• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is that both are pretty ridiculous on Nintendo's part but received disportionate outrage (at least in Nate's eyes). But I think the comparison is kind of flawed because people were actually pretty pissed about the All-Stars thing.
People were giving Nintendo shit for a long time for these decisions. I don’t think I saw anyone saying it was a good thing.

So this to say I agree with you

Okay yall

I went from really loving CrossCode

To having pressure headaches from the puzzles and bosses.

Did Faj'ro Temple just fuckin ruin anyone else? 😵
CrossCode is actually the first game in a very long time I didn't finish because the puzzles became a bit too much for me. I would have liked more breathers between puzzles and battles within the temples.

hard disagree

there were design choices made for the Ring Fit protags
did you see this?

tzWJnVb.jpg

Okay yall

I did the whole thing in one sitting but I nope’d at the boss key puzzle. It wasn’t that complicated, I did it in less than ten minutes the next time I booted up the game but I definitely didn’t feel like engaging with it right after you had another big puzzle before it. The fact that the action parts and the puzzle parts are basically segmented doesn’t help either, I feel like the pacing of the dungeons would have went better even for non-puzzle fans if there was a better balance between the two, if the transition was more seamless. While Zelda is a much easier series you usually don’t feel this type of exhaustion from Zelda dungeons because the fighting isn’t separated from the exploring, sometimes CrossCode dungeons feel like a series of puzzle rooms straight out of dedicated puzzle games and that can easily feel pretty exhausting

Without spoiling I think that despite the next dungeons being shorter they still didn’t really address this pacing issue, especially considering something I won’t mention because it’s content spoilers kinda. Usually in games, when you introduce new mechanics you give the player “quick wins” so they can get familiar with it. Good pacing is usually when you achieve this balance between challenge and releasing tension. CrossCode simply has a pretty unforgiving difficulty curve, the complexity keeps increasing as you progress through the game. It can be a lot to handle but I still mostly enjoyed my time with it, it’s always nice to see games with bother with trying to mix genres, on top of having involving and engaging level design

This is the point where I lowered difficulty for boss battles, I was getting destroyed here.
I completely forgot there was scaleable difficulty!! And the möth boss still kicked my ass, even with difficulty turned down. 😅

A few more deaths later though, and I beat it. Holy hell. And the puzzle speed is scaleable too, which will help. Those puzzles were really beating my head in. Thanks for the tip!!

Got bored of the combat, mostly. It was around 30 hours in
Well. Difficult to say honestly. The xeno community is very divided on which combat they prefer from the 2 games lol.

2 is far more poorly explained but has a richer world to explore. It’s combat is also gets gated for story reasons so it takes about chapter 4 to get to the point where you can think about optimal strategy so in a good way it’s making the combat feel “new”. But in a bad way is like, “yo let me play” lol

To be honest. Xenoblade 2 might be suited better since it does have difficulty modifiers. Unfortunately that’s a DLC add-on.

Btw I'm thoroughly amused by the fact that everyone is in here playing a game so new that it literally isn't even out yet while I'm over here neck-deep in a game that game out in..
* checks * ... 2015??!!

Last edited:
Okay yall

Well, no, which actually kinda confused me

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of video game puzzles (I don't even like them in games like Zelda) but I tended to enjoy them a ton in CrossCode. But it's the part of the game that gets the most complaints so you're definitely not alone

Edit: oh yeah you mentioned this but I did turn down the puzzle speed around this time. That probably contributed to my enjoyment (they should've really make the difficulty settings more apparent, like a notice or something if you die too much or take too long in a puzzle room)

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we gone into every E3 knowing what the holiday game was before E3? Like the game was already announced except for 2020 when E3 was cancelled due to Covid.
Just to add on to @TurtleRock's post - going back a bit further, in 2013 Mario 3D World was announced at E3 and released in November. I understand that's a ways back, though.

Edit: @LukasManak22 beat me to it. 🙂

Not saying people shouldn't be annoyed with the 3DS and Wii U eShops closing but if they were making as much money as Nintendo fans pretend that they are, Nintendo wouldn't be shutting them down. If you were to poll people who are upset about how much money they spend on those stores in the past 4 years, you're get a ton of $0.00s.

Hey, I've got a question for uhhh most of you. As someone who bounced off XenoblaDE, is it worth trying Xenoblade 2? Would I be better waiting for Xenoblade 3? Should I stop trying to like this franchise that likely just isn't for me just because of FOMO what with so many here being so obsessed?
This is perhaps the hardest thing to judge. All I can really do is give you a write-up you didn't really ask for lol.

The combat in 2 is pretty similar to DE when compared to, like, other genres - or even within the genre. You can see how 2 built off the original. Yet compared to each other alone, they play out very differently.

In 2, you need to stay still to actually auto attack (with each weapon/character combo having a unique auto attack combo). Instead of arts charging on a timer, they refill with a set amount of auto attacks. You only have three arts at a given moment instead of DE's 8; each is assigned to one of the four face buttons, with the remaining being mapped to a 'special'. The special is recharged by using arts. Using certain specials (based on the elemental system; each Blade has an assigned element) in sequence makes them stronger and feeds into the chain attack system, which is completely revamped from DE.

You can have three Blades equipped per character; these determine your available arts and specials. Your can switch between your equipped Blades on the fly in battle, effectively giving you access to nine arts - though doing so is on a cooldown timer.

Then there's the cancel system. 'Cancelling' lets you input an action the moment another one executes, cancelling the ending animation (not cancelling the actual action, which is a source of confusion early on). Doing this amplifies the power of the action and charges the special gauge. Pretty much everything can be cancelled or cancelled into; auto attacks (cancelling later moves in an auto attack has a greater effect), arts, specials, even Blade switches. This is why some people say it feels like a rhythm game at times; by the end you're constantly timing every press to feed into another one.

But unfortunately like DE, the combat is very, very slow at the start of the game, and I feel this one is even more egregious. At the beginning, you can only have one Blade, only auto attacks can be cancelled, your arts start fully uncharged each battle, and chain attacks are just straight up locked. These all open up very, very gradually. And like DE, leveling up arts means reducing the cooldowns - so you'll have to wait longer between actually getting to do something in the beginning.

When both are fully opened up, most prefer 2. I don't, however.

One thing I truly miss about Miis getting hidden further in the menus on Switch, is that Wii games loved pulling from your pool of Miis to populate crowds in games. In replaying all of the Mario Kart games I’ve hit the Wii version and I love seeing them in the stands, on posters in the world, and irresponsibly driving cars back and forth on Coconut Mall.

I personally think the combat is way worse in Xenoblade 2 for the main story. Even when everything opens up you are technically doing a lot, but nothing is dynamic really. You go through the same motions every fight.

Go with 2. 1 is boring as hell in combat department compared to 2.

Edit: mainly because how arts palate works. I think I need a third hand to enjoy it. It awkward as hell.

Xenoblade is one of my favorite games but it took me a while for it to really click. I was playing the game at a casual pace at first. Maybe playing an hour here and there. I distinctly remember when it finally clicked. I had just gotten into Satorl Marsh. The new environment was fine. Seemed like a standard swamp level. I was about to shut off the game for the day and then it turned to night. A glow started emanating from the trees. That was the moment. That's when I knew this game as special.

I'm going to echo the "XC2's combat is better" sentiment

Like, it's not even moderately close for me (but I'm a bigger fan of XC2 in general). You're just doing more stuff in XC2, it's a much more active system where the actions are more satisfying to do and build up to more satisfying things.

Tangentially related to video games because of who I found out about it from:

Yall if this retains the original's low and sleek profile (instead of being "reimagined" as a crossover SUV like so many cars now) and is even remotely pretty I am gonna lose my fucking mind.

Xenoblade is one of my favorite games but it took me a while for it to really click. I was playing the game at a casual pace at first. Maybe playing an hour here and there. I distinctly remember when it finally clicked. I had just gotten into Satorl Marsh. The new environment was fine. Seemed like a standard swamp level. I was about to shut off the game for the day and then it turned to night. A glow started emanating from the trees. That was the moment. That's when I knew this game as special.

Oh yeah, that is the shit. I was similar, actually; I got through Gaur Plains and really liked it, but the ether mines and that whole story section I was a bit whatever on. But Satorl at night is just so damn good, I was immediately sucked in and never really let go the rest of the game. It's also a top 5 music track in the entire game for me, maybe top 3. So that helps.

Man I'm reminded of just how much I loved CrossCode. I adjusted enemy difficulty but didn't relinquish on puzzles. I love complicated and interconnected puzzle dungeons like that. Never got around to the DLC though because it didn't come to the Windows store (where I played it) at the same time as Steam, no idea if it ever did even

What do you all do whenever you feel so anxious you feel like you're dying? I hate it
Honestly, when I'm all up in my head with feelings like anxiety, I take a nap. Can't be all up in your head if your unconscious lol. If the feelings persist, honestly, talk to someone about it. Bottling up your feelings is never good.

What do you all do whenever you feel so anxious you feel like you're dying? I hate it
I know there's no magic bullet, but for me, usually breathing exercises, meditation, (video assisted if need be) or intense distraction (gaming is a good one for me) can take the edge off long enough for the adrenaline rush to subside.
When I was a teen I used to have multiple panic attacks every day; now in my early 30s it's more like one every few days. The right medication helped, as well as years of therapy and controlled gradual exposure to my triggers.

As someone with an anxiety disorder, I really do empathize; people who don't experience it often don't realize the sheer physical toll it can take on a person. I'm sorry you're feeling this way, and I hope it passes soon. Go easy on yourself, and good on you for reaching out; that takes courage and you should be proud of yourself.

I’m pretty sure I accidentally willed the Sportsmates into existence. Back on Era I suggested that they could make a new Wii Sports where you play as the villagers from AC. I just didn’t expect Nintendo to yassify them in the process.

I’m pretty sure I accidentally willed the Sportsmates into existence. Back on Era I suggested that they could make a new Wii Sports where you play as the villagers from AC. I just didn’t expect Nintendo to yassify them in the process.

Atone for this sin by using your will power for good things. Like MP 1 Remake and one of those two rumored FE games all being 2022.

I would you ask to use it for BotW 2 but i'm certain that's 2022 no matter. ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom