• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe they turned Hades into gurl. What's next? Are they gonna turn Zelda and Metroid into gurls too?!
now-its-our-turn-v0-DIsBlSL3Tn-8hQ9vaK24sGEABkV1VQaaJCftAytu-QY.jpg

idk why I just feel this meme has the same energy

Hades was better than most, but the fatigue still hit me and I didn't finish it. I think what I liked most about Returnal is that its structure was more about LONG, but fewer, runs, and that appealed to me a lot more than Hades, which had very short and very frequent runs.
I'm pretty sure the amount of runs it took me to escape in Hades was fewer than the number of runs I did in Returnal without ever beating the first section lmao

I liked what Returnal was going for but found the difficulty too frustrating. Hades makes it very easy to do "one more run", and also gets way easier relatively quickly once you increase your starting health and unlock a Death Defiance or two

My night has been spent in a stand off with a mouse in my apartment. First spotted it a week ago. It usually comes out around 11:30 from inside my laundry closet but it came out early today while I was out of the house. He was hiding under my fridge for a bit before making it back into the laundry closet. I ordered a humane trap but it won't be here till tomorrow. In the meantime, my apartment management has given me glue traps. I prefer not to use them although it does took like it's easy enough to free them with vegetable oil once they get stuck.

Apartment management is supposed to send over some people to check for cracks and holes and fill them in but they are taking their sweet ass time.

My night has been spent in a stand off with a mouse in my apartment. First spotted it a week ago. It usually comes out around 11:30 from inside my laundry closet but it came out early today while I was out of the house. He was hiding under my fridge for a bit before making it back into the laundry closet. I ordered a humane trap but it won't be here till tomorrow. In the meantime, my apartment management has given me glue traps. I prefer not to use them although it does took like it's easy enough to free them with vegetable oil once they get stuck.

Apartment management is supposed to send over some people to check for cracks and holes and fill them in but they are taking their sweet ass time.
Just a FYI, the Mouse Trap board game won't help you here either.

In case you were thinking about it.

Just a FYI, the Mouse Trap board game won't help you here either.

In case you were thinking about it.
...you know I've never thought too hard on it before, but at the same time it's oddly comforting to have this confirmation it wouldn't work rather than always wonder

I think the pull-up minigame in FFVIIR took me longer than the Midgar section in the original game.

Boy forgot how rough OG Ratchet and clank was. That and Ratchet was a bit of an ass. Tho while it takes a minute for mobility options the level design is tight enough that it doesn’t horribly overstay it’s welcome enough to make the jank outweigh the fun. Also why am I playing this on my series s tonight instead of focusing on xbc3 XD. Oh right felt too late to start that

Wasn’t there a deals board or am I having a brain fart

Anyway sparks of hope is half price on Amazon US deal of the day. I was expecting this a bit earlier (black friday) but still got it by end of year!

Holy shit I didn't know Nathan Lane was on Famiboards

sooo, theres no way Nintendo isn't releasing a new mainline Mario game next year to cash in on the movie hype right?
I keep thinking there will be a Mario game of some kind near it. If nothing else Mario Kart Wave 4 DLC should line up.

Sometimes I'm not entirely sure that the Switch is real and that I didn't hallucinate the whole thing.

Metroid Dread actually happening? Fully 3D Kirby? The Mario 64 sequel I'd wanted since 1996? The return of Wii Sports?

Like, imagine if you told someone in 2015.

Sometimes I'm not entirely sure that the Switch is real and that I didn't hallucinate the whole thing.

Metroid Dread actually happening? Fully 3D Kirby? The Mario 64 sequel I'd wanted since 1996? The return of Wii Sports?

Also Xenoblade becoming a high-profile RPG series, a new Zelda becoming a cultural touchstone for the industry, Nintendo becoming the lead console for many third parties again, a dude named Bowser leading NOA while Bill is AWOL, Metroid Prime 4 ffs, classic series like Final Fantasy and Ninja Gaiden returning to Nintendo, literally every third-party Smash character...

It's been a hell of a console gen so far.

It's one of the great tragedies of gaming that Iwata didn't get to see the Switch come to fruition. He spent the final months of his life laying the groundwork that would catapult Nintendo back into the stratosphere, and the years since have vindicated his brilliance.

He may not here to share it with us, but we're living and playing his vision.

I'm pretty sure the amount of runs it took me to escape in Hades was fewer than the number of runs I did in Returnal without ever beating the first section lmao

I liked what Returnal was going for but found the difficulty too frustrating. Hades makes it very easy to do "one more run", and also gets way easier relatively quickly once you increase your starting health and unlock a Death Defiance or two
Maybe I just suck at Hades, then, because I probably did 30+ Hades runs (many of them ending very quickly, lol) and got to the final boss only one time (didn't beat him), while in Returnal I think I beat the game in 15-20 runs. Something about the combat in that game just really worked for me. I found Hades to be quite a bit harder, personally.

Wasn’t there a deals board or am I having a brain fart

Anyway sparks of hope is half price on Amazon US deal of the day. I was expecting this a bit earlier (black friday) but still got it by end of year!

It got removed(the board I mean). I’m tempted. Was waiting for the gold edition to drop in this range but it seems it was a small print

Soul Hackers 2 on PS5 is 25€ and I'm very tempted to buy it, but at the same time it's a game I'd very much rather play on Switch so I don't know what to do.

unnamed.jpg

I think at this point I'll get DQ next week, bit of a bummer as the Dragon Quest Man™️ but that gives me time for other things

Good morning! It's a snow day AND Big Run. Might do all the winter tracks on Kart 8 DX, too.
Good morning! We got a lot of snow here too. I had to pick up my friend and give them a ride to our Gloomhaven session because their car couldn't make it out of their driveway.

Just saw the Mario movie Mushroom Kingdom v Mario Odyssey Mushroom Kingdom comparison discourse and honestly the comparison is so lacking in media literacy and basic critical thinking skills that I am about done with my entire weekend and may just go back to bed to escape how dumb that particular discourse is

Just saw the Mario movie Mushroom Kingdom v Mario Odyssey Mushroom Kingdom comparison discourse and honestly the comparison is so lacking in media literacy and basic critical thinking skills that I am about done with my entire weekend and may just go back to bed to escape how dumb that particular discourse is

What's this in relation to?

I just bought Bayonetta 3 in a store that had the weirdest pricing method ever. Some games that were released years ago had prices way above their original MSPR, but Bayo 3, a very recent release that is usually priced at 50 euros or more? 40 euros, of course! I mean, don't mind if I do...

Also Xenoblade becoming a high-profile RPG series, a new Zelda becoming a cultural touchstone for the industry, Nintendo becoming the lead console for many third parties again, a dude named Bowser leading NOA while Bill is AWOL, Metroid Prime 4 ffs, classic series like Final Fantasy and Ninja Gaiden returning to Nintendo, literally every third-party Smash character...

It's been a hell of a console gen so far.
To add even more to the insanity, the Switch era is also the generation in which:

• No More Heroes got brand new installments (plural!).
  • Deadly Premonition got a sequel.
  • Two indie studios were handed the keys of Nintendo IPs... and one of said IPs was The Legend of Zelda!
  • A Nintendo console got a game developed by PlayStation Studios (and it has a very prominent PlayStation logo on the cover to prove it)
  • Capcom and Bandai Namco initially were like "A portable Nintendo system? I dunno, sounds like a potential flop to me"...
  • ... but freaking Bethesda almost immediately went "Oooh, I want me some of that Nintendo action".
  • Mario had a crossover with a western-developed property. It was the Rabbids. Via a turn-based strategy game. And it was critically and commercially successful.

The whole thing sounds like the fever dreams of a madman, really.

What's this in relation to?
Somebody posted Mario Odyssey's Mushroom Kingdom alongside the Mushroom Kingdom from the film with the caption and the comparison basically led to people saying that Illumination are better level designers than Nintendo

like I love the aesthetic of the film but designing spaces for animation is radically different to designing spaces for gaming in

People don't seem to know we can be impressed by and praise something without denigrating something else; and people's multimedia analysis skills also seem to be lacking.

Didn't had much time to comment here before.. but, Crash Team Rumble (Wumpa League) looks REALLY fun! It's basically Splatoon's Clam Blitz, but with platforming mechanics! I'm hoping there will be a single player/offline campaign of sorts though, especially because these kind of games being online only, basically have an expiration date.. also, hoping that is a retail game! But considering we're probably getting it only by June, it's likely there will be more than just online multiplayer.

Sucks that a Switch and PC versions will have to wait again, in typical Toys for Bob fashion... but this one at least has the justification of ironing out the cross-play, so we'll see!

Also! Nicholas Kole confirmed that Catbat is non-binary! Great to see diversity and representation in the Crash Bandicoot series!

Fjne2XfXkAAPCTJ

People don't seem to know we can be impressed by and praise something without denigrating something else;
This would require people to demonstrate a minimum level of differentiated evaluation skills. I think that's too much to expect from many/probably most people online.

Illumination are better level designers than Nintendo
I wish I could say I was surprised, but unfortunately people more often than not really don't know what good level design is. (Setting aside the inherent silliness of comparing the world design of an animated movie to a video game)

To add even more to the insanity, the Switch era is also the generation in which:

• No More Heroes got brand new installments (plural!).
  • Deadly Premonition got a sequel.
  • Two indie studios were handed the keys of Nintendo IPs... and one of said IPs was The Legend of Zelda!
  • A Nintendo console got a game developed by PlayStation Studios (and it has a very prominent PlayStation logo on the cover to prove it)
  • Capcom and Bandai Namco initially were like "A portable Nintendo system? I dunno, sounds like a potential flop to me"...
  • ... but freaking Bethesda almost immediately went "Oooh, I want me some of that Nintendo action".
  • Mario had a crossover with a western-developed property. It was the Rabbids. Via a turn-based strategy game. And it was critically and commercially successful.

The whole thing sounds like the fever dreams of a madman, really.
Adding to these:
  • SuperFX chip emulation for SNES games
  • They pulled unreleased games Star Fox 2 and Sky Skipper out of the vault
  • You can play most of Nintendo's arcade catalog now
  • Mario can hold a gun now
  • Mario Kart 8 got 48 new tracks
  • Bayonetta 3 exists, and a prequel side-story is on the way
  • Square-Enix was there at launch with a mid-90s influenced art style game
  • Square-Enix and Nintendo collaborated to bring Trials of Mana and Live A Live to the west for the first time
  • We sorta got NintenFlix like people had wanted during the Wii era

Soul Hackers 2 on PS5 is 25€ and I'm very tempted to buy it, but at the same time it's a game I'd very much rather play on Switch so I don't know what to do.
HOLD

Last edited:
Wonder why they fail at day and date releases on Switch. Beenox brought CTR and all its DLC day one to Switch with really good performance.
I'm guessing it's just lack of manpower to deal with so many SKUs at once.. even back in the Skylanders days, they had a lot assistance and yearly titles were alternated between TfB and Vicarious Visions.

But hey.. if hypothetically, the Switch/PC versions releases a couple of months later by a dicounted price like happened with Crash 4, it's fine by me! (we're not even sure if it is F2P anymore as originally intended.. if they will sell at retail or have maybe the multiplayer split for free or something; we gotta wait for details!).

Last edited:
So I thought that Valiant Hearts: Coming Home revealed at TGA was just a mobile port.. but apparently it was a sequel. And that's amazing, I loved the first one and will definitely play this one.

Wonder if it ever comes to Consoles hmm

Family Christmas parties are already starting to get cancelled due to illness yayyyyyyyyyy isn’t it so fun

the comparison to a space designed for film is daft.
This reminds me of that time when EA made that James Bond spin-off, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. One of the game's big selling points according to EA was that they had appointed as level designer someone that had previously designed sets for multiple Bond films and that was going to make the game extra CINEMATIC and SPECTACULAR and REAL and... and one of the many criticisms the game faced was the fact that the levels were incredibly dull, because making sets for a film and creating video game levels are completely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom