• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, after playing with the mClassic for a little bit, I'm very happy with it. Pokemon Legends Arceus got a nice little bump to the point where docked looks as clean as handheld. And Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks fantastic, the fuzziness of it was bugging me and that's basically gone now. I'm really glad I decided to bite the bullet on it.

Edit: @shoptroll I know you wanted to hear my opinion so here you go, haha l.
I'm seriously debating an mClassic when I connect my Switch to a 4KTV. Do you hink it would benefit significantly by also attaching in the appropriate HDMI 2.1 cable, or just a waste of money if it's only upscaling from 1080p anyways?

Tangentially related to video games because of who I found out about it from:

Yall if this retains the original's low and sleek profile (instead of being "reimagined" as a crossover SUV like so many cars now) and is even remotely pretty I am gonna lose my fucking mind.

I imagine you've already seen it but I remember watching the DeLorean reboot episode on Supercar Megabuild through Disney+; the aesthetic changes honestly looked so fucking good but my favourite aspect was the rear of the car

MV5BMTFmMTUyNjAtMWVmZi00NTM4LWJlNGUtN2JlYzE1NDhhNzBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzIyNjQxODE@._V1_.jpg

I've already had my deposit put down on a PHEV Ford Escape and it's not as though I need a DeLorean right now...but good god if it gets the renaissance it so rightfully deserves and is full electric by 2027 with a range of about 600km at minimum at a reasonable price, whew lad

no no no wayyyyy worse

I am glad no one made a joke about the Sportsmates being Mii 2 and supporting them and calling it the Mii 2 movement
You are correct. That was better left unsaid lol.

The Switch Sports avatars look more like Inklings fully turned into Humans rather than Animal Crossing Villagers to me.

On a different note, I think Nintendo should create another hardware pillar. They aren’t doing classic consoles any more (outside the game and watch novelties) but they could make a retro focused hardware that shares some compatibility with the Switch.

When we finally get the Next Switch, they can use the old pipeline to create an actual “Virtual Console”. It will function as the Home Version of the Switch, too, that people have requested, but it will also have a retro store front. All their past systems that have featured on the VC will be supported. Make Wii and Wii U controller’s compatible as well as the NSO retro controllers. It could support NSO for those that have it. And if they were really feeling adventurous they could release special edition systems that are recreations of past console shells. And they could release updated models every new generation, too. The old system becomes retro as the next gen takes over. I think it’s a good way to continue to sell their legacy games and hopefully they could get third parties on this too. The profits would hopefully be enough to continue to support and ongoing legacy storefront.

No shame as it is the best Nintendo console other than switch (when factoring in DS compatibility and virtual console). If you want recommendations, hit you my VC thread. Of course you can ask here an I’ll inundate you with lots of DS/3DS releases (and try not to bankrupt you in the process).

Right now i'm thinking of Kid Icarus Uprising, ALBW (i should probably finish Link's Awakening first..), Fire Emblem Awakening, 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 2... If i start counting VC games, then the list will get even bigger. I saw it in a store window at an affordable price and i just couldn't resist

I feel like I’m slightly less panicked about the current closure than the Wii one simply because we didn’t know what was going to happen with NSO. I think that takes some of the sting out. But it still hurts that a lot of the games in these stores just can’t be emulated on the Switch for various reasons. Or not without users jumping through various hoops or being willing to accept some compromises.

I believe this is going to be the case, on top of the Switch being relatively gimmick-free. There's no double screens to account for, no necessary touch screen stuff, no microphone, etc. They don't need to account for those things going forward.
Right. There’s also nothing stopping them from I dunno releasing a second system in the future which could theoretically bring the DS or Wii U style games back.

I imagine you've already seen it but I remember watching the DeLorean reboot episode on Supercar Megabuild through Disney+; the aesthetic changes honestly looked so fucking good but my favourite aspect was the rear of the car

MV5BMTFmMTUyNjAtMWVmZi00NTM4LWJlNGUtN2JlYzE1NDhhNzBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzIyNjQxODE@._V1_.jpg

I've already had my deposit put down on a PHEV Ford Escape and it's not as though I need a DeLorean right now...but good god if it gets the renaissance it so rightfully deserves and is full electric by 2027 with a range of about 600km at minimum at a reasonable price, whew lad
Okay that backend is clever.

And yeah, I'm a pretty staunch supporter of ICEs in sports cars just for the sound and feel, but a revived DeLorean would be the one car where electric would seem kinda right. 👀

I will never understand why anyone would want to watch Crunchyroll (or Youtube) on Switch, but it’s nice that the option is there and that it further establishes the Switch is for weebs

I will never understand why anyone would want to watch Crunchyroll (or Youtube) on Switch, but it’s nice that the option is there and that it further establishes the Switch is for weebs
With the OLED model, I think the Switch is now a viable option to watch YouTube videos or anime, especially if you don't have an iPad !

share your armchair developer takes in here, fami

I love Nintendo but, damn, I really don't want them to be buying any major publishers like Ubisoft or Square Enix. Hell I don't even really want them buying smaller 'AA' devs like Platinum.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft there's only going to be downgrades if a previously-multiplatform company was made Nintendo exclusive. The games themselves will have to be kept one generation behind technically, there will be no chance of their games getting PC/PS/XB releases, and there's no Game Pass alternative to make the deal sweeter for consumers like me.

I'm seriously debating an mClassic when I connect my Switch to a 4KTV. Do you hink it would benefit significantly by also attaching in the appropriate HDMI 2.1 cable, or just a waste of money if it's only upscaling from 1080p anyways?
I'm gonna be honest, I'm absolutely not the person to ask that question. 😅 Very rarely do I even care that much about a game's resolution, XBC2 just happened to be egregious enough to push me towards a purchase (and honestly I probably would have been fine without it but hey, gotta spend my tax return on something).

I also don't have a 4K TV so I couldn't really say for that reason too.

Funny how Ubisoft fought tooth and nail to keep their independence from Vivendi and now they're probably the next Western third party in line. But then again, they've made so proper duff decisions recently with the NFT grift and a laser like focus on GAAS titles, so what were they expecting?

Nintendo ain't going anywhere near Ubisoft. As for the others...dunno actually. Could be a big bidding war between Sony, Microsoft and maybe event Tencent and Amazon.

I love Nintendo but, damn, I really don't want them to be buying any major publishers like Ubisoft or Square Enix. Hell I don't even really want them buying smaller 'AA' devs like Platinum.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft there's only going to be downgrades if a previously-multiplatform company was made Nintendo exclusive. The games themselves will have to be kept one generation behind technically, there will be no chance of their games getting PC/PS/XB releases, and there's no Game Pass alternative to make the deal sweeter for consumers like me.
One generation behind technically, one generation ahead gameplay wise.

I'll take it

Only problem in part 2, is that even though the combat is more engaging. It takes a long time to click before it gets really love. I love XC1 combat a bit more since it's more straightforward.
I put a higher priority on how fun it is rather than how long it takes to learn when deciding which is my favorite
Since 2's combat is more fun, I love it more

Funny how Ubisoft fought tooth and nail to keep their independence from Vivendi and now they're probably the next Western third party in line. But then again, they've made so proper duff decisions recently with the NFT grift and a laser like focus on GAAS titles, so what were they expecting?

Nintendo ain't going anywhere near Ubisoft. As for the others...dunno actually. Could be a big bidding war between Sony, Microsoft and maybe event Tencent and Amazon.
Maybe Nintendo can take the Milan team and develop a new Mario + Rabbids team (minus Rabbids lol)

Splatoon 3 was announced 1 year ago, where did the time go lol. This trailer is just epic, the opening with character creation and everything. Also this was not leaked or anything, so seeing it was a big surprise.

Last edited:
This thread from someone with some experience might be relevant to the conversation:

Though I agree the loss of the VC sucks and I wish Nintendo would give us both options: NSO and VC on Switch. With NSO they're trying to set each game up with online play and stuff that I don't care about (which seems to be their excuse for not just dumping the VC as-is onto Switch), but I think having just the regular VC versions would be great as a separate, purchasable option.

Always thought ppl would understand this. Guess not...

See it this way: Less games to buy that you'll never play anyway.

I put a higher priority on how fun it is rather than how long it takes to learn when deciding which is my favorite
Since 2's combat is more fun, I love it more
Understandable, it's just that some folks can't wait that long lol. From the moment, I see homeboy can cancel his attacks and make it faster by moving, I was willing to wait. My reaction was "shieeeet, I found some goddamn hidden tech already?". Xenoblade is one of those games exploiting the systems gives us more freedom and I love it.

Understandable, it's just that some folks can't wait that long lol. From the moment, I see homeboy can cancel his attacks and make it faster by moving, I was willing to wait. My reaction was "shieeeet, I found some goddamn hidden tech already?". Xenoblade is one of those games exploiting the systems gives us more freedom and I love it.
I can't play 2 anymore without doing that jitter step to constantly reset my auto attack pattern! It's a game changer

This is my favourite GIF use for a while. Superb.
This thread from someone with some experience might be relevant to the conversation:

Though I agree the loss of the VC sucks and I wish Nintendo would give us both options: NSO and VC on Switch. With NSO they're trying to set each game up with online play and stuff that I don't care about (which seems to be their excuse for not just dumping the VC as-is onto Switch), but I think having just the regular VC versions would be great as a separate, purchasable option.

For now the content being subscription only seems to be part of their effort to build the subscription business. Why let people buy the content once, when you can charge repeatedly for access?

My hope is that as the subscription inevitably builds up, expands, and changes, and becomes an established offering, Nintendo then feel able to offer the mixed purchase/subscription model and they allow people to selectively buy games from the NSO library. But I honestly expect we're several years away from that; once there are hundreds of games to choose from, the value proposition would still shift towards subscribing rather than purchasing. It takes time to get there.

It absolutely will not happen, but what if Nintendo did something crazy....

And Nintendo will probably do nothing as usual and they’ll lose another partner (which isn’t so bad with Ubisoft anyways).

Anyways, Ubisoft is garbage, but whoever gets them would hopefully make them a better company.

I’ve been saying over and over Nintendo should get Davide out of that company and open a studio for him. This is most preferred out of all the options.

Last edited:
They can launch all the new idea systems they want, but keep the Switch on the market with iterative successors and shared software libraries across systems where it makes sense to do so.

Iwata said back when they announced NX: in the short term it might mean fewer distinct hardware offerings from Nintendo, but in the long run, it might mean they offer more forms of hardware at once which shared services, software, and operating systems.

PSA: Do not boot up MLB the Show for Switch. Game is running at 15 FPS during outfield play. I threw a pitch and it was a foul ball, and the game was chugging hard man. I hope this is no where near the final polish for the Switch version cause I was looking forward to cross saves with my Xbox gamepass version.

You would hope that if Nintendo stick to their idea of future Nintendo consoles/Switch's all using similar architecture, that they can transfer the E-shop to their new console in one piece and have it cover both Switch and it's successor, kinda like Sony did with PS4 to PS5. What's causing these issues is the older consoles all having their own unique storefronts each eating up their own resources. If going forward we can have one store covering multiple console generation with a nice healthy chunk of backwards compatibility, that in itself would prevent situations like the closing of the Wii U/3DS stores going forward.
And! The fact that the Switch eshop has been, and seems like always will be, on a browser rather than a separate application, means that it can (more?) easily be used as the merchant platform moving forward in perpetuity. The fact also that NSO retro titles can function and be launched from the browser-based eshop/news/NSO "app" probably means that it's the platform for the foreseeable future.

Did it just release like this minute or is Nate's timing just coincidentally lining up with this thread? 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom