• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am truly sorry for the promise that was United States.

It's been perverted purposefully for a long time but more so in the last twenty years than ever before. It has no redemption in sight. It is oligarchy with false democracy stapled on top. Republicans are just theocratic fascists and democrats are pampering into imaginary moderates instead of pulling actual young people, minorities, majorities and actual citizens from the dump they have been helping to build.

Even if they did the bare minimum it would secure their win in the next election, but being held hostage by senators and representatives and lobby groups is how they have been losing for a long time.

Whatever needs to be done I don't it will be done in a long time. And I fear that it will not be done without violence or insurrection.

I am truly sorry for the promise that was United States.

It's been perverted purposefully for a long time but more so in the last twenty years than ever before. It has no redemption in sight. It is oligarchy with false democracy stapled on top. Republicans are just theocratic fascists and democrats are pampering into imaginary moderates instead of pulling actual young people, minorities, majorities and actual citizens from the dump they have been helping to build.

Even if they did the bare minimum it would secure their win in the next election, but being held hostage by senators and representatives and lobby groups is how they have been losing for a long time.

Whatever needs to be done I don't it will be done in a long time. And I fear that it will not be done without violence or insurrection.
During the classes(geography, history, sociale science) i had in my life. The times that ive heard teachers and co-students say that the USA was a failed state was enough that i could buy icecream, if every time it was said i got 5 eurocents...

Must say that they increasingly were right in their assessment

Lol Grubb says he heard that Sony buying Square. I think Nintendo would not be ok with Sony owning a Mario game.

Seriously, what a nightmare scenario this would be. So many peple would be laid off, there are too much in Square that Sony would not need: Magna publishing, merch & collectibles, whole Taito arcade business, mobile development... There'd be a mass exodus of talent too, I don't expect the devs of DQ, Mana, Bravely and SaGa sticking around as it very would be unlikely for Sony to greenlight and fund their projects. Sony made it clear they are disiniterested in anything that does not feature cutting edge visuals.

Lol Grubb says he heard that Sony buying Square. I think Nintendo would not be ok with Sony owning a Mario game.

Seriously, what a nightmare scenario this would be. So many peple would be laid off, there are too much in Square that Sony would not need: Magna publishing, merch & collectibles, whole Taito arcade business, mobile development... There'd be a mass exodus of talent too, I don't expect the devs of DQ, Mana, Bravely and SaGa sticking around as it very would be unlikely for Sony to greenlight and fund their projects. Sony made it clear they are disiniterested in anything that does not feature cutting edge visuals.

He says it's still a rumor. Square is apparently trying to position itself for acquisition and Sony would be one of the candidates, and that's it for now

I rarely ever learn anything from the Switch News Page since I usually see stuff on Twitter and here first, but I just learned through it Chocobo GP’s season 1 is being extended two weeks to end on May 30. You get to keep Gil between seasons now too which I didn’t even know was going to expire (which would have been awful). Sad we aren’t getting the new tracks sooner. Season 2 was probably the new gaming thing I was looking forward to most this month :/ Good thing for the endless backlog.

He says it's still a rumor. Square is apparently trying to position itself for acquisition and Sony would be one of the candidates, and that's it for now
Even that is not a believable rumor. I don't think they could find a buyer that would leave the company intact the way it is right now. They have very diverse divisions. Super rich ones like Tencent might be the only option.
Please Nintendo save Team Asano and DQ from this bullshit
Not just that, there would be much more than that to be saved. I don't wanna imagine all those Taito franchises rotting in the corner along with other Sony legacy names. Bubble Bobble, Bust-a-move, Space Invaders, awful lot of stuff to be disappear completely.

Also Team Asano and Team DQ would not be the only divisions that Nintendo would save: Team Kawazu (SaGa), Team Mana, Remaster Team, Tokyo RPG Factory they all would have no future under Sony. Maybe even Nomura himself too, he's been assisting Xenoblade designs for Monolith. In fact, main FF teams might be the only ones Sony would end up with after the exodus.

Grubb knows nothing.

Nothing against him, but genuinely no one knows anything really concrete months in advance. The only real M&A leak we had was Microsoft/Activision just 40 minutes before it was officially announced.

It's quite clearly bollocks.

I'm not sure how people can do the mental gymnastics to convince themselves that the part of Square Enix Sony wouldn't want is the AAA western developers working on Marvel games.

Yeah as I wrote on IB I think this actually points in the opposite direction, Square wants to stay independent and focus even more on their bigger assets.

If Square ends up getting bought I wonder how many of their devs end up at Nintendo anyways? Monolith, 1up, Grezzo, and I think Alpha Dream all started with or had ex-Square talent at some point.

Edit: Could Kadokawa be a potential suitor?

I'm not sure how people can do the mental gymnastics to convince themselves that the part of Square Enix Sony wouldn't want is the AAA western developers working on Marvel games.
Maybe because they already have their own Marvel deals? I mean, they have spiderman and wolverine exclusively and none of the team marvel games seems to be yielding much results.
Now, I can totally see how they would love to officially turn Final Fantasy into a Sony first party franchise.

Maybe because they already have their own Marvel deals? I mean, they have spiderman and wolverine exclusively and none of the team marvel games seems to be yielding much results.
Now, I can totally see how they would love to officially turn Final Fantasy into a Sony first party franchise.

Wolverine was them already doubling down on Marvel(actually tripling considering Iron Man VR) so why wouldn't they want experienced studios attached to the IPs that they could whip into shape. Avengers was an all round bust but Guardians was a really well received single player, narrative experience... which is PlayStation's bread and butter.

SE Japan operation is a lot more than FF(and Kingdom Hearts). Does Sony want Taito? Tokyo RPG Factory?

I have my doubts using CDs would have made that much of a difference for the N64 and GameCube.

Third parties were already unhappy with how Nintendo had treated them in the NES and SNES era. Argonaut Games, DMA Designs (later Rockstar), and Rare weren't real happy with them either. Nintendo burned a LOT of bridges in those days.

Last edited:
SIE could just let SE ran themselves and only use it for Nier/FF/KH/DQ, other franchises/studios/branches would just create extra money to help finance the big projects of SIE and SE.

Taito coming to Nintendo would mean Lufia coming back. Let Team Asano come to Nintendo and that means Lufia in HD-2D! The possibilities.

Rumour reporting is when all reading comprehension and critical thinking gets thrown out of the window.

What happens a lot is that when certain journalists get quoted, they get quoted based on their speculation. Then their speculation is being put in as a confirmation of a rumour.

An acquisition will not leak as easily. Cause you will end up with insider trading then.

Wolverine was them already doubling down on Marvel(actually tripling considering Iron Man VR) so why wouldn't they want experienced studios attached to the IPs that they could whip into shape. Avengers was an all round bust but Guardians was a really well received single player, narrative experience... which is PlayStation's bread and butter.

SE Japan operation is a lot more than FF(and Kingdom Hearts). Does Sony want Taito? Tokyo RPG Factory?
GG was well received but I believe (perception out of my ass, feel free to correct me) that it wasn't a commercial success? And talent can always leave, maybe they even use their success towards Disney showing that it is better for them to deal exclusively with them? Also maybe Eidos financial situation was a reason for them to avoid it, I mean, Embracer got them kind of cheap.
Yup there's a lot of things in Square that I think Sony would just kill, try to buy without ou sell without even looking.
In any case, I'm just trying to think the logic of the rumour here, I fucking hope Sony does not buy Square, I don't have a PS console and don't want to, but I really enjoy team Asano and DQ games.

If Square ends up getting bought I wonder how many of their devs end up at Nintendo anyways? Monolith, 1up, Grezzo, and I think Alpha Dream all started with or had ex-Square talent at some point.
A lot of them. Nintendo would create new studios to lure talent from Square. Asano, Kawazu, Nishikado they'd all depart SE in case of a Sony takeover. Maybe a long shot but I totally expect Nomura to be out too.

As you said, Grezzo was founded by Koichi Ishii, former Mana head.
What happens a lot is that when certain journalists get quoted, they get quoted based on their speculation. Then their speculation is being put in as a confirmation of a rumour.
Even as a simple speculation this is insane coming from someone reputable like Grubb. A company whose main focus is graphical fidelity and AAA gaming buying a publisher who invests in retro gaming more than anything else.

I have my doubts using CDs would have made that much of a difference for the N64 and GameCube.

Third parties were already unhappy with how Nintendo had treated them in the NES and SNES era. Argonaut Games, DMA Designs (later Rockstar), and Rare weren't real happy with them either. Nintendo burned a LOT of bridges in those days.
I still believe, despite every grief third parties had with Nintendo, that the GameCube would've became the top-selling console of its generation if it was released before the PS2. It was cheaper to manufacture, more powerful and way easier to program for. A lot of japanese devs really hated the PS2, but were forced by the publishers to work on it anyway because it was the top-selling console at the time. Thank god Mikami (which at the time made an interview to say that Sony products were unreliable crap, lol) really did try to push support for the GC with the Capcom Five, even though Capcom kinda backstabbed him in the end.

I still believe, despite every grief third parties had with Nintendo, that the GameCube would've became the top-selling console of its generation if it was released before the PS2. It was cheaper to manufacture, more powerful and way easier to program for. A lot of japanese devs really hated the PS2, but were forced by the publishers to work on it anyway because it was the top-selling console at the time. Thank god Mikami (which at the time made an interview to say that Sony products were unreliable crap, lol) really did try to push support for the GC with the Capcom Five, even though Capcom kinda backstabbed him in the end.
Someone on another site posted a video about how the PS2 was actually REALLY hard to develop for, which is surprising, given how much support it got.

Last edited:
Even if Square doesnt get bought by Sony, one of the big publishers in the end will. I hate the acquistion race but it seems unavoidable that Sony buys one.

A lot of the reactions to acquisition rumours/speculation are clearly tainted by confirmation bias. If this rumour had resurfaced before the Eidos sale, people would say that it makes sense for Sony to buy them because they can make use of their Western AAA studios thanks to Marvel synergy.

Even if Square doesnt get bought by Sony, one of the big publishers in the end will. I hate the acquistion race but it seems unavoidable that Sony buys one.
I disagree. Publishers come with the management division which Sony is not in need of. They'd have overpaid if they bought whole publishers and Sony is a company that squeezes every penny. And has no problem shutting down studios unlike MS.

They'd rather go after individual profitable studios.

Don't think this would have happened for two reasons.

1. Developers were always going to work on PS2 games regardless of difficulty of development. Sony had huge hype and momentum plus a captive base of 100M with backwards compatibility, especially in the international market, something Nintendo was never able to do with their home systems. The hype for the system was out of control, and developers weren't going to ignore that, especially considering Sony had been much friendlier with licensing agreements for third parties than Nintendo.
  2. In order to beat the PS2 to market, the GC would have had to been released almost two years earlier (March of 2000 for the PS2 and September of 2001 for the GC). Had they done so, the hardware would have been more inline with the PS2 price wise, and potentially a tad weaker as well, negating the system's advantages that it had in 2001. The PS2 being a DVD player at $300 as well would have made a similarly priced Cube look like a bad deal in comparison.

I don't know who gives a damn, but I have it on good authority that some "MissingNo." is in talks of acquiring a pizza. Deal could go through as early as tonight.

Stay tuned.

The reason why we haven't had an indie world this year is because Embracer has bought all indies and there aren't any left anymore.

Please Nintendo save Team Asano and DQ from this bullshit

DQ is owned by Horii, so it doesn't need saving. If anything, Sony buying SE could mean DQ would become a Nintendo franchise basically, as SE wouldn't publish it no longer and Nintendo would be right there with open arms to publish everything.

DQ is owned by Horii, so it doesn't need saving. If anything, Sony buying SE could mean DQ would become a Nintendo franchise basically, as SE wouldn't publish it no longer and Nintendo would be right there with open arms to publish everything.
SIE would inherit from SE the Dragon Quest publishing rights and they have to decline them before other companies can take it. In any case I’d imagine Horii would force for multiplatform releases like in Bungie case but no way it goes to Nintendo the publishing rights of all future DQ games.

Quoted by: Leo
I don't know who gives a damn, but I have it on good authority that some "MissingNo." is in talks of acquiring a pizza. Deal could go through as early as tonight.

Stay tuned.
What kind of pizza is this individual acquiring ? Asking so my article on this hot topic would be as precise as possible.

SIE would inherit from SE the Dragon Quest publishing rights and they have to decline them before other companies can take it. In any case I’d imagine Horii would force for multiplatform releases like in Bungie case but no way it goes to Nintendo the publishing rights of all future DQ games.

Yeah that's just hypothetical as I think Sony wouldn't be interested in keeping publishing DQ especially in other consoles, so I think they would just drop the contract. But it's hard to predict, they could hold onto it just to prevent DQ becoming a Nintendo franchise.

What kind of pizza is this individual acquiring ? Asking so my article on this hot topic would be as precise as possible.
Can not make a definitive statement on that quite yet, so feel free to make your reporting on it as wild as your imagination allows for.

A lot of the reactions to acquisition rumours/speculation are clearly tainted by confirmation bias. If this rumour had resurfaced before the Eidos sale, people would say that it makes sense for Sony to buy them because they can make use of their Western AAA studios thanks to Marvel synergy.
Totally agreed. People thinking Sony buying Square makes sense is the most obvious "gamer forum bubble" reaction I've seen lately.

I don't know how current the data is but a quick glance at the lists on Wikipedia show how far the FInal Fantasy brand has fallen in the last decade (for anything that isn't Final Fantasy VII):

The series topped out at 8.5 million units with X. That was checks calendar 20 years ago. XV sold 2.5 million on PS4 and VIIR did 5 million according to these lists.

Meanwhile you've got most of SIE's published stuff doing better than that. Nier: Automata did 1.6 million which is a smaller hit than Octopath Traveler was on Switch alone.

If Sony wants Final Fantasy on PlayStation buying Square is probably the most expensive way of guaranteeing that since exclusivity deals are part and parcel of how the two companies have worked together in the past. And that doesn't even get into what to do with Jump, the toys/lifestyle and music publishing arms, the mobile games, the Switch games, and the fact that S-E needs nearly every AAA game to be multi-platform (read: MS/Sony) or an exclusivity deal at this point to be profitable. And like I said recently in another thread, I don't think Sony is as big a company as most people think and may not have enough to afford an entity as big as Square-Enix even without the Eidos holdings.

That all said... This is one of the few cases where I think Nintendo opens up their M&A fund and goes to town. S-E has been one of the most consistent supporters for their handhelds (yes, including Switch) since they were allowed back in with the GBA. Sony getting S-E and taking everything away would be a huge blow to Nintendo, and I would imagine they try to outbid simply out of self-defense. But I also think that, with the exception of Jump, Nintendo would benefit tremendously from some of Square-Enix's side things like the lifestyle/toy brands and music publishing given their emphasis on broadening out their products in recent years like the Universal Studios park and Mario movie. It would also shore up Nintendo as the home of JRPGs which would have the knock on effect of dragging Atlus and Persona to the table because the Western audience for the genre would barely exist on PlayStation at that point without Final Fantasy.

I also think Square-Enix would benefit tremendously from more technological constraints. Having lower graphical fidelity in S-E games would be a small price to pay for a stable release pipeline, and ideally more frequent releases.

But I think there would be a part of me that would be sad to have S-E go exclusive to any one manufacturer. My hope is that if they do sell off it's to a compatible existing Japanese publisher (Capcom maybe?), some alternative entity like Kadokawa, or a holding company and they remain 3rd party. Ideally, the company is broken apart with the various arms ending up in different hands but that seems more complicated to arrange.

But I do think if they go to Sony it's going to worse than if they went to Nintendo.

Can not make a definitive statement on that quite yet, so feel free to make your reporting on it as wild as your imagination allows for.
Capture-d-cran-2022-05-03-15-04-35.png

I can't believe Sony is also buying Square when the Konami and Capcom acquisitions still haven't fully gone through

I have sources that got a hold of pictures of the box confirming that yes, the pizza exists and is set to be acquired soon. I can't post the pictures to protect the people involved, but they say the place usually adds cheese and tomato sauce to the pie.

Square-Enix's side things like the lifestyle/toy brands and music publishing given their emphasis on broadening out their products in recent years like the Universal Studios park and Mario movie.
Now I want Square Enix Play Arts to take over amiibo business...

Totally agreed. People thinking Sony buying Square makes sense is the most obvious "gamer forum bubble" reaction I've seen lately.

I don't know how current the data is but a quick glance at the lists on Wikipedia show how far the FInal Fantasy brand has fallen in the last decade (for anything that isn't Final Fantasy VII):

The series topped out at 8.5 million units with X. That was checks calendar 20 years ago. XV sold 2.5 million on PS4 and VIIR did 5 million according to these lists.

Meanwhile you've got most of SIE's published stuff doing better than that. Nier: Automata did 1.6 million which is a smaller hit than Octopath Traveler was on Switch alone.

If Sony wants Final Fantasy on PlayStation buying Square is probably the most expensive way of guaranteeing that since exclusivity deals are part and parcel of how the two companies have worked together in the past. And that doesn't even get into what to do with Jump, the toys/lifestyle and music publishing arms, the mobile games, the Switch games, and the fact that S-E needs nearly every AAA game to be multi-platform (read: MS/Sony) or an exclusivity deal at this point to be profitable. And like I said recently in another thread, I don't think Sony is as big a company as most people think and may not have enough to afford an entity as big as Square-Enix even without the Eidos holdings.

That all said... This is one of the few cases where I think Nintendo opens up their M&A fund and goes to town. S-E has been one of the most consistent supporters for their handhelds (yes, including Switch) since they were allowed back in with the GBA. Sony getting S-E and taking everything away would be a huge blow to Nintendo, and I would imagine they try to outbid simply out of self-defense. But I also think that, with the exception of Jump, Nintendo would benefit tremendously from some of Square-Enix's side things like the lifestyle/toy brands and music publishing given their emphasis on broadening out their products in recent years like the Universal Studios park and Mario movie. It would also shore up Nintendo as the home of JRPGs which would have the knock on effect of dragging Atlus and Persona to the table because the Western audience for the genre would barely exist on PlayStation at that point without Final Fantasy.

I also think Square-Enix would benefit tremendously from more technological constraints. Having lower graphical fidelity in S-E games would be a small price to pay for a stable release pipeline, and ideally more frequent releases.

But I think there would be a part of me that would be sad to have S-E go exclusive to any one manufacturer. My hope is that if they do sell off it's to a compatible existing Japanese publisher (Capcom maybe?), some alternative entity like Kadokawa, or a holding company and they remain 3rd party. Ideally, the company is broken apart with the various arms ending up in different hands but that seems more complicated to arrange.

But I do think if they go to Sony it's going to worse than if they went to Nintendo.
I’m pretty sure Final Fantasy XV got pretty close to its goal of ten million sales across platforms. Not sure if it ever did cross it or not.

I'm going full weeb and getting ramen today AMA

Now I want Square Enix Play Arts to take over amiibo business...
That sound you hear is all the Xenoblade and Fire Emblem fans wallets crying

I’m pretty sure Final Fantasy XV got pretty close to its goal of ten million sales across platforms. Not sure if it ever did cross it or not.
I'm pretty sure you're right, but that's kinda the point. Can the games still be profitable locked to a single console with a late PC port?

Waking up to this nonsense...fuck, there's not much I can offer except my condolences to the people of America. My heart breaks for those that will be impacted by this the most.

Whatever it takes to keep Roe v Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom