• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say this, for a more earnest opinion. I tried a Sega Genesis controller for the first time around the time the Genesis Mini was released. That three button controller is so large for a controller that has the same amount of buttons as an NES pad. I'm sure the six button controller would feel more balanced, mind you!
See this is what I like about them. The SNES controller was so small that my hands overlap on the back when holding it. Playstation controllers had the handles to grip instead but were still so small that my hands had to be really close together to use it, putting some weird strain on my wrists. It's why I loved Sega controllers, and "the Duke" OG Xbox controller, and the WiiU gamepad, because they were BIG enough that I didn't have to scrunch my hands together to use them. Like my wrists could be closer to straight, whereas with "normal" controllers they're cranked at near 90°.

I really wish there were more big or wide controller options. Even the really good controllers like the 8bitdo line and stuff are still the same size as what he already have, just higher quality.

Weird as it'll sound to most, the Switch Pro Controller buttons and sticks are a great size, so if they were placed about the distance apart as the joycons are when attached to a Switch, that would be so ideal.

Okay I've basically just described a WiiU gamepad again. I just want someone to make an adapter for the gamepad to work with the Switch.

See this is what I like about them. The SNES controller was so small that my hands overlap on the back when holding it. Playstation controllers had the handles to grip instead but were still so small that my hands had to be really close together to use it, putting some weird strain on my wrists. It's why I loved Sega controllers, and "the Duke" OG Xbox controller, and the WiiU gamepad, because they were BIG enough that I didn't have to scrunch my hands together to use them. Like my wrists could be closer to straight, whereas with "normal" controllers they're cranked at near 90°.

I really wish there were more big or wide controller options. Even the really good controllers like the 8bitdo line and stuff are still the same size as what he already have, just higher quality.

Weird as it'll sound to most, the Switch Pro Controller buttons and sticks are a great size, so if they were placed about the distance apart as the joycons are when attached to a Switch, that would be so ideal.

Okay I've basically just described a WiiU gamepad again. I just want someone to make an adapter for the gamepad to work with the Switch.
Gamepad is great. Amazing form factor. Even if it’s a fisher price looking controller. If they had bigger buttons like the switch pro it would be perfect.

Last edited:
I remember back in the day I thought game engines effortlessly handled saving and loading the games and developers didn't have to do anything special for that.

Oh how naive I was.

Gamepad is great. Amazing form factor. Even if it’s a fisher price looking controller. If they had bigger buttons like the swirly pro it would be perfect.
tSjUxSX.gif

Hey

After watching this video, I actually want to play Assassin's Creed Valhalla despite all the bad things I heard about it.

Actually, I'm curious: what are good ways to watch YouTube videos on the thing you're playing without getting spoilers?

Or do you just be crafty about it and remember that the complaint about spoilers is exaggerated?

unlikely prediction slash hope — Solar Ash for Switch

or the Succ

unlikely prediction slash hope — Solar Ash for Switch

or the Succ
I keep forgetting about this game, but I recently was watching some Hyper Light Drifter and I forgot how good the vibe in that game is. I'd love to check out Solar Ash sometime.

One of the things my wife was having trouble with was when the game shows L in a circle, it doesn't want the L button, it wants the left stick. At some point I should do a thread about why the right stick should be called the C-stick and the left stick should be called the D-stick

Why yes YouTube I would like to watch a 1 hour Digital Foundry video about Final Fantasy XIII, thank you very much
The algorithm knows all.

Well, it knew all. The kids wanting Super Simple Songs has really confused the algorithm.

The algorithm don't know shit.

Ok a little more live a live, some Kit time, AOTY list, then some game multitasking while finishing Giant Robo. Maybe some SD Gundam BA today too

Holy shit I did it, I made a working minimap that uncovers the map as you move around it, and I even managed to make it save which portion is uncovered in the form of a png file that you then load upon loading a game save.

That was extremely not easy.

Interesting. We're hopefully seeing Prime 4 enter the final stages of development and some of the fruits of Retro's persistent hiring; ideally having them handle multiple projects would be best.

It's a real shame Nintendo didn't staff them up so they could serve as the home of both DK and Prime, because a Tropical Freeze follow up would've been grand. Hopefully whatever new stuff they work on will make it to market this time - must've been tough on all involved with whatever went on from 2014 through 2017.
I'd actually side with Doctre in a previous vid and fully believe Prime 4 has already been in the final stages. And Ninty just doesn't want to talk until they're clearly ready to show off and promise the game will launch at a designated period. If so, then that bodes well for the notion that perhaps next Winter is Prime Time.

I figure, it'll just be a matter of which one Nintendo wants to go first between DK and Metroid.

I'd actually side with Doctre in a previous vid and fully believe Prime 4 has already been in the final stages. And Ninty just doesn't want to talk until they're clearly ready to show off and promise the game will launch at a designated period. If so, then that bodes well for the notion that perhaps next Winter is Prime Time.

I figure, it'll just be a matter of which one Nintendo wants to go first between DK and Metroid.
The two franchises are different enough that they could easily both launch in the Christmas period, if they were ready. Nintendo were happy to have Mario Party launch a few weeks after Metroid Dread, for example, and most Q4s have multiple first party launches from different franchises to hit different boxes.

I'd be surprised - but thrilled - if both were 2023 titles. I do think, with a remaster at least, we'll get some Metroid this year.

story time: I'm currently taking film/video major at university and my biggest dream is to direct a major film and during the press junket tell the world that the Tlou is overrated.

Trying to see how many enemies at once I can reasonably get away with. It's a lot.

fz1nmFt.gif

Not sure why this gif is so tiny though.

EDIT:

Also here's the minimap.

05hqIbA.png

It's really basic right now but I'm so impressed that it actually works. Gonna figure out how to make it transparent too.

Last edited:
ok I need to get this off my chest for nearly 5 years: during the ending cutscene of super Mario odyssey just before browser interrupted did anyone else think Mario was about to propose to peach when he was slowly walking towards her?

Trying to see how many enemies at once I can reasonably get away with. It's a lot.

fz1nmFt.gif

Not sure why this gif is so tiny though.

EDIT:

Also here's the minimap.

05hqIbA.png

It's really basic right now but I'm so impressed that it actually works. Gonna figure out how to make it transparent too.

I on and off see your posts about developing this game. Is this something your going to release one day?

ok I need to get this off my chest for nearly 5 years: during the ending cutscene of super Mario odyssey just before browser interrupted did anyone else think Mario was about to propose to peach when he was slowly walking towards her?
Thought the same and, honestly, he should've. Mario, stop fucking around and put a ring on it

I on and off see your posts about developing this game. Is this something your going to release one day?
Yeah, hopefully somewhat soon. I originally had plans for a large RPG with a big wide open world map and something like 30 dungeons and 5 towns, but it became way too much for my PC to handle and I was progressing through these elaborate dungeons way too slowly, so I more or less took the exact same mechanics and systems and started building a much simpler dungeon diving game which just consists of a somewhat linear series of dungeon floors. I figure these mechanics are solid and interesting enough that I can release a shorter game now to fund a new PC then work on my dream project afterwards.

I'm probably gonna release a PC demo of it next week to get some feedback hopefully. I've got 3 floors done (5 levels total including the town) and I plan to have something like 10-12 total dungeon floors for the final game, so it should only take a few more months to fill out that content.

Never heard of Good Smile.
They do a ton of merch and I’m sure you’ve heard of Nendoroids, that’s them. They’re also arguable the third biggest in anime kits behind Bandai and Kotobobukyia with their Moderoid line(which is usually a retool of their higher end figure design work). I’ve done one of their kits so far and it was pretty good. They do a mix of pre painting(quality depends on sprue placement), and stickers. The one I’ve built so far was pretty solid

They do a ton of merch and I’m sure you’ve heard of Nendoroids, that’s them. They’re also arguable the third biggest in anime kits behind Bandai and Kotobobukyia with their Moderoid line(which is usually a retool of their higher end figure design work). I’ve done one of their kits so far and it was pretty good. They do a mix of pre painting(quality depends on sprue placement), and stickers. The one I’ve built so far was pretty solid
I... don't know what Nendoroids is, but I've seen the name somewhere, but I don't know where.

Keep in mind that I'm just getting back into gaming after what may have been at 10 year-hiatus at the very least.

I'm guessing "pre-painting" is for wargaming and all that jazz.

I... don't know what Nendoroids is, but I've seen the name somewhere, but I don't know where.

Keep in mind that I'm just getting back into gaming after what may have been at 10 year-hiatus at the very least.

I'm guessing "pre-painting" is for wargaming and all that jazz.
Model kits actually. They don’t have Bandai’s level of separation so they compensate with a mix of pre painting fine details and stickers where applicable.
As for the other line I mentioned they’re stylized figures of anime and game characters

You are not alone. I had to force myself to finish that one. Don't worry, there are a few of us out there.
Thanks. I feel like I’m just off or something. I love all the Zelda’s I’ve played, but I’m just getting frustrated with this ;_; (I do like the game but as of now it’s my least favorite 3D zelda….), it sucks that I feel this way because my friends and family adore this one

I like the story and themes a lot, I’m just got a lot of other stuff adding up :/

Thanks. I feel like I’m just off or something. I love all the Zelda’s I’ve played, but I’m just getting frustrated with this ;_; (I do like the game but as of now it’s my least favorite 3D zelda….), it sucks that I feel this way because my friends and family adore this one

I like the story and themes a lot, I’m just got a lot of other stuff adding up :/
I'll be honest:

I play The Legend of Zelda series

And Zelda-likes

With a strategy guide or some online walkthrough.

No shame in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom