• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven't checked in since page 3, but I have thoughts and comments to long-expired talking points I want to contribute to lol
If TTYD remaster actually happens, would there be any chance of them adding new content to incentivize returning players? Like 3D World adding Bowser's Fury, Xenoblade adding Future Connected, and Pikmin 3's new side stories.

The game had a minstrel who tells parts of the story of the original four heroes who sealed away the Shadow Queen. I'm just saying, you could make a Torna-like campaign out of that.
While I would genuinely love to see more content added to TTYD, I have a feeling because the game itself is already feature complete and it's only con was being locked in time to 2004 that it'll probably be released as is. Nearly two decades and unless you've played the game recently yourself I'm sure more than a few diehard fans are gonna be surprised at how much they feel they're experiencing for the first time. (For instance, the backstory of the original four heroes who sealed away the Shadow Queen lmao)

Nah screw that I wanna see Luigi's Adventure in the Waffle Kingdom

That being said I feel like those games are different due to being more recent or being in a story heavy series with a future and lore which can have further relevance. So unless we're getting a "true" (as elitist as that sounds) third Paper Mario, as in a third RPG with partners I wouldn't bet on it. Much more reasonably I'm wondering if chapter 4 and 7 will have some way in which they are cut down (or maybe there's just fast travel in general)
But also I genuinely want to see Luigi's Adventure so badly, especially if Luigi does have dedicated dialogue and witty comments with disparaging sidekicks haha

I think people are sorta traumatized and conservative on predictions because so many folks got burned on the Switch Pro predictions, multiple times even. That being said, I am of the opinion that we'd have leaks if it were this Summer, though I do think Fall is quite possible.
🙋‍♂️

For the sake of my sanity, I'm expecting news way, way later than makes sense. This way I can be disappointed when there still isn't new hardware in 2026 eventually be delighted that Nintendo is actually showing some movement!

Interesting THQ has something going on in August. Maybe this is the event at long last where TimeSplitters comes back from the dead.

Probably because I like gabagool. (I am half Italian)

Depending on how well I control my accent, people think I'm either from Long Island, Boston, or Jersey.
Say, what are your thoughts on Bruce Springsteen?

since it's a speculation thread

if TTYD and GX remasters are real do you expect them to be closer to the Zelda remasters (HD uprez ) or Prime Remastered? (new textures, models, and lighting)
GX would probably be fine with a simple HD Uprez that allows the original textures to shine through (at least they look pretty phenomenal on Dolphin still when outputting at 1080p).

TTYD is probably the same, it may look a little flat but if the textures are upscaled with a little bit of anti-aliasing, that's about all I expect for them.

We're talking about GX cutscenes?

This is weirdly sexual and I'm not sure what emotions I'm feeling. I don't like it.

Quick, someone look at his office shelf!
Xbox-Phil-Spencer-Nintendo-Switch-Shelf.jpg

Halo on Switch... 🥲

I think it’s very possible we see the Zelda Wii U ports later this year. Maybe not a release, but an announcement in Sep-Oct for a early 2024 release would be perfect to help satisfy people until Switch 2 in mid-late 2024.

Also, we do need dates for some third party stuff. I could see the Level 5 games getting a decent spot in a June/July partner showcase. It would also be a good time for that new Rune Factory project to get properly revealed.

Look.

I really don't care if Nintendo does a full Direct, a mini Direct, a Partner showcase, or just social media drops.

Just show me the New Donkey Kong game already.

Like it could be an email.

Or even a simple text description of the New Donkey Kong. Give me something to work with here Nintendo.

There's a non-zero chance that the holiday 2023 release will be the last major first-party original Switch game.

Those were some dark times but looking back it was hilarious all the same

Edit: I’m obviously referring to the content drought and not the world crisis
I still remember how some thought that the WayForward game at that Treehouse would be Metroid, and it was Bakugan. Truly unforgettable moment. Can't believe that all of this will be 3 years ago in some time.

September: Paper Mario 2 HD - Shut the Fans up for a Thousand Years
October: Animal Crossing: A Less Rubbish Party Game
November: a 2D Mario that might be new (hooray) or could be New (ugh)
December: Rhythm Heaven 10 or whatever

F Zero GX HD is unlovingly punted into January 2024
Dude there are 4 in the span of... technically 17 years but all 4 were in the first 9, I wish we were on our 10th

Hello everyone. I'm Shinya Takahashi, and I'm responsible for development at Nintendo. Thank you so much for playing Nintendo games.

I wanted to speak with you today to give you an update on your backlog that you've been building since March 2017.

We deeply understand the high anticipation that Nintendo fans have for new Nintendo games. We have felt it especially from the passionate words from fans we heard when it became clear that we wouldn't have a Nintendo Direct in June. Ever since you pre-ordered the The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game despite having two games still shrinkwrapped, we've been wanting to give you an update.

As a result of your continued failure to play the games you bought at launch for the full price - although this is very regrettable - we have to let you know that your current backlog progress has not reached the standards we expect from Nintendo fans.

Nintendo always strives for the highest quality in our games and we expect our fans to honour that work by playing our games. If we're not satisfied with our customer's progress, we aren't able to deliver new games that will live up to their expectations.

From this perspective, we have determined that the current state of Nintendo announcements is appropriate and we had to make the difficult decision as a publisher. We have decided to reexamine our announcement schedule itself and change it. Specifically, we have decided to not announce any new games until our customers' backlog progress has reached a level that meets our expectations.

We did not make this decision lightly.

This will essentially mean no new game announcements, so their releases will be delayed from our initial internal plans.

We strongly recognize that this will come as a disappointment to the many Nintendo fans who have been looking forward to the next Nintendo Direct. I'd like to extend my deepest, heart-felt apologies to everyone. It will be a long road until he next time we will be able to update you in a new Nintendo Direct. However, we will continue developing games so that when you have finished your backlog, we will be able to show them to you.

On behalf of Nintendo, I sincerely appreciate your understanding. Thank you very much.

mp4ulckb.png
I somehow missed this one but it's the best post here by far. The fact that you took his words literally word by word. I watched that video multiple times so I still remember most of it. Bookmarked this masterpiece.

'Bakugan with the Wind' lmao, it's fun to look back at, but gosh that was rough
I still remember how some thought that the WayForward game at that Treehouse would be Metroid, and it was Bakugan. Truly unforgettable moment. Can't believe that all of this will be 3 years ago in some time.
This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.

I think it’s very possible we see the Zelda Wii U ports later this year. Maybe not a release, but an announcement in Sep-Oct for a early 2024 release would be perfect to help satisfy people until Switch 2 in mid-late 2024.

Also, we do need dates for some third party stuff. I could see the Level 5 games getting a decent spot in a June/July partner showcase. It would also be a good time for that new Rune Factory project to get properly revealed.
There's also the game Rear Sekai by the rf people, i believe it was different from their rf project. Suppose to release this year.

Interesting THQ has something going on in August. Maybe this is the event at long last where TimeSplitters comes back from the dead.
That's Deep Silver, lol

But yes, they have re-formed the studio yet we haven't heard from that. THQ even rumored to have Second Sight remaster, another game from Free Radical but nothing since then.

All this hardware talk is forgetting the 10 year plan

Ultra Switch will launch March 3rd 2027 as promised

You will play Rhythm Heaven, WarioWare, and Tomadachi Life until then, and you will like it

If any sell under 10 mil (mainly thinking about RH WW, Tomadachi has good potential) Switch 2 is delayed to 2037

(Surely by 10 years they just mean on the market, maybe cross-gen but even then I'm iffy

but what if)

That's Deep Silver, lol

But yes, they have re-formed the studio yet we haven't heard from that. THQ even rumored to have Second Sight remaster, another game from Free Radical but nothing since then.
Dammit, every time I make that mistake 😂 Well, regardless I hope we hear news from Deep Silver/FRD at some point. They've been working on it in silence for three years now since the announcement first came out, wasn't it?

My serious grounded predictions if we get a June mini or what have you.

Pikmin 4

Pokemon DLC

Mario Kart DLC

Splatoon DLC

Zelda ToTK DLC

Id say a Mario & Sonic at the Paris Olympic Games

Maybe Mario Party Superstars 2?

I really dont think we are getting that 2D Mario this year idk I’m not feeling the vibe (I’d love to be wrong though)

I want to turn off my head and say TTYD HD but I think we’ll see the F-zero GX HD first (if the rumors are true)

While I would genuinely love to see more content added to TTYD, I have a feeling because the game itself is already feature complete and it's only con was being locked in time to 2004 that it'll probably be released as is. Nearly two decades and unless you've played the game recently yourself I'm sure more than a few diehard fans are gonna be surprised at how much they feel they're experiencing for the first time. (For instance, the backstory of the original four heroes who sealed away the Shadow Queen lmao)
I'm doubtful that being feature complete would be a reason against new content just because the same could be said for 3D World or the other games I mentioned. But yea, I figured the age of the game and the code would be the bigger reason against it. My specific suggestion of a Torna-like campaign was mostly joking (though it would be more budget-friendly than Luigi's adventure since they can reuse the same areas), but I guess I had some hope any new stuff could act like a last hoorah for this style of battle system (maybe a post-game platinum cup at the Glitz Pit?).

I have revisited the game a few times over the years, the last of which was only a couple of years ago. I've also got that portholic converter/upscaler for my wii. So that combined with the game having an ageless artstyle makes me content with it visually. Widescreen would be the only addition to a port for me personally. But I'm completely in favor of a port regardless and happy the game can be easily available again if the rumors are true.

I think there should be developer Directs where they introduce the people they've hired over the last year and let them show what they're working on
What about a Nintendo Let's Play Direct? For example There are 4 people from one EPD team and 4 other from another EPD team, they play games against each other together. Can Zelda devs beat Splatoon devs in Splatoon? We will find out in this Nintendo Direct: Let's Play.

What about a Nintendo Let's Play Direct? For example There are 4 people from one EPD team and 4 other from another EPD team, they play games against each other together. Can Zelda devs beat Splatoon devs in Splatoon? We will find out in this Nintendo Direct: Let's Play.
They should do this but with board games

I have revisited the game a few times over the years, the last of which was only a couple of years ago. I've also got that portholic converter/upscaler for my wii. So that combined with the game having an ageless artstyle makes me content with it visually. Widescreen would be the only addition to a port for me personally. But I'm completely in favor of a port regardless and happy the game can be easily available again if the rumors are true.
As much as the TTYD fandom is likely somewhat of a vocal minority and I do expect it'd sell less then TOK, the fact people at Nintendo during CS acknowledged the fan demand and said something about "if people want a remaster maybe we'll do it", combined with being an easy release, as well as being easier to excuse charging full price for due to how the game is already that price if not more on ebay and such, are likely the reasons for the port. I don't think it's being made for better visuals (though they will of course be HD) so much as all of that, tl;dr a mix of fan demand that well likely somewhat of a bubble isn't un-noticed, and availability

I also wonder if, as much as NSO is arguably paradoxical with preservation and availability in someways, they view it as not (and to be fair we do have the biggest retro catalog ever, just the subscription format makes things feel iffier), and as such want GCN to also be perserved, but feel NSO doesn't justify it, so we'll get remasters of some of the bigger titles. WW HD, F-Zero, TTYD, Sunshine, after that I suppose something like Air Ride or Assault would be next priority (I think Melee will skip)

Id say a Mario & Sonic at the Paris Olympic Games

Oh damn.

I totally blanked on the Mario & Sonic series... that's almost definitely a thing for this fall/holiday, since next year is the Olympics and they typically drop those games the holiday period beforehand. I mean unless they've just stopped making them or something.

RIP my Mario Baseball hopes and dreams. They ain't releasing more than one Mario sport a year. Not happening.

Ah well.

But come to think of it, the Paris Olympics are gonna have Break dancing as a brand new event next year, so ya'll now what that means....

476px-Bowser_Artwork_Dance_Dance_Revolution_Mario_Mix.png

last partner showcase was pretty good
It was for a Partner showcase, but the reality is third party stuff is really appetizers for Nintendo's core audience, some announcements particularly those in the 2018 March direct can bring decent hype but even then that was early switch when everyone wanted everything on it, now most things either launch on it or don't come at all, the main appeal of directs is first party/outsourced stuff, even something like Xenoblade that people say "muh anime" to brings more excitement generally then 99% of third party things

This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.
To me, the funniest part of this copypasta was always the last sentence because of how utterly ridiculous it is.

"We're sorry. Due to fans expecting Metroid, this event that we bought showfloor space for has to be cancelled, as the game will not, in fact, be Metroid."

Of all the possible GameCube / Wii U ports that could happen over the coming months, I'm not expecting Zelda Wind Waker or Twilight Princess this year.

We're getting TotK this week, which may well have DLC in the coming months. We're probably not getting another new mainline Zelda for years.

I'd expect them to space out their possible remasters to spread out the Zeldaness, rather than dropping them all on our plates in a short period and risking gamers being Zeldaed out.

why the hell did people think Wayforward would be the ones making Metroid and not uhhhhh the guys who made the last Metroid game?
I feel like it had something to do with The Mummy Demastered, which is a pretty cool Metroidvania and came out around the same time on the Switch as Samus Returns did on the 3DS (late 2017). No idea though really.

OH GAWD ITS ALREADY TIME FOR THIS. Imma try and keep my mouth shut cuz I'm actually planning on doing a YT video about my thoughts on the topic sometime after TOTK is out, definitely linking it here!

as for what type of Direct it will be and if there will be a Direct at all..
when do we open a poll? or how does it work LMAO
but in all seriousness, I'll probably just wait if Nate says something. Although I'm expecting nothing personally.

Of all the possible GameCube / Wii U ports that could happen over the coming months, I'm not expecting Zelda Wind Waker or Twilight Princess this year.

We're getting TotK this week, which may well have DLC in the coming months. We're probably not getting another new mainline Zelda for years.

I'd expect them to space out their possible remasters to spread out the Zeldaness, rather than dropping them all on our plates in a short period and risking gamers being Zeldaed out.
Which is why they should have released them last year

Speaking as a diehard Metroid fan myself, it is kind of funny how desperate Metroid fans were between Other M and Dread. From getting infuriated that Retro was making "another damn Donkey Kong" to actually being convinced WayForward's mystery game was Metroid despite Nintendo explicitly saying it wasn't based on a Nintendo IP, the fans just wanted anything.

Best case scenario for this holiday would be Prime 4 and 2D Mario this holiday, with ports and one or two smaller titles filling out the rest of the year. Those are the two big titles that Nintendo doesn't need to save for the Switch 2, and it would send the current Switch out on a high note before the next one comes in 2024.

why the hell did people think Wayforward would be the ones making Metroid and not uhhhhh the guys who made the last Metroid game?
People really wanted some nice illustrations of Samus in WayForward's trademark cute art style.

All joking aside, it was mostly desperation, I think. Like, I recall some people that were convinced that WayForward was developing a Metroid game because why else would the Shantae spirit in Smash be portrayed by Zero Suit Samus (yeah, seriously).

People really wanted some nice illustrations of Samus in WayForward's trademark cute art style.

All joking aside, it was mostly desperation, I think. Like, I recall some people that were convinced that WayForward was developing a Metroid game because why else would the Shantae spirit in Smash be portrayed by Zero Suit Samus (yeah, seriously).
I love how Nintendo has always been a pretty straightforward company when it comes to their marketing, yet fans treat everything as if it's some kind of ARG. They assume every single thing is some kind of abstract clue to an upcoming release that we need to piece together and solve. With Smash Bros. it was the absolute worst because you had people looking at the colors of chairs in the background of a Sakurai video and determining that proved Skull Kid would be a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom