• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if there is a Direct this week, when would it most likely be announced? I don't keep up with the patterns.
Tuesday 6:00 / 7:00 AM US West Coast time if it is a normal Direct (so 30-31 hours from now). If it is shadowdropped, expect it a day or two later. They won’t announce six hours from now since it is a US holiday.

So if there is a Direct this week, when would it most likely be announced? I don't keep up with the patterns.
Probably Nintendo will announce the direct tomorrow between 3 and 4 pm (Rome time, I'm from Italy so that the pattern time for us) and the direct will be broadcast either on Wednesday afternoon or on Wednesday evening

Bill_Lumbergh_Office_Space.jpeg

Yeah...I'm gonna need to see a direct announcement when I wake up in the morning

Yeah, it was my guess Square once again dominating Direct. Those people love AA development and AA games love Switch.

Btw, that's the Japanese Logo for the original game on PS1. It isn't the modern logo they used in the recent entry. Western version of Second Story R also uses the same logo:
title_banner_19288.png
Now If they only release a physical twin pack with Star Ocean 1.

I gotta say, I love the current vibes and excitement here vs a certain other place.
There's so much cynicism and negativity in the gaming community it bums me out, this is good...Isn't It?

I actually really like Arlo and find the disdain for him on this forum kinda weird. His takes aren't any worse than most on here, and he genuinely seems like a good guy just making content on what he loves. Plus I empathize with his struggles with mental health.
He’s just a guy. My partner had some stuff go viral for a while and then people really turned on her in exactly the same way people talk about Arlo here. He’s not a charlatan, he’s just a guy who made some stuff that reached a much wider audience than they ever probably anticipated. From all their mental health talk lately are now living with the same anxiety my partner did when you become a topic rather than a person.

What time do you think the direct will air on Wednesday, assuming it's a full length direct? These are usually at 10-11pm for me (UK time) the June direct is usually at 5pm UK time, but that's obviously because it was tied to E3..

I wonder if it will be the normal later timeslot

What time do you think the direct will air on Wednesday, assuming it's a full length direct? These are usually at 10-11pm for me (UK time) the June direct is usually at 5pm UK time, but that's obviously because it was tied to E3..

Usually at the most inconvenient time possible for me, as it’s usually when I’m either exhausted and heading for bed or just leaving work.

I think it'd be 10pm in the UK. For E3 Nintendo always went on Tuesdays; without the event, there's no need to follow the specific timing of it.

I totally forgot to talk about this!
I saw NateDrake at a subway yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet a leaker in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him about details about the upcoming Nintendo Direct and ask him about the date, what games are going to be there or anything else that is in it. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “No?” but he kept cutting me off and going “Direct? Direct? Direct?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued eating my sandwich at the table, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. I later went to the trashcan to throw away my wrapper before I left I saw him trying to walk out the door with like fifteen bags of Lays in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first, he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bags and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any direct leak interference,” and then turned around and winked at me. After she scanned each bag and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

My memory is getting rusty, wasn't UK summer Directs always at 11pm and Winter Directs at 10pm?
It might be! My memory is also abysmal, so it's a mystery. Certainly, the usual time works out at as either 10pm or 11pm...

My memory is getting rusty, wasn't UK summer Directs always at 11pm and Winter Directs at 10pm?
Yeah the February direct is always at 10pm UK time, and the September one is usually 11pm (except for last year where it was much earlier, I think because of Tokyo Game Show??)

I'm guessing this one will be the 11pm time, since the clocks have gone back an hour since February

Yeah the February direct is always at 10pm UK time, and the September one is usually 11pm (except for last year where it was much earlier, I think because of Tokyo Game Show??)

I'm guessing this one will be the 11pm time, since the clocks have gone back an hour since February
So it's either the usual summer timing (11pm) or perhaps 5pm? Because last year was a third party direct that aired at 5pm.

E³ events from Nintendo usually were a 6pm CEST here in mainland Europe.

11pm UK time would be 12pm here in Germany, so i really hope it's 10pm UK time.

So it's either the usual summer timing (11pm) or perhaps 5pm? Because last year was a third party direct that aired at 5pm.
I think so. Partner showcases always air at earlier times, and so do game specific directs. As far as I know it's only full directs that air at this later time, but I guess with a full non-E3 June direct being a new thing, it's hard to know what time Nintendo will air it.

Guess we'll have to wait for the announcement!

This week is the week ✨
I really hope the direct will be at the usual time tho, because I don’t know if I’ll be able to watch it live otherwise.

I’m not a fan of Nintendo saving these announcements for the direct. Now it’s going to be made some big deal surprise in their direct. Just let Atlus announce it’s coming to switch. You can reiterate it’s coming to Switch in the direct.

I’m not a fan of Nintendo saving these announcements for the direct. Now it’s going to be made some big deal surprise in their direct. Just let Atlus announce it’s coming to switch. You can reiterate it’s coming to Switch in the direct.

Given how random and strange Atlus themselves usually are, i'm not entirely sure this was on Nintendo. Imo it's 50/50 on whose dumb decision it was, with a high chance that both are responsible after all.

If it ends up as a Direct announcement, of course.

Just a thought but, I feel like regular direct minis are not really a thing anymore. Looking at the February 2023 direct and the small number of first-party announcements there, that one definitely could have been a mini - but there were enough third party reveals to pad it out that meant it ended up being a full length, 40 minute showcase.

I feel like nowadays, there's so much third part support that Nintendo can store up reveals to make 3 full length directs a year, they can then either add in a couple first party announcements and call it a full direct, or leave it as is and call it a partner showcase.

Those are my thoughts anyway, I could be wrong.. 😅

It's hard to know for sure. There was a time in 2020 where people thought general directs were dead, and then they came back. Then at that point, people were similarly claiming partner directs were dead, and then THOSE came back.

There are probably reasons that go into the thought of Nintendo Direct branding that we won't ever know, but I think part of it is just for setting expectations for what they have to show. Partners for 3rd party stuff, regular minis for a mix of 3rd party and not as grandiose 1st party announcements/updates, and general directs for bigger first party announcements.

Now If they only release a physical twin pack with Star Ocean 1.
I feel SO2 remaster is not the only game Switch will get. They're gonna do something like "Legendary RPG series is now on Switch! SO2-3-4 coming soon!". Not sure about 5 and 6 but 6 kinda bombed last year, I wouldn't be surprised we get that one too. Skipping 5.

For physical, look out for Play-asia. Usually the only place that sells SE physicals.

Just a thought but, I feel like regular direct minis are not really a thing anymore. Looking at the February 2023 direct and the small number of first-party announcements there, that one definitely could have been a mini - but there were enough third party reveals to pad it out that meant it ended up being a full length, 40 minute showcase.

I feel like nowadays, there's so much third part support that Nintendo can store up reveals to make 3 full length directs a year, they can then either add in a couple first party announcements and call it a full direct, or leave it as is and call it a partner showcase.

Those are my thoughts anyway, I could be wrong.. 😅
Putting Partner Showcases to one side, and we've had two Minis in the Switch era: January 2018 and March 2020. The common factor for Minis seems to be that further presentations happen either side.

In January 2018 we had the Labo reveal followed by the Mini, and the Mini was followed by a full General presentation in early March. In 2020 we'd had Animal Crossing and Pokemon presentations in January, before the Mini just after AC released. There's also some evidence that, had the pandemic not happened, we'd have had the Mario Anniversary Direct in late April 2020 rather than in September 2020.

So while I agree with the basic idea Nintendo wouldn't reveal heavy hitting software in a Mini, I'd also say the Mini seems to get used when Nintendo have multiple presentations to juggle in short order. The preference in the Switch era is very clearly for full fat Directs, even when Nintendo don't have much in the way of major game reveals themselves.

It's not going to be Nintendo who told them to do this. It'll be Atlus thinking it works better this way because they get the persona 3 remake to be in headlines on multiple days. This way, they get it on the Xbox announcement, on the playstation announcement a couple of days later, and then again when it shows up in a Nintendo direct.

Nintendo aren't stupid, they know leaving people with big question marks over if something is coming to their platform isn't great.

Last edited:
The reason behind voting for September is pretty easy: If there is a direct earlier you win because you still get a direct. If it isn't you win because you're getting a direct as predicted but weren't disappointed because you didn't put up hopes to be surprised by the ever enigmatic Nintendo marketing department!

The reason behind voting for September is pretty easy: If there is a direct earlier you win because you still get a direct. If it isn't you win because you're getting a direct as predicted but weren't disappointed because you didn't put up hopes to be surprised by the ever enigmatic Nintendo marketing department!

My vote for september is because there isn't a direct before that.

Putting Partner Showcases to one side, and we've had two Minis in the Switch era: January 2018 and March 2020. The common factor for Minis seems to be that further presentations happen either side.

In January 2018 we had the Labo reveal followed by the Mini, and the Mini was followed by a full General presentation in early March. In 2020 we'd had Animal Crossing and Pokemon presentations in January, before the Mini just after AC released. There's also some evidence that, had the pandemic not happened, we'd have had the Mario Anniversary Direct in late April 2020 rather than in September 2020.

So while I agree with the basic idea Nintendo wouldn't reveal heavy hitting software in a Mini, I'd also say the Mini seems to get used when Nintendo have multiple presentations to juggle in short order. The preference in the Switch era is very clearly for full fat Directs, even when Nintendo don't have much in the way of major game reveals themselves.
That's a good observation! I think Nintendo have realized that a full direct just gets more hype and draws more people in, regardless of what they actually have to show. I suppose minis can be used for more low-key showcases where they just want to get some news out quickly, often followed up by more news

I feel SO2 remaster is not the only game Switch will get. They're gonna do something like "Legendary RPG series is now on Switch! SO2-3-4 coming soon!". Not sure about 5 and 6 but 6 kinda bombed last year, I wouldn't be surprised we get that one too. Skipping 5.

For physical, look out for Play-asia. Usually the only place that sells SE physicals.
No SO1 physical, I live in SEA where Physical is more likely to materialize than in other regions. At least that's how it is here. We got DQ 1-2-3, FF 7-8-9, and the highly imported Pixel Remaster.

Last edited:
Me, who voted for September, if we do get a general direct announcement this week:

images

Me 2 seconds later enjoying the general direct announcement:

images

Given how random and strange Atlus themselves usually are, i'm not entirely sure this was on Nintendo. Imo it's 50/50 on whose dumb decision it was, with a high chance that both are responsible after all.

If it ends up as a Direct announcement, of course.
It's not going to be Nintendo who told them to do this. It'll be Atlus thinking it works better this way because they get the persona 3 remake to be in headlines on multiple days. This way, they get it on the Xbox announcement, on the playstation announcement a couple of days later, and then again when it shows up in a Nintendo direct.

Nintendo aren't stupid, they know leaving people with big question marks over if something is coming to their platform isn't great.
The same thing happened with Life is Strange True Colours when Square announced it for everything except Switch and then Nintendo announced it a few days later in a Direct, so I definitely think it's Nintendo's fault.

Considering Nate said that the 2 remaster is more ambitious than the first one, I'm not even confident it's coming to Switch (even if it could easily run it), let alone any other entries in the franchise.
IIRC tri-ace haven't developed a game for Nintendo consoles since the Star Ocean game on Gameboy.

Anything new in this Pikmin 4-related news release?

The specific retailer seems to start offering download "cards" (codes?) tomorrow, if I'm translating this correctly?

screenshot2023-06-191h5inc.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom