• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's already end May, without any announcement from Nintendo
Sony showcase in happening on May 24th
MS showcase is happening on June 11th

I'd say it's safe to assume we are not going to hear anything substantial from Nintendo until end August/early September on time for Nintendo Seattle event + TGS
Outside of E3 Nintendo don't announce their presentations weeks in advance.

It's already end May, without any announcement from Nintendo
Sony showcase in happening on May 24th
MS showcase is happening on June 11th

I'd say it's safe to assume we are not going to hear anything substantial from Nintendo until end August/early September on time for Nintendo Seattle event + TGS
Nintendo presentations have almost always been 1-2 days before it actually begins. Never weeks.

Can we ban Chris Drigg from Twitter until he reports things that I want to hear

facts-brother-so-true.gif

If Dring is right then Nintendo are basically reverting back to being incompetent and potentially fucked up their software pipeline at a key point in time

We'd be back to the darkest timeline

The Dringest timeline.

There still can be a partner direct at end june like last year.

Last year they did the same and still release splatoon 3, bayonetta 3, pokémon scarlet/violet at end year

For example: release a Prime 4 trailer at mid-june

Late june a partner direct with idk, some impossible third party ports? iml, there aren’t too much ps4/xone titles (talking about blockbuster ones) that are realistically porting (in terms of viable/interesting) to switch except from (big maybe) batman collection, borderlands 3 and (this is more a wish) rdr2.

Last year they did the same and still release splatoon 3, bayonetta 3, pokémon scarlet/violet at end year

Late june a partner direct with idk, some impossible third party ports? iml, there aren’t too much ps4/xone titles (talking about blockbuster ones) that are realistically porting (in terms of viable/interesting) to switch except from (big maybe) batman collection, borderlands 3 and (this is more a wish) rdr2.
They could easily afford to do a Partner Direct last year, since, as you mention in your own post they had games announced for the latter half of the year.
Situation is different now.

I would love it if they included the Mario Maker features in the next 2D Mario. It makes more sense than selling Mario Maker separately, and it would reach a wider audience that could have fun creating levels.
Don't think that it would really work, when x thing tries to be a more things in one it not works very well. Let Maker be it's own thing.

They could easily afford to do a Partner Direct last year, since, as you mention in your own post they had games announced for the latter half of the year.
Situation is different now.
Oh yeah, but its also possible there aren’t any (core-oriented) big seller prepared for this holidays (+10 million)

Example: We all here are very excited for Prime 4 but so far (assuming any insider has no real knowledge of contents of the game) its a very nintendo fan oriented title, with a 3-4 million seller range.

Metroid titles recently have a very short marketing cycle. Dread was announced at mid june and release at early october, ~3 months and half. Prime 1 Remaster was shadowdropped. They can release a Prime 4 trailer at mid-june (with a late november date for example) and the a full blowout at september direct.

Nintendo presentations have almost always been 1-2 days before it actually begins. Never weeks.

For Directs, you are right
for "E3" conferences they always anticipated them: Sony and MS confirmed this "E3-like" approach, Nintedo didn't

I think they are approaching their next presentation as a Direct, not as a "E3-like" event and if this is true, their next General Direct should be a September one

We will see!

Now back to Hyrule

I am so sure of this June Direct that it would be cool to do betting special with Famicoins, for example there are few teams, let's assume you are team - General Direct on June 14th, then there is another team - no June Direct or team - Mini Direct in June, team - General in August whatever and other teams. And which team would be right they would receive x amount of Famicoins from other losing teams members. I call this basically upgrade of avatar bets with your currency that you earned. Does this sound good to you? When we would be in June I would make a longer post with details and terms.

Out of curiosity, was the March 2020 Nintendo Direct Mini known to insiders before it aired? I don't remember.
Yes. Grubb was catching a lot of hell when it wasn't officially announced the day prior and had to double check his source and then double down publically that it was still coming (Minis are usually shadowdropped)

I think Grubb has moreso third party sources and not an uncle at Nintendo, for what it's worth.

I would love it if they included the Mario Maker features in the next 2D Mario. It makes more sense than selling Mario Maker separately, and it would reach a wider audience that could have fun creating levels.
This is an astronomically bad take for a number of reasons.

1) It would limit the maker to just that singular Mario style and items compared to the 5 we have in Maker 2 and the unique items made just for Maker.

2) Maker requires a ton of development time and polish to make sure everything works, and even then there's tons of broken shit. Infamously it was discovered earlier this year that if you attempt to push a wiggler out of lowering water with a shellmet it hard locks the game. A simple interaction that has been in the game since day 1 and was only discovered years after launch.

3) It would take away time from developing the core stages and mechanics of that new 2D Mario, and would likely limit them to fit the Maker engine. See Maker 2's campaign compared to literally any other 2D Mario campaign.

Out of curiosity, was the March 2020 Nintendo Direct Mini known to insiders before it aired? I don't remember.

There was noise about a direct of some sort around that time. No one said it was a Mini though until Nintendo dropped it.

I feel you but by that point last year we had a pretty solid Nintendo lineup. this year we have nothing after Pikmin 4

I am so sure of this June Direct that it would be cool to do betting special with Famicoins, for example there are few teams, let's assume you are team - General Direct on June 14th, then there is another team - no June Direct or team - Mini Direct in June, team - General in August whatever and other teams. And which team would be right they would receive x amount of Famicoins from other losing teams members. I call this basically upgrade of avatar bets with your currency that you earned. Does this sound good to you? When we would be in June I would make a longer post with details and terms.
afaik there are no famicoin transactions between members

I just find it hard to process how Nintendo would have left themselves so "vulnerable" to a software gap after Pikmin 4's release. "No major releases after TotK blah blah blah" we can argue semantics over what constitutes major all day, but even systems with infamously dire final years like the wii and gc still had titles announced, and we knew for sure what games were coming on the next system. I really can't think of a time we've been this in the dark about Nintendo's plans. Even the late wiiu/3ds era while the wiiu was dead the 3ds still had quiet a few confirmed titles in the work.

Only thing that Partner Showcases/Mini's are doing great is that the music is good and they have sizzle reel at the end of what was announced.

Partner Showcase Mini theme is now probably be used in Mini's going forward, instead of that 2018 theme.

Last edited:
I just find it hard to process how Nintendo would have left themselves so "vulnerable" to a software gap after Pikmin 4's release. "No major releases after TotK blah blah blah" we can argue semantics over what constitutes major all day, but even systems with infamously dire final years like the wii and gc still had titles announced, and we knew for sure what games were coming on the next system. I really can't think of a time we've been this in the dark about Nintendo's plans. Even the late wiiu/3ds era while the wiiu was dead the 3ds still had quiet a few confirmed titles in the work.

Especially considering how packed Nintendo was with releases from January-May. They could have easily moved either Metroid or Advance Wars out to later this year. Something isn't adding up lol.

All I know with this "no major releases" talk is that as soon as something does get announced the ensuing shitstorm is gonna be something to behold:

- Finally, Scrimblo Bimblo is getting a new title!!! Hold on, that guy said "no major releases"! So Scrimblo Bimblo isn't major, huh?!

- Get real, Scrimblo Bimblo is C-tier at best...

- FUCK YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR!!!

Y'know if we really don't get a Summer Direct I'm gonna be really pissed/confused about that last February Direct. Unlike every other Direct since 2021, this one only had one game reveal, a remaster of Metroid Prime, which was a shadow drop. If they really aren't gonna give us any presentation until September, then why was the last show so dry? Why couldn't they have revealed like, at least two more games for the holidays? Are they really THAT SMALL to the point where they can't announce them more than a couple of months in advance?

Y'know if we really don't get a Summer Direct I'm gonna be really pissed/confused about that last February Direct. Unlike every other Direct since 2021, this one only had one game reveal, a remaster of Metroid Prime, which was a shadow drop. If they really aren't gonna give us any presentation until September, then why was the last show so dry? Why couldn't they have revealed like, at least two more games for the holidays? Are they really THAT SMALL to the point where they can't announce them more than a couple of months in advance?
Because we are having a June Direct, you answered your own question.

I wonder if Nintendo is just skipping the summer season for the annoucement or if they don't have any games at all for the latter part of the year, which would be bizarre. let's wait and see.

This guy has a vendetta or something, doesn't he? He almost sounds mad.

He is getting paid to shit on Directs, something we are doing for free.
Also @switchum already did a better job of that than Dring ever could

It's interesting that the chatter is "it's not happening" instead of "I'm not hearing anything about it". Wonder how that distinction is made.
I was asking this a lot when he first did the "Nintendo has no games coming" tweet. Seems kinda arrogant to me for someone to insist that if they haven't heard about it then it isn't happening. But I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

I think a Mario game with that graphical level would make the heads of half of the internet explode.
New New Super Mario Bros

Lukas' reality bending powers are not to be underestimated. If a June Direct doesn't happen it's just because everyone itt is messing with his vibes.
I actually have a small update to my June 14th/15th theory that I will present right after I finally do this Zelda boss. It makes so much sense that I don't get why I (and seemingly no one else) thought about it.

After taking everybody's words into consideration, it wouldn't make sense to me to not have any first-party game announcements until September even though my gut-feeling was to believe that is when the next major Direct is.

So, something needs to be announced, despite the venue for a post-Pikmin 4 world. Not sure if that will be a Direct or what, but I think that has to happen.

Don't think that it would really work, when x thing tries to be a more things in one it not works very well. Let Maker be it's own thing.
Maker already has a single player campaign, so in my mind it wasn't about inventing a new concept but about optimizing the experiences that are already offered. I actually didn't think about the fact that it could be complicated to develop. Mario Maker has always seemed to me to be a perfect kind of side content for 2D Mario. Like creating tracks on F-Zero or Mario Kart, for example.
This is an astronomically bad take for a number of reasons.

1) It would limit the maker to just that singular Mario style and items compared to the 5 we have in Maker 2 and the unique items made just for Maker.

2) Maker requires a ton of development time and polish to make sure everything works, and even then there's tons of broken shit. Infamously it was discovered earlier this year that if you attempt to push a wiggler out of lowering water with a shellmet it hard locks the game. A simple interaction that has been in the game since day 1 and was only discovered years after launch.

3) It would take away time from developing the core stages and mechanics of that new 2D Mario, and would likely limit them to fit the Maker engine. See Maker 2's campaign compared to literally any other 2D Mario campaign.
I was basically thinking of including Mario Maker 2 in the next 2D Mario, in the same way that the SM3DW port and Bowser's Fury coexist. So obviously it wouldn't be limited to one style, nor would it be a technical challenge. If it was, you're right, it's a lousy idea.

Last edited:
Especially considering how packed Nintendo was with releases from January-May. They could have easily moved either Metroid or Advance Wars out to later this year. Something isn't adding up lol.
For sure, if the plan was to launch the Switch successor this fiscal year say September - November, then it'd make perfect sense why post July is barren. The fact Nintendo is optimistically expecting to sell 15 million units this year, you have to have something you think could be a major software mover in the second half of the fiscal year (October 2023 to March 2024), something that could get a special edition OLED that people would double dip for or upgrade their launch switch for.

Also not only could they have moved Advanced Wars 1+2, Fire Emblem Engage, Bayonetta Origins, Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe, or Metroid Prime Remaster (assuming MP4 isn't launching within the next 12 months), but you could have better paced out the big story dlcs for things like Xenoblade 3 and Fire Emblem Engage. Nintendo has been so good at holding things like MP:R and FE:E back to fill gaps, to have them suddenly be caught pants down is bizarre.

Yeah sure, 2D Mario is going to have a August reveal for a October/November release. Only 2-3 months. Go home Dring, you have no power here.
I think you can get away with a 2-3 month gap for a new Donkey Kong game, 2d or 3d.

I guess Dring is predicting August/September for the next Direct

They probably only did a Direct Mini at all last year because they had already signed contracts with third parties that they would show off their games at a 2022 June direct. Starting to think that this time they didn't sign a contract for summer 2023 so they don't have any contractual obligation to do a even a June direct mini this year.

All I know with this "no major releases" talk is that as soon as something does get announced the ensuing shitstorm is gonna be something to behold:
This is pretty much how it goes. Something like Mario Party is a 10 to 20 million seller on Switch, but it won't be regarded as a major title by a lot of people (and sure, by some metrics, I understand why).

It's not like Nintendo need to announce a ton of games. 3 or 4 to come after Pikmin 4 would be about in keeping with last year.

Perhaps this quiet summer is just a ploy by Miyamoto himself to get people to buy Pikmin 4 just because that'll be their only choice for a new game purchase until the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom