend who has worked as assitant director in the dubbing area for some movies /games here in México (Toei and Bamco) and told me they have very specific guidelines like avoiding colloquialisms, slangs and certain accents ( like chilean or argentinian), so they kinda have it make it neutral no matter where the dub is recorderd or the VA are from ( funny thing a lot of the recognized VA here are from Venezuela and Argentina)

I feel so completely disconnected of the conversation around the latest Disney+ shows, even though I'm a Star Wars fan, I have no energy to keep up with the new stuff.. and then, when comes to the movies, I suppose there will be a moment that it will become required to me to watch these shows to understand what's going on.. (already happening with MCU and I really dislike it..); Heck, skipping the spinoffs and only going for the numbered sequels is already complicated enough..

I have a friend who has worked as assitant director in the dubbing area for some movies /games here in México (Toei and Bamco) and told me they have very specific guidelines like avoiding colloquialisms, slangs and certain accents ( like chilean or argentinian), so they kinda have it make it neutral no matter where the dub is recorderd or the VA are from ( funny thing a lot of the recognized VA here are from Venezuela and Argentina)
Well that’s good to know. Does being too neutral come off weird?

Like insert X country for the word cool, slaps, banger, whatever.

Do they just use “genial!” or “buenísimo!” in order to remain neutral? Cause then that’s kinda dorky lol

I feel so completely disconnected of the conversation around the latest Disney+ shows, even though I'm a Star Wars fan, I have no energy to keep up with the new stuff.. and then, when comes to the movies, I suppose there will be a moment that it will become required to me to watch these shows to understand what's going on.. (already happening with MCU and I really dislike it..); Heck, skipping the spinoffs and only going for the numbered sequels is already complicated enough..
You're not alone, I haven't watched a new show or movie in probably 2 years. Wife and I just have no time to sit down and watch something with two nutso kids.

Do they just use “genial!” or “buenísimo!” in order to remain neutral? Cause then that’s kinda dorky lol
Could be worse.
I'm old enough to remember Krillin saying "mondo cool."

Out of all the times that I've been to the Nintendo New York store, I think the only things I have gotten were Hotel Dusk on DS and a Toon Link plush.

I got to visit the store in late 2006, either right before the Wii launched or right after. They had demo stations of the launch games. I think I played Excite Trucks. It was a pretty awesome time. The DS was hiding its stride and the launch of the Wii with a brand new Zelda was an exciting time.

Totally, a lot of the dubs are mocked here because of that in a "so bad its good way". They usually have some level of freedom regarding how to phrase things and if its culturally acceptable (lets say for example something from el Chavo del 8 wouldn't have changes), but they do have a blacklist of which words to avoid (like the verb "coger", its at the top of the list).

But also being realistic, most of the people that find it weird are the only ones that know the source material, for the general audience it has become normal as most of the dubs we have have been neutral for more than 10 years now (i.e Adventure time Jake dub was VERY mexican, and around season 4 or 5 CN ORDERED the guy that dubbed jake to keep it neutral because they were getting a lot of complaints that nobody was understanding what the hell he was saying, and even as mexican it was hard because some of his references where from 40's movies)

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up physical copies Dragon Quest VII and VIII and Tales of Abyss on 3DS when they were relatively cheap. Thankfully the DQ games are on the eShop so I can still nab them till August but Tales of Abyss is not.

Just went through one hell of a fucking storm and have a stress related headache from it like holy fucking shit it was two big storms right next to each other with tornado warnings for two hours

Totally, a lot of the dubs are mocked here because of that in a "so bad its good way". They usually have some level of freedom regarding how to phrase things and if its culturally acceptable (lets say for example something from el Chavo del 8 wouldn't have changes), but they do have a blacklist of which words to avoid (like the verb "coger", its at the top of the list).

But also being realistic, most of the people that find it weird are the only ones that know the source material, for the general audience it has become normal as most of the dubs we have have been neutral for more than 10 years now (i.e Adventure time Jake dub was VERY mexican, and around season 4 or 5 CN ORDERED the guy that dubbed jake to keep it neutral because they were getting a lot of complaints that nobody was understanding what the hell he was saying, and even as mexican it was hard because some of his references where from 40's movies)
If you are used to neutral spanish I can understand not being so weird to you, that's true. That's probably why I hate I almost never hear it so it feels unnatural to me

Wtf there's another Star Wars show coming out a month after Obi Wan ends? Between Marvel and Star Wars Disney is over milking their franchises now. Where are the new franchises? Disney Plus has Percy Jackson coming next year and that's the only series I can think of that isn't related to Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar/Disney Animation properties.
I just wish Disney tried to be more experimental with these shows. For example the Obi-Wan show should have been about Obi-Wan watching over Luke from afar while getting high with Tattoine outcasts and having bizarre spirit visions while Owen watches in disgust.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up physical copies Dragon Quest VII and VIII and Tales of Abyss on 3DS when they were relatively cheap. Thankfully the DQ games are on the eShop so I can still nab them till August but Tales of Abyss is not.

Can still get for decent price form Canada.

Something clicked and now I think I really understand the appeal of coding. There's something so elegant about concisely telling a computer what to do and watching it do that with no fuss.

Could be worse.
I'm old enough to remember Krillin saying "mondo cool."
LOL I feel like I have to start using that in my vocabulary

So country specific localizations ain’t happening any time soon, huh? Haha

When I was a kid, I didn’t mind the dubs because I didn’t know better. I mean I thought T&C Surf Design for the NES was good lol

But as I got older, like 18 or so, it started to feel jarring to me how everything sounded … off. So I switched to Spain Spanish because it was more familiar to me.

With the exception of anime. Which was miles above and beyond the American dubs. South American released anime was amazing… plus all the stuff we got that Americans never got.

When I was a kid, I didn’t mind the dubs because I didn’t know better. I mean I thought T&C Surf Design for the NES was good lol

But as I got older, like 18 or so, it started to feel jarring to me how everything sounded … off. So I switched to Spain Spanish because it was more familiar to me.

With the exception of anime. Which was miles above and beyond the American dubs. South American released anime was amazing… plus all the stuff we got that Americans never got.
For LATAM I don't think so. Even games like Uncharted that were dubbed in Argentina have neutral spanish (with no accent of course). In the end it's a matter of cost, and also that this 'neutral' dub is the one they usually use for US spanish speaking audience.

I'm glad you quoted me because I figured you'd be happy to know they were playing Sonic Adventure music in there and I geeked out a little with the cashier about it.
Now I'm geeking toooo
As a west coastie, would it be too much to ask for a Nintendo World Store in Portland or Seattle? Ya know, considering Nintendo is in the friggin PNW?

Something clicked and now I think I really understand the appeal of coding. There's something so elegant about concisely telling a computer what to do and watching it do that with no fuss.
“Code really is man’s best friend, it knows its place, and performs useful functions"
- PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan

the Obi-Wan show should have been about Obi-Wan watching over Luke from afar while getting high with Tattoine outcasts and having bizarre spirit visions while Owen watches in disgust.
Well you're in luck becaaaauuse:
They're talking about The High Republic now.

Now I'm geeking toooo
As a west coastie, would it be too much to ask for a Nintendo World Store in Portland or Seattle? Ya know, considering Nintendo is in the friggin PNW?
I did always think it was odd that it's just in NYC. But since I was in the area it was a good excuse to add to my collection of Bowser shirts.

This also reminds me a lot of people got REALLY mad with the official latam spanish pronunciation of Hyrule ('Irule') when Nintendo showed the BotW trailer lol

I did always think it was odd that it's just in NYC. But since I was in the area it was a good excuse to add to my collection of Bowser shirts.
IIRC it's because NoA used to be in NYC in the very beginning, before they moved to Redmond to be with the other big tech companies. The store remains as a sort of stamp on the city since it was the start.
Which I get, totally, I just don't get why they don't open a second one.
And I really only care because I don't wanna travel to the east coast just to visit that one store or catch an in-person Direct

I’d like a Xenogears remake as much as the next guy, but only if Monolith/Nintendo are involved. Otherwise I’ll take a straight port.
Yes please

It's telling that I have no idea if this is a real quote or not.
close enough. I copy-pasted it from his recently-communicated stance on abortion rights where he suddenly pivoted to talking about dogs, I just changed the word "dogs" to "code."

Last edited:
I’d like a Xenogears remake as much as the next guy, but only if Monolith/Nintendo are involved. Otherwise I’ll take a straight port.
That would mean permanent exclusivity which SE may not accept and Nintendo is only going to let Monolith Soft work on a game if its Nintendo exclusive forever. The only way I could see it is SE licensing the IP to Nintendo to remake the game but I think Nintendo prefers Monolith Soft to create new games for the IPs they own . At this point, I agree a straight port would be the best though if it’s not possible the original team to be involved

This also reminds me a lot of people got REALLY mad with the official latam spanish pronunciation of Hyrule ('Irule') when Nintendo showed the BotW trailer lol

Oh I didn’t catch that! Although I’ve heard really good things about the Spanish localization on BoTW

Mickey Mouse underrated as a video game icon

Replace all his 8/16 bit games with some generic 80/90s mascot and they’d be a gaming legend. Think his games get overlooked due to them being all licensed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom