• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't the Bayonetta 3 director been hinting that B3 is finished and Nintendo is sitting on it? If that's true I have a very hard time seeing it miss this Direct, no matter what kind of Direct it is.

How is Bayo 3 first party? Nintendo's publishing, but it's a Sega-owned franchise developed by a third party studio.
Bayonetta 3 is made by Platinum, so it's technically third party.
Smash Ultimate was made by Bandai Namco, Fire Emblem: Three Houses was made by Koei Tecmo, Kirby and the Forgotten Land was made by HAL Laboratory. Are those 3rd party?
Spider-Man 2018 was made by Insomniac using a Marvel IP. Is it 3rd party?

For Nintendo first-party titles are all the games that they fund and EPD produces, that includes Bayo 3, Smash, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Astral Chain... (but not the Warriors games nor Mario + Rabbids)

I mean even if there is a mini partner or whatever tomorrow. That doesn't stop Nintendo for releasing a General Nintendo Direct in July or August.

You all won't go off the ride that easily.

Smash Ultimate was made by Bandai Namco, Fire Emblem: Three Houses was made by Koei Tecmo, Kirby and the Forgotten Land was made by HAL Laboratory. Are those 3rd party?

For Nintendo first-party titles are all the games that they fund and EPD produces, that includes Bayo 3 (but not the Warriors games nor Mario + Rabbids).
You know, never thought about Spider-Man, but I do think the more important thing is that Sega owns Bayo, and the distinction being that Sega is a video game developer, as opposed to Marvel who always outsources their IPs.

But I suppose there's a point there, and don't feel like getting into a "what counts as a first party" debate

Not dissimilar to how Spider-Man was first party, despite being developed by a third party studio and being a Marvel IP. But there's definitely a bit more ambiguity here
If Sega owns Bayonetta, and Platinum develops it, but Nintendo publishing it makes it a first party property...

Then since Nintendo stepped in to publish Sonic Lost World as a WiiU exclusive, does that mean...?? 😨😰😱

For Nintendo first-party titles are all the games that they fund and EPD produces, that includes Bayo 3 (but not the Warriors games nor Mario + Rabbids)
Bayonetta is owned by Sega, Nintendo just funds it. This is like claiming third party exclusives are first party because Nintendo paid for it.

I don’t know if anyone here has talked about this yet, but have you heard about a BRAND new rabbids game literally set to come out in like a week? There’s a trailer out but it’s kinda hidden and barely anyone has seen it.
Maybe it’s set to get shown off at this rumored partner direct?

Bayonetta is owned by Sega, Nintendo just funds it. This is like claiming third party exclusives are first party because Nintendo paid for it.
Nintendo literally paid to have it made. that's different than Sony paying to temporary exclusivity of Final Fantasy

I don’t know if anyone here has talked about this yet, but have you heard about a BRAND new rabbids game literally set to come out in like a week? There’s a trailer out but it’s kinda hidden and barely anyone has seen it.

it might show up there. also the game is only new to the west. it's been out in china last year or so

I don’t know if anyone here has talked about this yet, but have you heard about a BRAND new rabbids game literally set to come out in like a week? There’s a trailer out but it’s kinda hidden and no one as seen it.

It’s not a new game it was released in China awhile ago and it’s just now making its way to the west

My favorite thing about that moment was how much it stuck with Rami Malek, to the point where he referenced it in interviews during the 007 press tour and eventually tried to do it himself when he hosted SNL and introduced Young Thug but he tried so hard to imitate Daniel Craig that it came across awkward as hell. 🤣
Like he always is? Badum tss
(I really loved him in Mr. Robot & No Time To Die tho)

No seriously, I really want to see The Weeknd one time but in october I will see Kendrick Lamar & I'm so fucking excited. Next year in summer I will see Stromae & Sir Elton John! Just Haiku Hands, Jasmine Sokko & ATARASHI GAKKO are then on my "have-to-watch" - list atm. God I love music so much.

If Sega owns Bayonetta, and Platinum develops it, but Nintendo publishing it makes it a first party property...

Then since Nintendo stepped in to publish Sonic Lost World as a WiiU exclusive, does that mean...?? 😨😰😱
That the blue blur did in fact make out with Mario??

Crazy if true.

Rabbids Direct is suddenly a possibility.

:p

Y’all have to remember Nintendo is presenting this as a “partner showcase” to US

we are consumers. They arent operating under the assumption that we give a fuck who funds the game. That’s all behind the scenes and for them to worry about.

from the consumer’s perspective, Bayonetta 3 is developed by a third party partner, thus it qualifies to be shown in a direct about games developed by third party partners

EPD isn't involved in those, while they have multiple producers, managers and developers working on Bayonetta. And Nintendo pays only a small part for titles like SMTV to be exclusive, while they fund the entire development + marketing of PlatinumGames'.

Also I just want to say this just cause insiders heard 1 game being Mario rabbids doesn’t mean it’s a partner.
Eh, insiders have known about Mario + Rabbids since they started teasing a Direct, without ever indicating a Partners. I'm pretty confident that that's the reason this Direct was so widely known, since Ubisoft is basically composed entirely of leaks and poor business practices

Nate only started being sure a Partners, when he was unwilling to commit to a branding beforehand, around yesterday. That tells me that Mario + Rabbids is not the reason he thinks that, and he probably has some actual info regarding the Direct at this point (and not just games that'll be in it)

Y’all have to remember Nintendo is presenting this as a “partner showcase” to US

we are consumers. They arent operating under the assumption that we give a fuck who funds the game. That’s all behind the scenes and for them to worry about.

from the consumer’s perspective, Bayonetta 3 is developed by a third party partner, thus it qualifies to be shown in a direct about games developed by third party partners
No they aren’t cause they haven’t said anything yet lmao. Partners existed in 2020 solely for Covid reasons and Nintendo made deals with 3rd party companies to show off games and they couldn’t just not show them

How is Bayo 3 first party? Nintendo's publishing, but it's a Sega-owned franchise developed by a third party studio.
Nintendo (co-)owns the game so it is 1st party for Nintendo. Still it may show up is Nintendo that decides what does or doesn’t fit every type of Direct and they might thing Bayo 3 can fit in a partner

No they aren’t cause they haven’t said anything yet lmao. Partners existed in 2020 solely for Covid reasons and Nintendo made deals with 3rd party companies to show off games and they couldn’t just not show them
I know, I made the post assuming we are getting a partner direct to make the point

I mean even if there is a mini partner or whatever tomorrow. That doesn't stop Nintendo for releasing a General Nintendo Direct in July or August.

You all won't go off the ride that easily.

Correct. I’m staying optimistic. I see no reason to believe they couldn’t have shown H2 first party content in June, and in normal E3 circumstances they probably would have.

Something about presenting a bit later / different than usual this year suits them better. Sony has proven in recent years that the exact timing of E3 didn’t necessarily mesh with their first party schedule - could be no different than that.

Sony owns spider man still don't they tho? Making that the reason the game is first party?
They have the film rights and the game licence, but they don't own the character. They do own Insomniac. It's published and developed by them. I think buying Insomniac was post Spider-Man release though.

I do think a Mini is still more likely than a Partners. That Pokemon YouTube has been doing regional videos weekly and just did Galar last week. And we still don't know the name of the Scarlet/Violet region so it's a perfect time for a reveal

Of course they could just do a standlone trailer completely separate from whatever Direct happens

I do think a Mini is still more likely than a Partners. That Pokemon YouTube has been doing regional videos weekly and just did Galar last week. And we still don't know the name of the Scarlet/Violet region so it's a perfect time for a reveal

Of course they could just do a standlone trailer completely separate from whatever Direct happens

Bayonetta 3 is the same case as Spider-Man on PS4. A external IP and developed for a external studio (at that time insomniac wasn't yet a ps studio). The game is first party as Sony fully funded it's development. Bayonetta 3 is the same, the game, and not the IP, is a first party launch.

Eh, insiders have known about Mario + Rabbids since they started teasing a Direct, without ever indicating a Partners. I'm pretty confident that that's the reason this Direct was so widely known, since Ubisoft is basically composed entirely of leaks and poor business practices

Nate only started being sure a Partners, when he was unwilling to commit to a branding beforehand, around yesterday. That tells me that Mario + Rabbids is not the reason he thinks that, and he probably has some actual info regarding the Direct at this point (and not just games that'll be in it)
Imo he’s guessing it’s a partner based on your only a couple titles he heard and he doesn’t actually know what it is.

I'd say the average consumer thinks Hyrule Warriors is a 1st party game since it's Zelda. And if being developed by a 3rd party partner is the only criterium then almost anything could show, be it Pokémon, Fire Emblem 17, Kirby DLC, an Oracle remake...

Imo he’s guessing it’s a partner based on your only a couple titles he heard and he doesn’t actually know what it is.
Nate is very cautious, I don’t think he’d do that.

He heard something about the overall direct, that’s the only thing that would make him commit to the branding when he didn’t do so before

I'd say the average consumer thinks Hyrule Warriors is a 1st party game since it's Zelda. And if being developed by a 3rd party partner is the only criterium then almost anything could show, be it Pokémon, Fire Emblem 17, Kirby DLC, an Oracle remake...
Well yeah, Hyrule Warriors AOC was shown in a partner direct lol

Nate is very cautious, I don’t think he’d do that.

He heard something about the overall direct, that’s the only thing that would make him commit to the branding when he didn’t do so before
If he’s so confident in the branding then why haven’t others come forward and say what the branding is? Because no one really knows.

Imagine if Snitch was talking about God of War on Switch this entire time. It won't happen for obvious reasons, but the reactions would be hilarious.
That would certainly explain why someone who works for Sony heard about the direct ahead of time...

I don't think that tracks, honestly. He would've said something more cautious ("it may be Partners") if he was going off of lack of information, instead of going all in on the Partners. Nate's typically a cautious guy when it comes to hinting, he doesn't usually go all in on things unless he's absolutely sure.

There's always the possibility that his info's off here (it conflicts with some of what other insiders are saying, especially regarding the Direct date). But I do believe that his info, correct or otherwise, concretely indicates a Partners.

I guess that's possible, but why would he believe it's a Partner instead of a General? What's different now?
I never said anything about general, however I think these insiders obviously get their info from 3rd Party sources and he’s only heard a couple titles from them and none from Nintendo/first party titles

I guess that's possible, but why would he believe it's a Partner instead of a General? What's different now?
If there's uncertainty about partner or general I can imagine he'd rather say it's a partner and have it turn out to be a general than the other way around. Way less backlash

Well yeah, Hyrule Warriors AOC was shown in a partner direct lol
I think you misread what I said, that's exactly my point: the average consumer sees Hyrule Warriors as a 1st party game, yet it was shown in a Partner Showcase. So no, Nintendo doesn't decide what gets shown in a Partner Showcase depending on what the average consumer sees as 3rd party or 1st party, they do it based on their own classification which is clearly based on who funds the development and if EPD produces the game or not.

Bayonetta is definitely in a weird spot. Nintendo doesn’t own the IP, but they fully publish it, advertise it as a major release title, and are the only reason the IP still exists at all. It’s basically 1st party in everything but name.

Compared to Age of Calamity, which was published by Koei Tecmo in Japan, and there’s definitely a difference. Age of Calamity showing up at TGS in the capacity it did should’ve tipped people off that it wasn’t going to be treated like other 1st party Nintendo titles. So I don’t think it’s really comparable to Bayonetta, even though Bayonetta is still technically 3rd party. Nintendo treats it as 1st party.

Regardless, the branding of a direct is pretty meaningless, so it’s all moot. I’m not expecting it to show up regardless of what the direct is branded as.

But it does? That's what Partner Showcase means lol
It's most likely not a partner specifically but something like it. Partners were 10 minutes top but even with the first hand rumored games will take longer than that. It'll be just a normal direct with heavier 3rd party presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom