• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
mariosad2.jpg

Nintendo promo.

However, since when does the switch have mario baseball?!?!

Coming soon? Nintendo Direct? Zippo being right? It all makes sense

fetchimage

So...I just remembered something really funny lol.

I currently work in the archives of a major museum in London. Few months ago, I had to work through archives of clowns and circuses alphabetically.

I reach to the final letter and to my surprise, guess what I found:

I'm really hoping the picture is uploaded and works lol.

Now, though there's no Direct annoucement, let's all furiously mash F5 for the next couple mins to see their 10AM EST Twitter post.

You know, I'm not sure why some people are expecting a cross-gen period of a couple of years. They'll probably just do one cross gen game at most like they've done in the past (BOTW, Twilight Princess, etc.) and just exclusively develop and release for the next system from that point forward. There will be outliers like of course TPC, but that will be about it.

The thing about that is, they didn't "just exclusively develop and release for the next system from that point forward".
There were ~20 first party published games on the 3DS post the Switch launching, and 4 cross gen games (Fire emblem warriors, Sushi Striker, Captain toad, Breath of the wild). The only thing stopping the vast majority of them being cross gen is that developing a game for both the 3DS and Switch would have been really hard because of very real technical considerations that won't be the case for the Switch/Switch 2. And obviously, the switch is a massive success even compared to both the 3DS , and its contemporaries in the PS4/Xbox One. All of those got extended support when their follow ups released; there's no reasonable chance that all of those did, yet the biggest success in the industry in decades just gets unceremoniously shutdown.

There's going to be a whole ton of Switch games still to come, and they're going to be playable on the Switch 2 via backwards compatibility.

Ok good, Nintendo didn’t post anything today (so far), more fuel for Direct announcement tomorrow.

Guess Nintendo is going belly up and will be closing its doors.

The Lawyers will somehow still be around to C&D anything fan-made, though

You know, I'm not sure why some people are expecting a cross-gen period of a couple of years. They'll probably just do one cross gen game at most like they've done in the past (BOTW, Twilight Princess, etc.) and just exclusively develop and release for the next system from that point forward. There will be outliers like of course TPC, but that will be about it.
Because times change.
I wouldn't look at old gens for patterns when the PS5 and Series X are as old as they and only really getting started now.

The Switch has a huge install base.
Of course they'll have some system sellers, but anything that can still run on the current Switch will still come for it.

A game like Rhythm Heaven coming soon?
Probably cross gen.
Next big Zelda or 3D Mario?
Switch 2 only.

Big Switch games like Metroid Prime 4 will definitely still come for the current Switch.
I don't expect games outside of the ones with really big pull like Mario or Zelda to drop the current Switch for atleast a year.

The thing about that is, they didn't "just exclusively develop and release for the next system from that point forward".
There were ~20 first party published games on the 3DS post the Switch launching, and 4 cross gen games (Fire emblem warriors, Sushi Striker, Captain toad, Breath of the wild). The only thing stopping the vast majority of them being cross gen is that developing a game for both the 3DS and Switch would have been really hard because of very real technical considerations that won't be the case for the Switch/Switch 2. And obviously, the switch is a massive success even compared to both the 3DS , and its contemporaries in the PS4/Xbox One. All of those got extended support when their follow ups released; there's no reasonable chance that all of those did, yet the biggest success in the industry in decades just gets unceremoniously shutdown.

There's going to be a whole ton of Switch games still to come, and they're going to be playable on the Switch 2 via backwards compatibility.
Good that you brought up 3DS and Switch co-existing for a good while, but I was actually referring to their home console devices. Should've noted that!

But we get Pauline playable for the first time EVER instead, and not one, but TWO Piranha Plants (Petey and Fire), so it's an 11/10

But yeah, Sluggers is way too good and basically put future games to shame
Quite frankly, by the time Sluggers came out, the Mario vs. Donkey Games was already very well established to have Pauline playable there.. or any other Mario spinoff of that era; They had a 3D model ready for that.. but they did spend resources making a Baby DK model that before was only on a sprite lol

Sluggers line up has way too many filler mooks and generic NPCs
See, that's fine when it's not on expense of actual major named characters; Sluggers covered almost everything they could, even going through the extended DK cast, then filling up with generic enemies.

I'm not a believer of a lengthy cross-gen strategy either. The last time people tried to extrapolate PS4/XBOX trends towards Nintendo it failed to materialize (Switch Pro).

If we get a brand new kind of 2D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 trailer and Paper Mario TTYD HD, this will be one of the greatest Nintendo Directs ever for me in this Gen.

In a world where cross gen development is easier and games have longer legs thanks to digital sales, there's pretty good incentive to keep old gaming devices supported longer then there was 10-20 years ago. This of course has been further compounded the past few years with the Switch still selling like crazy despite having a power gap and Xbox releasing a lower powered budget model.

I full expect Nintendo to follow this mindset with a mixture of cross gen Switch/Switch 2 games for the first 2-3 of years. I can easily see titles like Pokemon and Mario Party coming to both systems.

If Nintendo can dring a Direct forward two months, then surely they can move the announcement forward to today.

they did a typo and moved the announcement forward two years instead

we've all long since forgotten it assuming it was for another Direct that already happened

If we get a brand new kind of 2D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 trailer and Paper Mario TTYD HD, this will be one of the greatest Nintendo Directs ever for me in this Gen.
Would you be just as happy if we got an Echoes Remaster instead of Prime 4?

I'm not a believer of a lengthy cross-gen strategy either. The last time people tried to extrapolate PS4/XBOX trends towards Nintendo it failed to materialize (Switch Pro).
To be fair, Nintendo cancelled a mid gen refresh so it did exist at some point.

Echoes deserves the kind of makeover Prime 1 got. It was a bleeding edge game on the Cube with stunning art direction to boot, especially for things like the Ing, the dimensional transition, and Sanctuary Fortress.

I'd much rather wait for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom