• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please elaborate on why you think Toru Minegeshi is working on Tomodachi? Would love to hear more about that, and any other speculation/theories you have on Tomodachi as well.
It was talked about in first party thread a while ago, in Splatoon 3 AskTheDev he was under EPD7 instead of EPD5 (Splatoon). EPD7 has series like Miitomo and Tomadachi. It's not the greatest theory but it's weird that he is under EPD7 so say at least.

It was talked about in first party thread a while ago, in Splatoon 3 AskTheDev he was under EPD7 instead of EPD5 (Splatoon). EPD7 has series like Miitomo and Tomadachi. It's not the greatest theory but it's weird that he is under EPD7 so say at least.
Interesting. After a bit of surface level research i saw that EPD 7 has released 4 games since 2017. Two 2D Metroid games and two Famicom Detective games, all 4 have collaborations with other studios. Their most recent release is Metroid Dread in October 2021. I'm not sure how big of a role they played during the development of those games, but i think it's still a little too soon for them to release a new Tomodachi game this year? I could see 2024 as a possibility, but at that point maybe Nintendo will make them develop it for their next system.

Also, folks, i have decided to join team June! I BELIEEEVEEE!!!

Finally caught up in the thread and at the risk of opening up old wounds I’m going to give my two cents. The vitriol towards 2D Mario is insane 😂 Did NSMB leave such a bad taste in people’s mouths that a decade later people are doubting 2D Mario’s validity as a tentpole release? I’ve made throwaway jokes about games I don’t like (e.g. Xenoblade, although in my defense, my only complaint with the game was the battle system, and I did play the first one in its entirety), and of course criticism is, and should be, more than welcome in any fandom, but I’ve noticed a widespread dislike for the NSMB series expressed multiple times here since I started lurking 2 years ago. And full transparency, that sentiment is part of why I disappear from here for months at a time) I know it’s just video games, but I’m very insecure, so when people express strong enough dislike for something that I do like, I feel a little bad for liking it. (Don’t worry I’m working on that) Maybe I’m a little biased [looks over at my title on the forum] but 2D Mario is a big deal to me. NSMBWii was one of my first significant gaming experiences and my gateway into the world of Mario, and by extension, Nintendo. NSMB2 single-handedly made me want a 3DS, and I’m willing to bet I’m not the only one.

And to address the point about 2D Mario not having been a leading brand since the NES days, every NSMB game (with the obvious exception of the Wii U entries) sold over 10 million units, and the 2D games are consistently shown alongside the 3D games when discussing the series’s history. Wow that was super ranty and not concise at all, but as someone who doesn’t contribute much discussion here, I just wanted to address something that I feel relatively strongly about.

Okay, that’s all the time I’ve got. I gotta get back to playing The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom on my Nintendo Switch.

I voted for June. Not because I believe in it, but to give Team June hope.
We don't need hope. We are already locked in. We are just waiting for the moment. I proudly serve as a mighty warrior of Team June and will fight until the end. Me, alongside my other allies have a formidable abillities. It's thrilling to be in this thread with my fellow team June supporters to fight against our enemies. As a matter fact, the team June is now leading the poll, it's clear that we are slowly starting to win. It's our mission to win this fight, if we lose, I will sacrafise myself.

Is there a chance we have a Direct announced tomorrow?
We usually don't get Direct announcements on Mondays, it's usually Tuesday or Wednesday with the Direct happening on the following day.

there's a chance that a Direct is announced before the poll is closed in about 53 hours in which case all I can say is whoopsie

Finally caught up in the thread and at the risk of opening up old wounds I’m going to give my two cents. The vitriol towards 2D Mario is insane 😂 Did NSMB leave such a bad taste in people’s mouths that a decade later people are doubting 2D Mario’s validity as a tentpole release? I’ve made throwaway jokes about games I don’t like (e.g. Xenoblade, although in my defense, my only complaint with the game was the battle system, and I did play the first one in its entirety), and of course criticism is, and should be, more than welcome in any fandom, but I’ve noticed a widespread dislike for the NSMB series expressed multiple times here since I started lurking 2 years ago. And full transparency, that sentiment is part of why I disappear from here for months at a time) I know it’s just video games, but I’m very insecure, so when people express strong enough dislike for something that I do like, I feel a little bad for liking it. (Don’t worry I’m working on that) Maybe I’m a little biased [looks over at my title on the forum] but 2D Mario is a big deal to me. NSMBWii was one of my first significant gaming experiences and my gateway into the world of Mario, and by extension, Nintendo. NSMB2 single-handedly made me want a 3DS, and I’m willing to bet I’m not the only one.

And to address the point about 2D Mario not having been a leading brand since the NES days, every NSMB game (with the obvious exception of the Wii U entries) sold over 10 million units, and the 2D games are consistently shown alongside the 3D games when discussing the series’s history. Wow that was super ranty and not concise at all, but as someone who doesn’t contribute much discussion here, I just wanted to address something that I feel relatively strongly about.

Okay, that’s all the time I’ve got. I gotta get back to playing The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom on my Nintendo Switch.
Dude, as the guy who was on the other side of the 2D Mario games thing today I want to clarify that I really like the NSMB games! I've been playing NSLU when I need a break from Zelda. When I was talking about my thoughts about potential marketing strategies, that wasn't coming from a place of not liking the games or not thinking they deserved recognition! I just think that how a game is marketed has a lot to do with what type of game it is; but that isn't a comment on its intrinsic worthiness or it's value as an experience. When I made the comment about it not being a prestige franchise, I just meant that it's not the franchise Nintendo makes "here's what the press are saying look at these 10/10s" trailers for the way Zelda is. It's not the one they expect to be nominated for GotYs and get more press in December that way. But that's not because it's actually a lesser game, it's just a comment on the way the games marketing interacts with the enthusiast press ecosystem. But I definitely didn't mean it to make anyone feel belittled for being a fan of the games, and I hope you didn't feel that way reading it. For what it's worth, I could see Nintendo trying to manage an all new 2D Mario project in a way that gets it that type of acclaim, but I'm confident that it will be an excellent game wherever it lands on the spectrum of family fun marketing to hardcore gamer marketing.

Dude, as the guy who was on the other side of the 2D Mario games thing today I want to clarify that I really like the NSMB games! I've been playing NSLU when I need a break from Zelda. When I was talking about my thoughts about potential marketing strategies, that wasn't coming from a place of not liking the games or not thinking they deserved recognition! I just think that how a game is marketed has a lot to do with what type of game it is; but that isn't a comment on its intrinsic worthiness or it's value as an experience. When I made the comment about it not being a prestige franchise, I just meant that it's not the franchise Nintendo makes "here's what the press are saying look at these 10/10s" trailers for the way Zelda is. It's not the one they expect to be nominated for GotYs and get more press in December that way. But that's not because it's actually a lesser game, it's just a comment on the way the games marketing interacts with the enthusiast press ecosystem. But I definitely didn't mean it to make anyone feel belittled for being a fan of the games, and I hope you didn't feel that way reading it. For what it's worth, I could see Nintendo trying to manage an all new 2D Mario project in a way that gets it that type of acclaim, but I'm confident that it will be an excellent game wherever it lands on the spectrum of family fun marketing to hardcore gamer marketing.
Yeah I get that. I guess my comment was a bit more reactionary than it needed to be. While yes, 2D Mario in the modern era of gaming isn’t the kind of thing critics go nuts over, I feel like Nintendo still treats it as a relatively significant release not only because of its sales potential, but because it’s a mainline entry in its flagship franchise.

Yeah I get that. I guess my comment was a bit more reactionary than it needed to be. While yes, 2D Mario in the modern era of gaming isn’t the kind of thing critics go nuts over, I feel like Nintendo still treats it as a relatively significant release not only because of its sales potential, but because it’s a mainline entry in its flagship franchise.
The thing is the first NSMB game and the Wii one were kind of a big deal. It was everything that came after that. It was just too much of the same art style and music. To me the first NSMB game on the ds is a classic.

Wait a second, is a Direct actually in the cards for next week??
Dunno about next week other than SGF and the investors call being in two. This month is likely as they always have something in June even if it was a partner showcase last year

Gonna keep it real with y'all: unless there's some information I've missed (only been stopping in here randomly since I've been busier than normal), I'm just not feeling a June Direct. I think September is probably the next one.

Iirc, at least two Partner Showcases were announced on a Monday.
Hell, the first ever Partner was announced at 12AM Eastern time on a Monday, so it was even still Sunday at least in most of the US. That was a fun time to be online.

Isn't this week the Xbox Showcase? I think next week makes a lot more sense if it is this month.
Xbox is next Sunday. Thursday night is the SGF opening night live Keighley show.

I don’t expect it but it would be such a power move for Nintendo to decline to be at SGF and then have their own Direct the same exact week.

Can I just say, I really like that Geoff is trying his best with Summer Game Fest, say about E3 what you want but I really liked having all the news and conferences concentrated in one singular week.

Next week: F-Zero remaster tweet drop.

Gamescom: playable F-Zero, Pikmin, 12Switch and Pokémon first dlc.

September: general Direct.

February 2024: general Direct + Switch 2 reveal.

Gonna keep it real with y'all: unless there's some information I've missed (only been stopping in here randomly since I've been busier than normal), I'm just not feeling a June Direct. I think September is probably the next one.
There’s gonna be something this month whether it’s a partner showcase or a mini. They’ve almost never actually skipped doing something in june

Pikmin is my favorite franchise of all time. But I also really love Animal Crossing.

I’d be very happy if we got both Pikmin Direct and Animal Crossing Direct in June/July💚

There’s gonna be something this month whether it’s a partner showcase or a mini. They’ve almost never actually skipped doing something in june
Even in 2020, we technically had the Min-Min Smash Ultimate showcase

This thread:
nothing-to-see-here-explosion.gif

Can I just say, I really like that Geoff is trying his best with Summer Game Fest, say about E3 what you want but I really liked having all the news and conferences concentrated in one singular week.
They're solid shows so long as you set your expectations for them. It's gives a great outlet to smaller devs who don't have the budget or resources to do their own shows. The bigger surprises are just a bonus if they happen. And we get some funny cringe just like the old E3 days every now and then.

Looks like Retro Studios is still hiring for Prime 4. Very curious to see how that coincides with any potential announcements/updates from Nintendo.
Not only they are still hiring, butnthey re very close of surpassing their record of hiring in one year (and theres 6 months to go still lol). I think they at between 17 to 20 already, when their record was set at 25 last year. Just in march i think they hired 6 people, between contractors and full time jobs.

I don't have any confidence in this opinion but I think it's very unlikely Metroid Prime 4 comes out this fiscal year

Not only they are still hiring, butnthey re very close of surpassing their record of hiring in one year (and theres 6 months to go still lol). I think they at between 17 to 20 already, when their record was set at 25 last year. Just in march i think they hired 6 people, between contractors and full time jobs.
I don't have any confidence in this opinion but I think it's very unlikely Metroid Prime 4 comes out this fiscal year
Who even knows what's going on at this point? Maybe it won't be out till like, 2026? Maybe we'll even get another 2D game from Merc Steam before then??

Wow, wasn't aware of that.

Every time Retro hires someone, Prime 4 gets delayed another year. That’s how game development works, I don’t make the rules.

(But seriously I’m confident the game will release in 2024.)

FYI that’s not how it works, people are hired in the name of the most recent public project for security reasons but it’s not inherently what they’re working on or reflects on the projects progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom