• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
FmhEWsFaEAA6U7O.png
Another fun batch announced by Goodsmile today(a few are in their prebuilt subline I think tho)

I’m sure you’ve already been advised but might as well try doing the Epley maneuver. Aside from that I hope your meds work (betahistine I would presume).

I still can’t dissociate Adam Driver from his role in Girls
Yep, was prescribed betahistines, but this is the first I'm hearing of the Epley maneuver. Thank you very much, I'm going to try this and see if it helps any

The Last of Us HBO thread will be up later today. Quick question y'all. Should video game spoilers be allowed? For Part 1 and/or Part 2.

Nooooooo I thought nobody was doing it.

Ehh, I'm still excited!

Someone should nominate Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song Remaster in the GOTY noms thread so we're at 5 out of 6 nominations being Square games 😂

and of course it's chock full of Nintendo boomers and coobers

as a Wii kid these people freak me out
Hey as a Nintendo boomer let me tell you that the Wii was perfectly good and got me back into the fold along with the DS

Which Nintendo franchise are you
Probably Mother:
  • Grew up in a small town in the US
  • Delightfully quirky
  • Plenty of family trauma
Only thing is that I'm trash at baseball

I already posted this in off-topic, but Yukihiro Takahashi of YMO passed away today. Here's an incredible solo album of his that sounds like Katamari Damacy with a hint of Lemon Demon. I love this album, and hope that you all will as well.

This is really good stuff. Thank you for sharing! Bah Spotify only has their catalog from after 2020 and pre-1990. That's a weird gap.

Last edited:
The Get to Know Link page on the Switch News made me realize that I don't have the completed Legend of Zelda Switch collection because I don't own Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I'm missing the critical part of the story where Link travels to Mario's universe in an attempt to dethrone him as the top Nintendo mascot through a series of kart races.

Was planning to game today but ended up doing chores and watching anime instead. It was some damn good anime though.

Gonna have to buckle down next time and get back to gaming. I really do need to finish up stop messing around in Prey and finish the game already, then get back to my Switch, polish off some games on there so I can justify buying Chained Echoes already.

Was planning to game today but ended up doing chores and watching anime instead. It was some damn good anime though.

Gonna have to buckle down next time and get back to gaming. I really do need to finish up stop messing around in Prey and finish the game already, then get back to my Switch, polish off some games on there so I can justify buying Chained Echoes already.
My day has yet to start. I think I’ll game after chores.🤔

I've been on daddy duty all day today. No gaming, just trying to make naps happen which is like Champions Road tier difficult

3D Zelda Rankings for me:

Breath of the Wild - I consider this the best one, but I’ve only played it once where I did every shrine in less than two weeks and only briefly returned for the DLC. It is weird to compare to the rest since it is very different, but the exploration is unmatched and the dynamic combat and physics system is incredible. There’s room to improve, story and dungeons are weak, but BOTW is on another level.

Majora’s Mask - This swaps with BOTW depending on the day and it means so much to me as the first Zelda that was straight mine. Awesome story and world, I adore the mask system, and the time limit / puzzles are super engaging. I really need to replay this one soon.

Twilight Princess - Best dungeons of the series carry this game hard for me. One of my most anticipated games ever, if not the one, and it absolutely delivered. Just an incredible game. Also loved the motion controls on Wii.

Skyward Sword - the other one I’ve still only played once and while the dungeons were weaker, the motion control gameplay is phenomenal. I really thought this was the future of video games at the time…but uh that didn’t happen lol. Best final boss with Demise.

Ocarina of Time - Time and place, this is probably the best for me, but it’s a bit too easy and simple today. If you asked me which one is ingrained in my soul the most, it’s this one. Also very cool this one has an official remixed version with Master Quest!

Wind Waker - Sorry Wind Waker you’ll always be my least favorite. The ocean is super rad and some of the ideas for combat are very cool, but many of your islands have too little going on. A small amount of dungeons is disappointing and the original infamous version of the Triforce Quest was horrendous. I also don’t 100% vibe with how you look. Oh well. Great game still and the Wii U version cleaned up some of the roughest edges. Show up on Switch with Twilight Princess please!

Something that has always bugged me a bit about Wind Waker's overworld is how rigid and systematic the design is. Like, you have this evenly laid out map, and exactly one island per square. It makes it feel strangely artificial, not to mention that some of the islands feel a bit like filler. I would've loved fewer but bigger islands, maybe some squares with only ocean, and one square with 3-4 islands on it, just to break up the 7x7 (or what it is) grid design.

And yeah, I don't think the dungeons are all that spectacular when it comes to gameplay. Tower of the Gods absolutely nails it in atmosphere, though.

Blemishes on an otherwise spectacular game if you ask me. Still one of the prettiest games I've ever laid eyes on, and the main story is perhaps my favourite in any Zelda.

Nooooooo I thought nobody was doing it.

Ehh, I'm still excited!

Sorry, friend :eek:

Glad you're excited anyway! It premieres 6AM tomorrow for me over here, and I'm totally going to go up early, prepare appropriate breakfast and settle in.

Sunday Morning breakfast:

Blueberry Muffins
32751-A05-E91-D-4-E42-8981-B89-CAFD8-B8-E9.jpg

D38-AC45-F-344-B-4-BA0-AF7-D-736-BBCD4841-C.jpg

B220-E70-D-EB24-45-E5-B57-F-7-A11-E406-C411.jpg

Turned out pretty good. I would have used parchment paper for the wrapper but ran out.

Something that has always bugged me a bit about Wind Waker's overworld is how rigid and systematic the design is. Like, you have this evenly laid out map, and exactly one island per square. It makes it feel strangely artificial, not to mention that some of the islands feel a bit like filler. I would've loved fewer but bigger islands, maybe some squares with only ocean, and one square with 3-4 islands on it, just to break up the 7x7 (or what it is) grid design.

And yeah, I don't think the dungeons are all that spectacular when it comes to gameplay. Tower of the Gods absolutely nails it in atmosphere, though.

Blemishes on an otherwise spectacular game if you ask me. Still one of the prettiest games I've ever laid eyes on, and the main story is perhaps my favourite in any Zelda.
That's the thing about Wind Waker: The overworld is a bit predictable and rigid (every grid square has one island in it, and also one treasure chart treasure per grid square), the original triforce quest was kind of tedious, and the dungeons just aren't that great in addition to there being too few of them. Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit Boss Keys series where he looks at the dungeon structure of every Zelda game and talks about the dungeons in them is REALLY good and rightly points out how not great the dungeons are (although he says that Wind Temple is the only good one, which vindicates it being my favorite! Woo!)

BUT the atmosphere and vibes of the game are SO strong, at least for me, that I can overlook that pretty easily. Sailing the sea really feels like an adventure, and stuff like the section when it's permanently night for a while is just wonderful and has such a mood to it. And the story is great too, like you said. Going under the ocean for the first time is a top tier Zelda moment. And even the dungeons, while the gameplay and general flow/puzzles aren't always great, the atmosphere of just being in those spaces is so good. Wind Waker in general is just a complete warm blanket game for me, and for all those reasons it's in the middle of my Zelda rankings somewhere and beats out a few others that are probably better games.

So can I start with Super Mario Odyssey, or do I need to play all the other Mario games first?

I've been on daddy duty all day today. No gaming, just trying to make naps happen which is like Champions Road tier difficult
Trying to make naps and lunch happen is basically a kaizo level.

If your kids actually eat and enjoy the lunch you unlock a special cinematic. I’ve never seen it, though.

Hot take: The quality of the Pokemon games would EXPONENTIALLY improve if Nintendo made them.
In this scenario, I believe technical quality of the game may improve, but the story, no matter how insignificant and inconsequential, would be reduced even further and minimize any motivation for wanting to catch 'em all

@meatbag I ended up trying that Epley maneuver. Seemed to help just enough that I'm not as wobbly as before, but hopefully when I try again in a couple hours I can have someone make sure my head is at the correct angles

Trying to make naps and lunch happen is basically a kaizo level.

If your kids actually eat and enjoy the lunch you unlock a special cinematic. I’ve never seen it, though.
There's a very special age where you get that cinematic every day but then it passes and yeah you're left with kaizo levels 3 times a day for the next 16 years

I finished Jedi: Fallen Order today. It was a bit too heavy on combat and light on exploration for my tastes, but there were some nice moments and I'll definitely try to find time to play the sequel eventually too.

I feel like I've bought a million games on Switch and have nothing to play on PS5 after finishing this. Haven't played Ragnarök yet, but I didn't love the first new God of War either, so I don't know.

All Zelda games suck honestly.

Like. I turn on the game. And I’m never Zelda. I’m always this loser called Link. Which I appropriately name “Loser”. But now I can’t even given him a name! Nintendo taking options away from me.

Justice for Princess Zelda.
Imagine if they made a new game called Zelda. You start the game, and the whole game is Zelda. Then they could redo all the old games from Zelda's pov. Maybe this will happen when they run out of ideas.... for Link. Or we could correct the titles and call the series Link.

The Legend of Link Breath of the Wild
The Legend of Link Tears of the Kingdom

Zelda saving Link since 10 000 years ago.

I just saw The Menu, what a movie. I went in expecting comedy/horror (according to its tags) and came out speechless lol.
I actually enjoyed the film, it was different.
I watched it on Friday night. It was good, but it lost me towards the end. The class commentary was quite shallow and I feel the character motivations stopped making sense

Although I loved Nicholas Hoult's character arc, lol

I watched it on Friday night. It was good, but it lost me towards the end. The class commentary was quite shallow and I feel the character motivations stopped making sense

100% same here. Enjoyed the comedy, but any time it tried to point at a deeper meaning as if it was some new revelation that hadn't been satirized a million times before, I checked out. Enjoyable as a little comic thriller though.

Yea I agree the ending kind of fell apart in a way but I appreciated the film for trying something different.

Print-Issue-38-biz_screen-Puss-In-Boots-Wolf-2-Publicity-EMBED-2022.jpg

Yeah, animated kitty-cat movie was 100% badass. Like Spiderverse, it lights a fire in my ass art-wise.
Deserves a theater viewing.
I want to see it, but I haven't seen the first Puss in Boots. The last movie I saw in the Shrekverse was The Third back in 2007. Would I be able to jump right into this movie?

I was taking a look on upcoming Switch games on Metacritic and was surprised that Rakuen was on the list, I missed the announcement. March 23rd

It's a sad and somewhat heavy story despite the appearance. The protagonists go to and back from a magic parallel world and it reveals backstories of other characters. It's a RPG-overworld-style game with no combat, with some occasional puzzles

And it seems like the Switch version will actually be a bundle that includes a follow-up game, Mr. Saitou

Last edited:
So I did the thing the Chrono Cross developers said they wanted to avoid pushing players towards and used Serge, Kid, and Guile pretty much the whole way through in the first half. But not even for story implications!! Just because I now know how Guile's element grid works and I really wanna fill that shit out. 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom