• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fighting Games |ST| Fami World Warriors Alpha Version ST Accent Core + Rev Xrd Central Fiction SysCeles XV Type Lumina Ultimate Special LOVE MAX!!!!!

MissingNo.

Squirtle Squad Leader
Pronouns
he/him

For too long now, Famiboards didn't have a dedicated place to talk about Fighting Games. Not anymore! Whether you're working your way up to become the King of Metro City or the King of Fighters; whether you play on a gamepad or a fightstick; whether you like to test your mettle against other players online, or whether you're like me and like to goof around in offline modes, beating up the CPU in arcade mode to unwind and having a good time in the process; or whether you spend countless hours in training mode, practicing relentlessly to get that combo just right – this is the place to talk about it!

With a great variety of fighting games out there, from classic 2D ones like Street Fighter and King of Fighters, to 3D ones like Tekken and Soulcalibur, and platform fighters like Super Smash Bros., you're definitely going to find one that fits your tastes. To highlight some of them, I want to list:

Street Fighter

Probably the pinnacle of 2D fighters, this series has been going strong for over 35 years now. The earlier games are available on Switch as part of the 30th Anniversary Collection, and some of its spin-off games are featured in the Capcom Fighting Collection. The latest release in the series, Street Fighter 6, is available on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

Tekken

If Street Fighter is the pinnacle of 2D fighters, Bandai Namco's Tekken is the one for 3D fighters. None of the games are available on Switch, but the more recent ones are readily available everywhere else, including the upcoming Tekken 8 in January 2024.

Mortal Kombat

Infamous for its gory fatalities, Mortal Kombat has become a staple of fighting games in the nineties. Both Mortal Kombat 11 and the more recent Mortal Kombat 1 are available on Switch, so you can rip out spines on the go.

Samurai Shodown

What if a 2D fighting game had weapon-based combat? Turns out, it would be quite fun! SNK's long running series has a couple of games available on Switch, including the most recent release and the Samurai Showdown NEOGEO Collection.

Soulcalibur

But what if a 3D fighting game had weapon-based combat? Bandai Namco answered that question with the Soulcalibur series. While Soulcalibur II on GameCube had Link as a guest character, neither the most recent Soulcalibur VI, nor any other entries are available on Switch.

The King of Fighters

What if SNK made a crossover fighting game, featuring fighters from a myriad of their own IPs, including Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Psycho Soldier, and Ikari Warriors? This series has been going strong since the mid nineties, and a number of its releases are available on Switch – not including the most recent KoF XV.

Killer Instinct

Rare's take on 2D fighting games, this series has been rebooted on Xbox One, and is getting a current gen update later this year for the 10th anniversary of the most recent title. None of the games are available on Switch.

Virtua Fighter

SEGA's 3D fighting game series actually precedes Tekken, but has been dormant since Virtua Fighter 5 in 2006, unless one wants to count 2021s Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown. Virtua Fighter 2 is playable on Switch through NSO Expansion Pack.

Guilty Gear

Arc System Works have done a lot of fighting games in their days, including BlazBlue, but this is probably the one they are known best for, with the possible exception of the licensed Dragon Ball FighterZ. Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R are available on Switch, but the most recent Guilty Gear Strive is absent.

Super Smash Bros.

I don't think this one needs an introduction. Going strong since its inception on N64, Super Smash Bros. is well known for being the ultimate crossover fighting game series, culminating in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which finally lets you beat up Banjo & Kazooie with Sephiroth, as god intended.

Famiboards Fight Club​

A community thread dedicated to fighting games wouldn't be complete without a quick and handy way to have some fun and duke it out with your fellow fami online. Submit your contact info for Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PlayStation, Steam – wherever you play fighting games – and they will be compiled in the list below. Don't worry, the information will only be visible to registered users. If you want to be added, make sure to @ me so I don't miss the post!

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last but not least, shout-out to @xghost777 and @big lantern ghost for going completely overboard on the subtitle.

Last edited:
None of the games are available on Switch
I know, and it sucks! One of my biggest hopes for the next Nintendo system is that it’ll get more fighting games. I at least expect Street Fighter 6, King of Fighters XV and Guilty Gear Strive on there. Still, Bamco, PLEASE just give me portable Tekken.

About games that are available on Switch, though, obviously Smash Ultimate is permanently on my SD card. I also have ARMS, Skullgirls, and KoF 98 (planning to purchase Garou at some point) and Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. Also made the most out of the NSO Trials for Pokken and DBFZ, those were fun too!

I played fighting games growing up, but haven’t really gotten into one in a while. I’m just not sure what my game even is at this point. Always really liked Virtua Fighter’s feel and mechanics, but…🥲

Think I might get Mortal Kombat 1 whenever that winds up on sale, NetherRealm seems to do pretty well with single player content and that’s definitely where I would be, at least until I built up some chops! They are really pushing the level of grotesqueries on display though lmao, part of me wonders how I’d feel after playing for an hour or two solid. That Thanksgiving fatality they put out 🤢🤢🤢

They are really pushing the level of grotesqueries on display though lmao, part of me wonders how I’d feel after playing for an hour or two solid. That Thanksgiving fatality they put out
Even as someone who likes gore, Mortal Kombat goes over the line for me, and that’s why I never got into the series. Doesn’t help that I don’t like its basic gamefeel too. That said, mad respect for their strides in fleshing out singleplayer content.

I really, really enjoyed Soulcalibur VI's single player create your own character adventure mode, and I am not losing hope for a sequel. I would also take a Switch port of VI, because having that on the go would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath on that front.

What I am holding my breath for is SF6 on Switch 2, because I will play the shit out of World Tour in handheld mode, and it will be glorious!

I have also put way too much time into SSBU, playing WoL, grinding for all the spirits, and just beating up the CPU in Classic Mode or Vs. Mode. Haven't played it in a while, but always on the brink of going back to it.

Just coming in to say that while i do like to play a fighting game (like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat) once in a while, i suck horribly at those games.

That's all.

Oh and...

airplane-goodluck.gif

Fighting Games are probably my overall favourite genre. The big one I don't like is Mortal Kombat, but maybe we can get some online matches going for some of the games? 👀

Really looking forward to Tekken 8, the base roster is great. Hoping they add Lidia as DLC and Baki as a guest character is still the dream.

Since we have this new ST, I’ll write about my history and love for fighting games. I started playing fighting games outside of dabbling with arcade machines probably technically with the original Smash Bros on N64 and then again with Melee. Super Smash Bros Melee probably cemented my love for the genre and it’s the only game to this day I had fun competing in a local tournament. It was at my town’s library which was cool and public at the time, but now is a private disaster 🙃. I did not win, but I had a good time. Since I’m on the topic of Smash, I’ve liked every game more than the last with Ultimate being my absolute favorite fighting game of all time.

My first traditional fighter was Soul Calibur II on GameCube which I spent a lot of time with and have tons of fond memories of. Dead or Alive 4 was another big one at the Xbox 360’s launch, but where it really started becoming a thing for me though was Street Fighter IV which had mercilessly tight input windows. This is where I learned to throw a Hadoken and perform a Shoryuken among other inputs. It’s far from my favorite fighting game and isn’t my favorite Street Fighter (which is 3 btw, still haven’t played 6 lol), but it’ll always have a place in my heart nonetheless.

I truly became hooked for life though on fighting games with BlazBlue Calamity Trigger which I only saw a little footage of before wanting to pick it up. The initial roster was small, but I really gravitated towards how unique each fighter was, how approachable it was with attacks flowing into each other, and just how amazing it felt. The story was ridiculous and a huge pain to get into with the initial game, but even so I became attached to it. I played nearly every day even for just a few rounds. When Continuum Shift rolled around that forever cemented my love for BlazBlue as my favorite fighting game franchise and Arc System Works as my favorite fighting game developer. Some of their modern games have been hitting a little less for me, but BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, and DragonBall FighterZ are some of my favorite fighting games ever.

Anyway this is becoming a big post, so I’ll wrap it up with saying Smash Bros Ultimate is currently the fighting game I play the most these days (Lucas has been my main since Brawl), I’m definitely picking up GranBlue Versus Rising next month, and I’m most hyped for Under Night In-Birth II Sys:Celes in January. I plan to play a ton of that! Incidentally, the OP for UNI2 dropped today! It’s no Unknown Actor, but it’s pretty hype!

I know, and it sucks! One of my biggest hopes for the next Nintendo system is that it’ll get more fighting games. I at least expect Street Fighter 6, King of Fighters XV and Guilty Gear Strive on there. Still, Bamco, PLEASE just give me portable Tekken.

About games that are available on Switch, though, obviously Smash Ultimate is permanently on my SD card. I also have ARMS, Skullgirls, and KoF 98 (planning to purchase Garou at some point) and Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. Also made the most out of the NSO Trials for Pokken and DBFZ, those were fun too!
Really recommend picking up BlazBlue Central Fiction, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Under Night In-Birth (well wait for 2 at this point), Melty Blood Type Lumina, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle all on Switch if you want more cool fighters :)

Fighting Games are probably my overall favourite genre. The big one I don't like is Mortal Kombat, but maybe we can get some online matches going for some of the games? 👀
So I have...

...on Switch:
  • SSBU
  • Pokkén Tournament DX
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Looking for a 2D fighter to add to my collection, preferably with a meaty single player, but I also don't like Mortal Kombat, so the options are rather limited, with P4AU probably being one of the better ones? Open to suggestions here!

...on Xbox:
  • Tekken 7
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • Killer Instinct
  • Capcom Fighting Collection
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

I rarely ever play online, because I suck, but I'd be game for a fun session.

Last edited:
The topic of mains is always fun with fighting games. On the one hand I'm the kind of player that is loyal to characters I think are cool, them being good doesn't matter since I'm not good enough for it to matter anyway. On the other hand I love the variety in most fighting games and will absolutely pick random, even in a game I barely know.

Some of my mains:
Tekken: Used to be Dragunov, now added Feng

Street Fighter: Akuma, Cammy

KoF: Terry and Ralf. Have not played enough KoF to have a set third person tbh but often pick Leona

Guily Gear: Axl Low (have barely played GG)

FighterZ: Base Goku, Base Vegeta, Yamcha

Bruh I forgot Smash. Marth in Melee, Ike in Brawl, Puff in 4, Hero in Ult.

So I have...

...on Switch:
  • SSBU
  • Pokkén Tournament DX
Looking for a 2D fighter to add to my collection, preferably with a meaty single player, but I also don't like Mortal Kombat, so the options are rather limited, with P4AU probably being one of the better ones? Open to suggestions here!

...on Xbox:
  • Tekken 7
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • Killer Instinct
  • Capcom Fighting Collection

I rarely ever play online, because I suck, but I'd be game for a fun session.
Arc System Works has some great single player stuff in general even if it isn’t Netherealm level from what I know of them (every Netherrealm game I’ve played has always been too stiff for my tastes and I’m not a big fan of that level of gore).

BlazBlue Central Fiction is my favorite one on Switch, but the story mode is impenetrable since the first three stories aren’t there. My recommendation is definitely Persona 4 Arena Ultimax then. If you played P3 or P4 you’ll obviously get more out of it, but I hadn’t at the time and still really enjoyed it. Both the original P4A and P4AU stories + the DLC stories are all included so you are good to go there. There’s also a solid variety of other single player modes to dive into as well plus a pretty great tutorial and training mode.

Arc System Works has some great single player stuff in general even if it isn’t Netherealm level from what I know of them (every Netherrealm game I’ve played has always been too stiff for my tastes and I’m not a big fan of that level of gore).

BlazBlue Central Fiction is my favorite one on Switch, but the story mode is impenetrable since the first three stories aren’t there. My recommendation is definitely Persona 4 Arena Ultimax then. If you played P3 or P4 you’ll obviously get more out of it, but I hadn’t at the time and still really enjoyed it. Both the original P4A and P4AU stories + the DLC stories are all included so you are good to go there. There’s also a solid variety of other single player modes to dive into as well plus a pretty great tutorial and training mode.
And whaddyaknow, P4AU is currently 50% off on the eShop. I had it on my list for a while, and now the time has come.

I wish Capcom were doing a better job with SF6 DLC wise. Most new cosmetics are for the avatars only, the battle pass is laughable and a lot is expensive. I was ready to get a bunch of costumes but I think Aki is the only character so far to have an actual new additional costume? Thought we would get more Halloween stuff for sure...

Great ST!

By the way, for those who only play on Switch, this is an amazing buy:

This would be incredibly overkill for my shoddy skills, but 8bitdo make solid controllers, so I imagine this should be great as well. Does it just work with every FG by emulating a regular gamepad or do they have to have built-in support for arcade sticks?

"I rarely ever play online, because I suck"

Never worry about this. Seriously. I hope you will get over that barrier and just play with randoms for fun. The only time I get annoyed by fighters online, is if people get annoying in the chat like in SF6 battle hub, in which case I block/report and move on. Every game played online is a learning experience.

This would be incredibly overkill for my shoddy skills, but 8bitdo make solid controllers, so I imagine this should be great as well. Does it just work with every FG by emulating a regular gamepad or do they have to have built-in support for arcade sticks?
Sorry for multiple posts, I'm on my phone and quoting is annoying. Trust me this is the best beginner's stick. You can also use it for arcade games. I use it for TMNT and shmups.

It works with every game thinking you're using a Pro Controller.

Never worry about this. Seriously. I hope you will get over that barrier and just play with randoms for fun. The only time I get annoyed by fighters online, is if people get annoying in the chat like in SF6 battle hub, in which case I block/report and move on. Every game played online is a learning experience.
To add to that especially newer games will have both proper matchmaking and enough other new people that you'll be able to learn relatively smoothly. Getting beat up is part of that of course! It's mostly tough if you want to jump into something like USFIV now, the only people still playing that are hardcores who have years of experience of course.

Yeah, I know, I really should. I guess I'd never had much of an opportunity to play with friends because most of them just don't like fighting games, and jumping into random online matches always felt like this weird barrier to me. I know it's a me thing.

Sorry for multiple posts, I'm on my phone and quoting is annoying. Trust me this is the best beginner's stick. You can also use it for arcade games. I use it for TMNT and shmups.

It works with every game thinking you're using a Pro Controller.
No worries! Sounds cool, might be something to keep an eye on.

To add to that especially newer games will have both proper matchmaking and enough other new people that you'll be able to learn relatively smoothly. Getting beat up is part of that of course! It's mostly tough if you want to jump into something like USFIV now, the only people still playing that are hardcores who have years of experience of course.
Yeah, I've been a late adopter to pretty much all fighting games I've ever played. SSBU was the only one I got day one, and also the only one I somewhat frequently played online.

Yeah, I've been a late adopter to pretty much all fighting games I've ever played. SSBU was the only one I got day one, and also the only one I somewhat frequently played online.
Of course, threads like these and other communities can also help build a familiarity with playing against opponents online that are around your skill level. Plus more experienced players that can lead others. After all, the best day to start a fighting game is launch, the second best is today.

BlazBlue Central Fiction, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Under Night In-Birth (well wait for 2 at this point), Melty Blood Type Lumina, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
I’ve been thinking about double dipping for Blazblue and Melty Blood, actually.

The topic of mains is always fun with fighting games
My main has always been the random button lol I just love experimenting with everyone’s movesets

My main has always been the random button lol I just love experimenting with everyone’s movesets
Hell yeah. The only time I've felt bad picking random was when I beat a friend consistently with characters I had never played because he was a total beginner lol

Timing pf this thread is great! King of Fighters XIII Global Match is just released on Switch, I got it and as expected it plays great. This is literally the BEST hand drawn sprite fighter ever. Gorgeous backgrounds (as expected from SNK), fluid as hell animations, and super responsive controls (compared to 14 and 15). And it's $25!

Timing pf this thread is great! King of Fighters XIII Global Match is just released on Switch, I got it and as expected it plays great. This is literally the BEST hand drawn sprite fighter ever. Gorgeous backgrounds (as expected from SNK), fluid as hell animations, and super responsive controls (compared to 14 and 15). And it's $25!
Got that one on my watch list as well. Glad to hear it’s a great port!

Yeah, I know, I really should. I guess I'd never had much of an opportunity to play with friends because most of them just don't like fighting games, and jumping into random online matches always felt like this weird barrier to me. I know it's a me thing.

No worries! Sounds cool, might be something to keep an eye on.

Hopefully some folks here play with you. Best to play online in a relaxed and friendly environment to get your bearings before you try randoms then. I find casual matchmaking the best to play online. I never do ranked because I learned my lesson from Overwatch.

Hopefully some folks here play with you. Best to play online in a relaxed and friendly environment to get your bearings before you try randoms then. I find casual matchmaking the best to play online. I never do ranked because I learned my lesson from Overwatch.
Yeah, thanks for the encouragement! I'll be starting with P4AU soon, maybe someone wants to do a couple of rounds for fun sometime.

I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 almost every day on the Switch (30th Anniversary Collection). Occasionally there's no-one else playing unfortunately, so I guess the player base is pretty much dying. More people are playing Third Strike, but I suck at that game 😅

Oh and my friend code is SW-2686-8457-5588 if anyone wants to play. @MissingNo.

Last edited:
I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 almost every day on the Switch (30th Anniversary Collection). Occasionally there's no-one else playing unfortunately, so I guess the player base is pretty much dying. More people are playing Third Strike, but I suck at that game 😅

Oh and my friend code is SW-2686-8457-5588 if anyone wants to play. @MissingNo.
That's such a bummer. Fighting games benefit so much from crossplay, it should be standard for modern (re-)releases at this point.

Added you to the list in OP!

I only have Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Switch. Last week, I played online for the first time in a couple years and got thoroughly obliterated. 🤷‍♀️

Otherwise, I haven’t played many traditional modern fighting games as I don’t have the drive to “get good”. However, I’m really fascinated by how fighting games have been brought to handhelds and have picked up the following over the years:

Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • Fatal Fury: First Contact
  • Gals Fighters
  • King of Fighters R2
  • The Last Blade
  • SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium
  • Samurai Showdown! 2
Game Boy Advance
  • Guilty Gear
  • The King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival
Most of the above are really fun. They’re simpler with fewer buttons which is great for my skill level.

I’d like to get Guilty Gear Petit 2 and Pocket Fighter on Wonderswan, but they’re prohibitively expensive so I doubt either will happen. It’d sure be coolio to justify the link cable I bought.

Seeing this thread makes me want two things from Nintendo as collaborations:

1) A Soul Calibur-esq fighting game filled with Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Xenoblade and Zelda characters.

2) Traditional 2d fighter in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom but with Nintendo characters.

The topic of mains is always fun with fighting games. On the one hand I'm the kind of player that is loyal to characters I think are cool, them being good doesn't matter since I'm not good enough for it to matter anyway. On the other hand I love the variety in most fighting games and will absolutely pick random, even in a game I barely know.

Some of my mains:
Tekken: Used to be Dragunov, now added Feng

Street Fighter: Akuma, Cammy

KoF: Terry and Ralf. Have not played enough KoF to have a set third person tbh but often pick Leona

Guily Gear: Axl Low (have barely played GG)

FighterZ: Base Goku, Base Vegeta, Yamcha

Bruh I forgot Smash. Marth in Melee, Ike in Brawl, Puff in 4, Hero in Ult.
Main talk is fun! Some of my mains would be:

Smash Bros: N64 Samus, Melee Sheik, Brawl onwards Lucas (I played Shulk in 4 before Lucas was added). Beyond Lucas in Ultimate I also play Pyra, Lucina, Dark Samus, King Dedede, Inkling, Joker, and Wolf.

BlazBlue: Makoto, Platinum, Noel, Hazama, Lambda

Under Night In-Birth: Linne, Mika, and Nanase

Persona 4 Arena: Yu and Chie

DragonBall FighterZ: Yamcha, Trunks, and Goku Black

Melty Blood Type Lumina: Miyako

Guilty Gear: Dizzy, Ky, Elphelt, Bridget

Street Fighter: Ken and Makoto

SoulCalibur: Siegfried

DOA: Kasumi

Tekken: Lili

Don't really have much to add to the main talk because I never really committed enough to any fighting game to confidently say I have one. Apart from SSBU, where I just kind of went nuts with:
  • (Dark) Samus
  • ZSS
  • Sheik
  • Ganondorf
  • Hero
  • Sephiroth
For Street Fighter, I mostly stick to Ryu and Cammy; Tekken is mostly King, with a bit of Yoshimitsu on the side; almost exclusively Jago for Killer Instinct. And SC6 I pretty much only played only for the create your character adventure mode, and mine was based on Geralt's fighting style, so I guess him.

Got started with P4AU yesterday. Golden Arena definitely has a bit of a learning curve to it. I picked Mitsuru because she seems to be pretty straightforward, has good range on her normals, and I wanted to play a charge character – cool coat and rapier were a plus as well. Made it to floor 50 of the Bathhouse Course, and then floor 40 of the Void Course before calling it a day, but I started to lose matches around floor 34 of the latter (Labrys especially gave me a hard time out of nowhere), so I had to learn to adapt my play style already, when up until that point it had been rather easy to just play rush down. Did another 10 floors just now.

I like the grindy nature and light RPG aspect of that mode, so I might stick around with it a while longer. Especially since I never played P3, and only had about 15 hours in P4G before I dropped it, so story mode isn't a huge priority for me. I also want to play Akihiko sometime since I really like his play style as well.

Got started with P4AU yesterday. Golden Arena definitely has a bit of a learning curve to it. I picked Mitsuru because she seems to be pretty straightforward, has good range on her normals, and I wanted to play a charge character – cool coat and rapier were a plus as well. Made it to floor 50 of the Bathhouse Course, and then floor 40 of the Void Course before calling it a day, but I started to lose matches around floor 34 of the latter (Labrys especially gave me a hard time out of nowhere), so I had to learn to adapt my play style already, when up until that point it had been rather easy to just play rush down. Did another 10 floors just now.

I like the grindy nature and light RPG aspect of that mode, so I might stick around with it a while longer. Especially since I never played P3, and only had about 15 hours in P4G before I dropped it, so story mode isn't a huge priority for me. I also want to play Akihiko sometime since I really like his play style as well.
Akihiko is so cool to play in that game. His normal combos alone are so satisfying!

Perfect, as it was on PS3. I strongly recommend playing it on OLED, the hand drawn backgrounds really shine there.
Yea thanks! I grabbed the Deluxe. It does feel and look great handheld, but the online is kinda shit on wifi as expected. This made me want to use my PS5 stick on Switch to play. Anyone try the brooks adapter for Switch?

Back
Top Bottom