• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Direct announced for June 21 (40 minutes long, focused on games releasing this year, 7AM Pacific, 10AM Eastern, 4PM Central European)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me feel like they were quick and hasty additions near the end
He also didn't leak WarioWare but did leak MGS Collection. So either they intentionally chose not to, or their method of information gathering isn't as straight forward as youtube/twitter back end stuff.

When we thinking the September Direct will be? I'm looking at the Switch generation.

Tokyo Game Show- September 21-24
Nintendo Direct- September 13

Tokyo Game Show- September 20-23
Nintendo Direct- September 13 (this was supposed to be on September 6, but delayed)

Tokyo Game Show- September 14-15
Nintendo Direct- September 4

Tokyo Game Show- September 30-October 3
Nintendo Direct- September 23

Tokyo Game Show- September 15-18
Nintendo Direct- September 13 (I read some insiders said this was delayed because of the Queen's death; assuming that's real then this Direct would've been September 6)

Nintendo Direct-???

Going by this generation they always do it a minimum of a week earlier except for last year. Anyone think they know why they waited to do it the same week of TGS in 2022? If we assume the queen death then it's always one week out, except for 2018 which was going to be two weeks out. Other than that outlier the Direct will 90% likely be September 13. Towards the end of August speculation will ramp up again.

Last edited:
When we thinking the September Direct will be? I'm looking at the Switch generation.

Nintendo Direct- September 13 (this was supposed to be on September 6, but delayed)

Nintendo Direct- September 13 (I read some insiders said this was delayed because of the Queen's death; assuming that's real then this Direct would've been September 6)

Nintendo Direct-???

Going by this generation they always do it a minimum of a week earlier except for last year. Anyone think they know why they waited to do it the same week of TGS in 2022? If we assume the queen death then it's always one week out, except for 2018 which was going to be two weeks out. Other than that outlier the Direct will 90% likely be September 13. Towards the end of August speculation will ramp up again.
September 13 feels like a pretty solid lock. Just 2 and a half months away!

He also didn't leak WarioWare but did leak MGS Collection. So either they intentionally chose not to, or their method of information gathering isn't as straight forward as youtube/twitter back end stuff.
I feel like those two games were last minute additions. Especially since it addresses an Investors’ question regarding the Mario Movie affecting software sales. Those games releasing next year are obviously Nintendo capitalizing on brand awareness because of the movie.

Nintendo Direct-???

Last year had Splatoon 3 on September 9th, so Nintendo may have wanted to distance the Direct from that a little. Honestly, I'm not sure though. I think the consistent point is simply that it happens before TGS starts.

I'd say September 13th/14th or 20th are the likeliest dates. Depends if there's anything else Nintendo drop in September besides the Pikmin retail release, and what the nature of that other product is. Do they want to drop Side Order during a Direct? Or another remaster? Launch an NSO 99 game? Or is there a September 'casual' title that'll be announced ahead of or after any Direct?

There's a handful of factors that make it slightly less predictable, but I think we're looking at the week before or the week of TGS.

Nintendo Direct-???

September 13th definitely feels right. My birthday is the 8th so I'm personally hoping it's the 6th, but I'll be happy either way!

Nintendo Direct-???

Almost certainly going to be the 13th.

Also, even though it wasn't a general Direct, I think it's worth mentioning that 2020 had the Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary Direct on September 3rd.

Too many tears in the United Kingdom

The September Direct probably wasn't delayed because of the Queen's death, as she died on September 8 (which is a Thursday). Direct would've happened before that.

No
It isn't Luigi's Mansion the Bamco game
sorry for the random question, but do you see any improvement in Nintendo's PTBR support in the near future?
From what I understand from all those first-party games shown, only Mario Wonder is supposed to have PTBR localization and I think this lack of support is really hurting Nintendo around here.

Also, even though it wasn't a general Direct, I think it's worth mentioning that 2020 had the Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary Direct on September 3rd.

The closer equivalent comparison would be the September Partner Showcase:

Tokyo Game Show - September 24–27
Nintendo Direct Mini - September 17

Even when TGS went digital in 2020 and 2021 they held a presentation shortly before it; it's the most solid timing for Nintendo Directs, even moreso than the Q1 and June Directs.

sorry for the random question, but do you see any improvement in Nintendo's PTBR support in the near future?
From what I understand from all those first-party games shown, only Mario Wonder is supposed to have PTBR localization and I think this lack of support is really hurting Nintendo around here.
Yes, it will
The PT-BR case is weird but I understand that Nintendo (as they've said to me back in 2022) are prioritizing newer projects over remasters / remakes / games already done (even more if second-party like Mario RPG)

Both Peach Untitled and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon HD will have PT language options

Yes, it will
The PT-BR case is weird but I understand that Nintendo (as they've said to me back in 2022) are prioritizing newer projects over remasters / remakes / games already done (even more if second-party like Mario RPG)

Both Peach Untitled and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon HD will have PT language options
Didn't know about Peach and Luigi's Mansion, that's nice.
It's a shame Mario RPG won't have PTBR support, thou. I hope they start standardizing this stuff in the near future.

I think that the September Direct could play out similarly to the February Direct: Mostly news for previously announced games, DLC news and maybe a shadowdrop.

Out of curiousity - have we gotten some information about what exactly Grubb was hearing about the Direct possibly happening in July? He generally has a good track record with event dates so I wonder how he got this one so wrong... unless there is something happening next month! (I don't actually expect anything and if there was something it would probably be a small Famicom 40th anniversary celebration event, since they mentioned it in the JP Direct, or something like that)

Right this is the best part of the direct cycle. It’s the shortest window to the next direct.
Oh yeah. Best part of the cycle, my only wish is that the September Directs improve a bit since 2019. 2021 was solid with Kirby and Bayonetta, but I haven't outright loved a September direct since 2018 (open with LM3, close with Animal Crossing and Isabelle in Smash)

Out of curiousity - have we gotten some information about what exactly Grubb was hearing about the Direct possibly happening in July? He generally has a good track record with event dates so I wonder how he got this one so wrong... unless there is something happening next month! (I don't actually expect anything and if there was something it would probably be a small Famicom 40th anniversary celebration event, since they mentioned it in the JP Direct, or something like that)
His track record with this stuff is good but even he didn't seem entirely convinced something was happening in July so I wouldn't put too much thought into it yet.

Nintendo tends to celebrate the Famicom every 10 years, 20 was GBA SP Famicom, 30 was Famicom Retro console

A Limited Edition 40th Famicom Switch OLED colorway could be on the way

If Prime 4 is a no show this September I will be concerned. Even with COVID, after 4.5 years of dev, surely they have something to show for it. 2024 is looking pretty empty and it’s a perfect “one more thing” to close out on.

If Prime 4 is a no show this September I will be concerned. Even with COVID, after 4.5 years of dev, surely they have something to show for it. 2024 is looking pretty empty and it’s a perfect “one more thing” to close out on.
I could also seeing it finally redebuting on the Game Awards - Metroid is the type of series that would appeal to the "core" audience that watch those shows. But, yeah if we don't see it by the end of this year I would start getting a bit concerned.

they may want to show it only on the next console's event, although i do believe it will happen in the september direct, if it happens.

I could also seeing it finally redebuting on the Game Awards - Metroid is the type of series that would appeal to the "core" audience that watch those shows. But, yeah if we don't see it by the end of this year I would start getting a bit concerned.
I do believe there is a chance because mp4 is very much perfectly suited for the TGA, but that would unprecedented as you mentioned, i dont think it will happen but there is a small chance. Would be incredibly hype if it happened tho.

I think it depends on what approach they're wanting to have with this game's marketing. If the game is like holiday 2024, they might want to fully reveal it only by next June and have a release date not far from the first footage (like Dread). I really hope that's not the case tho.

They can have the Bayonetta 3(and to some extent Pikmin 4 's) approach and re-reveal the game this Direct with a 2024 date that's revealed later.

6 years of development (if holiday 2024) is a hell of a lot of time that wasn't in the cards back when the reboot was announced nor anything before Switch era, but seeing TotK took that long and so will the next 3D Mario, it's not the catastrophe scenario yet.

My believe is it's still H1 2024(now I'm thinking May) and it's re-revealed with the release date in September like TotK.

Can be March still tho, since the June Direct, apart from "we're having games in 2024(5s of footage of Peach game without a title and LM2 remastermake)" really was very focused on H2 2023 stuff, and they might've wanted the reveal of MP4 to be a storm of its own and not get overshadowed by a new mainline Mario game and the RPG remake(both generated an insane amount of buzz so it's understandable).
Yeah ... No.
I don't really think they'll reveal Metroid Prime 4 at the TGAs when they chose to shadowdrop Prime Remastered in February instead of announcing it there, despite also being perfect for the show.
I think TotK DLC is more likely than MP4.

There’s no concern if they don’t show it. It just means they want to save it for the Switch 2 reveal as a big cross gen title.
The only scenario I see this panning out is if the game is effectively done and they sit on it. Retro has gone a decade without a new retail release, it’s hard to not feel like there are issues there.

The only scenario I see this panning out is if the game is effectively done and they sit on it. Retro has gone a decade without a new retail release, it’s hard to not feel like there are issues there.
I think it’s just unfortunate this is how it’s played out for Retro, but that’s how I see it. Since DK they spent years working on a game only for it to get canned. Then they start working on MP4 and Covid comes and severely slows development down. Nintendo got to a point where they told them it’s going to be a cross gen game.

All this happening is going to make them go 10 years without releasing a new game.

There’s no concern if they don’t show it. It just means they want to save it for the Switch 2 reveal as a big cross gen title.
They didn't do it for BotW with Wii U being a dead platform. They still made a whole E3 floor themed after it and had big showings for the game on Wii U, despite the game not having a release date yet and the Switch porting barely having started. And Switch was revealed 4 months after that.

MP4 has been announced for 6 year. They came publicly to announce it's been rebooted 4.5 years ago. They aren't sitting on it for a single day just like they didn't sit on BotW, TotK, Splatoon 3 and Odyssey.

Switch 2 reveal might not happen until late summer 2024, and they won't reveal the first footage of the game on a trailer for the new platform.

It can come alongside Switch 2, it can come after Switch 2 is out, but it'll surely be shown as a Switch game before that. No reason why they'd wait until the last possible moment to reveal the game.

Remember, if BotW was only revealed at the Switch presentation it would have had 1.5 month from reveal to release.

My expectation is that if it's holiday 2024, it gets revealed either September like Bayo 3 or February.

Prime 4 being a crossgen game doesn't automatically mean that we'll only see it at the new hardware presentation. They can show a trailer on the next Direct and then announce it as crossgen next year.

If you're saying that they give the lightest Direct of the year the shortest wait time, I agree, but still, for my personal tastes the September Directs have been lacking for a while
moreso that they're light because they're shortly after what is historically the Big Direct

People gonna put words in my mouth whatever. I just said if we don’t see it then obviously it’s being saved. We can still see it this year

moreso that they're light because they're shortly after what is historically the Big Direct
September will always be lighter because it’s going into the holidays. Not much you can announce that’s big for the next 4 months at least. In September you’d have to announce stuff further out like a Luigi’s Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing. Those reveals weren’t even that good. AC sucked

Actually the more I think about it I think we’ll see Metroid Prime 4 here which is super exciting

Last edited:
September will always be lighter because it’s going into the holidays. Not much you can announce that’s big for the next 4 months at least. In September you’d have to announce stuff further out like a Luigi’s Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing. Those reveals weren’t even that good. AC sucked

Actually the more I think about it I think we’ll see Metroid Prime 4 here which is super exciting
Yeah I'd be absolutely shocked if we don't see MP4 by the end of the year, if for no other reason than Nintendo willingly releasing Prime Remastered as a shadowdrop so early in the year. If Prime 4 was always going to be revealed next year, they could've held onto the remaster for even longer

Yeah I'd be absolutely shocked if we don't see MP4 by the end of the year, if for no other reason than Nintendo willingly releasing Prime Remastered as a shadowdrop so early in the year. If Prime 4 was always going to be revealed next year, they could've held onto the remaster for even longer
Yeah they did shadow drop the remaster which made me highly believe we were going to see MP4 at E3, then Nintendo announced they weren’t going to be there. Showing Metroid Prime 4 would be the huge announcement/reveal for the September Direct. NSO should get new titles announced and I think F-Zero will be shadow dropped.

Those and getting 5 minutes for Mario Wonder and a full reveal of the Peach game would be a very good direct.

Yeah they did shadow drop the remaster which made me highly believe we were going to see MP4 at E3, then Nintendo announced they weren’t going to be there. Showing Metroid Prime 4 would be the huge announcement/reveal for the September Direct. NSO should get new titles announced and I think F-Zero will be shadow dropped.

Those and getting 5 minutes for Mario Wonder and a full reveal of the Peach game would be a very good direct.
I think you and I have the same exact expectations for next Direct lol. Peach game reveal, Mario RPG new trailer with more gameplay and any extras, same for DP Returns, Mario Wonder spotlight, MP4 one more thing, some DLC updates, and F-Zero in the GCN shadowdrop slot. What do you think would open the Direct in this scenario? I'm going Splatoon 3 Side Order. LM2 remastered will probably only be expanded upon in 2024.

I think you and I have the same exact expectations for next Direct lol. Peach game reveal, Mario RPG new trailer with more gameplay and any extras, same for DP Returns, Mario Wonder spotlight, MP4 one more thing, some DLC updates, and F-Zero in the GCN shadowdrop slot. What do you think would open the Direct in this scenario? I'm going Splatoon 3 Side Order. LM2 remastered will probably only be expanded upon in 2024.
I can see Splatoon opening it up. Nintendo’s openers are all over the place tbh. I’m done guessing it’ll be some big new game lol. A dlc can open for sure. Mario Wonder in the middle and Metroid Prime 4 to close.

I don’t think it’s totally impossible that Side Order gets a stealth drop sometime before the next general. Octo Expansion was teased in the March 2018 Direct (albeit with a bit of gameplay, which we still don’t have for Side Order) but the full reveal didn’t come from the E3 Direct that year, but from a surprise shadowdrop during the Splatoon 2 World Championships later that E3. It was still simply dated for “Summer 2018” when briefly shown in a sizzle reel in the Direct, even though it was about to drop that week.

If it isn’t dropped before September we’ll definitely get that in the September Direct though, alongside Mario Kart Wave 5, one or two smaller surprises for Fall / Late 2023, whatever’s launching in January-March 2024 and one of the major titles for later in 2024. Latter two points are business as usual for Fall Directs; they always do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post-match analysis of leakers and gotchas over who was right to doubt/believe rumours does not need hostility. Please treat other members with kindness.

Back
Top Bottom