• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...anybody here ever have twins?

My wife is due in May and I'm just feeling like my gaming time is going to vanish. I know I'll still have some time when the babies are sleeping but yeah...I've been grappling with that recently. Any tips from people who have had twins or just newborns in general? My days of online multiplayer are probably done and some of the longer games that I love, like Zelda, are starting to look pretty daunting because of how long they're going to take for me to play.
I can’t comment on twins, but I managed to play plenty during the first 3 months both of my children were born. They would fall asleep on me a lot so I had plenty of time with the PS4 and then Switch with my second.

But yes, overall, you’ll play a lot less during the first 12-18 months, and you’ll be very thankful for your Switch.

My wife is due in May and I'm just feeling like my gaming time is going to vanish. I know I'll still have some time when the babies are sleeping but yeah...I've been grappling with that recently. Any tips from people who have had twins or just newborns in general? My days of online multiplayer are probably done and some of the longer games that I love, like Zelda, are starting to look pretty daunting because of how long they're going to take for me to play.
It depends on the age.

When they are just born, it is actually fairly easy to squeeze in play sessions. Sometimes you are just sitting there holding the baby for 30-45 minutes, so you need something to do with your hands. When they get older, keep them on a set schedule and you'll have the evening to play provided they are a good sleeper. After my son turned 6 months old, he went to bed at 6 PM every night and slept through the night, so I usually had at least 8-9 PM to play games. Of course, some children won't work out like that, but hopefully with perseverance yours will be!

I can't speak to twins personally, but I do have a close friend who had twins two years ago and he plays more games than I do. I think he squeezes in a lot of portable play on breaks at work, but I know that he typically has the nighttime block to play.

In short: Work hard to get your kids sleeping at consistent times and you'll be able to keep your hobby. It may be rough at times, but I assure you that you'll still get to do the things you love. Just a little bit less than you are used to.

Not had twins but newborns sleep a lot. Sometimes in a position on you in which you can hold a controller or handheld.

I have a 9 month old now (and a 4 year old) and I still get some mobile gaming time while I'm rocking the former back to sleep at night. Newborns don't really notice games or screens especially if they're sleeping, so there's time.

Reached the part of Dark Souls 3 I've never played before so I am completely lost. In the Profaned Capital now and fighting Yhorn who is kicking my butt!
Isn't he the one that has that really really major weakness that the game explicitly tells you to exploit? Or am I thinking of someone else?

So nervous!! Gonna go on my first job interview in 2 years, as a store clerk in a store that sells gaming rigs. They took an interest in me because games are my number 1 hobby and passion, but I know shockingly little about actual gaming rigs.

I was wondering were is Brandon from easy allies the past 2 weeks.
but thank god his son is getting better. hope for full recovery

So nervous!! Gonna go on my first job interview in 2 years, as a store clerk in a store that sells gaming rigs. They took an interest in me because games are my number 1 hobby and passion, but I know shockingly little about actual gaming rigs.
Just remember to hydrate yourself, breathe in and out and speak slowly. You can do it :)

I feel like, if Triangle Strategy's balance stays so heavily weighted on story and cut scenes for the rest of the game's length, it's going to be a divisive one for reviewers.

There's good stuff here, but the bulk of my 3 hours with the demo so far have been dialogue scenes. If that's reflective of the rest of the game (and sure, it absolutely might not be), then I can see this turning off some reviewers.
Someone, I forget who, was already tweeting they had a review dropping this week which they expected to be divisive.

Also I think people forget how dialogue heavy FF Tactics was. And TS is drawing heavily on Matsuno’s style so I think it goes with the territory. Whether that jives with modern sensibilities some 25ish years later is going to be interesting to see.

Someone, I forget who, was already tweeting they had a review dropping this week which they expected to be divisive.

Also I think people forget how dialogue heavy FF Tactics was. And TS is drawing heavily on Matsuno’s style so I think it goes with the territory. Whether that jives with modern sensibilities some 25ish years later is going to be interesting to see.
Yeah reviews for this one are going to be interesting, I'm pretty unsure about how they'll turn out. Regardless, I did like the demo a lot so I'm probably going to grab it either way

Don't you start now mister

Ex-Aid is great, I'm not quite as high on it as some folks but it's in my top 5 I would say. Zero-One is pretty solid and has cool suits but the middle part sags and the show tends to feel like a remix of previous Rider seasons' story beats. Revice has been getting really good, lots of plot twists and the best female Rider in the franchise by a mile.

But yeah, I knew for years shows like Wizard and Ghost had a bad reputation. I don't intend to watch everything, just the more interesting/better shows. I'll probably transition to watching more Sentai as I've seen less of that than Rider.

Drive is bad! I'll say it forever!

Ex-Aid I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of and I just didn't have it in me to keep going. It's probably good, it has a lot of fans I know, and someday I WILL get to it, but my initial impression is not great.

Wizard has a strong cast but the show's central narrative hook was hamstrung by the female lead's pop idol group becoming extremely popular extremely quickly and her suddenly not being able to be around to shoot the show.

Ghost is a show that I could not get more than 12 episodes into. Unlike Ex-Aid where I didn't hate it and I'll get back to it someday, Ghost was a miserable show that I do not understand how anyone liked. I'd rather watch Drive again.

I've seen Zyuranger and Dairanger and I know this will break your heart but I wasn't a huge fan of either of them

upload.png

I've been considering checking out Kakuranger but I know Ohranger was impacted by the sarin gas attacks so that lessens it somewhat for me.

My favorite Sentai that I've seen are definitely Gokaiger and Timeranger. Kobayashi is probably the most consistent toku writer in my experience.

II'll just say, point blank, if you didn't like Zyuranger or Dairanger you won't like Kakuranger. Just watch the clip of the guy saying "today is Friday in California" and you'll be okay.

A lot of people think "Ohranger > Terrorist Attack > Show bad" but I genuinely have no idea where that even came from. I mean, I know about the real-world event but there's zero evidence Ohranger really changed tone a few episodes in like a lot of people claim, and frankly Ohranger is waaaay better than it gets credit for. It's got some problems and while I wouldn't say it's as polished or objectively incredible as the Zyuranger/Dairanger/Kakuranger trilogy, it DOES have an interesting charm that sets it apart.

If you liked Faiz and Blade, you should watch Jetman.

Kobayashi is a genuine treasure and one of the absolute best to ever do it.

oh my god march is TOMORROW???

I guess one could say time............... marches on

Great thread, Dardan, except all the times you said anything negative about the Yakuza franchise including comparing it wrongly to anime.

Hello all! I hope everyone's doing well. I took a break from social media when Legends Arceus started leaking to play through the game, but put off Nintendo-specific forums until I was fully done with the game, so it's been... About 5 weeks! Legends is my favorite Pokemon game since B2/W2 and would be in like my A-tier in a tier list. Lots of Nintendo news since, very excited for Xenoblade 3 and Mario Strikers!

Excited to join you all in the March thread! o7

oh my god march is TOMORROW???

I guess one could say time............... marches on

Great thread, Dardan, except all the times you said anything negative about the Yakuza franchise including comparing it wrongly to anime.
I was probably my most active in this thread based on my replies

At least I get paid Thursday so there’s that

If it wasn’t too sure on my thread making skills, I would have volunteered for the March thread, just not sure right now.

I do like to do one ST one day

Nintendo should make an Elite Controller
I want Elite Joycons first.

I have the Hori d-pad joycon, but fuck, it sucks. It does the job? But no rumble, motion, nothing!

Want Elite Joy-Cons with d-pad and face buttons as big as the Pro Controller. I want the Elite Joy-Con to say, fuck the joy, this is mine and mine alone.

Dread-Cons.

I want Elite Joycons first.

I have the Hori d-pad joycon, but fuck, it sucks. It does the job? But no rumble, motion, nothing!

Want Elite Joy-Cons with d-pad and face buttons as big as the Pro Controller. I want the Elite Joy-Con to say, fuck the joy, this is mine and mine alone.

Dread-Cons.
We've got the Split Pad Pro over here and it's nice but it not having gyro, rumble, etc is a disappointment.

What I want is an Xbox Elite Controller but for Switch. Maybe it could even split in half and become Joy-Cons, which would frankly be dope as hell

I think I've figured out why From Software games like Elden Ring and Dark Souls don't appeal to me: they are Anti-Sega games. They are the opposite of Sega games.
So that's why they're so good.

Edit: need to clarify this is a joke before it's taken too seriously, I need to learn to wait before hitting submit 😅 .

Last edited:
Drive is bad! I'll say it forever!

Ex-Aid I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of and I just didn't have it in me to keep going. It's probably good, it has a lot of fans I know, and someday I WILL get to it, but my initial impression is not great.

Wizard has a strong cast but the show's central narrative hook was hamstrung by the female lead's pop idol group becoming extremely popular extremely quickly and her suddenly not being able to be around to shoot the show.

Ghost is a show that I could not get more than 12 episodes into. Unlike Ex-Aid where I didn't hate it and I'll get back to it someday, Ghost was a miserable show that I do not understand how anyone liked. I'd rather watch Drive again.

upload.png

II'll just say, point blank, if you didn't like Zyuranger or Dairanger you won't like Kakuranger. Just watch the clip of the guy saying "today is Friday in California" and you'll be okay.

A lot of people think "Ohranger > Terrorist Attack > Show bad" but I genuinely have no idea where that even came from. I mean, I know about the real-world event but there's zero evidence Ohranger really changed tone a few episodes in like a lot of people claim, and frankly Ohranger is waaaay better than it gets credit for. It's got some problems and while I wouldn't say it's as polished or objectively incredible as the Zyuranger/Dairanger/Kakuranger trilogy, it DOES have an interesting charm that sets it apart.

If you liked Faiz and Blade, you should watch Jetman.

Kobayashi is a genuine treasure and one of the absolute best to ever do it.
I’ve already seen Jetman! It’s Inoue’s best work. I’ve seen Jetman, Zyuranger, Dairanger, Timeranger, Gokaiger, TQG, and Dekaranger.

Idk the full context of the Ohranger claim but that’s the story I hear, I’ll bug one of the bigger toku nerds I know to get the full story.

Anyway I didn’t DISLIKE Zyuranger and Dairanger but I just didn’t vibe with them much, firmly in the OK territory with some highlights (plus you’re probably the first person I’ve seen to lavish praise on Zyuranger, outside of the MMPR connection and the Green Ranger storyline most fans seem generally so-so on it).

Idk the full context of the Ohranger claim but that’s the story I hear, I’ll bug one of the bigger toku nerds I know to get the full story.
Nah, I know the Ohranger claim, it's been repeated in the toku fandom for well over a decade. I remember when I was first getting into toku, people who, and I need to stress this, had not seen Ohranger would always tell me "dude don't watch ohranger, they had to change it because of the terrorist attack and therefore it's bad."

I've seen it twice! It's really good! It does not fundamentally change tonally any more than any Sentai does over it's run. Yes it starts being "serious" and yes it DOES become lighthearted as it goes on but that can be said for a lot of Sentai, especially of that era. It is not unique, special or more importantly bad because of this. In fact I'd even argue there are some LATER episodes of Ohranger that are significantly darker than anything in the first dozen episodes. So any claims they needed to lighten it up are baseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom