• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST33 June 2024| Bash at the Beach feat. chocolate_supra

• Thread starter Deleted member 1081
  • Start date
Also, the graphical leap from beginning to end of the Switch has been marvelous to behold.

From a Wii U port with framerate issues to whatever magic is powering Metroid Prime 4.

Also, the graphical leap from beginning to end of the Switch has been marvelous to behold.

From a Wii U port with framerate issues to whatever magic is powering Metroid Prime 4.
Speaking of graphical leaps

what uhhhh

what are we thinking about that there Prime 4 gameplay? 👀

Speaking of graphical leaps

what uhhhh

what are we thinking about that there Prime 4 gameplay? 👀

We're thinking that it's awesome that we have it, that it looks great, that the charge beam animation is on point, that the opening level will be fire, and that while it is not too much of an 'evolution' from past Prime games, don't fix what ain't broke.

We're thinking that it's awesome that we have it, that it looks great, that the charge beam animation is on point, that the opening level will be fire, and that while it is not too much of an 'evolution' from past Prime games, don't fix what ain't broke.
Was about to post the same. Plus we barely saw anything - just likely the tutorial level (the Frigate equivalent) and the very first snippet of arriving at the forest zone.

All the really cool new stuff will come later I would guess - and probably at the Switch 2 showcase (I’m assuming it’s crossgen)

I was more talking about how huge and detailed that jungle area looked while running at 60fps, and was wondering if anyone else thinks the current Switch could, ya know, do that 👀

I was more talking about how huge and detailed that jungle area looked while running at 60fps, and was wondering if anyone else thinks the current Switch could, ya know, do that 👀

Ah.

Maybe? I'm not saying Retro know the Switch hardware as inside-out as Nintendo themselves (which is unlikely) but if the switch can run TotK, it can surely run this. We'll see about the cross-gen stuff, and if there's gonna be a framerate difference between the two generation versions.

For now, I'll just settle on the fact that the game is gorgeous.

Ah.

Maybe? I'm not saying Retro know the Switch hardware as inside-out as Nintendo themselves (which is unlikely) but if the switch can run TotK, it can surely run this. We'll see about the cross-gen stuff, and if there's gonna be a framerate difference between the two generation versions.

For now, I'll just settle on the fact that the game is gorgeous.
I agree it looks fantastic! And yeah, we've seen impossibly gorgeous and huge vistas in BotW/TotK and XB3, but those three games weren't running at near the framerate Prime 4 was. I know I'm probably overspeculating, I just like the idea of Nintendo pulling a sneakysneaky and slipping in some 2witch footage without saying so. 😅

And just to be clear I'm not being negative or anything, not tryina be like "the Switch aint good enough to run that!" I'm just wondering if we maybe just saw something more special than we realized. Because I'm a goober. God I'm so excited for this game.

BTW let the record show I wasn't before!!! I'm not really a Prime fan, I prefer the 2D series! But as soon as Samus landed from that flip and the choir did their thing I just... geez I dunno what happened. I was hooked. Line and sinker.

They did it.

They did it.

just so yall understand what that trailer did to me

I was messaging friends of mine who do not even know Metroid, trying to talk with them about how excited I was. I clipped footage from Super Metroid of the save stations where it plays the "samus appears" music and then put it side-by-side with a clip of the Prime 4 trailer of her emerging from the gunship and the choir doing the new version of that same song, just to illustrate "here's what I was seeing/listening to at ten years old, and here's what Nintendo just did to me this morning."

It was probably cringe, yall!
I'm pretty sure I was cringe!!
This Direct jazzed me up so much that I'm being knowingly cringe!!

@Raccoon for the love of god, please inform me of whether this is all cringe or actually based, I cannot tell on my own

Blown away with the Prime 4 footage.

Do people think we could still see Prime 2 and 3 before Prime 4 releases? I would have thought if they were coming, the direct would have been the time to announce them.

Probably wishful thinking, but maybe they didn't want to cause any confusion with multiple Prime games and will announce them at the next direct.

Thinking about how many games I want over the next 6 months and my wallet is crying lol. Maybe I DO want the Switch 2 to be later than March after all 😅

this may be out of character for me. but I believe it's neither. it simply is. be whoever you are, try not to hurt anyone, be happy and make others happy.
My knee-jerk reaction to that:
CEr1jqu.jpeg

you're good peeps, Racc ❤️

I agree it looks fantastic! And yeah, we've seen impossibly gorgeous and huge vistas in BotW/TotK and XB3, but those three games weren't running at near the framerate Prime 4 was. I know I'm probably overspeculating, I just like the idea of Nintendo pulling a sneakysneaky and slipping in some 2witch footage without saying so. 😅

And just to be clear I'm not being negative or anything, not tryina be like "the Switch aint good enough to run that!" I'm just wondering if we maybe just saw something more special than we realized. Because I'm a goober. God I'm so excited for this game.

BTW let the record show I wasn't before!!! I'm not really a Prime fan, I prefer the 2D series! But as soon as Samus landed from that flip and the choir did their thing I just... geez I dunno what happened. I was hooked. Line and sinker.

They did it.

They did it.
Welcome to the power of Retro

Welcome to the power of Retro
See I knew they were good after Prime Remastered but I thought it was due to the areas being more confined so they didn't need to render as much. But the Prime 4 trailer? Especially the jungle shot at the end? 60fps??

I've been through Austin before, had no idea I was driving through wizard territory.

You know what's kinda funny in yesterday's Direct?

Take games like that Funko Pop one and that Looney Tunes one ... unoptimized, looking rough ... and then put them next to (assuming) Switch footage of Lego Horizon, a Sony Playstation 1st Party game.

How should you feel as a dev if a direct competitor to Nintendo put more care and optimization work into a game that is also released on said competitors system?

It's quite the irony.

You know what's kinda funny in yesterday's Direct?

Take games like that Funko Pop one and that Looney Tunes one ... unoptimized, looking rough ... and then put them next to (assuming) Switch footage of Lego Horizon, a Sony Playstation 1st Party game.

How should you feel as a dev if a direct competitor to Nintendo put more care and optimization work into a game that is also released on said competitors system?

It's quite the irony.
I mean, a well optimised and decent looking game would just be ruined by the Fukno Pops, so I'm assuming it's meant to look like that.

Also, to be fair, Guerilla made both Horizon games run (decently, I believe) on PS4, so they're definitely no strangers to black magic :LOL:

I'm not sure if this is the place to say this or if it's better fit for another thread but something interesting I realized with Nintendo's reveals today is that Echoes of Wisdom, Mario and Luigi, as well as Mario Party all have ESRB ratings!!

Is this another case of Nintendo sitting on these games for the perfect time to release them (especially in terms of the first two)? :)
a this point I just assume all Nintendo developed games smell of Nintendo butt

Thinking about how the next year and a half is going to be as a Nintendo fan.

New 2D Zelda
New 3D Metroid
New Pokémon
New Professor Layton
New Mario & Luigi
New Mario Party
New Civilization
3x Dragon Quest Remakes
etc etc

We could potentially see new 3D Mario, new Mario Kart, new Monolith Soft for 2025 and whatever else unannounced, both for Switch and Switch 2..

It's gonna be a good time.
Hey, anyone knows if Max Dood recovered from dying of happiness seeing that Mahvel vs Capcom Collection? ;D

I laughed out to myself when I saw the announcment - hopefully someone is there to take care of Max lol.
I was not dissapointed when I saw the reaction lol.

absolutely zero shade, but I've been saying for what feels like forever that as soon as Prime 4 gets shown off there will be people thinking "this looks/runs too well to be Switch 1 footage" and they'll be wrong

Retro's games have almost always been 60fps while looking fantastic for their hardware (I think the one exception in their catalog was the 3DS version of DKC Returns being 30fps); I'm fully ready to believe "no really, they're just that good" and we saw pure Switch 1 gameplay in that trailer

Blown away with the Prime 4 footage.

Do people think we could still see Prime 2 and 3 before Prime 4 releases? I would have thought if they were coming, the direct would have been the time to announce them.

Probably wishful thinking, but maybe they didn't want to cause any confusion with multiple Prime games and will announce them at the next direct.
I'm mostly basing this off how they handled Pikmin, and the rumors that Prime 2 and 3 won't get the same level of overhaul as Prime 1, but I think we could see them at either a September direct or maybe even an early 2025 direct depending on when in the year Prime 4 launches

Because I would have thought the time to put out Pikmin 1+2 would have been when Pikmin 4 got announced, but they waited until just a few months before Pikmin 4 came out to shadowdrop them. So I don't think they've necessarily "missed the window" just because Prime 4 got rerevealed

esp. if they're mostly doing upscaled ports for Prime 2/3, I could kinda see them shadowdropping together sometime before Prime 4 launches.

Truly feels like the end of an era to see Prime 4 with a release year. I've felt for years that as long as Prime 4 was out there, the Switch generation couldn't end. This has probably been the longest I've spent with one console, my V1 Switch has seen me through a lot of life shit, and it's weird to feel like there's some sort of finish line finally being drawn in front of us.

Honestly, now that I've had time to digest it and come down off the excitement, it feels almost bittersweet. I almost don't wanna let this generation go. 😅
I get what you're saying.. but I expect to update this list long after the Switch 2 comes out ;P

The Switch will be replaced as the main platform soon, of course, but support of 1st Party games, even if minor, are probably gonna be for quite sometime... I say at very least until 2027 so get a full actual 10 years of support!

Looking back at that Direct, there were a lot of "impossibles" that were revealed there.

Mario and Luigi coming back, Marvel Vs. Capcom coming back, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 being localized, playable Zelda, METROID PRIME 4 BEING A REAL GAME!!!!

Looking back at that Direct, there were a lot of "impossibles" that were revealed there.

Mario and Luigi coming back, Marvel Vs. Capcom coming back, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 being localized, playable Zelda, METROID PRIME 4 BEING A REAL GAME!!!!

So ... you're saying ... it was the Direct ..... .... of ... Dreams?

Truly feels like the end of an era to see Prime 4 with a release year. I've felt for years that as long as Prime 4 was out there, the Switch generation couldn't end. This has probably been the longest I've spent with one console, my V1 Switch has seen me through a lot of life shit, and it's weird to feel like there's some sort of finish line finally being drawn in front of us.

Honestly, now that I've had time to digest it and come down off the excitement, it feels almost bittersweet. I almost don't wanna let this generation go. 😅
I 110% feel this

End of an era on so many levels for sure.

does anyone else find it a little weird that there are no pages for the newly-announced upcoming games?

or did I miss something really obvious, lmao

does anyone else find it a little weird that there are no pages for the newly-announced upcoming games?

people were floating the idea that them not having them yesterday is why we didn't really have first party leaks this time around

they really should have some up by now now that the Direct was a full day ago though

you mean like on the eshop?

I think the suspicion is that people like Pyoro were getting their info from the eshop/website backend, and so Nintendo deliberately held off on uploading any 1st party stuff ahead of time to prevent leaks. Bit weird they still aren't up, but I guess maybe with today being a US federal holiday the process of getting that sorted is taking a little longer this time

huh. that makes sense. Just interesting that they're already up in the UK.

I will not worry even a little bit about it, then!

Today has been a great day, and It has reminded me of why E3 season is the best time of the year, in a way that makes me nostalgic.

Just lining up web browser tabs of trailers - Prime 4, Echoes of Wisdom, Ace Attorney, Perfect Dark, Life is Strange, etc etc... and watch over and over again. Loving it.

I know some people probably won’t like this but with Wiimakes now being a thing we’re very likely going to see HD versions of New Super Mario Bros and/or New Super Mario Bros Wii at some point during the Switch 2’s lifespan

I know some people probably won’t like this but with Wiimakes now being a thing we’re very likely going to see HD versions of New Super Mario Bros and/or New Super Mario Bros Wii at some point during the Switch 2’s lifespan
Oooooor Super Mario Galaxy 2!

So today I came across the term "toxic positivity".

Kinda feel hit by it because of being a glass-half-full person whose body consists of 60% hype.

But maybe it's nonsense.
Eh, I think it's nonsense in the way it's used as a weapon against people simply being happy. It's supposed to mean, like, being performatively positive to the degree that they reject recognition of any other emotion in themselves or others, and refuse to acknowledge problems or problematic situations. Being happy and upbeat and keeping a positive frame on things is not toxic, no matter how much the internet wants us to think so.

"The final touches on editing this Direct are nearly complete and it's looking good but we need something to put it over the top. We need raw sex appeal. Send him in."

GQY0Va9WIAEKVPc
That haircut is what I try to achieve every time I get mine done. I have yet to match the power with which he pulls it off, though.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
👏 👏 👏

Today has been a great day, and It has reminded me of why E3 season is the best time of the year, in a way that makes me nostalgic.

Just lining up web browser tabs of trailers - Prime 4, Echoes of Wisdom, Ace Attorney, Perfect Dark, Life is Strange, etc etc... and watch over and over again. Loving it.
I can't remember the last time I went back and watched a trailer over and over and over like that. I mean yeah, I watched the TotK E3 '21 trailer a bunch, but not all on the same day it revealed, geez

I can't remember the last time I went back and watched a trailer over and over and over like that. I mean yeah, I watched the TotK E3 '21 trailer a bunch, but not all on the same day it revealed, geez

Worth noting that many of them are reaction videos too.

I do have a flair for the exaggerated ones. Who cares if they're exaggerated, RogersBase gives me life.

Worth noting that many of them are reaction videos too.

I do have a flair for the exaggerated ones. Who cares if they're exaggerated, RogersBase gives me life.
omg did you see the person in the front of the crowd at Nintendo Store NY?

feigned (I think) fainting from excitement and then got back up and spent the rest of the trailer kneeling in like a worship pose. I love it.

Eh, I think it's nonsense in the way it's used as a weapon against people simply being happy. It's supposed to mean, like, being performatively positive to the degree that they reject recognition of any other emotion in themselves or others, and refuse to acknowledge problems or problematic situations. Being happy and upbeat and keeping a positive frame on things is not toxic, no matter how much the internet wants us to think so.

to me I mostly see it as an interactions with others thing

like it's totally fine to have whatever reactions to things yourself but you're crossing a line when you start picking fights with others over them not being happy about whatever their issue is

Hell yeah Amy Rose is trending on twitter due to Sega fans pointing out Peach and Zelda now have their own games and they're going at Sega like "our turn"

Back
Top Bottom