• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
An important question to consider is when and how they will announce the leaked TotK Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo; and what, if anything, that announcement will be in conjuction with. The Champion amiibo were announced alongside the first trailer for BotW's DLC back during E3 2017, but so far we have zero indication of TotK getting any notable post-launch content, so it isn't as simple.

Maybe a topic for its own thread, but in writing out my last post it’s wild to think about how much first impressions matter for games vs other mediums. I think it’s a combination of the absurd amount of games out there to choose from, the often higher price of entry, and the way games in general have been marketed for decades now. The amount of yourself you inevitably pour into games is probably the biggest factor.
Gaming is also a medium where you have to actively involve yourself in making the thing happen, and can take 5x-20x the length of your average film to finish. When you're planning to throw down $570 to play the new Final Fantasy, it's natural you're going to get more emotionally invested leading up to launch then someone who's gonna spend $10 for a ticket to the next MCU film. If you drop nearly six hundred bones for a game you ultimately don't enjoy, the opportunity cost for that mistake is catastrophic.

Are there credible rumors backing up 2d mario? Or is it something that is sort of being willed into existence lol
A little of both:
1) Hiring calls for a 2D action game from Kyoto 4 years ago.
2) The fact it’s been over 10 years since the last action 2D Mario game
3) Synergy of the brand coming off Mario movie - would be fairly bad management not to capitalize off it.

the current discussion being if 2D Mario is enough of a used napkin to shadowdrop is pretty funny to me

tbh I'm not sure who's right either

A little of both:
1) Hiring calls for a 2D action game from Kyoto 4 years ago.
2) The fact it’s been over 10 years since the last action 2D Mario game
3) Synergy of the brand coming off Mario movie - would be fairly bad management not to capitalize off it.
4) Octo Expansion designers missing from Splatoon 3, not credited on anything since 2018. Including these who were in the Directors of 2D Mario games. I would say this one is the biggest smoke from all of these.

Torn between fighting to the death about 2D Mario or just putting the thread on ignore because there's no joy in this any more.

This is why Nintendo should file for bankruptcy and never trouble us ever again.

So we're just expecting Nintendo to magically fill in 1½ years worth of games?

They crammed absolutely everything that exists and is known to the public in the first 6 or so months of the 1st year, leaving only Metroid Prime 4 left between July 2023 and November 2024? They're hoping to carry 1½ years on short term announcements of remasters, remakes, and the elusive 2D platformer?

Nah. Unacceptable

So we're just expecting Nintendo to magically fill in 1½ years worth of games?

They crammed absolutely everything that exists and is known to the public in the first 6 or so months of the 1st year, leaving only Metroid Prime 4 left between July 2023 and November 2024? They're hoping to carry 1½ years on short term announcements of remasters, remakes, and the elusive 2D platformer?

Nah. Unacceptable
That’s basically what they’ll do if the Switch 2 isn’t coming until holiday 2024 lol. Ports, remasters, Metroid Prime 4, 2D Mario, 2D DK, maybe 2D Zelda? And some other small titles to carry to switch 2

An important question to consider is when and how they will announce the leaked TotK Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo; and what, if anything, that announcement will be in conjuction with. The Champion amiibo were announced alongside the first trailer for BotW's DLC back during E3 2017, but so far we have zero indication of TotK getting any notable post-launch content, so it isn't as simple.
Wait, what?

Wait, what?

giphy.gif

bad youtuber, no free content

Forget youtube. I have been saying I wanted those two amiibo since before the game came out. No content fishing here, legit the first I have heard of any of it.
It's in the amiibo thread, apparently there's
two currently unobtainable Paraglider fabrics in Tears of the Kingdom, one called "Princess Zelda" and one called "Demon King" I think

It's in the amiibo thread, apparently there's
two currently unobtainable Paraglider fabrics in Tears of the Kingdom, one called "Princess Zelda" and one called "Demon King" I think
Got a link to the thread. Because if this is true it just made my weekend. :p

I just got off the phone with Mr. Furukawa; he says he won't greenlight the production of another Nintendo Direct until Nate "The Hate" Drake admits that Super Mario Sunshine is AT LEAST an okay video game at it's core.

That’s basically what they’ll do if the Switch 2 isn’t coming until holiday 2024 lol. Ports, remasters, Metroid Prime 4, 2D Mario, 2D DK, maybe 2D Zelda? And some other small titles to carry to switch 2
If the next 18 months had new Pikmin, new 2D Mario, new DK, Metroid Prime 4 and new 2D Zelda as the spine I would be pretty happy. Crazy to think about it but we haven't had a new DK since 2014, a new 2D (single player) Zelda or new Pikmin since 2013, and no new Mario Bros since 2012.

Obviously, there'd be more besides, but that's a nice long swansong for Switch for my tastes.

Lukas said it: the big giveaway for Mario is the fact that key design staff for the series haven't been working on Splatoon.

Obviously, we've no such insight into who would actually make DK at EPD, beyond the team being based at EPD 8 in Tokyo but not being the same as the 3D Mario team.

If the next 18 months had new Pikmin, new 2D Mario, new DK, Metroid Prime 4 and new 2D Zelda as the spine I would be pretty happy. Crazy to think about it but we haven't had a new DK since 2014, a new 2D (single player) Zelda or new Pikmin since 2013, and no new Mario Bros since 2012.

Obviously, there'd be more besides, but that's a nice long swansong for Switch for my tastes.
yep, there's a clear potential core even if we're entering a slower period

DK is happening eventually but I'm not sure when. 2D Mario ought to be sooner. 2D Zelda seems like a meme. Even still Metroid Prime 4, 2D Mario, Pikmin 4, and maybe Tomodachi will fill the space well

DK is happening eventually but I'm not sure when. 2D Mario ought to be sooner. 2D Zelda seems like a meme. Even still Metroid Prime 4, 2D Mario, Pikmin 4, and maybe Tomodachi will fill the space well
I'm getting the feeling the DK project has been moved to the next system, maybe as a launch window title a little after 3D Mario (which I feel is the launch game.)

Yeah Tomodachi is probably another one in development - I think some of the lead staff were on Miitomo and haven't done anything since, so that could be ready to go this year or next.

They put out a post on the news feed just yesterday for PAL regions. No new info beyond the mention of the “Rescue Corps” (video is just a 30 second cut of the February Direct trailer; no new footage) though, but it does reaffirm the release date. Zero chance of a delay. Definitely going to get the next major trailer this month, whether it comes from a direct or a YouTube shadow drop within the next few weeks.

IMG_4934.png
IMG_4935.png
That’s reassuring ;)

At this point am not sure which of these is happening more, June Direct or 2D Mario. Both are locked, as a matter of fact the 2D Mario in question is getting revealed this month. Easiest win of my Direct timeline.

Yeah Tomodachi is probably another one in development - I think some of the lead staff were on Miitomo and haven't done anything since, so that could be ready to go this year or next.

We discovered some of the PG.07 staff (Miitomo/Tomodachi) also on Dr. Mario World. But series director Takahashi and the IP in general have been missing for a long time. It seems like it would just be a matter of time for the next incarnation to release following the success of the last main installment. Next year on Switch 1? Launch window for Switch "2"?

I feel we'll get something entirely different than Tomodachi from the same team. Not even a spiritual successor, not sure if they'll ever use miis again after they were replaced in Switch Sports. Sakamoto always has tons of quirky ideas.

I feel we'll get something entirely different than Tomodachi from the same team. Not even a spiritual successor, not sure if they'll ever use miis again after they were replaced in Switch Sports. Sakamoto always has tons of quirky ideas.

I can't see them losing the branding considering that Tomodachi Collection 1 and 2 were platinum sellers in Japan. The international version Tomodachi Life, of course was a surprise hit - and also perhaps reason to continue the IP. Reinvented and new direction? Sure. But I think the IP stays.

We discovered some of the PG.07 staff (Miitomo/Tomodachi) also on Dr. Mario World. But series director Takahashi and the IP in general have been missing for a long time. It seems like it would just be a matter of time for the next incarnation to release following the success of the last main installment. Next year on Switch 1? Launch window for Switch "2"?
In a post New Horizons world and with so many IP showing good growth it really does feel like a no brainer. I'd put it as my dark horse for late this year, buy maybe more likely in 2024. Personally I hope there's a little more depth (comparative to Tomodachi Life) to whatever they're cooking.

I've taken a pretty hands-off approach to this thread partially due to the stress of my new job but also in the interest of not asphyxiating natural discussions with my own attempts to drive the thread. However, I think that now is a good time to start our first discussion prompt, which I think aligns well with the current direction of the thread.

Prompt: Predict the Nintendo Switch lineup from now until December of 2024 in as much or as little detail as you'd like. The inclusion of expected reveal timing of games in the near future may be appropriate for discussion. Include as many first or third party games as you see fit. Don't worry about sharing all of your thoughts immediately or in a single post.

I'll provide my own response to this prompt soon, but I'd like to let the discussion start on its own and see some ideas flowing.

June 2023
  • TBD - Nintendo Direct
  • TBD - Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope: The Last Spark Hunter
  • 30 - Horseshit Everybody 1-2 Switch!
July 2023
  • TBD - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 5
  • 21 - Pikmin 4
August 2023
  • TBD - Indie World
  • 23-27 - Gamescom
  • 31 - Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass - Side Order
September 2023

• TBD - Pokémon Scarlet and Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - The Teal Mask
  • TBD - Metroid Prime 4 lol jk Metroid Prime 2 and 3 HD
  • TBD - F-Zero 99 F-Zero GX remakester
  • 13 - Nintendo Direct
  • 21-24 - Tokyo Game Show
October 2023
  • TBD - New Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels 2D Mario it’ll be great
November 2023
  • TBD - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door remakester
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope featuring Rayman from the Rayman series
December 2023
  • TBD - Pokémon Scarlet and Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero: The Indigo Disk
  • TBD - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 6
  • TBD - Indie World
  • TBD - The Keighleys The Game Awards
  • Fuck it. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom DLC shadow drop at The Keighleys
January 2024
  • Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World. That’s it.
February 2024
  • 8 - Team February wins for the fourth consecutive year The last Nintendo Direct before the succ is announced
  • 27 - Pokémon Presents
March 2024
  • Metroid Prime 4
April 2024
  • Detective Pikachu 2: Wait Was This Supposed to be a Sequel or a Remake?
May 2024
  • TBD - Indie World
  • Whatever the hell Good-Feel and or Grezzo have been working on
June 2024
  • E3 is dead—long live E3
  • MonkEPD
July 2024
  • If E3 is actually dead, succ reveal presentation
  • HD-2D Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars remake
August 2024
  • Indie World
  • Something that I didn’t account for because I got pretty lazy at the end of this
September 2024
  • Paper Mario: Intelligent Systems Will Finally Commit to Either RPG or Action-Adventure
  • Would Nintendo put 2 Mario RPGs this close to each other? Would they position the release of such a major game this close to a console launch? This is the first console transition I’m experiencing in real time besides Wii U-Switch, which was an anomaly, so I don’t know
October 2024
  • I’m kind of out of my depth here: see above
  • Obligatory Zelda release? Remake? Spin-off?
November 2024
  • 22 - succ release (Black Friday is later than usual this year. Would this affect the exact timing of a holiday release?)
  • First-party launch titles: Nintendo Land 2 (pack-in outside of Japan, maybe in Japan too idk) 3D Mario, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet next-gen complete editions because there’s no way TPC goes 2 straight years without a holiday title (would TPC wait this long to release a complete edition for a mainline game?)
December 2024
  • Can you tell I don’t know how the games industry works?

they ported Miitopia after Switch Sports started development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom