• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
January 2018 Mini Direct
April 2017 Direct
March 2020 Mini Direct
Once again, Fami never fails to impress me. Well done!

What kind of post can I make for you, or, what would you like my header to become for 24 hours?

Nintendo should just return to calling everything a Nintendo Direct regardless of length and content like how it was in the beginning. You could get some new game announcements or 15 minutes of Iwata talking about one specific game that has been shown off before.
I miss "Iwata contemplating bananas" Directs.

This part

“Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's fire”

This is our future. St. Elmo’s Fire is a movie that releases on June 28
Yeah but "lyin'" is right there in the lyrics

Play the game, you know you can't quit until it's won
Soldier on, only you can do what must be done
You know in some way you're a lot like me
You're just a prisoner and you're tryin' to break free
I can see a new horizon underneath the blazin' sky
I'll be where the eagle's flying higher and higher
Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's this pair of wheels
Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's fire
Is that from something or did you actually just make that up to hint, if you did that's awesome

Once again, Fami never fails to impress me. Well done!

What kind of post can I make for you, or, what would you like my header to become for 24 hours?
In honor of the newest round of Mega Drive Mini 2 game announcements you should make your tag 'Columns III: Revenge of Columns'.

What’s funny to me, is if they didn’t have enough to fill a full direct why wouldn’t they have just thrown in the XBC3 content

Trying to think of some potential announcements that could come from a Partner Direct that would really get people excited. I can think of two:

“The return of a fan favorite classic is making its way to Nintendo Switch from our partners at Microsoft… cue Goldeneye 007 theme song Short trailer follows.

“That’s right. Goldeneye is back with brand new graphics and modern controls to make your experience of this classic game better than ever. It will be available to download later today from the Nintendo eShop.”

“This next announcement may just haunt your dreams… *screen goes dark, Zombies are shown, gunshots sound, and a familiar voice can be heard… * Resident Evil: Revelations 3 announced.

“Our partners at Capcom are bringing a brand new Resident Evil experience to the Nintendo Switch with Resident Evil: Revelations 3, launching exclusively for Nintendo Switch in 2023.”

And that’s all I’ve got. I would certainly welcome such a showcase with announcements like that!

Team General is for wimps

I'm on Team General Direct + Treehouse and am fully ready for whatever disappointment comes my way (tbh like I've mentioned I'm honestly fine if just Mario + Rabbids makes an appearance)

Whatever kind of direct they do, I expect them to announce a Splatoon direct during it. No way they do a Xenoblade direct but not a Splatoon one, it's way bigger.
They don't need to announce a Splatoon Direct in another Direct. That's not typically how game specific Directs work (the only one I can think of which did that was the Animal Crossing DLC Direct last year)

I think where i'm at is:

Partner Showcase - They only existed in the first place because of the circumstances of the early pandemic; no chance.
Mini Direct -Eh... maybe? I guess if the only major releases they have left to reveal for H2 are remasters like Metroid Prime they can save BotW2 and FE for September...
Direct - I still think this is what's happening but who knows right now.

A reminder that the average direct is about 40 minutes and Nintendo had a 30 minute mini direct once. They could simply call it a mini direct to set expectations lower and still make it pretty long.

A 25-30 minute mini direct seems completely reasonable to me. If all they're gonna show is existing games and ports/remasters (with maybe one new thing like Fire Emblem) then a 25-30 minute direct would be smarter.

Idt we are getting a next gen Switch soon. A pro maybe but not a clean cut.

Because after all the trouble Monolith supposedly had with making Xenoblade 3 run smoothly on the Switch, if a new generation with more power was THIS close, why would they release it for the Switch now?

Also I do hope it's a general Direct because I need me some Nintendo developed games (what have the core Nintendo teams put out the past 3 years really ...? Barely anything).

But we will see.

In 2026 Nintendo will be like "the Switch is about halfway through its life right now" like they've been saying annually for a while now.

(what have the core Nintendo teams put out the past 3 years really ...? Barely anything).
Well Nintendo EPD does make a lot of smaller/mid size games that they've been consistently putting out, but I'd assume you're talking about the big dogs like 3D Mario/3D Zelda/Animal Crossing/etc. Thing is most of these games are simply one per console. 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing almost never get 2 releases on the same console. 3D Mario did with Galaxy 2, although that was originally intended to be an expanded version of Galaxy 1 and not a new game, but otherwise it's been a one and done. So I wouldn't really expect to start seeing those games again until the next console release.

pug-dog.gif

Well Nintendo EPD does make a lot of smaller/mid size games that they've been consistently putting out, but I'd assume you're talking about the big dogs like 3D Mario/3D Zelda/Animal Crossing/etc. Thing is most of these games are simply one per console. 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing almost never get 2 releases on the same console. 3D Mario did with Galaxy 2, although that was originally intended to be an expanded version of Galaxy 1 and not a new game, but otherwise it's been a one and done. So I wouldn't really expect to start seeing those games again until the next console release.

Sure, that's true. But the fact that we already got those on Switch is because Nintendo held those back for the Switch because the Wii U was doing abysmal. I mean they could do that same thing again to frontload the next gen system, it's worked for them once. Get the console off the ground with good first party titles and then once third parties are on board you can leave them to carry the system and have your own teams focus on what's next.

But the thing is, the Switch user base is enormous with lots of software sales to be made so idk if they would use that strategy. I mean there will be another Splatoon in Switch despite it already having one. I can understand Xenoblade 3, even tho Switch already had 2, because the franchise tells a story so the games will eb fundamentally different from each other. But so far, to someone who doesn't play it competitively, Splatoon 3 looks like a prettier Splatoon 2, so what is the point of releasing that now then? Hmmm...

Regardless, I doubt they're sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Either they are actively holding stuff back for the next system or they are due to show stuff soon, it's one of the two

Maybe the confusion about what kind of showcase we'll get it's because it will be a brand new one, something like Nintendo 2022 showcase", focused entirely on this CY. this kind of showcase will check a lot of question marks:

-rumored or announced third party games that needs to be dated or announced (Tactics Ogre, Mario Rabbids 2, luckily enough Silksong)
-updates on already released games (Mario Strikers, Switch Sports)
-dates for rumored or already announced games (Advance wars, Everybody Switch, hopefully Bayonetta 3 which may be delayed or not)
-Metroid Prime HD announced, not a great reveal but a nice one for sure.

after this, Nintendo could easily have dedicated showcase for Pokémon and Splatoon 3, a big September Direct focused on 2023 or a new hardware presentation with games on a later date.

But the thing is, the Switch user base is enormous with lots of software sales to be made so idk if they would use that strategy. I mean there will be another Splatoon in Switch despite it already having one. I can understand Xenoblade 3, even tho Switch already had 2, because the franchise tells a story so the games will eb fundamentally different from each other. But so far, to someone who doesn't play it competitively, Splatoon 3 looks like a prettier Splatoon 2, so what is the point of releasing that now then? Hmmm...
It's not out of the question we could get a new 3D Mario, though I doubt it this far along with no announcement, but the other big 3 are simply never gonna be 2 per console. The reason why is because Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Smash are all effectively the same game with new content added to it. You could make the same argument for Splatoon but as an entirely online focused game it's a little different, since people will play these sorts of games for literal thousands of hours, they never really end anyway.

As long as I see ONE brand new unannounced 1st party game that gets me excited (A new DK, a new Mario, a new Luigi's Mansion, whatever!), I'll be content, no matter how long this direct is. On new thing, that's all I need.

Didn’t have much energy and enthusiasm for posting today, bad mix of personal stuff and awful news, so I appreciated the thread remained active (maybe too active with 30+ pages lol). I’m still firmly on #TeamGeneralDirect. I’m still really expecting a packed line up still of Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Bayonetta and a sweep of other exciting games, updates, and announcements.

But honestly even if it was some kind of lighter showcase, I’m still blown away by the awesome Xenoblade 3 Direct earlier this year and the hard locks walking in are already more than enough to make me excited. Not to mention we have an avalanche of new games to play this week (Ai!!), the Cuphead DLC next week, and a great looking July.

Sure, that's true. But the fact that we already got those on Switch is because Nintendo held those back for the Switch because the Wii U was doing abysmal. I mean they could do that same thing again to frontload the next gen system, it's worked for them once. Get the console off the ground with good first party titles and then once third parties are on board you can leave them to carry the system and have your own teams focus on what's next.

Regardless, I doubt they're sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Either they are actively holding stuff back for the next system or they are due to show stuff soon, it's one of the two

A fully backwards compatible switch solves this problem beautifully, and from what we know Furukawa feels the same.

“On the other hand, looking back on past experiences of generational change such as the change from the Wii and Nintendo DS eras, we recognize that one of our tasks is ensuring the transition to future generations of hardware is as smooth as possible. To that end, we are focusing on building long-term relationships with our consumers (through Nintendo Accounts).

“While continuing to release new Nintendo Switch software for consumers to enjoy, we aim to maintain relationships across hardware generations through services that utilize Nintendo Accounts and by providing opportunities for them to experience our IP through other non-gaming channels.”

i wonder if that FF9 remake will be announced during a direct since apparently, it's closer in scale to the trails of mana remake then the FF7 remakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom