• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played any Pokémon game(IIRC I tried one of the GBA or GB games but never really got anywhere), but I have both Brilliant Diamond and Arceus here(a previous owner bought both on pre order to my luck lol). I'm downloading Arceus just to have the feeling of playing a new game that everyone's playing, maybe I'll play online too. Is it a good showcase for beginners? Sounds like an over all good game. I loved Breath of the Wild. And I love Persona 5, so maybe I will like exploration with monster collection lol. If it has a good story I'll love it. Not a Pokémon fan myself, but I'll get into it.

Yeah, it sounds like you're gonna have a blast. The game is perfect for first timers, it doesn't really depend on previous knowledge (tbf none of the Pokémon games do, unless you want to get into competitive but Arceus doesn't have that) as most of its systems and gameplay are entirely new. It's also the first time in a good while the franchise doesn't seem to be mainly targeting kids, and it's not handholdy, linear or mindlessly easy as most games have been recently.

The game is basically the second coming of Christ as in it finally brought the fan base together, and people who aren't familiar with Pokemon might get hooked by the exploration/monster collecting. Pokémon's biggest asset are the creatures themselves and they really shine in Arceus.

You can try BDSP after you finish it, if you want to check how the main series play, but, as much as I love classic Pokemon and gen 4, I think you will find it hard to go back. Arceus makes everything very snappy and streamlined, and even if the core gameplay of classic Pokemon is great, it needs a lot of QoL Arceus introduced. As far as classic Pokemon goes though, gen 4 (BDSP) is one of the best offerings.

Last edited:
people are complaining about Elden Ring’s performance?

uh… I’m on PS4 and I’m like “wow yeah great neat” so like… what… are… why do people who… maybe… you know what I don’t think there’s anything to say. just… just faces to make.

uh… I’m on PS4 and I’m like “wow yeah great neat” so like… what… are… why do people who… maybe… you know what I don’t think there’s anything to say. just… just faces to make.
apparently there are problems on Windows regardless of hardware capability

There's a whole meltdown going on lol

I'm so glad I can still have fun playing videogames, I love this hobby, must be shitty to lose it to that.

also glad I waited on the Steam Deck because a solid 50% of why I wanted it was to play the Portal games since I figured they would never come to Switch

but now that they’re coming to Switch I dodged an expensive mistake for my specific tastes and needs

The discussion around performance in games has become so hyperbolic online that I'm finding it difficult to take people's words at face value. Like if they see one single frame drop, they'll run to the message boards to say how unplayable the game is. The discourse itself I think is also convincing people to see problems they otherwise wouldn't have noticed if not for the influence of people online.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss performance issues in games. But if someone gets a papercut, I'm probably not going to listen to their story how it means they need to go to hospital and on the verge of death.

Been watching steam deck gameplay and man...that fan is kinda loud which is a deal breaker for me :/

Still...seeing it play Nier, Tales, MHW and all those Jrpgs the Switch won't get makes it so appealing. Then again, apparently Valve is sending like 5k Decks for the first wave? And I placed an order at the end of October meaning I might get it by the time Deck 2 is announced lol.

ah, gotcha

huh

I had just seen a few comments about it being “unplayable” on PS4 and… I literally don’t know what anyone’s talking about
That's ... weird. I've only seen comments about stuff like that for PC or even next-gen. The PS4 version is, the best performing version of the game along with Series X I'm pretty sure? ... Odd haha. People are weird!

Gamers, they make the stereotype of the 90s comic fan seem pedestrian.
I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss performance issues in games. But if someone gets a papercut, I'm probably not going to listen to their story how it means they need to go to hospital and on the verge of death.
It's funny you say that because I have a younger cousin who used to bawl her eyes out and say she was "very hurt" if she so much as got a scratch. Now I'm imagining people acting the same way behind their computer monitors.

Hunh wonder if the MM tweet(and by extension next months n64 NSO game reveal) will go up tonight or if they’ll wait till Monday due to international going ons

Every time I go back to N64 games, I realize that growing up we didn't give a crap about framerate and performance. We played the games and had fun doing it!

I'm so glad I still have that mindset today.

I remember when some people complained that Doom Eternal didn’t hit 120fps in their devices and im just sitting there with my sweet 30fps
By the time I had gotten it on switch, I already had a ps5 and could have easily played it on that. Switch was my desired place to play it

Though I am curious how it will play on the steam deck

I love checking a thread and the last post was posted like 3 minutes ago and it just says "Edit: Nevermind"

it's basically the forum equivalent to a suspicious person whistling to feign nonchalance
lmao me on Era when we first made the transition

embarrassingly more than one time I googled for an OT and dropped my thoughts in it via muscle memory before realizing I did not live there anymore

FYI, no one has claimed the Kirby ST yet. Someone should do it!
Hmm. I finished most of the text for the Mario Kart ST, and I did one of the graphics I was planning (still trying to decide the proper balance between graphics and straight up text, for readability and accessibility concerns - anyone have thoughts on that? A mix of text and choice graphics? A mostly graphics ST with a text version on the next post?) I could potentially take it on, but I also don't wanna hog both of the big March 2022 Nintendo ST's if people want to take a shot at Kirby.

@Skittzo

1496161880-simspons-gif.gif

I swear I don’t know how the Simpson’s do it

Hmm. I finished most of the text for the Mario Kart ST, and I did one of the graphics I was planning (still trying to decide the proper balance between graphics and straight up text, for readability and accessibility concerns - anyone have thoughts on that? A mix of text and choice graphics? A mostly graphics ST with a text version on the next post?) I could potentially take it on, but I also don't wanna hog both of the big March 2022 Nintendo ST's if people want to take a shot at Kirby.
It's almost March and I don't believe anyone has reserved it, so I'd say you should go for it if you want to do it. STs can and should be collaborative anyway, so if someone else expresses interest and you wanted to let them do it you could still help out

In terms of the bolded, I like a mix of text and graphics but it's your ST. Hopefully others will give input about the readability/accessibility question though

The refurbished 2DS XL I ordered from Nintendo arrived, today (also got the Switch card case). It'll make my E4 run in Pokémon X L...uhhh...arger!

It's time to jump up in the air (Jump up in the air)
Jump up, don't be scared (Jump up, don't be scared)
Jump up and your cares will soar away

Oh i miss Mario Odyssey

Yeah the discourse on game performance has definitely become quite toxic.
"30fps? Unplayable slideshow"
"OMG it occasionally drops a few frames, game is trash"
"1080p is blurry eye cancer"
The hilarious part is when they complain only after Digital Foundry or VG Tech give them the specs.

Every game with jumping is obviously a ripoff of Mario. Why doesn’t Nintendo sue these companies?
I wish every game with jumping was a Mario ripoff but it’s incredible how many 3D games fuck up jump mechanics. Or just movement in general.
It's time to jump up in the air (Jump up in the air)
Jump up, don't be scared (Jump up, don't be scared)
Jump up and your cares will soar away

Oh i miss Mario Odyssey
Thanks, now I want to play the best game ever created Mario Odyssey for the fourth time. Even though I’ll never be able to fully experience again the sheer joy I had when I first played the Jump Up, Superstar scene and it makes me kinda sad.

I spend a lot of time here and as many of you can likely recall have suffered for it in the past, so I am always assessing if:
  • I am enjoying that time spent
  • if the time I am spending is mentally and emotionally healthy
  • if I feel connected to the given community
  • if am valuable or directly damaging to the given community

I recently left an off-again on-again community because of points 3 and especially 4. It may seem callous and judgmental to assess my participation in a community this way, but it is simply how I manage my engagement on platforms like this. Famiboards in particular is very intimately community oriented, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone that I am actively considering whether or not it feels like home.
I just wanted to say I mostly read posts rather than post them and your contributions are consistently engaging and enjoyable for me to read. You can see I'm pretty behind on the thread so I'm late as usual to the convo but I just wanted to say that.

My dad adopted a dog he saw get abandon on the busy street where his job is located.

Here’s a picture of him

He’s a big dog and super playful (basically a kid still according to the doctor). But I added this picture cause it’s the first time he’s sat absolutely still. I think he learned what the word “treat” means.

My dad named him Rambo

B0282-CCB-50-DC-484-C-B341-F64497-DB81-E0.png

My dad adopted a dog he saw get abandon on the busy street where his job is located.

Here’s a picture of him

He’s a big dog and super playful (basically a kid still according to the doctor). But I added this picture cause it’s the first time he’s sat absolutely still. I think he learned what the word “treat” means.

My dad named him Rambo

B0282-CCB-50-DC-484-C-B341-F64497-DB81-E0.png
Your dad is an angel and I’m sure Rambo will give him so much love in return. Thanks for the wholesome content, we truly need that right now!

Yeah the discourse on game performance has definitely become quite toxic.
"30fps? Unplayable slideshow"
"OMG it occasionally drops a few frames, game is trash"
"1080p is blurry eye cancer"
The hilarious part is when they complain only after Digital Foundry or VG Tech give them the specs.

What's funny is that DF praised the steam deck for locked 30 fps, 720. Which again is a serviceable way to play games, but suddenly anything less than 4k/60 is bad.

What's funny is that DF praised the steam deck for locked 30 fps, 720. Which again is a serviceable way to play games, but suddenly anything less than 4k/60 is bad.
Meanwhile Nintendo fans are like "OoT and Mario Kart 64 are finally playable on NSO"

Almost the weekend. What we got planned? I will hopefully be sleeping in, playing some games (resisting the urge to upgrade NSO until Mario Kart DLC comes along), and going to the waterfront for some outdoor activities.

Almost the weekend. What we got planned? I will hopefully be sleeping in, playing some games (resisting the urge to upgrade NSO until Mario Kart DLC comes along), and going to the waterfront for some outdoor activities.

Playing Destiny 2 and probably keeping up with the news (and hopefully not going insane).

I just wanted to say I mostly read posts rather than post them and your contributions are consistently engaging and enjoyable for me to read. You can see I'm pretty behind on the thread so I'm late as usual to the convo but I just wanted to say that.
I do appreciate it. I'm sorry to have been so callous in expressing my feelings.

I’ll see if I can finally start horizon forbidden west. Been playing Chrono Trigger most of the week and beaten it yesterday. My copy for horizon arrived a few days after it released as well. Just didn’t feel like playing much today

I do appreciate it. I'm sorry to have been so callous in expressing my feelings.
+1 to you being a top tier poster my furry friend, though I appreciate your transparency in evaluating both sides of the equation – our enjoyment of your posts would mean nothing if they weren't beneficial for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom