• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is obviously the greatest 2D platformer ever made, but I'm disappointed that nobody has brought up Rayman Origins or Legends. Those games are masterpieces that don't get the recognition they deserve.

Even if it doesn't come out this year, I really hope the new Donkey Kong game is announced in the next Direct. The wait has been agonizing. Tomorrow is the tenth anniversary of Tropical Freeze's announcement trailer.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is obviously the greatest 2D platformer ever made, but I'm disappointed that nobody has brought up Rayman Origins or Legends. Those games are masterpieces that don't get the recognition they deserve.

Even if it doesn't come out this year, I really hope the new Donkey Kong game is announced in the next Direct. The wait has been agonizing. Tomorrow is the tenth anniversary of Tropical Freeze's announcement trailer.

The wait is agonizing, to say the least!

4xznyenkhusa1.gif

Now that I have empirically determined the Direct will be in July, it's time to start setting realistic expectations. While the release schedule is pretty empty right now, Nintendo could fill it up with crap I don't care about REAL quick:

• With GameFreak focused on DLC content this year, The Pokemon Company may try to fill the space with one or two Pokemon spin-offs.
  • While the high IQ choice for a smaller-scale quirky title would clearly be a new Rhythm Heaven, Nintendo may go for a Tomadachi Life sequel.
  • With the Olympics around the corner and no Mario game on the calendar, Nintendo may team up with SEGA for another mini-game compilation.
  • While some Gamecube remasters would be cool, a lot of the originals hold up fine and I'm not really looking forward to many. I'm afraid Nintendo may lean into them in order to preserve more development resources for supporting the new hardware.

I wouldn't care for any of these announcements, and there's a chance Nintendo could sweep with all of them this year.

Give me the grand return of K Rool darn it!

I think TotK is still important and can reveal interesting things.
The game is going to receive updates like Master Mode, I can't imagine not having it, so here are some options:

#1. There are no paid DLCs and the game just get some small free updates (Master Mode could be that). This means that the game is over, no need to release a new version with all the DLCs, TotK wouldn't be linked to new hardware in any way, and it allows Nintendo to launch other Zelda games/remasters sooner than we may expect.

#2. DLCs like BotW. Not an expansion, just little additions with new quests, zonai objects, new equipment. etc. Not everyone would care about this, just enthusiasts who loved the game. Wouldn't be interesting enough to promote it with new hardware, but definitely could delay another Zelda game.

#3. Full expansion. Probably for next year, would completely destroy our hopes for WW/TP HD, but... it's good enough to show it running on Switch 2. Expansion = Switch 2 "soon".

I don't even need new games.

I just built a flying contraption and flew my horse miles into the air

C23A10E8-5C3F-4529-8318-6264B71E61A4.jpeg

If there's one thing 2D Mario and 2D DK fans can agree on, it's that Celeste is better than any of those games.
I really don't get the hype behind Celeste. It's so robotic. Especially in the later levels there is no wiggle room. You just find the pattern you need and then practice until you get the timing down. It's just boring to me and feels more like a puzzle/timing game.

Wish we could move discussions away from ranking and framing everything in regards to the better, best, and worst. Always makes discussing games so reductive and to prop up your favorite you frequently throw others under the bus in the process (the if it's not the best it's the worst stuff). Mario, DK, and Celeste all do cool different things. We can have preferences without tearing the others down. Same deal with discussing the games within a franchise like pitting all of the DK games against each other. I'm glad we have seven cool main DK platformers, plus a bunch of other cool games beyond them.

Celeste was fun, the difficulty was part of that. Dying wasn’t frustrating. Tropical freeze to me was frustrating because of the difficulty. Mario is still the platform er where I feel most in control, the movement just feels natural.

I really don't get the hype behind Celeste. It's so robotic. Especially in the later levels there is no wiggle room. You just find the pattern you need and then practice until you get the timing down. It's just boring to me and feels more like a puzzle/timing game.
It’s a case of personal preference, when the game builds you up to be able to pull off those precision jumps, and the times where you do manage it first time without having to repeat it feel great.

Gameplay is woven really nicely with the theme and story as well.

Completely get that it won’t be everyone’s cuppa, but it’s still one of my favourites.

Tropical Freeze is an all-timer as well, both fantastic games.

Wish we could move discussions away from ranking and framing everything in regards to the better, best, and worst. Always makes discussing games so reductive and to prop up your favorite you frequently throw others under the bus in the process (the if it's not the best it's the worst stuff). Mario, DK, and Celeste all do cool different things. We can have preferences without tearing the others down. Same deal with discussing the games within a franchise like pitting all of the DK games against each other. I'm glad we have seven cool main DK platformers, plus a bunch of other cool games beyond them.
I personally think this is one of xghost777's better post.

:p

I've never played Celeste so I can't comment on the game's quality, all I know is both Celeste and DK/Mario have their fans and awesome things to like about their respective games <3

I'm glad we have seven cool main DK platformers, plus a bunch of other cool games beyond them.
I’ve thought about this before and it’s really cool how Nintendo has multiple platforming series that all play differently enough that they don’t feel like they’re stepping on each others toes. The characters all move differently, there’s different emphasis on the objectives, etc.

There’s a Nintendo platformer out there for everyone. We should be happy for that.

not able to watch the Nate podcast before the show so I’m just gonna assume they doubled down on the 1 Vs 100 prediction from last year and it’s the only thing they expect to be shown

I predict that we will see Cities Skylines 2 in some form tonight, otherwise I have no clue what to expect.

All I ask for today is an update on She Dreams Elsewhere, and since XBox was the first platform to get a console announcement I strongly associate news updates with MS showcases

Celeste was fun, the difficulty was part of that. Dying wasn’t frustrating. Tropical freeze to me was frustrating because of the difficulty. Mario is still the platform er where I feel most in control, the movement just feels natural.
This encapsulates my feelings about each of these games pretty well. While I generally don’t find difficulty in games inherently fun, Celeste mitigated that by having respawn points typically very close to where you died, and respawning was instantaneous, so the flow of gameplay was incredibly smooth no matter how many times you died.

While I don’t remember having a particularly hard time with the platforming in Tropical Freeze, the boss battles induced a lot of stress and ultimately detracted from the experience for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an incredibly well-crafted game, it just didn’t captivate me in the way it seems to have for many others.

Like intoxicate said, I feel a lot more in control playing Mario games. Yes, this is at least in part because Mario games, especially the more recent ones, tend to be easier, and because of my own bias having spent a lot more time playing Mario than either of the other two, but Mario games have a lot of strengths (level design, power-ups, movement) that I feel are overlooked because of an oversaturation of a single style of 2D Mario, and the 3D games skewing in a similar direction around the same time.

Don't know if anyone knows this but woot is doing a gaming sale, engage for 38.99, digimon survive 19.99, three houses warriors game forgot the name 24.99, undernauts labyrinth of yomi 19.99, baldo 22.99 some nice prices.

Generally looking forward to seeing what gets announced at the Microsoft presentation - not excited for anything in particular (except the heavily rumored new Hi Fi Rush content) but hoping for some surprises. Maybe even Silksong or Hades 2 trailers?

Legends is overrated. Too many collectibles per level.

Generally looking forward to seeing what gets announced at the Microsoft presentation - not excited for anything in particular (except the heavily rumored new Hi Fi Rush content) but hoping for some surprises. Maybe even Silksong or Hades 2 trailers?
I do wonder if we will even see Silksong after that tweet.

I've been terrified to use horses in Zelda ever since my horse Shrek was set on fire while running away from monsters in Breath of the Wild. I was surprised he actually survived that. He's just built different. I never wanted to test it further, though.

Shrek did come back in Tears of the Kingdom for a short side quest that required a horse. It was good to see him again. How about a horse sim set in the Zelda universe for the holiday 2023 game? That would be a great direct announcement!

Fami never changes when comes to "waiting on reassurance from Nate"
Let's watch the Xbox Showcase first, after all... things for Nintendo Switch should also coming from this presentation

It can feel like that sometimes, but there is actually a lot of player expression in the movement, and it comes out more at high levels once you start learning all the advanced techniques. When I first did the C-Side for the hotel, which is one of the game's hardest levels, I looked up a video and was surprised to see that they went through every room completely differently from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom