• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP LTTP: Doom (2016)

(Late to the party)

juuso

Koopa
I bought the 2016 Doom for PlayStation 4 a few years ago, played it once and never came back. I couldn't aim, I couldn't see where the enemies are, I was playing at a normal difficulty and dying multiple times in the first level. Maybe it was a good game, but definitely not for me. I figured I just couldn't play FPS games.

And then, a month or so ago, I bought it again for Switch.

If you ask me, the most important legacy of the Wii U (and let's be honest, probably the only one) was the rise of the popularity of gyro aiming, featured most notably in Splatoon. I am not a huge Splatoon fan, but did play the first one and enjoyed one special aspect of it. The fact that I could actually aim.

Often my preference for the Switch version of a multiplatform game is due to the portability, but with Doom, it was the gyro aiming. Now I am nearing the end of a version of the game I can actually play.

I do not care about the plot, I am slightly put off by the hellish aesthethics, and let's be honest, the Switch version looks rather poor (at least in handheld mode, which is the only way I've played). Despite all this, the game feels great to play.

Everything is, at least for me, about movement. The enemy movements and attacks are signaled clearly and are slow enough for you to react to, and while doing so, you shoot them and a couple of other enemies that are conveniently placed to support your flow. Yes I am shooting a gun (usually a shotgun, which is great for my poor aim), but on a fundamental level the rhythm of it all feels more like a platformer to me.

This game is great, you should all play it. I'll continue by wishlisting Doom Eternal.

I absolutely loved this one.

Its fast paced, arcadey, over the top combat that rewards aggressive play and trims all the fat was such a refreshing change of pace as most of the rest of the AAA industry trended towards realism and drudgery.

It showed you didn't need gimmicks or padding, just a satisfying core gameplay loop and the confidence to commit to it.

A modern classic, one of the best FPS games of recent years, and one of my favourite games on Switch.

Doom 2016 is a wonderful game. Eternal is fantastic too - once that game gets its hooks into you, there's nothing else like it.

I bought the 2016 Doom for PlayStation 4 a few years ago, played it once and never came back. I couldn't aim, I couldn't see where the enemies are, I was playing at a normal difficulty and dying multiple times in the first level. Maybe it was a good game, but definitely not for me. I figured I just couldn't play FPS games.

And then, a month or so ago, I bought it again for Switch.

If you ask me, the most important legacy of the Wii U (and let's be honest, probably the only one) was the rise of the popularity of gyro aiming, featured most notably in Splatoon. I am not a huge Splatoon fan, but did play the first one and enjoyed one special aspect of it. The fact that I could actually aim.

Often my preference for the Switch version of a multiplatform game is due to the portability, but with Doom, it was the gyro aiming. Now I am nearing the end of a version of the game I can actually play.

I do not care about the plot, I am slightly put off by the hellish aesthethics, and let's be honest, the Switch version looks rather poor (at least in handheld mode, which is the only way I've played). Despite all this, the game feels great to play.

Everything is, at least for me, about movement. The enemy movements and attacks are signaled clearly and are slow enough for you to react to, and while doing so, you shoot them and a couple of other enemies that are conveniently placed to support your flow. Yes I am shooting a gun (usually a shotgun, which is great for my poor aim), but on a fundamental level the rhythm of it all feels more like a platformer to me.

This game is great, you should all play it. I'll continue by wishlisting Doom Eternal.
I had a similar experience with DOOM 2016. I bought it on PC, tried it, sort of liked it, but it never clicked. I played it on Switch, with gyro, and I loved it. The movement and the pacing of combat is fantastic. I took the graphics and performance over gyro for DOOM Eternal, and fell in love with it as well after that (even if it is a bit bloated).

It was a great game but I had some issues with it namely the repetition and easy difficulty. It was one of the best soothers that you could play in 2016 but it left something to be desired.

Doom Eternal simply put is one of the best games ever and it completely annihilates 2016, so I can't really ever go back to it again. It well surpassed my expectations and Id managed to create one of the biggest leaps in quality ever between entries. Play it OP! Playing Eternal for a few hours makes 2016 look like a bland tech demo.

loved this one on switch, playing amazingly with the gyro controls. i have to get eternal one of these days.

Just played this and Eternal back to back last month. Just like you, I bounced off it the first time without giving it a fair shot. Tried it again on Gamepass for the XSX.

Ended up liking it quite a bit. Really felt like Doom with the large, complicated level maps and constant action. However I did think there was something just slightly unmemorable about it. I pretty much used the same weapons all the time, the boss battles weren't great, the hell barons were too easy etc. Didn't really enjoy scouring the levels for hidden items. Loved the art style though - from Mars to hell, it was everything a classic Doom should be.

Then I played Eternal. Now THAT is one of the greatest shooters ever pressed to disk. I can barely believe how they took the same core ideas and elevated them to something I'll never forget. And on Series X it's absurd looking, the best game I've ever seen graphically (better than Forza, Gears 5 and Flight Sim on XSX for me).

Couldn't go back to Doom 2016, but the sequel to Eternal has shot to the top of my anticipated lists.

Beat it on PS4, double-dipped the second they announced gyro aiming for the Switch version. It's a dream game to have on the go, especially after they added arcade mode. I wholeheartedly recommend it too.

Still haven't played Eternal despite already owning on PS4 as well, partially because of the lack of gyro. Soon, though.

I haven’t played it on Switch, but it’s inarguably a great game, and a worthy installment in one of the medium’s greatest and most important franchises.

My only real complaint is that the levels are too long. The bite-sized levels of classic Doom probably aren’t feasible in a modern AAA 3D game, but it is a substantial contrast from the style and identity of those original games. Given how pervasive and frenetic the combat is, the length of the levels can be somewhat exhausting.

Have played through both modern Doom games on Switch multiple times and recently did a Nightmare run of both. Made it through! (Not the Eternal DLC though - the DLC on nightmare is no fun.)

They're some of the best games I've played to date, and having also played both versions on PC after the Switch version I didn't feel like I was missing out by not using mouse and keyboard. On the contrary - I jerryrigged Steam to play both games with Switch-style controls on the Switch Pro Controller xD . Much more comfortable than mouse and keyboard, and as accurate for me.

They thing I did miss in the Switch version - especially in Eternal, having to read so much high-contrast info - was the framerate and resolution. These two Doom games are the primary reason why the Switch feels long in the tooth at this point and why I've been actively hoping for more powerful hardware since 2020.

Anyone who's enjoyed 2016 and Eternal owes it to themselves to dive into the Quake remaster on Switch. Gyro controls, reams of excellent content, and game feel that even the modern Dooms haven't surpassed.

I had a similar experience with DOOM 2016. I bought it on PC, tried it, sort of liked it, but it never clicked. I played it on Switch, with gyro, and I loved it.

They're some of the best games I've played to date, and having also played both versions on PC after the Switch version I didn't feel like I was missing out by not using mouse and keyboard. On the contrary - I jerryrigged Steam to play both games with Switch-style controls on the Switch Pro Controller xD . Much more comfortable than mouse and keyboard, and as accurate for me.

Interesting to hear opinions about PC version vs Switch because I would tend to prefer gyro to mouse & keyboard. Admittedly it's been a while (5+ years) since I've played a shooter on PC 😅. And thanks for the Quake recommendation!

My only real complaint is that the levels are too long.

Have to agree on this. It's especially annoying when replaying levels to find secrets, which I otherwise enjoy.

Opinions on which one of the new Dooms is better seem to be split, I'll have to make sure I play Eternal too and form an opinion of my own!

I think the Switch port is great but I’m way too addicted to its full glory in 2k 60fps on my PC to even attempt a mobile playthrough.

Still get you though, DOOM 2016 and its GOD TIER sequel are far and away the best modern FPS games (imo). Bias: military sim elements turn me way off, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear and Metal Gear Solid are the extent I’ll tolerate faux soldierism. Gimme grueling demon hordes any day!

Doom 2016 is the only FPS that I actually enjoyed playing. The adrenaline rush you get when the music kicks in is something else.

I preferred the overall tone and atmosphere of 2016 to Eternal, even though Eternal's got better movement mechanics like the air dash and more varied environments.

I bought 2016 on a whim on PC and it reminded me of when I played Half Life 2 for the first time, just an amazing shooter with no other nonsense bogging down the experience.

I also played Doom 2016 recently on Switch and absolutely loved it, even if I sometimes got a little dizzy while playing...

I can't stress enough how great Quake Remastered is coming from Doom 2016/Eternal. Especially if you thought Eternal was overcomplicated (like I did), Quake is a marvel of elegance. Enemies are perfectly designed to keep you moving, every weapon only has one firing mode but they all feel great, reams of great single player content, gyro aiming, and it's only 10 bucks.

arnold-schwarzenegger-do-it-now.gif

I can't stress enough how great Quake Remastered is coming from Doom 2016/Eternal. Especially if you thought Eternal was overcomplicated (like I did), Quake is a marvel of elegance. Enemies are perfectly designed to keep you moving, every weapon only has one firing mode but they all feel great, reams of great single player content, gyro aiming, and it's only 10 bucks.

arnold-schwarzenegger-do-it-now.gif
Agreed. Despite being a huge Doom fan, I never played Quake until the Switch port. It’s wonderful. The missions are perfectly paced, and the verticality adds a dimension to the level design that classic Doom didn’t have. It’s also richly atmospheric in a way that’s closer to Doom 64 than Doom 1 or 2. The metal music blasts away in the main menu, but it’s all eerie ambience and creepy sound effects during gameplay. The enemies can be a bit sponge-y - I miss the sheer force of impact the shotgun has in Doom - but it’s a sublime game that holds up exceptionally well.

Personally I adored Eternal.

It retained everything I loved about the 2016 game while adding enhanced mobility, a more 90s-esque art direction, and more varied levels.

While different, both are amazing and some of the most fun I've had on Switch.

I thought Doom 2016 was a revelation but that Eternal destroyed it.

Eternal is really a game where you have git gud for it to shine though because there are a lot of different mechanics to master. Probably the best pure shooter ever.

Neither are particularly relaxing affairs though. This is cortisol adrenaline dump gaming best played in short bursts... especially Eternal.

I played through the last level in TV mode, and the resolution is actually alright. The 30 FPS obviously hurts, but it looks pretty good for a Switch game. I know there's some Digital Foundry videos on the game, and I'll check those out just out of curiosity despite already having played the game.

I made the thread late in the game, but only beat it now. I was surprised to see how long it took to get into a boss fight in the game, and in the end those didn't quite work as well as the core gameplay which was a bit of a letdown. I guess I was expecting something competely ridiculous like a Bayonetta boss, but they only managed to be like 30% of that.

I played through the last level in TV mode, and the resolution is actually alright. The 30 FPS obviously hurts, but it looks pretty good for a Switch game. I know there's some Digital Foundry videos on the game, and I'll check those out just out of curiosity despite already having played the game.

I made the thread late in the game, but only beat it now. I was surprised to see how long it took to get into a boss fight in the game, and in the end those didn't quite work as well as the core gameplay which was a bit of a letdown. I guess I was expecting something competely ridiculous like a Bayonetta boss, but they only managed to be like 30% of that.
Yeah, they do become a tad underwhelming considering all the really cool monsters you slay before them.

Also, neither here nor there, but its sequel Eternal on Nightmare is (perhaps) the best gaming I've ever enjoyed ever. Never has it felt better to step into the demon arena!

Yeah the second game has much better boss fights, the final one in particular is utterly epic.

Back
Top Bottom