• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I played through Kid Icarus NES for the first time today. The game is decent, but it's probably one of the most front-loaded games in regards to difficulty I ever played. It starts out brutal and you die in one or two hits, and then just gets progressively easier the more levels and upgrades you get.

But it was a fun playthrough. I like the fortress levels, they're like a mix of a Zelda dungeon and a Metroid game.

What are the really worthwhile Atlus games on the 3DS eshop sale? I already have SMTIV and EOV physically. Any recommendations?

I feel like I'm interested in just about every Atlus game they've published on the 3DS so it's hard to tell.

I definitely want to pick up Strange Journey Redux. Even though I've heard the art is a bit worse than the original game (something about it fitting with the tone less and being more cliche?), I've also heard Strange Journey is one of the best SMT games in general, so I really want to play that.

Also kind of interested in Radiant Historia since it's apparently great and isn't connected to any of the other Atlus games on 3DS as far as I know, so it's just a single purchase without much to think about.

No idea what other SMT spin-offs to get. Some of the side-series like Devil Summoner I'm not sure if it's worth owning both games or not, since I imagine playing both might get a bit repetitive. Also mainline-wise not really sure if I should get Apocalypse before beating IV, assuming they do another sale.

Etrian Odyssey is the most in the air, though. I've played a lot of V so I already know I love the gameplay, but between the Untold remakes apparently being great, IV being one of the most ambitious games in the series, and Nexus being a combination title of the games (kind of like Monster Hunter Generations I think?), I'm really lost on which game to buy 😂 . Think I'd only really play one or two more at most so I'd have to be smart about which to choose.

There's just too many games on the 3DS I want to play for how relatively little time I still put into it!

lol everybody lock the fuck down to the extent you can. if you don’t have omicron where you are, it’s coming

we’re fucked over here and everyone’s gonna travel for Christmas anyway

we’re already past our all-time case high

obviously a lot of what’s keeping COVID going is systemic failure and public health failure, lack of true support and safety nets so people don’t have to make tough choices

but I’ve been seeing a lot of takes lately that “since it’s a systemic failure, there’s no personal culpability and individuals shouldn’t be punished” (by which people seem to mean locked down??) “for systemic failure” / “I did my part and got vaccinated, it’s not on me”

usually I’m all about tearing systemic failure apart for trying to blame individuals, but listen

our first step away from broken and failing systems is community care

and in COVID that means individual responsibility no matter what

double-vaccination is 30% effective at stopping the worst outcomes of omicron, vs. 80% for delta

that doesn’t mean not getting it, that means your case being mild

you can still spread it

the more you do that, even if you don’t feel that sick, the more it carries on

the booster ups prevention of worst outcome against omicron but everything else is still true

meaning don’t go to the damn bowling alley!! and don’t travel!! for fun or for Christmas!! and stop doing shit like it doesn’t affect anyone because my partner could really easily die (and also me probably) if we get it!!

there are so many people who really can and will die and keep dying the longer you act like the vaccine makes you invincible!!

and yeah of course I place more blame on anti-vax bullshit, and anti-mask bullshit, but just because there’s a bigger threat doesn’t mean you’re off the hook!!

please please please this has BEEN an emergency the entire time and this next wave is even worse and I don’t want to die like this, I don’t want my partner to die like this, I’m so sick of the fake ass risk math “I deserve a little treat” method of dealing with this that keeps people like us in harm’s way and keeps this pandemic cranking and evolving!!!

like come on y’all we got an EASY plague. This is an EASY PLAGUE, like fuck, what’s to come if / when we get a worse / more gruesome / contagious one??

we have to keep caring about people when our systems fail us!

please!!!

there’s

I

ugh

I don’t know why I’m even still trying

but please if anything I’ve said means anything just please try I’m so tired

Oof SMT IV AI got broken for a sec

A boss knocked out the main character and two demons, but I had a third one that could absorb the attack type that the boss was using

With that single demon I could beat it because the boss kept alternating between using physical attacks and that attack type, so the my demon's HP was always being restored :p my MP even ran out and I started to use normal attacks, it dragged a bit but it was a little amusing

My fall was difficult and terrible, but I got my booster a couple of weeks ago. And my early birthday present was a SwOLED which blew me away.

Started a new file on Metroid Dread because dat screen holy shit

Also grabbed Chicory and FF8 and 9 for myself and there are too many good games on sale rn ahhh

I can’t wait to try out the joycon painting controls in Chicory, game looks so good.

I was gonna lock myself down for a while anyway, omicron and a new Switch just made me more determined to stay in. At least I’ve got plenty of games to go through.

Friend got me a $20 eShop card for Christmas, so I picked up Chicory! Super excited, absolutely loved Wandersong so I've been really looking forward to this. Also picked up Radiant Historia and Stella Glow for 3DS since they were so low, so I'm sure I'll get to those... eventually!

Likely a lot of celebrations tomorrow/Saturday, so wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season!

I do wish I could get another Pfizer booster to go with my first Pfizer booster since the vaccine I started with was the J&J vaccine, but ah well.

The things Trump said in an interview with Candace is astounding. I wonder if Hell froze over....

Been watching anime and working on a kit all afternoon. Almost game time though, gotta balance both
03E293B4-294E-45E5-AF79-2CBD397CB295.jpg

Been a blast

Yep. While the rest of the world is praying for any amount of vaccines, America hordes them and people decided not to take them because of, excuse my language, fucking disgustingly abhorrent reasons.
Your language is extremely excused and even warranted.

What are the really worthwhile Atlus games on the 3DS eshop sale? I already have SMTIV and EOV physically. Any recommendations?

I feel like I'm interested in just about every Atlus game they've published on the 3DS so it's hard to tell.

I definitely want to pick up Strange Journey Redux. Even though I've heard the art is a bit worse than the original game (something about it fitting with the tone less and being more cliche?), I've also heard Strange Journey is one of the best SMT games in general, so I really want to play that.

Also kind of interested in Radiant Historia since it's apparently great and isn't connected to any of the other Atlus games on 3DS as far as I know, so it's just a single purchase without much to think about.

No idea what other SMT spin-offs to get. Some of the side-series like Devil Summoner I'm not sure if it's worth owning both games or not, since I imagine playing both might get a bit repetitive. Also mainline-wise not really sure if I should get Apocalypse before beating IV, assuming they do another sale.

Etrian Odyssey is the most in the air, though. I've played a lot of V so I already know I love the gameplay, but between the Untold remakes apparently being great, IV being one of the most ambitious games in the series, and Nexus being a combination title of the games (kind of like Monster Hunter Generations I think?), I'm really lost on which game to buy 😂 . Think I'd only really play one or two more at most so I'd have to be smart about which to choose.

There's just too many games on the 3DS I want to play for how relatively little time I still put into it!
Definitely get Radiant Historia. I’ve only played the DS original and it’s a fantastic JRPG with cool, adult characters. The battle system is pretty cool and unique and I like how the time travel story works. The only thing I didn’t care for was the final boss which took forever to kill. Wasn’t hard, just had tons HP. I know they altered the character portraits for the worse, but otherwise the 3DS port is supposed to be very solid and I think has extra story content?

Apparently you can’t add funds on the 3DS with a credit card from January 2022 onwards (you can still add funds via Switch eshop) so this might be the right time to buy whatever you want that’s on sale

I think EO IV is a must have. I have only played the demo of V and it didn’t hook me because it felt like a step back from IV, which had an overworld map and multiple smaller dungeons instead of one big one. Some purists will prefer having a single dungeon but I think that having played IV and Untold 2, IV definitely stands out the most. I made a post on the eshop thread asking whether I’m missing out on anything in terms of EO games, like are the Persona Q games worth it

As for SMT I’m currently playing Apocalypse. I’m about 10-15 hours in I think and it’s basically a sequel that is more of the same, it also has some notable gameplay improvements but I would still say so far that IV is better for essentially doing it first. So if you ever want to revisit that world it’s there. Soul Hackers is good but I wouldn’t say it’s a must have, it’s basically a first person dungeon crawler that has a lot of vibes from 90s cyberpunk anime. In terms of battle system it’s definitely not as developed as something like IV but if you’re interested in the premise it’s worth it for that price. As for Devil Survivor it’s well regarded but I kinda dropped it, well I could end up slowly finishing it but SRPGs just don’t hook me. It’s basically a SMT SRPG where each of your party members have 3 demons, the setting is a Tokyo that’s on lockdown (lol) because demons are around. The game is menu based, it’s structured in 7 days and there are a lot of possible endings so basically each option that you select advances the clock and influences other events. There are a lot of possibilities in terms of which characters you recruit for example. You could get into it if you like SRPGs but it just didn’t hook me so I won’t bother with the sequel either which apparently has worse story but better gameplay

I’d appreciate if eshop talk would be in the dedicated thread, way easier to navigate that way

lol everybody lock the fuck down to the extent you can. if you don’t have omicron where you are, it’s coming

obviously a lot of what’s keeping COVID going is systemic failure and public health failure, lack of true support and safety nets so people don’t have to make tough choices

but I’ve been seeing a lot of takes lately that “since it’s a systemic failure, there’s no personal culpability and individuals shouldn’t be punished” (by which people seem to mean locked down??) “for systemic failure” / “I did my part and got vaccinated, it’s not on me”

usually I’m all about tearing systemic failure apart for trying to blame individuals, but listen

double-vaccination is 30% effective at stopping the worst outcomes of omicron, vs. 80% for delta

you can still spread it

the booster ups prevention of worst outcome against omicron but everything else is still true

meaning don’t go to the damn bowling alley!! and don’t travel!! for fun or for Christmas!! and stop doing shit like it doesn’t affect anyone because my partner could really easily die (and also me probably) if we get it!!

there are so many people who really can and will die and keep dying the longer you act like the vaccine makes you invincible!!

and yeah of course I place more blame on anti-vax bullshit, and anti-mask bullshit, but just because there’s a bigger threat doesn’t mean you’re off the hook!!

please please please this has BEEN an emergency the entire time and this next wave is even worse and I don’t want to die like this, I don’t want my partner to die like this, I’m so sick of the fake ass risk math “I deserve a little treat” method of dealing with this that keeps people like us in harm’s way and keeps this pandemic cranking and evolving!!!

like come on y’all we got an EASY plague. This is an EASY PLAGUE, like fuck, what’s to come if / when we get a worse / more gruesome / contagious one??

please!!!

there’s

I

ugh

People are so damn selfish and it sucks. I have two friends traveling far this holiday, one who definitely doesn’t care and the other who certainly knows better given his profession. The majority of the blame is on the greater systematic failures and how the people in charge made the pandemic political and we should never excuse what lead us here. I also get being furious at antivaxers and feeling like we lost two years of our lives and we want to reclaim it how we can, I feel that too, but given the situation we are staring down we really shouldn’t be treating it like the pandemic is over. Sure Omicron might be less deadly, but it spreads much, much faster and as it reaches the unvaxxed it’s inevitably going to overwhelm hospitals again and hurt/kill people who can’t take the shot or have weakened immune systems. I’m also very concerned with all of the spread going on this holiday how bad schools are going to be hit when everyone returns from vacation. We need vaccine/booster requirements for employment and schools ASAP, but until then I agree, just stay home as much as you can. Look out for your selves and your community.

Never played an Etrian Odyssey game. Which one would be a good entry point? I have experience with other Atlus RPGs.
As a fan of the Etrian Odyssey series I don't you'd go wrong with any of them as an entry point. However EOIV and EOV are great at getting that essential EO feel and both have excellent QOL features that make it easy to get into. If you'd prefer more story there are the Untold titles; of the two I like the second simply because of the restaurant sidequests. You can also start off with Nexus, but I think you would get more out of it once you have more experience with the series.
These are long games too. I’m mainly operating on the consideration that the EO style series likely is done and doubtful a true first person dungeon crawler will be made again by atlus (could be wrong but doubtful without a cheaper development platform like 3DS around)
I don't think the EO series is done, we have that teaser trailer Atlus put out a few years back and now that work on SMTV is complete I think the team can now return to work on the next game. There will have to be adjustments in moving the series from the DS family to the Switch, but I'm sure it can be done.

I did not expect Walmart Canada, of all things, to end up being my favorite gaming-related social media account. But they just keep pulling me in.

you can still spread it

please!!!

there’s

I

ugh

Yeah a big problem I’m seeing lately is that while the anti-vax/mask crowd is still being asshats as usual, even a lot of the more responsible people I know are leaning more into the whole “well I got boosted and I mask up and I did my part, so I’m sticking to business as usual and whatever happens happens, it’s not MY fault, I’m one of the responsible ones” attitude

So I have been thinking, what if in the next Nintendo Direct we get a new Zelda trailer to confirm it's coming next year, but then, for the actual date, we get an E3 trailer running on the S U C C, possibly with but not necessarily adding RT, running at 4K? I mean, they may as well just skip showing it at all or show it again in the first Direct after this FY is over, who knows really?

So I have been thinking, what if in the next Nintendo Direct we get a new Zelda trailer to confirm it's coming next year, but then, for the actual date, we get an E3 trailer running on the S U C C, possibly with but not necessarily adding RT, running at 4K? I mean, they may as well just skip showing it at all or show it again in the first Direct after this FY is over, who knows really?
I don’t think we’ll get any hint of Dane at E3 this year unless it’s set to launch within a few months after, like say September-ish.

MAYBE if they announce a price drop for the base model, but I kind of doubt that too.

So basically all my talking points from when I thought Dane was launching in 2021 are just going to be recycled to 2022, lol

the new hardware will absolutely be announced at or prior to E3. hell, its existence may very well be disclosed at the annual financial briefing.

I think the idea that @oldpuck shared is a great one: the new hardware's "killer app" will be an exclusive Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 still sells and the people who have worked under Yabuki have demonstrated tremendous visual prowess. I imagine that a stylized Mario Kart that only targets the new hardware could look incredible and give a great demonstration of the system's power for the average consumer.

of course, a better-performing botw2 would likely be enough

the new hardware will absolutely be announced at or prior to E3. hell, its existence may very well be disclosed at the annual financial briefing.

I think the idea that @oldpuck shared is a great one: the new hardware's "killer app" will be an exclusive Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 still sells and the people who have worked under Yabuki have demonstrated tremendous visual prowess. I imagine that a stylized Mario Kart that only targets the new hardware could look incredible and give a great demonstration of the system's power for the average consumer.

A Mario Kart with RT would probably be a sight to behold, and we will be able to see it... some day. But first, LEGS, or ARMS 2, whatever they do first.

I mean I WANT to believe that we’ll get a big blowout of new hardware footage at E3, but doesn’t the general wisdom of them wanting to wait to announce it until absolutely necessary still hold true? And just due to the timing of E3, that feels way too early if it’s not coming until November. Unless the devs wanting to show off their games in the best light + the big stage of E3 + expected slowdown of Switch sales next year is enough to overcome that, maybe?

I mean I WANT to believe that we’ll get a big blowout of new hardware footage at E3, but doesn’t the general wisdom of them wanting to wait to announce it until absolutely necessary still hold true? And just due to the timing of E3, that feels way too early if it’s not coming until November. Unless the devs wanting to show off their games in the best light + the big stage of E3 + expected slowdown of Switch sales next year is enough to overcome that, maybe?
based on the rumors this is not a mere revision to the hardware. this is a substantial new target platform that will substantially impact first party software

If they are going to do new hardware. It would have to be very close to its release. So no way it’s prior or at E3.

At least. That’s what I’m thinking.

Wasn't there a conversation months back about how new hardware is rarely unveiled at E3 anymore? If the rumors from this year were true (that 3rd parties were chomping at the bit to show off Dane-enhanced games at E3) then I wouldn't be surprised if we see no Dane announcement at E3 2022 but instead we see some Switch games that look suspiciously too good for Switch, that are launching in Q4 '22 or Q1 '23.

I'm just speculating though. And since it's E3 speculation and not Direct speculation I think I'm allowed.

switch hardware sales are already declining, they can afford to announce their 500 dollar gamer deluxe model six months early

Aren’t Switch hardware sales mostly declining because of the chip shortage rather than demand? I don’t think it impacts Dane timing either way. We’re seemingly staring down a power year for Switch in 2022.

switch hardware sales are already declining, they can afford to announce their 500 dollar gamer deluxe model six months early
A hit hyperbole, no?. It’s not declining that much and it’s seems to be more of a natural thing then because of demand.

For a 5th year system. It’s still selling far better then anyone expected.

A hit hyperbole, no?. It’s not declining that much and it’s seems to be more of a natural thing then because of demand.

For a 5th year system. It’s still selling far better then anyone expected.
well sure, but it being a fifth year system means that they don't have to announce their massive leap forward just a couple months before release. in fact, I would argue that it would not be in their best interest to do so

The more I think about the new hardware, and possible timings, and what it means, etc., the more I realize... I have no idea, lol. I really don't envy Nintendo for how they decide to announce it, and when, and how to market it, and all of that.

At this point I am merely along for the ride in all hardware discussion. It will happen or it will not, either way I will be playing my Nintendo Video Game Software on one system or another.

I have been playing a lot of PS5 lately, and have been able to play Switch just fine. By that, I mean 3O FPS games. It really brings me to the whole "I can't go back to Switch anymore" things we saw on the old place. It just hit me how far people go for console warring, I guess.

The more I think about the new hardware, and possible timings, and what it means, etc., the more I realize... I have no idea, lol. I really don't envy Nintendo for how they decide to announce it, and when, and how to market it, and all of that.
Has to be especially difficult to plan in this pandemic/massive chip shortage reality.

I have been playing a lot of PS5 lately, and have been able to play Switch just fine. By that, I mean 3O FPS games. It really brings me to the whole "I can't go back to Switch anymore" things we saw on the old place. It just hit me how far people go for console warring, I guess.
Honestly yeah. I play a lot of PC games at 144fps and even the jump from that to a 30fps title is really not as dramatic as some make it out to be. I can only really notice the change if it's the same game at different frame rates.

So it seems like a Dragalia Digest (aka Direct) isn't happening like they usually do for the end of the year, aside from that though the new Mystery Dungeon mode among other additions not mentioned are getting added soon.

Thanks to you people I bought Radian Historia. Add it onto the ever growing pile of RPGs in backlog. I envy the guy that is satisfied with just playing the new COD every year. I personally find getting my ass kicked by 13-year olds online to be suffering but I can't argue that it wouldn't be cheaper.

Is it just me or does anyone else thinks that Dragalia Lost might be a good console game if they try it?
Even as a spin-off title I think the world, characters, and stories have enough depth and potential to do well. The main game as it currently is might need more of an anchor for a console experience, like an overworld of sorts to tie everything together, though it would likely be fine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom