• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Jun. 2022|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Quake from the sale due to recommendations here

Doom Eternal is on sale too, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up on PS5 instead. I'll need to figure out if I can play it without gyro aiming 🤷‍♂️

The big summer eshop sale has started in the EU. I expect other territories too (or soon).

All the usual first party games are 33% off as usual. A few things on my wishlist have come up with little savings, nothing amazing.

Please list any good finds!

Well, it's the first time EU gets 33% on New Pokemon Snap, so...

Anyway, here are some finds:
  • Castlevania Anniversary Collection 80%
  • Contra Anniversary Collection 80%
  • OlliOlli World 33%
  • New Super Lucky's Tail 50%
  • Tony Hawk 1+2 50%
  • LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga 20%
  • FEZ 40%
  • Death's Door 35%
  • Hades 40%
  • Spiritfarer 67%
  • Lego City Undercover 77%
  • Catherine: Full Body 70%
  • AI: The Somnium Files 80%
  • Megaman 11 67%
  • Kaze and the Wild Masks 66%
  • Murder by Numbers 66%
  • Moving Out 75%
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 65%

Anyone have thoughts on Puyo Tetris 1 vs 2?
I own and love the first game, but never picked up the sequel at full price because at least on the surface it seemed like more of the same.

Is the game markedly different/better/worth it on sale?

And to contribute to the thread, here are
some good deals on games I can recommend (US Eshop)

1. Monster Sanctuary $6.79
You like 3vs3 Pokémon-like monster battling mixed with Metroidvanias? Big skill trees with lots of build diversity? Nice amount of content to work through? This game is rock solid, and I had a blast with it!

2. Underhero $5.09
A 2D adventure RPG with timing-based battles ala the Paper Mario series. Wonderful aesthetics, really really funny/witty/great dialogue and characters, with a cool story. Challenging but not impossible. Pretty decent length. Good music. Highly recommended!

There’s a ton on sale and I might actually pick a few things up for the first time in a bit :)

Anyone have thoughts on Puyo Tetris 1 vs 2?
I own and love the first game, but never picked up the sequel at full price because at least on the surface it seemed like more of the same.

Is the game markedly different/better/worth it on sale?
I like both games but Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 does feel more like a Capcom-style update to the first game than it does a full fledged sequel. There's another story mode, a couple of new characters, some tweaks here and there, etc. The big addition is the "Skill Battle" mode that Sega was clearly intending to be the major hook for the game, but it's pretty broken (at least when I was playing it) and didn't grab me. If it's super cheap I think it's worth it if you approach it like it's DLC for the first game, but otherwise I don't think you're missing a whole lot.

Picked up Nobody Saves the World since it was on sale. Very early so far, but I've been enjoying it. I like the loop of completing quests and unlocking new forms.

Picked up Nobody Saves the World since it was on sale. Very early so far, but I've been enjoying it. I like the loop of completing quests and unlocking new forms.
I picked it up too. Seems super fun and polished. Loving it so far.

I was very dissapointed with the demo performance of the Road 96 back in the launch time, but I have seen videos now that the game seems to be pretty much fixed. Might buy it from the sale now.

Bought Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 1+2+3 for 50% on the current sale. Pretty good ROM collection IMO. Good emulation for the games I've played so far, includes both EN and JP ROMs, and some additional stuff. The UI could be a bit better, but it works.

I also bought the Mega Man retro collections on the sale, because I was curious. I knew there were some lag, but I had no idea the lag was so severe! Can't recommend that!

I bought unmetal which is on sale and the game is not only very funny, but also great to play. Very much recommended.

I've been really enjoying Mysteries Under Lake Ophelia, but the switch firmware update tonight (or maybe something else?) wiped my save lol—I was just about to buy the last rod and I think was getting close to some sort of end, maybe 2 or 3 hours in. I'll probably play back to that point sometime soon, but it's a bit of a bummer . . .
SteamDescLogo.png

I'd still highly recommend it to anyone who thinks the premise (a PS1-style fishing game with perhaps something else beneath the surface) seems interesting. It sticks hard to the fishing game premise in that there isn't really much interaction with the small world beyond casting and reeling the rod, selling or cooking fish, and buying new equipment, but there's some charming writing and great atmosphere and some clever secrets.
I do think there must be some "actual" horror-esque element eventually, but the thalassophobic terror of the dark, way-too-deep lake kept me quite scared from the start, and I found the first few casts into the deeper parts of the lake to be at least as stressful as anything in any "real" horror game.

Bryce Bucher is definitely one of the most exciting solo devs to me at the moment—dude is only 21 and is putting together these beautiful little games and seemingly seeing some decent success with them. Playing this game with its simple structure and weird hidden bits and beautifully prerendered menus and loading screens, I really feel like he "gets it."
It might be a weird comparison, but the scale and mechanics of this game and his last one (Fatum Betula, also on switch!) really capture the spirit of the mid-00s Flash game scene to me. Would love to discuss that more sometime, though maybe this isn't the place for it.

Check it out! It's like 4 USD for the rest of the month and not too long at all and, selfishly, I want there to be an audience for these sorts of games to keep getting ported to the platform

I have a bunch of games I have never touched and many that I have only touched, and I started feeling kind of bad about constantly buying new games. I need to clean up my wishlist from "looks kind of cool" to "I really want to play this" I guess!

Yeah just pre-ordered Neon White, it has pretty great reviews. Should be a great palate cleanser as I’m currently playing Immortals Fenyx Rising and it’s getting a bit too repetitive 2/3rds-ish in

Btw today is the last day to grab the Panzer Dragoon Remake at 90% off. Played that yesterday and honestly it’s barely worth the gold coins, there’s just not much to do here. I don’t think it’s close to the same league than Star Fox or other rail shooters, besides the aesthetics and the camera turning mechanic it doesn’t really stand out. You only have two shots, the regular one and holding the button for the homing multi shot. Switch version doesn’t have in-game achievements so besides strictly going for 100% efficiency in all difficulties and the chceat mode thing that’s pretty much it, but I don’t even feel like doing that since the game itself is kinda barebones. Also its long cutscenes make it take like 9 GB of space which is kind of big for what it is. If the sequel and RPG one are coming I hope those are truly worth the hype

Right now on Steam they are doing an event that has a ton of demos of upcoming games. I went through a played a few of them that are targeting an eventual Switch release and have some impression below.

Cult of the Lamb - Enjoyed it. The town management stuff seems neat, but the combat felt a little basic. [Switch Release: August 11th]
ss_89d47a4ad019aa21c799e3c1a73b8de57d350a5c.1920x1080.jpg

Frogun - Liked the aesthetic of the pixelated 3D. Levels seems well made and the mechanics of the frog gun are fun. Very much seems to appeal to those who like to collect things. Off the top of my head, I think each level tracks collection of coins, red coins, emeralds, time to beat level, and beating without getting hit. It might be a little tedious though, as I was trying to get everything and consistently coming up short, specifically the coins. [Summer 2022]

ss_bf8a626870d47ebcb7689f19d1dc28c290dafbbd.1920x1080.jpg

Foretales - This could be a neat game, but the demo didn't completely convince me. Feels similar in concept to Hand of Fate 2, but I lean toward enjoying how things work in HoF2 more. The basic setup is that you have a hand of resources (Gold / Food / Items / Fame / Ect. ) and a hand of skills / abilities that your characters have. You are using both of those to work through a location deck and achieve the mission objective. Each card you play at a location has a different result. The tension comes from resources being limited and your ability cards will only be refreshed (redrawn) if you rest, which can only be done a limited amount of times. [Release: Summer 2022]

ss_1d472e70397f1c29eaac252bf75b40a1f5b1ba22.1920x1080.jpg

Akurra - Probably the favorite of the demos that I played. It's basically a block pushing puzzle game, but the addition of an explorable world and metroidvania elements adds a lot charm. [Release: Dec 2022]

ss_5629b506363ca0d442056d62e51f605818ea2f5d.1920x1080.jpg

Lone Ruin - From the creator of 'Hell is Other Demons', a really nice looking twin stick shooter that seems adjacent to the Arena Survival genre that Vampire Survivors has made popular. In this you actively aim and shoot, so there is more involvement that just avoiding enemies, but it does have the same exp collecting and upgrading system. The final release will also feature a more traditional roguelike mode in addition to the 'Survival' mode that is featured in the demo.

ss_31cbb82c5978c13a2e85a5f6c7cf6101b9703355.1920x1080.jpg

Some new sales popped up during the last day or so on the EU eShop at least (according to DekuDeals). Most notably:
  • Celeste - 75% off (lowest price ever, and the first sale in more than 2 years!)
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered - 80% off

Some new sales popped up during the last day or so on the EU eShop at least (according to DekuDeals). Most notably:
  • Celeste - 75% off (lowest price ever, and the first sale in more than 2 years!)
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered - 80% off
Don't forget Towerfall, from Celeste creator, 75% off also and one of the best multiplayer games on the system.

Right now on Steam they are doing an event that has a ton of demos of upcoming games. I went through a played a few of them that are targeting an eventual Switch release and have some impression below.

Cult of the Lamb - Enjoyed it. The town management stuff seems neat, but the combat felt a little basic. [Switch Release: August 11th]
ss_89d47a4ad019aa21c799e3c1a73b8de57d350a5c.1920x1080.jpg

Frogun - Liked the aesthetic of the pixelated 3D. Levels seems well made and the mechanics of the frog gun are fun. Very much seems to appeal to those who like to collect things. Off the top of my head, I think each level tracks collection of coins, red coins, emeralds, time to beat level, and beating without getting hit. It might be a little tedious though, as I was trying to get everything and consistently coming up short, specifically the coins. [Summer 2022]

ss_bf8a626870d47ebcb7689f19d1dc28c290dafbbd.1920x1080.jpg

Foretales - This could be a neat game, but the demo didn't completely convince me. Feels similar in concept to Hand of Fate 2, but I lean toward enjoying how things work in HoF2 more. The basic setup is that you have a hand of resources (Gold / Food / Items / Fame / Ect. ) and a hand of skills / abilities that your characters have. You are using both of those to work through a location deck and achieve the mission objective. Each card you play at a location has a different result. The tension comes from resources being limited and your ability cards will only be refreshed (redrawn) if you rest, which can only be done a limited amount of times. [Release: Summer 2022]

ss_1d472e70397f1c29eaac252bf75b40a1f5b1ba22.1920x1080.jpg

Akurra - Probably the favorite of the demos that I played. It's basically a block pushing puzzle game, but the addition of an explorable world and metroidvania elements adds a lot charm. [Release: Dec 2022]

ss_5629b506363ca0d442056d62e51f605818ea2f5d.1920x1080.jpg

Lone Ruin - From the creator of 'Hell is Other Demons', a really nice looking twin stick shooter that seems adjacent to the Arena Survival genre that Vampire Survivors has made popular. In this you actively aim and shoot, so there is more involvement that just avoiding enemies, but it does have the same exp collecting and upgrading system. The final release will also feature a more traditional roguelike mode in addition to the 'Survival' mode that is featured in the demo.

ss_31cbb82c5978c13a2e85a5f6c7cf6101b9703355.1920x1080.jpg
That was a really helpful and interesting read, thanks very much for all these impressions!

Thanks for the recommendation. I've wavered on Towerfall before because I would be playing in single player only. Do you think it would still be worth it?

IMO it is. It even has a challenge mode alas Break the Targets in Smash Bros with a medal system which put to test the use of some special movement abilities.

I recorded this one one some time ago but it's a good example of it. It's really well thought and really challenging.

It's a loaded month, both with big titles and smaller stuff, and it seems likely there will be some surprise releases during the month as well, with all the showcases happening.

It could change, but here's what I'm thinking:
  • Sunbreak for sure.
  • Three Hopes eventually, but I'm going to try and wait till I have time to actually play it.
  • On the fence about Mario Strikers. I'll try the upcoming Trial and see if it convinces me.
That's already a lot for one month, but Souldiers is also looking really nice.
Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition has been announced for June 23rd

Finished Nobody Saves the World in about 20 hours. Maxed out all forms and completed all the side quests and side dungeons. The only thing I did not do was replay the whole game on new game plus. I enjoyed the gameplay loop overall, though it loses some of its luster once there are no more forms to unlock (thankfully, you should be pretty late in the game for that), so I wish there had been a few more. I did like most of the forms that were available though. I also liked exploring different active and passive ability combinations. I do have to say that overall, the music isn't great. The game basically has the same song for the majority of the game, and while it isn't offensive, it's a bit dull. I also thought it was dumb that you can't progress your form quests while doing the main dungeons. It really didn't feel like that restriction was necessary. Overall, I did really enjoy it, and played about 3/4 of my total playtime last weekend when I first purchased it. It has a very addictive quality to it, where you really just want to unlock the next form and play around with it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've wavered on Towerfall before because I would be playing in single player only. Do you think it would still be worth it?
It’s probably better if you get this game for multiplayer, but single player has some fun modes like a smash style target attack and a hoard mode. I would say it’s more a nice side than the main course of the meal if that make sense. The article below does a nice explanation:

I would add the Lion's Song (-50%), a point and click adventure game into the recommendation list.
Game is quite short (like 7-8 hours or so) but the animation is really smooth and fleshed out. The sepia color palette is something I personally love since it emulates the appearance of vintage photos, but YMMV. The slice-of-life stories is fine, not sth grand but relatable and personal.
Overall a good game to play before sleep.
the_lions_song_ep4_screenshot_01.png

I would add the Lion's Song (-50%), a point and click adventure game into the recommendation list.
Game is quite short (like 7-8 hours or so) but the animation is really smooth and fleshed out. The sepia color palette is something I personally love since it emulates the appearance of vintage photos, but YMMV. The slice-of-life stories is fine, not sth grand but relatable and personal.
Overall a good game to play before sleep.
the_lions_song_ep4_screenshot_01.png
This has been in my wishlist for ages, but I have never found time for it.

ElecHead releases today!

It was one of the highlights of the last Indie World Direct.

There's a few reviews in already - looking very good so far.

I've played a couple of hours of ElecHead and it's excellent so far - a really fun puzzle platformer! It's got an old school look but with very polished gameplay and level design. The movement is fluid and responsive, and the puzzles are smart and satisfying. Very addictive and highly recommended so far 😊

Last edited:
Switchup did a followup on Baldo and the updates/improvements it has received. Interesting watch on game design. Seems like the game is more enjoyable to play....but long, like 60-80 hours

Switchup did a followup on Baldo and the updates/improvements it has received. Interesting watch on game design. Seems like the game is more enjoyable to play....but long, like 60-80 hours

This so the best stuff from Switch Up. Too many reviewers just do the initial review and don’t touch a game again. Not saying that is bad since there are so many and there is something to keeping the initial review, but I love how they do these post patch reviews for games that were interesting but plagued with technical issues or content cuts.

Lots of stuff on sale at the moment (NA eshop). Was just browing Deku Deals and saw the following for lowest price ever:

Hades - $14.99 40% off
AI: The Somnium Files $7.99 80% off (good time to prepare for the sequel)
Ape Out - $3.74 75% off
Death's Door - $12.99 35% off (any thoughts on this one? I thought I remembered hearing it was decent)
Tangle Tower - $4.99 75% off
Murder by Numbers - $5.09 66% off
Eastward $19.99 20% off
Castlevania Advance Collection $13.39 33% off
West of Loathing $5.83 47% off
When the Past Was Around $2.97 65% off
Hypnospace Outlaw $6.99 65% off
TOEM $11.99 40% off
Chicory $13.99 30% off

And a lot of other stuff lol. I've played all those there I listed except for the Castlevania collection (but played the originals) and Death's Door, so if anyone wants impressions on any of those, feel free to ask.

@Niraj I’m thinking of buying Chicory. I’m given to understand it’s like a top-down Zelda but instead of battling monsters you’re painting stuff? How does the paint mechanic work exactly?

I think I’m set on buying KoF 98 and Lego Builder’s Journey, but I’d like to see people weigh in on some other games I’m considering:
  • I played MH Rise while it was free for NSO subscribers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to a part where you had to defend a base from getting overrun, and I attempted and failed that mission thrice. I’m only planning to play on my own, so my question is, is that part doable on your own? I believe it was part of the Team Missions. Would I be able to instead continue the story by playing the Solo Missions?
  • Was thinking of getting either Ender Lilies or Shinsekai Into the Depths for my next metroidvania. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Ender Lilies but I’m a bigger fan of the deep-sea aesthetic of the latter.
  • I’ve never finished DmC3 so I wanna take a whack at it. My problem is my R button has gotten wobbly and gets unresponsive a lot. How much would that affect my play?
Also thinking of getting Slay the Spire, Okami and Pato Box but that depends on how much I shell out for the other games first.

@Niraj I’m thinking of buying Chicory. I’m given to understand it’s like a top-down Zelda but instead of battling monsters you’re painting stuff? How does the paint mechanic work exactly?

I think I’m set on buying KoF 98 and Lego Builder’s Journey, but I’d like to see people weigh in on some other games I’m considering:
  • I played MH Rise while it was free for NSO subscribers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to a part where you had to defend a base from getting overrun, and I attempted and failed that mission thrice. I’m only planning to play on my own, so my question is, is that part doable on your own? I believe it was part of the Team Missions. Would I be able to instead continue the story by playing the Solo Missions?
  • Was thinking of getting either Ender Lilies or Shinsekai Into the Depths for my next metroidvania. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Ender Lilies but I’m a bigger fan of the deep-sea aesthetic of the latter.
  • I’ve never finished DmC3 so I wanna take a whack at it. My problem is my R button has gotten wobbly and gets unresponsive a lot. How much would that affect my play?
Also thinking of getting Slay the Spire, Okami and Pato Box but that depends on how much I shell out for the other games first.

So you actually get different abilities throughout the game that utilize the paint mechanic. So as an example, one you get fairly early on in the game is one that lets you swim inside any painted area, like in Splatoon. So that lets you get past certain barriers or small spots you can't walk through. Sometimes there are plants that will grow if they are clear of color, or will shrink away when you put paint on them, stuff like that. So yeah, like you said, there are no enemies in the game (aside from some bosses), so it's mostly just exploration. There are some side quests and other instances where characters will ask you to draw something for them, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to fail, so don't feel like you have to be really artistic (I'm certainly not).

Slay the Spire is really great if you haven't played it, as is Okami. I think your enjoyment of Okami might depend on how much you enjoy the first part of it though, as it's a pretty long game.

@bixente cool, I might end up checking that one out.

Ton of things on my DekuDeals whishlist that are at all time lows... I already have more to play than I do time, but I might pickup something that my kids might like. Luckily the big summer sale goes to July 7th, so after the rumored direct and any shadow drops.

Games that I'm considering:

Fez (-40%) ($8.99)
Chicory: A Colorful Tale (-30%) ($13.99) - I'm thinking this would be great for kids.
Slime Rancher: Plortable Edition (-40%) ($14.99) - Already can play via Gamepass, but I'd play it a lot more on Switch for sure.
Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (-30%) ($13.99) - Always been curious about this one and it doesn't go on sale often.
Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon (-15%) ($16.99)
Roundguard (-63%) ($7.39) - I've been wanting it for a while and has been updated a ton since it originally launched.

Also, in case anybody missed it, Into the Breach is getting a free update to 'Advanced Edition' similar to what they did to FTL. It will be adding a ton of new stuff and really refreshing the game. The original is one of my favorite games so being able to go back to it with a bunch of new stuff to experience is exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom