• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m gonna lose my mind if one of the possible online features of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom — if that ends up being a real thing — is invading other players as Shadow Links

you mess with a timeline as much as the Zelda team has and you’re bound to have angry splinters
I'm still waiting on them to fully realize this idea, after ALBW teased the possibility.

Granted, the main thing is seeing how unique they can make it compared to From's methods.

angry splinters
NQ6m7ta.jpg

Wife was wanting to get some coop games for the Switch and I'm curious to hear Fami's opinions. She was looking at the Lego games, namely Star Wars, Jurassic World, and Incredibles. I've never played any of these, so if any of y'all got takes I'm all ears.

She also likes racing games and we've got a few of those. I was looking at getting either Horizon Chase Turbo or Hotshots Racing while those are on sale, I remember one of them kinda blows and the other one's good but I don't remember which was which.
I’ll always recommend Box Boy and Box Girl and Part Time UFO for local co-op on Switch. Both River City Girls games are a lot of fun too, but not everyone loves brawlers.

PSA: If you have any fondness for the 3D mascot platformers of the 90s, you owe it to yourself to check out Lunistice.

It costs just $5 USD, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's shovelware. The control/feel is terrific, the level design is tight, the visuals have that nostalgic PS1/Saturn chunkiness, load times are cartridge-fast, and the music is a bop.
It combines the best things about games like Crash Bandicoot et al with modern quality of life and polish, and there's not an ounce of padding.

And did I mention it's only $5? The value it offers in terms of bang for your buck is frankly ludicrous.

Summer Time Rendering finally released in the US just in time for the middle of winter. Glad Disney was able to start airing this show here in a timely fashion. We usually have to wait several years. I read some good things about this show while browsing website on my dial up internet. I was tempted to head to my local anime store to buy the bootleg VHSs with the fan translations.

$162 million to make Collisto Protocol? These game makers have such unrealistic expectations and can't budget accordingly
I watched a playthough video of the Whole game.

It does look expensive. Cutscenes as well

But the gameplay looked shallow and doesn’t improve much throughout the play through

PSA: If you have any fondness for the 3D mascot platformers of the 90s, you owe it to yourself to check out Lunistice.

It costs just $5 USD, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's shovelware. The control/feel is terrific, the level design is tight, the visuals have that nostalgic PS1/Saturn chunkiness, load times are cartridge-fast, and the music is a bop.
It combines the best things about games like Crash Bandicoot et al with modern quality of life and polish, and there's not an ounce of padding.

And did I mention it's only $5? The value it offers in terms of bang for your buck is frankly ludicrous.

This looks pretty cute. I'll have to check it out, feels like there's a lot of indie 3D platformers lately.

Late to the discussion but yeah I distinctly remember in the year 2000 reading in a magazine I'd borrowed from a friend that the PS2 and Gamecube were coming, and thinking "but how can graphics possibly get better than Banjo Kazooie?"

Then, oneday at Gametraders, I saw Rogue Squadron II.
I swear, at the time, it looked like a playable movie, like if a game came out today looking like Avatar. I could hardly believe what I was seeing.

Outside of a few things pissing me off I am quite enjoying Sonic Frontiers. Probably the most fun in a 3d Sonic game since the Adventure games. Maybe the Werehog game but it's been too long to remember if I actually enjoyed it or if it's a game I remember enjoying but in reality if I went back to play it I'd hate it type of game.

Late to the discussion but yeah I distinctly remember in the year 2000 reading in a magazine I'd borrowed from a friend that the PS2 and Gamecube were coming, and thinking "but how can graphics possibly get better than Banjo Kazooie?"

Then, oneday at Gametraders, I saw Rogue Squadron II.
I swear, at the time, it looked like a playable movie, like if a game came out today looking like Avatar. I could hardly believe what I was seeing.
Rogue Squadron 2 on gamecube launch day completely blew my mind. Having the opening level be the death star trench run, and having it seem (at the time) nearly identical to the movie had to be seen to be believed. The graphical leap from Rogue Squadron on N64 to RS2 was something else.

How crucial is a minimap in a first person dungeon crawler?
Not crucial, I wouldn't say, but it's really really nice to have, especially if your levels are mazelike at all. Part of the reason that dungeon crawlers were so good on DS/3DS since you always had that map screen available. I would definitely lean toward having one if it's at all possible, but if not, a dedicated button to instantly pull up the map isn't a bad option if it's quick.

Not crucial, I wouldn't say, but it's really really nice to have, especially if your levels are mazelike at all. Part of the reason that dungeon crawlers were so good on DS/3DS since you always had that map screen available. I would definitely lean toward having one if it's at all possible, but if not, a dedicated button to instantly pull up the map isn't a bad option if it's quick.
I'm really trying not to overcrowd the screen so it's a tough decision. DS/3DS had the right idea.

How crucial is a minimap in a first person dungeon crawler?
Minimap would not be crucial as long as you can pull up a map at a moment's notice.

"but how can graphics possibly get better than Banjo Kazooie?"
I've mentioned this before but early 3D was ugly to me. Like my gut reaction to Super Mario 64 was "oh that looks terrible we need to go back to sprites". The prerendered backgrounds in games like Resident Evil were lovely, though. And after some growing pains 3D graphics started improving by leaps and bounds.

Now the trick is making a map that saves its state. Which is tricky because the way I plan to make the map is have an overhead camera that shows the whole level, but obscures areas you haven't been to yet. And I'll do that by using black tiles placed above the level in the exact location of each floor tile, and when the player passes beneath them they are destroyed.

But this also requires me saving the state of each individual tile to the save file/game instance so that when you reload the level you don't have a blank map again. And on a 15x15 grid that's 225 unique object IDs I'll need to save.

Feels like there has to be a better way, right?

If anyone is bored tonight, AGDQ has a Stepmania showcase going on right now. The Mario shuffler where they play five Mario games that randomly shuffle between playthroughs every 30 seconds is after that. Sounds wild.

I’m trying to finish Live a Live this weekend. Sd Gundam and arcade paradise are my offset games. Tho I also have like a month left on my gamepass and Lego SW saga and Immortal Fenyx to beat so I may play that this weekend

Looks like Doctre found more proof of Retro's new game

It says the individual started work in July of '22 on an "unannounced Nintendo game" as a writer. Wonder if this is going to be their first Drake/next-gen exclusive.

I never really heard any praise for Crisis Core’s soundtrack. Apart for like one song, Price of Freedom.

And now I get why. The soundtrack is rather mediocre overall. Wandering under the Moonlight is pretty good tho.

But yeah, low tier for Final Fantasy

I keep thinking about how weird it was back in the day that with every generational leap, especially from 8-bit to 16-bit and fron 16-bit to 32-bit, I was actually convinced that graphics just couldn't be any better. I was really like "yes we have arrived, it is like photo quality" lol. And I wasn't even really a kid anymore when 16-bit arrived. Yes, we didn't know any better but still. Especially weird since I knew Amiga for years already.

And you’ve been right for 2D 😉

I'm really trying not to overcrowd the screen so it's a tough decision. DS/3DS had the right idea.
Well, time to develop your own gaming console as well to accompany your game. This is the power of first party software and hardware synergy, babe

Just make a transparent map overlay which can be activated by button press. I found it super annoying with the Wii U to “switch between TV and the handheld just to check something on a map. DS was better (closer) but still, I prefer to just look at one screen.

Looks like Doctre found more proof of Retro's new game

It says the individual started work in July of '22 on an "unannounced Nintendo game" as a writer. Wonder if this is going to be their first Drake/next-gen exclusive.

Interesting. We're hopefully seeing Prime 4 enter the final stages of development and some of the fruits of Retro's persistent hiring; ideally having them handle multiple projects would be best.

It's a real shame Nintendo didn't staff them up so they could serve as the home of both DK and Prime, because a Tropical Freeze follow up would've been grand. Hopefully whatever new stuff they work on will make it to market this time - must've been tough on all involved with whatever went on from 2014 through 2017.

Summer Time Rendering finally released in the US just in time for the middle of winter. Glad Disney was able to start airing this show here in a timely fashion. We usually have to wait several years. I read some good things about this show while browsing website on my dial up internet. I was tempted to head to my local anime store to buy the bootleg VHSs with the fan translations.
It is so good!! I think it might have been my fav anime of 2022!
I hope you enjoy the ride!

Would be neat to have this again for ToTK. But the fact that they are tight lipped about the game basically tears it off. Their making of videos will have to justify.

Played this recently on Steam Deck (and got the true ending, I think?). It's a tight and cosy little throwback platformer that I had a fun time with for sure. The artstyle is really good.

I hope it appears at GDQ at some point as it seems like it'd have real potential as a speedrun game.

The massive difficulty spike at the start of Route C of Nier Automata is obnoxious and I will not be taking questions at this time.

This video title irks me:

(Hasn't actually played Valhalla, but pretends to hate it so he can get along with everyone else.)

Sounds like a really cool game, but holy shit $5 is a steal.

Holy shit there's even a demo on Switch. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

did you know? the dreamcast had these newfangled hall effect sticks twenty fucking years ago
too bad the rest of that stick is fucking garbage. fight me, nerds.

I'm deliberately being a little hyperbolic for the sake it, but I earnestly wish the controller was more comfortable to use, and that mostly lies with that rough texture on top of the analog stick.

too bad the rest of that stick is fucking garbage. fight me, nerds.

I'm deliberately being a little hyperbolic for the sake it, but I earnestly wish the controller was more comfortable to use, and that mostly lies with that rough texture on top of the analog stick.
wrong answer nintendrone, prepare to be annihilated

My first console was a SEGA Master System, and I genuinely never liked any of SEGA's controllers.. they all feel so wrong (even the "legendary" JPN Saturn controller)

Would be neat to have this again for ToTK. But the fact that they are tight lipped about the game basically tears it off. Their making of videos will have to justify.
There's absolutely no reason they couldn't do that for TotTK at next year's conference

The Dreamcast controller followed the Sega trend of just being more comfortable in my hands, and a year or two ago a DC group I follow said they were developing a NEW Dreamcast controller and I was so excited, thinking they'd added a stick and a couple shoulder buttons and would be compatible with modern systems but no, it was a controller compatible with Dreamcast that was that defaulty Xbox shape that all the aftermarkets use now, for people who want to keep playing their Dreamcast but don't like the OG controller.

My hands and wrists are left out in the cold once again.

the more i think about it the more i find Kirby Planet Robobot to be the best 2D platformer out there and it's by someone who LOVES Tropical Freeze

My first console was a SEGA Master System, and I genuinely never liked any of SEGA's controllers.. they all feel so wrong (even the "legendary" JPN Saturn controller)
I will say this, for a more earnest opinion. I tried a Sega Genesis controller for the first time around the time the Genesis Mini was released. That three button controller is so large for a controller that has the same amount of buttons as an NES pad. I'm sure the six button controller would feel more balanced, mind you!

Wife was asking about horror games so we played the demo for RE6. She says she liked it, but it was mostly QTEs and she had trouble getting the buttons right. Might try the demo for RE5 at some point.

Of the Lego games she settled on Jurassic World, so we'll probably get that. I'll probably give the DQ Treasures demo a go this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom