• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
considering a last minute swap in the raccoonies

which 2022 release do you feel is more unfinished: switch sports or splatoon 3?
Switch Sports. Splatoon 3 has a considerable campaign and plenty of content to enjoy afterward. Switch Sports rules but it’s really just seven minigames with matchmaking.

Animal Crossing's sudden stop in development really showed the cracks to me. I can understand the cadence of the updates being thrown way out of whack due to the pandemic (hence the massive 2.0 update) but that they ended support only 1.5 years after launch for a 40m+ selling game is still crazy to me.
They've probably started working on the next Animal Crossing game for the Switch 2. After ACNH success Nintendo probably wants a sequel out ASAP.

You know, Very few musical one man performances can make a bigger impact than a solid organ accompaniment. Back in college my music class brought in a member of the organ players association of America and in our lecture auditorium he did a live guided improv accompaniment to the entirety of the original Phantom of the Opera and a laurel and hardy short. Boy that left an impact. Also synths developed more from organs than pianos. Electric organs always had a ton of modifiers and modern ones are basically synths with more fixed external inputs. Tho what I really need to do is get back to bass which I made more progress on than the organ to be fair DX

Pretty sure we could make a Mad Libs with this for the Switch generation 😂

Nintendo probably doesn’t have enough staff to do “keep adding DLC until the game buckles or people stop paying” models for their games. It’s also the same team that works Splatoon so as soon as AC was “done” they probably rolled people onto Splatoon 3 and planning for the next AC title.

they share a producer but little staff
The bigger issue for EPD is that with 800 to 1000 game development staff you can't have all that many things in full development at a time, and that limits the scope and consistency for a live service model, where games have hundreds or even thousands of staff dedicated to maintaining, updating and balancing an ongoing product. I don't think EPD needs a radical overhaul, but a larger pool of staff to draw from might mean they can strike a better balance between full production, prototyping and ongoing support.

The other thing we shouldn't lose sight of is that in some cases, like Switch Sports, Nintendo's content rollout may well be based on information we don't have access to. Perhaps Nintendo settled on an update schedule with one eye on the game's sales curve and engagement metrics, and late November was the window they felt would work best. Maybe they had one eye on new Switch owners entering the ecosystem during September, October and November on the back of major releases, and updating Sports on the tail end of that is designed to help bring the game to the attention of those new users.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is 7 years old today. Hail to the King, Monolith Soft's underappreciated masterpiece.
I appreciates it.
m2p3H3m.jpg

We were robbed!
Inb4 a streaming service adapts it into a 6 feature length episode series
Actually..

As much as I love movies, as much as I cherish the memory of seeing it in a theater for the midnight premiere with a group of rabid fans in makeshift cosplay, I gotta admit a 6-episode miniseries would've been the way to go.

The first book and parts of the second and third were so thoroughly and lovingly adapted in the movie but by the end of book one it was already like a half hour or so, forcing them to speedrun through everything else to keep it under two hours. Several characters' whole arcs were condensed into a couple shout-out lines near the end, arcs that were really important to fleshing things out in the book (including the main character's arc). A series where each book gets the same treatment that book one got would've been phenomenal. Same director, same cast, same VFX, same composer, everything there was grand. It would've been incredible.

And to do it now you'd have to recast and I'm not sure how well I'd respond to that.

Having played neither I'm gonna say Switch Sports because they released it before finishing giving the sportsmates a soul

Just to put my previous post in perspective, what games will actually be ready for Switch 2 launch? If it launches late next year or in 2024, the following won't be ready for launch year.
  1. 3D Zelda, assuming Switch 2 doesn't launch alongside TOTK
  2. Xenoblade
  3. Mario Kart (I doubt Nintendo would be working on MK8D DLC, Mario Kart Tour, AND Mario Kart 10 simultaneously)
  4. Mainline Splatoon
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Pokemon Gen 10
  7. Mainline Kirby
  8. Pikmin (if Nintendo doesn't launch the Switch 2 with Pikmin 4)
  9. 2D Mario/3D Mario (if the Switch 2 launches in 2024 one of these won't make it)
That's a lot of major games. I'm kinda surprised Nintendo is continuing post launch support with as many games as they are. Animal Crossing New Horizons ending support earlier is probably a good thing, because that means they're probably launching a sequel sometime in the next few years.

Just to put my previous post in perspective, what games will actually be ready for Switch 2 launch? If it launches late next year or in 2024, the following won't be ready for launch year.
  2. Xenoblade
  3. Mario Kart (I doubt Nintendo would be working on MK8D DLC, Mario Kart Tour, AND Mario Kart 10 simultaneously)
  4. Mainline Splatoon
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Pokemon Gen 10
  7. Mainline Kirby
  9. 2D Mario/3D Mario (if the Switch 2 launches in 2024 one of these won't make it)
That's a lot of major games. I'm kinda surprised Nintendo is continuing post launch support with as many games as they are. Animal Crossing New Horizons ending support earlier is probably a good thing, because that means they're probably launching a sequel sometime in the next few years.
launching with rhythm heaven, donkey kong, and dragon quest xii babyyyyyy

2. Xenoblade
  4. Mainline Splatoon
  5. Mario + Rabbids
  6. Pokemon Gen 10
  7. Mainline Kirby
What games were ready for launch for OG Switch besides BotW and a bunch of third party ports?

I really wouldn't be surprised if the hooks for Super Switch are TotK and some previously impossible 3rd party ports that'll drive home that this Switch has *Clarkson voice* powerrrr and the new Mario, the new Kart, etc etc will come way later. People will still be playing Splatoon 3 but in higher resolution, Square's probably got some rad stuff up their sleeve (@jirou mentioned DQXII, which'd be huge), Metroid could be a fantastic showcase of the system's capabilities, etc etc

Also this probably doesn't serve either point but you said "mainline" Splatoon and that got me thinking: I don't want a new mainline Splatoon, I want a single-player open world Splatoon now. Do it, Nintendo.

A hardware launch between late 2023 and late 2024 will limit what they can have ready by then.

We can rule out stuff like Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Kirby getting big mainline installments anytime soon thanks to their recent entries. Pokémon will no doubt have a game ready for holiday 2024 but I'm unsure how fast they'll adopt new hardware into their production pipeline so I'd put it as cross gen for now.

Depending on when it launches we could also rule out 3D Zelda and Pikmin as cross gen games unless the hardware launches with them. The most likely cross gen game to me is Prime 4 but we have no idea when they're targeting its release.

Animal Crossing and Smash just ended DLC in late 2021 so I wouldn't put either as likely until 2025. (Sakurai could be involved in an Uprising remaster/remake too) Same goes for Mario Kart which is getting DLC through the end of 2023, so even with an ambitious turnaround for the next mainline title I think puts us in 2025 or 2026.

What that leaves us with is mainline 2D/3D Mario, the obvious casual tech demo game (like with Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, 1-2 Switch), and potential for old franchises to return like Star Fox and Donkey Kong.

I've actually thought dragon quest xii might target the next nintendo system since it was announced, they specifically joked about not being able to say the platform and I honestly doubt (read hope) it's a PS5 exclusive. Would be very weird for the japanese market. But I also doubt it's Switch exclusive, especially now that it's almost 2023 and we don't even know what the hero looks like.

In 2020 I thought it was gonna come out in 2023 but now I'm thinking maybe fall 2024 on all platforms which would include a new Nintendo system.

What games were ready for launch for OG Switch besides BotW and a bunch of third party ports?

I really wouldn't be surprised if the hooks for Super Switch are TotK and some previously impossible 3rd party ports that'll drive home that this Switch has *Clarkson voice* powerrrr and the new Mario, the new Kart, etc etc will come way later. People will still be playing Splatoon 3 but in higher resolution, Square's probably got some rad stuff up their sleeve (@jirou mentioned DQXII, which'd be huge), Metroid could be a fantastic showcase of the system's capabilities, etc etc

Also this probably doesn't serve either point but you said "mainline" Splatoon and that got me thinking: I don't want a new mainline Splatoon, I want a single-player open world Splatoon now. Do it, Nintendo.
I specified launch year. The Switch launch year had Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The Switch 2.... I'm not sure exactly. A LOT of titles won't be ready in time.

I specified launch year. The Switch launch year had Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The Switch 2.... I'm not sure exactly. A LOT of titles won't be ready in time.
Ah gotcha, sorry I missed that.

But yeah I still think with the amount of third party momentum the Switch has, an upgrade could be carried pretty well for a while by biggies like Square. Plus Nintendo must have some big stuff coming that we're not considering, right? New hardware or otherwise, they aren't gonna have just like a one or two year gap where there aren't solid releases. I hope. 😅

I'm trying to be optimistic here so I hope my tone doesn't come across as argumentative, that's really not my intent.

Ah gotcha, sorry I missed that.

But yeah I still think with the amount of third party momentum the Switch has, an upgrade could be carried pretty well for a while by biggies like Square. Plus Nintendo must have some big stuff coming that we're not considering, right? New hardware or otherwise, they aren't gonna have just like a one or two year gap where there aren't solid releases. I hope. 😅

I'm trying to be optimistic here so I hope my tone doesn't come across as argumentative, that's really not my intent.
I guess Nintendo could rely on third parties, but they've never done that in the past. I'm thinking we get 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4, and Animal Crossing 6 within the launch window. Maybe Luigi's Mansion 4 as well? Then pad out the schedule with smaller releases and some sort of multiplayer title (which will probably be Mario Kart 8 Ultimate). Year 2 is where things get interesting in terms of what they can release, AKA not a whole lot.

I guess Nintendo could rely on third parties, but they've never done that in the past. I'm thinking we get 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4, and Animal Crossing 6 within the launch window. Maybe Luigi's Mansion 4 as well? Then pad out the schedule with smaller releases and some sort of multiplayer title (which will probably be Mario Kart 8 Ultimate). Year 2 is where things get interesting in terms of what they can release, AKA not a whole lot.
They could also fill in gaps with Mario spin offs, there'll be some Pokémon game, maybe Monolith even have something since they've been fast. A Sakurai game, Paper Mario, Donkey Kong, some Zelda spin-off (or another Warriors maybe?), something by NDCube, Kirby. Those would all be possibke right? It's hard to say given we don't know when it'll come out and what's coming until then...

Well also there are potentially two Metroid Prime games in the pipeline, if Prime Remastered is a thing. Plus Sakurai made that little fuckin comment about Kid Icarus. And we haven't seen what they're doing with Star Fox yet.

I could see Super Switch launching in May with TotK, Pikmin 4 being a really pretty summer game, then the one-two punch of 3D Mario and Prime 1 Remastered as the big holiday push, and the gaps between those filled with third party stuff and things like you mentioned Luigi's Mansion, which would be a great Halloween game. Then I could see year two having Yoshi, Star Fox, another Animal Crossing like you said, I'm gonna bring up Kid Icarus again LOL, and Prime 4. Wouldn't be too bad. Especially with things like DQXII, whatever else Monolith might be working on (it's still rumored that they have another big game coming as IIRC Honne-san wasn't in the credits for XB3 and it's been rumored he set up his own team within Monolith), and I'm doing wishful thinking here but maybe it's time for a new Nier, ya know stuff like that.

Also just for good measure and because it's me:
Chrono Trigger

I'm leaning towards new hardware next year in part because of software. Zelda and Pikmin 4 become showcases for the new hardware with better performance than the existing hardware, plus relatively recent games (as well as older evergreens) would be seamlessly available. On top of that, other high profile titles for 2023 and 2024 presumably include the 2D and 3D games from EPD 8, the next 2D Mario from EPD 10, and Metroid Prime 4. If new hardware is available in the first half of 2023, then there's no real software issue because those games will provide the spine of Nintendo's release slate to transition people onto new hardware.

I don't think we're going to see much exclusive software for the new system from Nintendo initially, and I don't think that's a problem. The last decade has been dominated by older titles relaunched on new hardware still being powerful system sellers - Minecraft, GTA V, Last of Us, Mario Kart 8 DX - and I see Nintendo embracing that trend. I think the key issue is simply ensuring there's a steady variety of games easily available to play on the next system, and I don't see that being a problem. The obvious point to mention here is that, while I expect new hardware to functionally be a successor, I expect Nintendo will market it as the latest member of the Switch family.

GameBoy Color 2 will be sick
It’s funny you mention that because I was just imagining how the Internet would’ve handled Project Atlantis if that had as many internet sleuths paying attention back in the day as we have with Drake or whatever the name is currently.

I have absolutely no interest in a pan that is too high-strung for the dishwasher

unless you're made of wood you're going in there fuck you
Goddamn right. My family is asking what kind of kitchenware I want for Christmas and all I tell them is "if it's not dishwasher safe, I don't want it". Tupperware, plates, pots, pans, cutting boards, knife sets, cutlery, baking utensils, all of it. Hell the only thing that doesn't go in a dishwasher is a stone pizza pan, and even the just needs hot water and a scraper to clean.

here you have it folks, turn based games are only for canadians

This tracks (as well as everyone else who identified as Canadian as a result)

40,000+ people in my county in North Carolina without power due to domestic terrorism from Christian fascists pissed about a drag show.
...Christ what the fuck. Do I even want to know?

Actually, I should mention this:

My family has a history of heart problems so I was worried until yesterday.

Glad that I got that out of the way.
Glad to hear you're okay buddy

Hey friends, I'm finishing up some Christmas shopping for my mom and would love your advice.

If you recall, I got her Animal Crossing: New Horizons during the pandemic when she was bored at home, and she got herself a Switch Lite at that time. She has never been a gamer, pretty much just would play Mario Party with me growing up and that was it. Well she instantly fell in love and has since put over 2,000 hours into the game. I tried getting her into Stardew Valley, but that was a bit too challenging for her with the time constraints each day. Last year, I bought her a Switch OLED for her birthday (which was one day before release) so she could play on the TV and detach the joycons, and then Happy Home Paradise only made her fall more in love with the game.

Lately, she's been slowing down a bit on AC since admittedly you can't do much more after that extreme number of hours played haha, so I'm deciding between two games to get her next, keeping in mind that her only real basis for extensively playing a game is AC: NH. Do you think Yoshi's Crafted World or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker would be a better purchase for someone like her?

I've played Captain Toad and I really enjoyed how it can be super easy or a little trickier depending on the completion rate you're going for. I also like the lack of a jump button, as it would allow my mom to focus more on the puzzles without getting as caught up in tough controls.

At the same time, Yoshi's Crafted World has an artstyle I know she'd like, it's slow paced and you can take your time. Some of the bosses could maybe be tough at first, but I think she could get the hang of it! What do we think, Fami?

We're also getting a new RPG from Onion Games!

I liked this quote from their recent announcement:

"Indie game developers are basically bizarre creatures that are constantly running, laughing, and playing chess, all while bleeding profusely."

Hey friends, I'm finishing up some Christmas shopping for my mom and would love your advice.

If you recall, I got her Animal Crossing: New Horizons during the pandemic when she was bored at home, and she got herself a Switch Lite at that time. She has never been a gamer, pretty much just would play Mario Party with me growing up and that was it. Well she instantly fell in love and has since put over 2,000 hours into the game. I tried getting her into Stardew Valley, but that was a bit too challenging for her with the time constraints each day. Last year, I bought her a Switch OLED for her birthday (which was one day before release) so she could play on the TV and detach the joycons, and then Happy Home Paradise only made her fall more in love with the game.

Lately, she's been slowing down a bit on AC since admittedly you can't do much more after that extreme number of hours played haha, so I'm deciding between two games to get her next, keeping in mind that her only real basis for extensively playing a game is AC: NH. Do you think Yoshi's Crafted World or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker would be a better purchase for someone like her?

I've played Captain Toad and I really enjoyed how it can be super easy or a little trickier depending on the completion rate you're going for. I also like the lack of a jump button, as it would allow my mom to focus more on the puzzles without getting as caught up in tough controls.

At the same time, Yoshi's Crafted World has an artstyle I know she'd like, it's slow paced and you can take your time. Some of the bosses could maybe be tough at first, but I think she could get the hang of it! What do we think, Fami?
I think the transition from Captain Toad to Yoshi will be easier long term; specifically like you said the lack of a jump button, no timer for the levels, and controlling the camera with a separate joystick is easier I feel to learn in Captain Toad as opposed to Yoshi

40,000+ people in my county in North Carolina without power due to domestic terrorism from Christian fascists pissed about a drag show.
I missed this while skimming the thread, what happened??

Goddamn right. My family is asking what kind of kitchenware I want for Christmas and all I tell them is "if it's not dishwasher safe, I don't want it". Tupperware, plates, pots, pans, cutting boards, knife sets, cutlery, baking utensils, all of it. Hell the only thing that doesn't go in a dishwasher is a stone pizza pan, and even the just needs hot water and a scraper to clean.
Yall rich mfers out here with your fancy ass dish washing machines meanwhile I'm out here gettin swole af in my forearms

Holiday Jazz Day 4 - John Coltrane “My Favorite Things”

Posting a little earlier because everyone will need 14 minutes to get through this. Probably one of the most famous Jazz records of all time. Not sure it’s even a Christmas song per se, but the Sound of Music version has been placed in that genre. So we will stick with it. Best part for me is the McCoy Tyner vamping throughout. Modal jazz is so pleasing to listen to. Also, Coltrane went with soprano saxophone on this, so don’t let anyone tell you that instrument is only for cheesy smooth jazz.

@Red Monster Elvin Jones is the drummer on this, and I think you will find that the drum is similar to the Vince Guaraldi drumming.

Trying to keep this to one track per artist, but had to put in this amazing Greensleeves rendition from Coltrane:

Need to find out if the Deluxe Edition content for Dragon Quest Treasures is even unique to the edition. It sounds like it’s just some stuff you can already get in the game but I can’t find any more info.

Do you think Yoshi's Crafted World or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker would be a better purchase for someone like her?
Tough call. I think either one would be fine, but I’ll throw my vote in for Captain Toad. It’s chill and your mom can take her time exploring the cozy puzzle box levels.

Posting a little earlier because everyone will need 14 minutes to get through this. Probably one of the most famous Jazz records of all time. Not sure it’s even a Christmas song per se, but the Sound of Music version has been placed in that genre. So we will stick with it. Best part for me is the McCoy Tyner vamping throughout. Modal jazz is so pleasing to listen to. Also, Coltrane went with soprano saxophone on this, so don’t let anyone tell you that instrument is only for cheesy smooth jazz.

@Red Monster Elvin Jones is the drummer on this, and I think you will find that the drum is similar to the Vince Guaraldi drumming.

Trying to keep this to one track per artist, but had to put in this amazing Greensleeves rendition from Coltrane:

That is so good. That’s the stuff right there. I’ve heard this track before - I’m pretty sure it’s in one of those Spotify playlists I mentioned. But this is the first time I’m really listening to it.

Superb.

As someone who has checks 95 hours on Switch Sports, it's Switch Sports.

My favourite Early Access game.

Can never go wrong with some John Coltrane. And I have no idea how My Favorite Things came to be considered a Christmas song, but somehow it is! Which I'm okay with, as a nice jazzy waltz is a good bit of genre variety this time of year when you're constantly hearing the 'classics' on the radio.

Ugh. Definitely have a mouse in my apartment somewhere. Caught a glimpse of the little bastard last night. Pulled back my shelf today and saw it had been munching on a package of chinese sausage I had stored.

This is beyond fucked up. The bullshit republican rhetoric that fuels these crazy shit stains need to fucking stop.
There needs to be a consequence for managing to transplant like 80 million people into an entirely different reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom