• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what happened in Star Fox Command that would have people wanting it to be removed from canon..?
Mainly is just that the game has multiple endings with definitive conclusions for characters of the original cast; Time Skips that show many different ways that characters will end their careers of space bounty hunters.

Slippy gets married and has lots of kids; Falco and Fox can give up on bounty hunting and go to G-Zero Racing; Krystal breaks up with Fox and changes her name to Kursed, and so on;

But really, you can still work around any of those and or make a sequel to Assault without retconing things that will eventually happen in Command;

Wait what happened in Star Fox Command that would have people wanting it to be removed from canon..?
Nothing other than some of the stories are next level. I prefer the ones where Krystal gets ostracized for leaving Star fox team and becomes a bounty hunter or where she ditches fox and he and falcon become f zero racers. Give me the after episodes of those two as games please.

Possibly hot take: Starfox 1993 is a great game.
I can see how folks who grew up afterwards discovering it today might find it crude, but back when it came out, it felt like the gaming equivalent of the original Star Wars, this epic space opera that went took the medium into exciting uncharted territory.
And that soundtrack. Chef's kiss.

This:
NewStarfox.png

Enter Star Marcus! Marcus McCloud, Slidey and Piper Hare. And Old Man Falco. For reasons I failed to understand, people didn't want this to happen.

My brother has a really weird Switch history

Bought it day 1 - because he fell for the hype when BotW reviewed like it did - went and picked up a Switch day 1 together with Botw.
Played it for a month and once he beat Ganon. He enjoyed it, shut down the Switch and didnt touch it...

Until a November night in 2018, he called me and asked if he could borrow 2 joycons because he had bought Super Mario Party on a whim when he was having a party.. so he and his friends played it for 3 hours. Enjoyed it, shut down the Switch and didnt touch it...

Until Collection of Mana released summer 2019. He once again asked for a controller, Pro Controller this time, so he could play co-op with his neighbour. Beat it. Shut down the Switch and didnt touch it again..

Until Metroid Dread released fall 2021. Played it for 4 days, beat it. Shut down the Switch and havnt touched it since.

So I asked him today if he was intending to get Tears of the Kingdom - Yup he said, and asked if he could borrow a Pro Controller when it releases ;P
I'm sure that's going to be the last game he ever plays on the Switch hehe

So glad I’m already good here. Back in the 360/PS3/Wii gen, I started mostly on Xbox 360 and Wii so those are the two where I beat the vast majority of my games and did all of my downloads at the time. The few 360 games I have left to beat are backwards compatible.

Man Star Fox Command was crazy. Had a storyline that no other Nintendo game had. Hampered with useless touch controls (barrel roll was practically impossible to do in tight spots) but the story was something else.

Fox literally descended into alcoholism when Krystal dumped him for StarWolf:
Fox_crying_SFC_ending.png

That was a pretty depressing ending for a dogfighting game lol

Man Star Fox Command was crazy. Had a storyline that no other Nintendo game had. Hampered with useless touch controls (barrel roll was practically impossible to do in tight spots) but the story was something else.

truly Furry Mass Effect!

I love that Star Fox is just a big space soap opera

I believe this bit happens at the same time in the ending where Krystal gets the ultimate shaft wherein the entire universe berates her for bailing on Star Fox and she becomes a solo bounty hunter and it ends with some bit about she and Fox running into each other but then leaves it at that.

Wacky story, but a pretty fun game!

Does anyone get bummed about finding out your data being compromised through some breach? I changed my password for the account - luckily, it’s not my main, but it always stresses me out. I even have frozen credit lines, lol. I just get paranoid about these things.

This week has been hard for gaas games.

My number one thought when I see a GaaS games shutting down is that I hope the employees all get to keep their jobs. A lot of people are involved in keeping live games alive, so when they shut down I really hope they all have other things to do and aren’t let go.

Pikmin fan tries the "New Play Control" version of Pikmin 1 for the first time

Pikmin fan has a good time but despises swarming with motion controls instead of the C-Stick and is considering playing the Gamecube version for the 100th time instead

It's me, I'm the Pikmin fan

Sounds like they'll be keeping the game alive for people who wants to play it on their own private servers.

I'd like to have a console version to be played against the CPU, please!

Possibly hot take: Starfox 1993 is a great game.
I can see how folks who grew up afterwards discovering it today might find it crude, but back when it came out, it felt like the gaming equivalent of the original Star Wars, this epic space opera that went took the medium into exciting uncharted territory.
And that soundtrack. Chef's kiss.

I couldn't really get into the gameplay even as a kid when it came out, but I'll always love the soundtrack as well.

Pikmin fan tries the "New Play Control" version of Pikmin 1 for the first time

Pikmin fan has a good time but despises swarming with motion controls instead of the C-Stick and is considering playing the Gamecube version for the 100th time instead

It's me, I'm the Pikmin fan
It sucks that emulation on my PC isn't the best because I want to play the Gamecube version again in 16:9 specifically because of C-stick swarming. That lil parade melody is so damn cute especially when you only partially push the C-stick so the tempo is slowed down haha

After a whole year, I finally got Valentine's Day Chrom and Robin in Fire Emblem Heroes off a free pull. It's been a good week

FLDnUuCaMAMh_MD

It sucks that emulation on my PC isn't the best because I want to play the Gamecube version again in 16:9 specifically because of C-stick swarming. That lil parade melody is so damn cute especially when you only partially push the C-stick so the tempo is slowed down haha
It is cute. Also I think if you hold the cursor diagonally as far as possible the tempo goes faster than the Gamecube version ever could.

After 15 months together which are among the best times of my life, me and my partner have decided to take things to the next level.
Yep, we just got our Family Nintendo Switch Online Membership!

Weirdly though, even if it is just a commercial thing, the implication that we're a family warms my heart.

At a certain point you'd think developers would get the fact that it seems completely feast or famine for this sort of model. You are either Fortnite/Apex, etc or you get shut down within a year

More studios need to scale back and focus on single player or normal games that you pay for that doesn't involve whale hunting for microtransactions into to be financially viable.

At a certain point you'd think developers would get the fact that it seems completely feast or famine for this sort of model
That’s the thing, companies are willing to gamble because when you hit, you hit the jackpot

Also speaking of feasts I gotta whip myself up something good, I need to last one more day

After 15 months together which are among the best times of my life, me and my partner have decided to take things to the next level.
Yep, we just got our Family Nintendo Switch Online Membership!

Weirdly though, even if it is just a commercial thing, the implication that we're a family warms my heart.
This one got me. I thought it was going to be an even bigger commitment…like sharing an animal crossing island or something

Finished the intro mission for Nier Automa, that was a trip. Didn’t expect to go out with a bang like that. Can now save so gonna swap games for a minute, wanted to do a little TGAA

Finished dungeon 4, first one with multiple pathways, multiple exits, and even multiple boss fights. My boss fights are getting more elaborate and varied too, gonna have to go back and redo the previous ones to try and add some similar flair.

All in all things are progressing nicely. Gonna hopefully get 5 and 6 done by the end of the month, then only 5ish more till the game is complete.

Oh look. News articles and youtubers are using the "angry" DK scene from the last movie trailer already.
I've had several videos in my youtube Recommended that featured the "Now.. you die" bit with DK dressed in various different costumes.

I dunno if they're tryina force a meme or... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Kat Bailey sounds like she thinks e3 2023 will be cancelled all together.

She's strongly suggesting that e3 itself and the third-parties interested in still going to e3 do not have staffers that know how to put on a physical event.

Last gear i bought a new 2ds. But after playing i notived two things

-i miss the 3d soo much. It made good looking 3cs games like LM Dark Moon incredible visually.
-the low res on a larger screen makes these games ugly.

I own a 2011 3ds too, although that one is barely functional which is why i bought the 2ds, thinking i wouldnt miss the 3d.

I plan on getting a normal sized (not xl) new 3ds in the mid future, but i am curious about something.

How does 3d work on a 3ds XL? I never saw one upclose. Does it manage to sharpen the image as much as it does on a regular 3ds? Or its still blurry but slightly better?

Seeing the star fox discussion earlier today was kind of sad. The series’s had so much potential but they did nothing with it. They just kept on releasing the same game over and over.

Hopefully the franchise gets received like it seems so many others are to are have been during the switch gen, and that they ditch the on rails aspect.

She's strongly suggesting that e3 itself and the third-parties interested in still going to e3 do not have staffers that know how to put on a physical event.
Was that on NVC? I still need to listen to that this week. My hype for E3 this year has definitely plummeted, no doubt

Last gear i bought a new 2ds. But after playing i notived two things

-i miss the 3d soo much. It made good looking 3cs games like LM Dark Moon incredible visually.
-the low res on a larger screen makes these games ugly.

I own a 2011 3ds too, although that one is barely functional which is why i bought the 2ds, thinking i wouldnt miss the 3d.

I plan on getting a normal sized (not xl) new 3ds in the mid future, but i am curious about something.

How does 3d work on a 3ds XL? I never saw one upclose. Does it manage to sharpen the image as much as it does on a regular 3ds? Or its still blurry but slightly better?
Standard or new? I have a new 3DS XL and I think it’s a little sharper with the 3D on, but it also has the super stable 3D that detects the angle of your face. I would say it’s not as crisp as the smaller sized screen, but the bigger real estate is nice since it is still 240

Didn’t ESA just farm it out to the company that does multiple Comic-Cons and PAX events? That comment makes absolutely no sense as this company puts on large shows year round. I haven’t listened yet, so maybe there is more detail, but doesn’t seem likely

Reality finally caught up, ain't it?

There's limited amount of people who play regularly, these people have limited time. If you're trying to chase the success of a "genre leader", you've already lost unless you do it somehow close to the start of that leader.

Don’t think I’ll ever adjust to having to hit B to advance the text in Billy Hatcher

B to advance text?

buerk-disgusting.gif

My brother has a really weird Switch history

Bought it day 1 - because he fell for the hype when BotW reviewed like it did - went and picked up a Switch day 1 together with Botw.
Played it for a month and once he beat Ganon. He enjoyed it, shut down the Switch and didnt touch it...

Until a November night in 2018, he called me and asked if he could borrow 2 joycons because he had bought Super Mario Party on a whim when he was having a party.. so he and his friends played it for 3 hours. Enjoyed it, shut down the Switch and didnt touch it...

Until Collection of Mana released summer 2019. He once again asked for a controller, Pro Controller this time, so he could play co-op with his neighbour. Beat it. Shut down the Switch and didnt touch it again..

Until Metroid Dread released fall 2021. Played it for 4 days, beat it. Shut down the Switch and havnt touched it since.

So I asked him today if he was intending to get Tears of the Kingdom - Yup he said, and asked if he could borrow a Pro Controller when it releases ;P
I'm sure that's going to be the last game he ever plays on the Switch hehe
It’s funny because my brother has a similar Switch history. Bought it with Zelda at launch and then bought most of the multiplayer Mario games — like Kart, Party, and Sports. But I don’t think he’s played anything else. That’s what I feel like a more average person does though. Buys one or two games in a year and that’s it.

Personally, I play games a lot but as a multiplatform owner I can go long stretches without playing on any one device. I definitely go a few months every year skipping one of my consoles. The reason for people like me is it’s because I’m playing on another console at that time, but yeah.

Knockout City is Velan Studios, right? After their work on Mario Kart Live, I wondered if we'd see them take on more work with Nintendo. They're only small, but they seem like a good fit for Nintendo's general wacky ethos. Hopefully one way or another Velan have more work coming up and the end of Knockout City won't affect the studio.

It’s funny because my brother has a similar Switch history. Bought it with Zelda at launch and then bought most of the multiplayer Mario games — like Kart, Party, and Sports. But I don’t think he’s played anything else. That’s what I feel like a more average person does though. Buys one or two games in a year and that’s it.

Personally, I play games a lot but as a multiplatform owner I can go long stretches without playing on any one device. I definitely go a few months every year skipping one of my consoles. The reason for people like me is it’s because I’m playing on another console at that time, but yeah.

My brother is a hardcore PC gamer, I was very surprised that he even bought a Switch from the start =)

But yeah, people on these forums are definitely not like the average Switch owner, they does not buy games like most posters here do..
I probably have a 10 times the average attachment rate of games myself :p

Arsing around with my SNES Mini and 3DS - I turned the SNES Mini into storage for my 3DS GBA ambassador and Virtual Console games,, and now I'm thinking I need to raid the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles to rescue missing GB/GBC/GBA games from them before they vanish. Even if I decide not to get an Analogue Pocket, I'd at least have legally obtained copies of the games to keep for the future.

I should also really look and see if I have old SNES games still on a Wii SD card, and save them. And I'll need to get a second hand gamepad so I can work the WIi U...

Standard or new? I have a new 3DS XL and I think it’s a little sharper with the 3D on, but it also has the super stable 3D that detects the angle of your face. I would say it’s not as crisp as the smaller sized screen, but the bigger real estate is nice since it is still 240
i had no idea there were differences in the quality of 3d inbetween the two. I mean i knew they tracked your eye, but i thought that was it. Still, it didn't change my opinion, i will go with a standard one yeah. I think resolution is too important (and often relegated as a side thing in many nintendo games)

Arsing around with my SNES Mini and 3DS - I turned the SNES Mini into storage for my 3DS GBA ambassador and Virtual Console games,, and now I'm thinking I need to raid the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles to rescue missing GB/GBC/GBA games from them before they vanish. Even if I decide not to get an Analogue Pocket, I'd at least have legally obtained copies of the games to keep for the future.

I should also really look and see if I have old SNES games still on a Wii SD card, and save them. And I'll need to get a second hand gamepad so I can work the WIi U...

I've started re-buying GB(A) games and 3DS games virtually but I think that, at some point, Nintendo keeps hell-bent in not giving us options to purchase and play their games legally, then we probably should just oblige and not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom