• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely do think a Switch Pro (not 2) does make a lot of sense. I think Jeff Grubb is right: the Switch IS selling a lot and you'd be silly to replace it, but at the same time, concepts like "4k" and "hdr" and "framerate" and "digital foundry" are becoming more and more well known, and even people who aren't extremely wired-in to game stuff can see that the Switch hardware as it currently exists is struggling. The system HAS games that people clearly want to play, but no one is buying a Switch thinking they're getting the most premium, state-of-the-art video game experience.

Like, frankly: the Switch launched with an extremely high-profile game (BOTW) that struggled in certain places due to the hardware. That was 5 years ago. The fact that we haven't gotten a more powerful model yet is pretty shocking.

B831493-A-05-EA-4762-B8-E4-17-D8-E88-DB866.jpg

Find it hilarious that they list Earthbound Beginnings as a 2015 release
Wii U is a retro console

Yep. You don't fabricate reports from 11 different sources.

Either it's coming within ~14 months or it was cancelled. But I have no doubt that 4k devkits existed.
It would be nutso-bonkers if a Nintendo console in 2022 were to be outright cancelled.

I agree.

But if it doesn't materialize that's the only reasonable explanation. Wouldn't be the first time.

Man i dunno, i don't think they can coast on the current versions for more than the next upcoming FY. At one point you gotta accept that even your internal studios start to struggle too much and need better tools and performance to work with.

I do genuinely think BOTW2 would be the perfect launch-alongside game for a higher-powered Switch model. I think it would be the perfect logical explanation for why that game has taken this long to release. Like, they announced it at the end of an already PACKED E3 conference in 2019, where they REALLY didn't need to... my guess is that they realized that it would be perfect for this higher-powered console they're whipping up so they decided to hold it until that was ready to really show off what their new Professional Switch can do

I do genuinely think BOTW2 would be the perfect launch-alongside game for a higher-powered Switch model. I think it would be the perfect logical explanation for why that game has taken this long to release. Like, they announced it at the end of an already PACKED E3 conference in 2019, where they REALLY didn't need to... my guess is that they realized that it would be perfect for this higher-powered console they're whipping up so they decided to hold it until that was ready to really show off what their new Professional Switch can do

I'm gonna say that Xenoblade 3 would also fit that, and it launching close to BotW2 potentially in Nov is still "close" enough.

I'm gonna say that Xenoblade 3 would also fit that, and it launching close to BotW2 potentially in Nov is still "close" enough.
Yeah I agree! I believe @NateDrake said XB3 was having optimization issues, which probably would be fixed if there was a beefier unit it launched alongside. I mean, XB3 is a niche game with a dedicated audience. That dedicated audience would probably be the least upset at the idea of needing to buy a new piece of hardware to get the best possible version of their niche JRPG game. Not that the base Switch would be unplayable or anything but that dynamic resolution scaling would definitely be more noticeable.

Man i dunno, i don't think they can coast on the current versions for more than the next upcoming FY. At one point you gotta accept that even your internal studios start to struggle too much and need better tools and performance to work with.
Eh, I think they could if they really needed to.

But I agree that they probably don't want to. The current semiconductor climate is full of unknowns though.
4K Switch Pro only makes sense if Nintendo wants to extend Switch lifespan to 2026/2027
Exactly. Which they probably want to do.

Local Best Buy sells out on all but one single Switch Lite

Famiboards poster:
emerging-entrance.gif

"You see! This proves Nintendo needs to release new hardware now! 4K Switch Pro must come out this year or else Nintendo is done for!"

Famiboards poster:
emerging-entrance.gif

"You see! This proves Nintendo needs to release new hardware now! 4K Switch Pro must come out this year or else Nintendo is done for!"
its most likely stock not demand issue no one is arguing on that , but even if switch was 1 in January NPD I still believe in a new SKU this year
In Bloomberg we trust.

and if the SKU is canned we will know By now.

Could a Dock that does all the DLSS stuff be the next thing and not an entire console? With the hardware shortages and all.

From my limited technical knowledge of this and the stuff i think to remember from lurking the Hardware Speculation threads, DLSS is something that would need to be done in the actual system and not from an "outside" part / source.

Fuck - I just realised that I haven't even finished the first area of Pokemon Legends yet and Horizon 2 is out next week

And Elden Ring is out the week after that!

Can someone please slow down time or something - this is too much

Fuck - I just realised that I haven't even finished the first area of Pokemon Legends yet and Horizon 2 is out next week

You don't need to buy/play games as they come out!

I'm not letting you slow time now that Elden Ring is only 2 weeks away. I've waited enough. ._.

So how do you guys feel about the slight controversy about how the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC might just be the tour maps put into the game? Do you guys find that bad? Or do you not really care? I'm interested in the general opinion here.
Aesthetically, the courses from MKT are cool and, if they’re fleshed out, could serve as really interesting MK8 courses. My issue is that they’re mobile courses; shorter with only 2 laps. They need to be significantly retooled. That one course just looked like the mobile game with MK8D’s lighting engine put on it.

I do wonder if Nintendo has considered/would consider making a Dock that has the equivalent to one of those "M-Cable" things built in that softens some of the jagged edges?
Nintendo would have to get over their fear of anti-aliasing first lol

Jokes aside I doubt Nintendo would do a solution like that. Idk, just feels like it might be too 'complicated' an upgrade for general audiences in the way, say, a "Switch 4K" wouldn't be.
You don't need to buy/play games as they come out!
But I do need to! :mad:

...you're right. But I make the same mistakes time and again because the hype always overtakes me lol

4K Switch Pro only makes sense if Nintendo wants to extend Switch lifespan to 2026/2027
Well, with BotW2 in 2022 and a 3D Mario seemingly likely in Mario movie theatrical or home release window 2022/2023... doesn't 2026/2027 ring true for new hardware anyway? I can't see another all new 3D Zelda or Mario releasing before then anyway.

(Not to say that's the only factor in a new hardware launch... but yea, you'd want your star IP close to the launch - and the Switch launch is something worth mirroring I'd say!)

I mainly believe in the Switch 2 Pro Plus because they can't delay this damn thing indefinitely and there's been too much smoke for it to not exist in some form.

I do wonder if Nintendo has considered/would consider making a Dock that has the equivalent to one of those "M-Cable" things built in that softens some of the jagged edges?

They wouldn't advertise something like that as an upgrade and I'm not sure if it'd just unnecessarily drive up costs for the dock.

I'm not letting you slow time now that Elden Ring is only 2 weeks away. I've waited enough. ._.
Hey - it's not my fault that Horizon 2 is in the exact same situation the first game was in back in 2017 :p

(Where it released a week before the first big open-world entry in an incredibly popular action RPG franchise)

Pro makes even more sense if we think about upcoming lineup. In 2022 and 2023 we will have DK, Botw 2, M+R, Splatoon 3, Kirby, Fe games, MP1 and 4, FE games, Bayo, Xenoblade, Odyssey 2, Star Fox, new IP... They are making it look like we are at the beginning of Switch lifespan and that they try to sell new system.

Oooof Live A Live is $50... I was thinking of biting if it was $20 or maybe even $30...
I've lost track of how many times I've cursed at SE this week...!! I love them really.

How many more own goals can they score though, and still win the match?

I picked Live A Live as my favorite announcement purely because I never expected they would ever release it outside of Japan. Plus points for being a 2D HD remake.

Famiboards poster:
emerging-entrance.gif

I did a search last night because I was mildly interested in getting a Lite for on the side, One retailer had Coral. I think another had Yellow. For the most part though, they were all sold out. Pretty crazy.

It's a full on remake of a never before released in the west game. I think them asking for 50 bucks is totally fine in this one case.

Is Live A Live digital only? ÂŁ39.99 in the UK. If there's a physical release, it should be possible to get it for ÂŁ32 to ÂŁ35.

$50 for Live A Live doesn't sound unreasonable. It's a remake of the game. Not just a straight port so I wasn't expecting it to cost the same as your typical Square HD remaster.

It's a full on remake of a never before released in the west game. I think them asking for 50 bucks is totally fine in this one case.
Yeah there's some inherent bias in my mind I guess when it comes to older games, regardless of whether it's a remake.

Now, I'd probably pay $60 for DQ3 HD without hesitation. This is because I'm a crazy person.

After sitting on the Direct for a few days I’m really happy with it! Lots of cool announcements that feel like firsts; Live A Live, Chrono Cross, Klonoa PS1 games are remastered, Front Mission, etc.

Xenoblade 3’s announcement needed some time to really settle as a bombshell announcement. I think I’m just a little burnt out on RPGs. Most Directs are RPG heavy but this thankfully had good enough variety. But that game will be huge. And idk another studio as efficient as Monolith.

After sitting on the Direct for a few days I’m really happy with it! Lots of cool announcements that feel like firsts; Live A Live, Chrono Cross, Klonoa PS1 games are remastered, Front Mission, etc.
I’ve said it before but it’s amusing to me all these games “coming home”. It really shows how much of the PS1 3rd party catalog was built on the bones of the SNES.

God the BOTW OST is so good. It really makes you appreciate just how much music is actually in the game, which is something I forget from time to time.

People are going to turn rabid if/when it turns out that the best way to experience the BOTW sequel they've been hyped for for years is with a new Pro model that costs a significant chunk of change and is probably going to be in limited stock for quite a while and subject to scalping.

It's me, I'm people.

I don't really do refresh/upgrade hardware to be honest, I prefer the straight jumps to the next gen and have started just skipping big PS games if I think it's worth waiting to play them in a year or two when I might have a PS5 rather than a near-launch PS4. If a Switch Pro model does show up I hope it means there's a good few years of use for it before an actual successor (or that I can resist temptation until a successor).

See, here's why I personally believe a Switch Pro is ABSOLUTELY, 100% coming out this year.

Here's what's going to happen: at E3 2022, Nintendo is going to end off their E3 Direct with the biggest announcement of ALL TIME: Yakuza 0 is coming to Nintendo Switch and it's available AFTER THE SHOW. This causes absolute mayhem. The stock market explodes. Nintendo's share prices skyrocket. It sells... I would estimate around 50-60 million copies in it's first week? A bit of a conservative estimate but I'm trying to be realistic here. Sega is so happy with the performance that they sell themselves to Nintendo for 10 dollars, and cancel all Sonic games to make Yakuza games instead. Sakurai comes out of retirement to make a brand new Fighters Pass for Smash Ultimate, with all 6 Fighters being from the Yakuza series. Millions and millions of people fall in love with Yakuza 0 and it finally ascends to it's deserved position as the greatest game of all time. People commend it for it's incredibly smooth-feeling action gameplay.

However there is one problem: due to Switch hardware limitations, it's capped at 30 fps. This is an absolute outrage. Nintendo's stock price crashes. Sega cancels all Yakuza games and instead makes shitty Sonic games instead. Nintendo, at the risk of bankruptcy, would NEED to right this incredible evil: they would NEED to produce new hardware that can run it at 60 fps. Therefore: Boom, Switch Pro is announced to have 4K DLSS with 120hz refresh and HDR support, along with ray tracing support and a 40 hours battery life. Again, a conservative estimate but I'm trying to be realistic. It is due out in October for $299 US and the first game it supports will be Yakuza 0.

Find a single issue with this theory I dare you.

People are going to turn rabid if/when it turns out that the best way to experience the BOTW sequel they've been hyped for for years is with a new Pro model that costs a significant chunk of change and is probably going to be in limited stock for quite a while and subject to scalping.

It's me, I'm people.

I don't really do refresh/upgrade hardware to be honest, I prefer the straight jumps to the next gen and have started just skipping big PS games if I think it's worth waiting to play them in a year or two when I might have a PS5 rather than a near-launch PS4. If a Switch Pro model does show up I hope it means there's a good few years of use for it before an actual successor (or that I can resist temptation until a successor).
Yeah it's not like a Zelda game has ever been announced for one piece of hardware and then gets delayed and then when it comes out it's released for the original piece of hardware but is also released for a brand new piece of better hardware. That has never happened before.

See, here's why I personally believe a Switch Pro is ABSOLUTELY, 100% coming out this year.

Here's what's going to happen: at E3 2022, Nintendo is going to end off their E3 Direct with the biggest announcement of ALL TIME: Yakuza 0 is coming to Nintendo Switch and it's available AFTER THE SHOW. This causes absolute mayhem. The stock market explodes. Nintendo's share prices skyrocket. It sells... I would estimate around 50-60 million copies in it's first week? A bit of a conservative estimate but I'm trying to be realistic here. Sega is so happy with the performance that they sell themselves to Nintendo for 10 dollars, and cancel all Sonic games to make Yakuza games instead. Sakurai comes out of retirement to make a brand new Fighters Pass for Smash Ultimate, with all 6 Fighters being from the Yakuza series. Millions and millions of people fall in love with Yakuza 0 and it finally ascends to it's deserved position as the greatest game of all time. People commend it for it's incredibly smooth-feeling action gameplay.

However there is one problem: due to Switch hardware limitations, it's capped at 30 fps. This is an absolute outrage. Nintendo's stock price crashes. Sega cancels all Yakuza games and instead makes shitty Sonic games instead. Nintendo, at the risk of bankruptcy, would NEED to right this incredible evil: they would NEED to produce new hardware that can run it at 60 fps. Therefore: Boom, Switch Pro is announced to have 4K DLSS with 120hz refresh and HDR support, along with ray tracing support and a 40 hours battery life. Again, a conservative estimate but I'm trying to be realistic. It is due out in October for $299 US and the first game it supports will be Yakuza 0.

I can find one big glaring issue-

Nintendo's stock price would never skyrocket based on them selling a ton of hardware and software. Their investors are not that logical.

Nanomachines.

Always work as an issue!

You didn't consider Nagoshi convincing NetEase to buy Nintendo to prevent Yakuza games from appearing on the Switch. Rookie mistake.

Yeah it's not like a Zelda game has ever been announced for one piece of hardware and then gets delayed and then when it comes out it's released for the original piece of hardware but is also released for a brand new piece of better hardware. That has never happened before.
This seems weirdly aggressive. That was also a generational jump to a new library which I said I was more comfortable with in terms of buying hardware. In that instance, I also did what I said I'd do here and held off on playing the game until I was ready to get the newer hardware rather than drag out the WiiU again.

Literally all I was saying was that my personal choices in terms of purchasing games and hardware means I'll probably hold off on something like BOTW2 if playing it on current hardware means I'm not getting it as intended. Let me go back to lurking, jesus.

And then some the shop jobs below it are amazing (and frightening). Nintendo Twitter comments are disturbing sometimes. Particularly like this one:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom