• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
It looks cool though!

But yes, it does. That area is a bit of a pain for multiple reasons.
It looked very pretty, but it was extremely linear and simple from a level design perspective, and nothing mechicanically made use of the setting. Pretty boring after many of the other areas.

Also I'm just not a fan of the 4th, 5th and now 6th boss fights, which I've ended up on in the space of an hour, so it has soured me on the game a bit. I did the 4th and 5th fights on my third attempt each time, so I'm not finding them impossible, but I'm not a fan of the design. Especially not enjoying how long it takes button presses to register after taking damage, or the absurdly long specials the bosses have which on the 6th boss especially I'm finding nigh impossible to avoid.

Orod, Menolias and now Vahram.

I'm in a weird spot where I managed to grow up mostly devoid of Looney Tunes. Cartoon Network and Boomerang had Tom and Jerry and Hanna-Barbara stuff, Disney Channel had old Disney cartoons, but I don't think anyone was airing old Looney Tunes at the time. I was just barely too young for Back in Action, but just barely too old for The Looney Tunes Show, so overall I mostly knew them through osmosis and merchandising. I think I saw more of the babies spinoff than I did anything else.
There's definitely a visibility problem with Looney Tunes.

These were theatrical shorts they made in the 30s-60s. They started showing them on TV in the early 60s. Multiple syndication packages were made with them so basically every tv station had them.

They were everywhere and the cartoons are largely timeless. It's why they stayed big and were so big still in the 90s (space jam anyone).

But then they got yanked away. They started being on cable too. Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network both had them. Then they became CN exclusive. No longer available on free, over the air tv broadcast, exclusive to CN and Boomerang. Then they disappeared from that too.

Nowadays if you want to see them you have to seek them out actively. Either being subscribed to a service that has them or buying the disc's. A whole generation of people can no longer casually discover them and become fans anymore and it makes me sad seeing LT's culture footprint fade away. I'd love to see new LTs games and collections of the classics ones. I don't count multiversus, I mean a dedicated game.

This is one of the problems I have with linear being almost wholly replaced with on demand streaming. While it's great being able to pick out and watch a specific thing, it makes stumbling into to discovering something you never knew you liked much harder.

One silver lining is that there's a tv show on free ota tv in the US that shows them again called "Toon in with Me". It airs classic cartoons (LTs, plus some others like Tom and Jerry, Popeye, etc) with bridging segments of a dude and a puppet character doing skits. So I'm glad that maybe some new people will get to discover them.

No idea how you plan to have time to play fighting games when you are going to be playing THE Paper Mario: THE Thousand Year Door game all month long?!
Paper Mario isn't due until almost the end of May, so there's plenty of time to play other things in the meantime :D

MY DAY OFF GOT SWITCHED TO MONDAYS, LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

raf750x1000075tFFFFFF_97ab1c12de.u3.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously, two days off in a row every week (we're closed on Sundays) is a fucking blessing.

Just a little test

dek7jA9T67BmZ8zf6

Test failed πŸ’€

I noticed that the images uploaded through Discord links just die after a while, so I wanted to see what other alternatives there were. I used a link from Google Photos and it didn't go through; I used the typical BB codes. I don't want to have to use links from Imgur again, since they look tacky. Anyone know a good way to upload images that'll actually stay?

Image in question:

20240420_1912542.jpg

Last edited:
Just a little test

dek7jA9T67BmZ8zf6

Test failed πŸ’€

I noticed that the images uploaded through Discord links just die after a while, so I wanted to see what other alternatives there were. I used a link from Google Photos and it didn't go through; I used the typical BB codes. I don't want to have to use links from Imgur again, since they look tacky. Anyone know a good way to upload images that'll actually stay?

Image in question:

20240420_1912542.jpg
lmao is that a One Piece spoiler pic edit

I use https://www.directupload.eu/ now. It's in German but should be fairly self explanatory

This month I will be buying Paper Mario and I'll be keeping an eye on Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. I think I'm finally entering the later stages of Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, but I've not made much progress with my Pile in the last few weeks otherwise so I'm not sure if I'll start Paper Mario on release.

I don't want to have to use links from Imgur again, since they look tacky. Anyone know a good way to upload images that'll actually stay?
"Look tacky?" Are you just posting the imgur URL without BBcode? I assume you mean they look tacky because of the weird imgur nested border that creates, like this:

But that's not the only way you can do imgur uploads. Every single picture I make and post here is through imgur, and they display clean without that weird nested imgur-branded border, because I post them in BBcode.

When you upload to imgur it should give you the option to have a BBcode you can copy and paste here:

RZtZ5KE.png

Then the code it gave me for that image, [img]https://i.imgur.com/JuKZn6w.jpeg[/img], copied and pasted right into Fami, displays like this:

JuKZn6w.jpeg

Is that what you mean?

"Look tacky?" Are you just posting the imgur URL without BBcode? I assume you mean they look tacky because of the weird imgur nested border that creates, like this:

But that's not the only way you can do imgur uploads. Every single picture I make and post here is through imgur, and they display clean without that weird nested imgur-branded border, because I post them in BBcode.

When you upload to imgur it should give you the option to have a BBcode you can copy and paste here:

RZtZ5KE.png

Then the code it gave me for that image, [img]https://i.imgur.com/JuKZn6w.jpeg[/img], copied and pasted right into Fami, displays like this:

JuKZn6w.jpeg

Is that what you mean?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was not aware that there were options for BB codes through Imgur, I just copy the permalink, paste it between the codes here and it still wouldn't go through.

I'll give it a try.

a5MLrGg

JuKZn6w.jpeg

Edit: It worked by copying the link, but I couldn't find any options to use BB codes on Imgur. I'm using the Android app, so maybe that's the problem?

Uploaded through Discord:

Screenshot_20240430-180433.png

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I was not aware that there were options for BB codes through Imgur, I just copy the permalink, paste it between the codes here and it still wouldn't go through.

I'll give it a try.

a5MLrGg

JuKZn6w.jpeg

Edit: It worked by copying the link, but I couldn't find any options to use BB codes on Imgur. I'm using the Android app, so maybe that's the problem?

oh okay I'm using the website, so there might be a difference in functionality.

what happens when you click the three dots in the upper-right corner, right under your battery percentage there? When I upload on the website those three dots are what give me the option to copy all those different share links, BBcode being one of them.

7ivWqqa.jpeg

love an accidental dutch angle but I’ll be uh. fixing that shortly lmao

I'll give it a try.

a5MLrGg

JuKZn6w.jpeg

I've never found a useful option for embeds with Imgur either, on desktop or mobile. It just gives me one option, this garbage: <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/camXNIQ" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/camXNIQ"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I just right click and open the image by itself in a new tab and copy that address. Looks identical to the BB code stuff, except you have to go through insert image like normal instead of just being able to paste it in as-is.

Oo7yboS.gif

(gifs are extra stupid, you may have to manually change the extension in the link from .mp4 to .gif, even if you very much uploaded it yourself as a gif, Imgur)

oh okay I'm using the website, so there might be a difference in functionality.

what happens when you click the three dots in the upper-right corner, right under your battery percentage there? When I upload on the website those three dots are what give me the option to copy all those different share links, BBcode being one of them.
When I tap on the three dots, the prompt on the image shows up with edit, delete and all the other stuff.

I'm using the Android app, so maybe that's the problem?
if you press and hold to copy link, you can get one that works usually. or open in a new tab all the way.

you want the link with β€œi” in it:

https://i.imgur.com/7ivWqqa.jpeg

(gifs are extra stupid, you may have to manually change the extension in the link from .mp4 to .gif, even if you very much uploaded it yourself as a gif, Imgur)
Gifs used to give me trouble until I found the trick that straight-up gives me the bbcode for the upload. If I revisit the same image later it'll be converted to MP4 and changing the extension sometimes won't even work for me at that point (because often the MP4 is a new file they generate based on your gif with an entirely different filename) but as long as I snag the bbcode when I upload it'll work as a gif.

I dunno why they make it so damn hard. I've got my system down to a tee, but it's so obtuse if you don't know the specific steps.

I've got my system down to a tee, but it's so obtuse if you don't know the specific steps.
this is the internet

also coding

also spreadsheets

also most things

I continue to be amused by what youtube puts into categories for me.

"Soundtracks," it says. 🀣

TSiD8LK.jpeg

happy star wars day everyone, today is also my BIRTHDAY, and because it’s my birthday i get to introduce you to my GIRLFRIEND, who is AMAZING

As always, the previous report is right here.

We're almost halfway through the year, it's time for my 5th Resolution Report!

1. Get a new job! This past month, I've had 2 job interviews......... and I've heard from neither, since....... The company that I talked about at the start of April hasn't reached out to me, despite saying that I'd hear back from them within 3-5 business days (in other words, a week, at most), but I've heard nothing from them! With the other company, I was supposed to hear back from them within 48 hours! It's honestly disheartening and I should probably cut my losses with those two. On the upside, I'm getting more hours at my current job, so there's that. I'll still be applying to whatever suits me best, back to the drawing board....

2. Get a car! I've only done one driving lesson, so far, as I've had a hard time scheduling another with my teacher; my next lesson will be next Tuesday. For some reason, I thought it was today, I had all my stuff together, waiting for my teacher to show up, so I decided to check my text messages and saw that I had the date wrong ....... My Dad's gonna give me his second car, so I won't have to worry about buying one, for the time being. I was nervous during my first lesson, but I managed well enough.

3. Lose weight! My weight is just about the same as last month, despite skipping a few too many days in a row, so that should be fine. I've been eating less often per day, sticking with a meal every 3-5 hours and avoiding junk food when I can. I've added jogging to my workout routine; at first I tried jogging for 2 blocks..... only to tire out after the 1st block, so I stuck to doing 1 block per session. My goal for this month is to get back to doing daily workouts, including jogging.

4. Get a girlfriend! ........ Same as last month, lol. Slowly getting better at engaging in small talk with her, though, so progress is progress.

5. Beat 5 games in my backlog! πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ I haven't touched FF7 in a month and I've spent this past month on PS2 and PS3. I unlocked every character in Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3...... does that count as beating it? I have no real interest in unlocking everything else, so eh, I'll count it. I think the reason why I fell off of FF7 a bit is because I saw that there was this Materia called "Enemy Skill" that let's you steal certain moves from certain enemies that hit you with them, basically a "Blue Mage" class that you can equip on anyone. I looked up what kind of skills you can get online and realized that I missed a bunch of enemies and that kinda just scared me off from playing it, since I want to make use of that skill, but I don't want to backtrack just to fill up that list. Then there's the process of unlocking everyone's Limit Breaks; the criteria is a little too demanding for my taste, especially since you have 9 party members and you have to kill hundreds of enemies to get to that point. I'll get back to it, just felt a little intimidated is all.

6. Save enough money to move out! Again, same as last month, but it should be easier, now that I have more work hours.

7. Read more! Uhhhh.... I started reading Kinnikuman a few weeks back, that's a book. I haven't touched "Manga in Theory and Practice" since February, I really should get back to that. Speaking of books that caught my interest, I found about this series called Guin Saga. Yoshitaka Amano of Final Fantasy fame did some art for a few of the novels and the art is as gorgeous as you'd expect from him. The series has over 100 volumes and it's a completed story, but only 5 of them have been translated into English and there doesn't seem to be a fan translation in sight. I'll still pick up the 5 that are available and give em a shot.

8. Cook more! As some of you may know, I had a bit of a SNAFU last week, trying to bake a cake. I've also been making myself breakfast, just pancakes, beef bacon, and eggs. I'm thinking about trying my hand at pepper steak and white rice, it's one of my favorite dishes.

Conclusion: Definitely a bit of an upward trend, compared to last month with some hiccups along the way. Aside from #1 (which feels like a dice roll, at this point) I think I just need to keep applying myself to my goals. What matters most right now is that my progress is palpable and I think April has been my most successful month, yet.

Decided to look at all my old reports and I realize I haven't watched Hideaki Anno's Shin movies yet. Don't feel like doing that now, maybe later. I'll say this again in a few months when I make the same realization.

Been thinking about getting Ring Fit Adventure and adding that to my workout routine. Same with Wii Fit.

Dunno how or why exactly but I've become a bit of a Fortnite player lol.
Bought the battle pass, an emote, and I'm thinking of buying a fancy skin, and a new Billie Eilish emote, and also the monthly subscription that Fortnite has.

I have not won a game yet, at least in solo's lol.

It looked very pretty, but it was extremely linear and simple from a level design perspective, and nothing mechicanically made use of the setting. Pretty boring after many of the other areas.

Also I'm just not a fan of the 4th, 5th and now 6th boss fights, which I've ended up on in the space of an hour, so it has soured me on the game a bit. I did the 4th and 5th fights on my third attempt each time, so I'm not finding them impossible, but I'm not a fan of the design. Especially not enjoying how long it takes button presses to register after taking damage, or the absurdly long specials the bosses have which on the 6th boss especially I'm finding nigh impossible to avoid.

Orod, Menolias and now Vahram.
That’s the weakest stretch of the game for sure, especially boss-wise. I found Menolias to be the worst boss in the game.

And overall the first half of PoP is stronger than the second half, but there’s some good stuff still to come. One of the remaining bosses is probably my favorite in the game other than maybe the Forest Queen

where's my NPDs I was promised juicy controversy
the Nintendo PDS?!

Portable Dual Screen?????

Pwii Du Sdeluxe??????

PokΓ©mon Dirt Shovel????????

as a DC area resident this sucks :(

as a DC area resident this sucks :(
Damn, this is my first time ever hearing about that place and it sounds rad as hell.

I have a very specific question for @Raccoon

imagine, if you will, that you are the arbiter of a series of caverns – each currently being used as a "screening room" for archival music of some sort

you seemingly enjoy being the host and gatekeeper of this strange volcanic audio pocket

what would you say to wayward travellers who stumble into this strange sonic atheneum left in your charge?

hell of a band name

this one too
ehh too wordy. but I'm definitely calling the place Sonic Atheneum

"but what does that do to the lore," you cry

I simply Do Not Know my guy, the demo is seemingly self-aware and is not necessarily completely canon

Back
Top Bottom