• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour New Switch model for Q4 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes me a bit sad that such a beautiful game as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is condemned to suffer terrible perfomance issues and low resolution forever, when it could be one of the most beautiful games of any console if it ran on more powerful hardware.
My love for some Nintendo exclusive titles makes me want them to look and feel as good as current technology allows.
XC2 has terrible performance issues because it was cobbled together in just under 3 years by Monolith while a good chunk of their staff was away working on BotW. X and 3 (especially the former) look and run far better because Monolith had the time that they needed and weren't understaffed. The same argument can be made for Pokémon, 3houses, XCDE, etc

Your bump is coming. It’s inevitable. People just need to chill and wait like every generation.
as a nintendo fan we've been waiting since 2006... even longer if you expected some bump after gamecube...
the bump never feels satisfactory as it's been a gen behind for 17 years now... we have a real chance to be back in the modern realm of development (something that hasn't really happened since 2001)
Just being able to run similar code and similar resolutions is a big deal

Its not about owning sony its about having hardware that developers don't scoff at. Its understandable to be anxious for this change

It's tired because it's been true for 6 years
No, it isn't, outside of a handful of titles.

Wanting a new, more powerful Switch is fine. Continuously painting the current Switch in a bad light is tiring. Not to mention the comically wrong cycle of "new game get announced -> "that's OBVIOUSLY running on Switch Pro" -> game is released on current Switch", which has been going since at least 2020.
XC2 has terrible performance issues because it was cobbled together in just under 3 years by Monolith while a good chunk of their staff was away working on BotW. X and 3 (especially the former) look and run far better because Monolith had the time that they needed and weren't understaffed. The same argument can be made for Pokémon, 3houses, XCDE, etc
Comparing XC2 to XC3 and Three Houses to Engage really highlights that the problem of the early games wasn't with the hardware itself.

All I know is that the new hardware is definitely coming faster by constantly arguing about the same thing. Had it confirmed by Miyamoto earlier.

Seems to happen a lot tho doesn’t it? The industry moves forward, team ambitions move forward, and Switch is demanding that these developers work harder, with far less at their disposal, and less choice in artistic style ie. semi-realistic is continuously off the table. Whether intended or not, this is a veiled ‘lazy developer’ argument or a variant of it.

What evidence do you have that Xenoblade 2 was ‘cobbled together’? It was a fantastic game in many respects, and it’s weakest design aspects we’re around UI/UX, which says they probably just didn’t have the talent or experience in that area to deliver (and I think they’ve admitted this in interviews). They probably did optimize the game quite a bit. The team shouldn’t be required to spend an extra 2-3 years to deliver a game like Xenoblade 2 in such a way that audiences are all happy, nor would Nintendo necessarily approve of that timeline.

as a nintendo fan we've been waiting since 2006... even longer if you expected some bump after gamecube...
the bump never feels satisfactory as it's been a gen behind for 17 years now... we have a real chance to be back in the modern realm of development (something that hasn't really happened since 2001)

Its not about owning sony its about having hardware that developers don't scoff at. Its understandable to be anxious for this change

I mean, I feel the exact same way about the idea of being tied to a massive box like the PS5. It's so archaic.

4tvuhv.jpg
For like two years

...Xenoblade 3 runs fine, wth? I haven't played Bayo 3 but from what I've heard it mostly just suffers from some frame drops, and I've no idea what issues are going on with FE.
disagreed, going back to XC3 from ER when wave 3 dropped made my eyes bleed from how low the resolution got. There are also some framerate issues for a game running at 30fps. It's not as bad as XC2 but it really isn't much better. Bayonetta 3 looks worse than 2 and has worse frame rate drops than the WiiU version. FE's visuals are hampered, although the game is good on the performance side

Seems to happen a lot tho doesn’t it? The industry moves forward, team ambitions move forward, and Switch is demanding that these developers work harder, with far less at their disposal, and less choice in artistic style ie. semi-realistic is continuously off the table. Whether intended or not, this is a veiled ‘lazy developer’ argument or a variant of it.
I don't understand where the 'lazy developer' thing is coming from when I literally said that the primary reason these games suffer from technical issues is because the staff didn't have enough time to polish the game to the standards you'd expect
What evidence do you have that Xenoblade 2 was ‘cobbled together’? It was a fantastic game in many respects, and it’s weakest design aspects we’re around UI/UX, which says they probably just didn’t have the talent or experience in that area to deliver (and I think they’ve admitted this in interviews). They probably did optimize the game quite a bit. The team shouldn’t be required to spend an extra 2-3 years to deliver a game like Xenoblade 2 in such a way that audiences are all happy, nor would Nintendo necessarily approve of that timeline.
I also like XC2 but when you place it next to X and 3 it immediately becomes clear how lacking in polish it is by comparison. The features added in post-launch updates like Event Theater, NG+, and the new blades from Torna make it evident that they wanted to include more content from the start but had to compromise to meet their deadlines and I don't see how that can't be applied to the technical side of things

disagreed, going back to XC3 from ER when wave 3 dropped made my eyes bleed from how low the resolution got. There are also some framerate issues for a game running at 30fps. It's not as bad as XC2 but it really isn't much better. Bayonetta 3 looks worse than 2 and has worse frame rate drops than the WiiU version. FE's visuals are hampered, although the game is good on the performance side
I'm not particularly shocked Xenoblade 3 looks worse than Eldin Ring. Seems rather obvious.

I don't mean to sound dumb or anything when I say this, but I don't understand why everyone thinks next gen hardware is gonna be some silver bullet that'll fix all the Switch's problems. Third party support will be exactly like the current Switch. Decent last gen ports, some miracle current gen ports, with some companies barely supporting the Switch 2 for no apparent reason. And at the end, support will drop once next gen systems come out. It's going to be this same cycle all over again. We don't know what tech will look like in another 7 years. The Switch 2 tech will probably be outdated again.

Nintendo will never catch up, so why bother?

this is why I'd still prefer a "pro" to a "2"

these games are good enough, just spiff them up a little and get them to 60
Here's the interesting thing that I find about this conversation - the current gen consoles kind of already do this? PS5 is practically a PS4 Pro Pro with some exclusives, it runs the old games better and it got cross gen releases for like three years. The Xbox Series consoles are even closer to that, having basically the same interface as the Xbox One line. So at this point, why not just call it "Switch 2," release some cross gen for a few years, have exclusives after that, and call it a day? It's basically the same thing.

I don't understand where the 'lazy developer' thing is coming from when I literally said that the primary reason these games suffer from technical issues is because the staff didn't have enough time to polish the game to the standards you'd expect

You called it cobbled together. You presumed it was assembled without staffing. These are big assumptions - is there any evidence to this? Them assisting with Breath of the Wild does not mean some skeleton crew was making in house titles.

If we instead presume it wasn’t some under-resourced thing, the unspoken answer is that they didn’t spend enough time, or didn’t develop it sensibly with the right aims. Xenoblade 2 did not feel like some cheap title. It was massive, it’s world was at a minimum denser than X by a large margin, and just not connected in the same way.

I didn’t say you deliberately called them lazy. But your way of saying the developers didn’t / couldn’t devote enough resources ends up saying the same thing if it’s untrue, (which I believe personally believe to be the case).

Here's the interesting thing that I find about this conversation - the current gen consoles kind of already do this? PS5 is practically a PS4 Pro Pro with some exclusives, it runs the old games better and it got cross gen releases for like three years. The Xbox Series consoles are even closer to that, having basically the same interface as the Xbox One line. So at this point, why not just call it "Switch 2," release some cross gen for a few years, have exclusives after that, and call it a day? It's basically the same thing.
well switch 2 is a terrible name

and second, the vibe of a new nintendo console is different. you just know.

This would have been akin to Nintendo launching the New 3DS in 2018.
the state of the switch now is very different from that of the 3DS in 2017

we just got a new splatoon! with frame drops!

I should bow out. These threads or topics have brought the worst out of me recently. Have fun

strongly advise you all become a little dumber (like me)

instead of comparing to the xbox, when you see a pixelated shadow in splatoon say "yucky" like a baby and mentally take note that we need new hardware

It’s not about owning sony it’s about having hardware that developers don't scoff at. Its understandable to be anxious for this change
I’ve only ever owned Nintendo consoles since the nes and have always been happy with their graphical output. Graphics have never been the main reason why I get hyped for their consoles though. And it shouldn’t be for anyone else. Graphical parity with Microsoft and Sony or whoever is not gonna happen.

I don't mean to sound dumb or anything when I say this, but I don't understand why everyone thinks next gen hardware is gonna be some silver bullet that'll fix all the Switch's problems. Third party support will be exactly like the current Switch. Decent last gen ports, some miracle current gen ports, with some companies barely supporting the Switch 2 for no apparent reason. And at the end, support will drop once next gen systems come out. It's going to be this same cycle all over again. We don't know what tech will look like in another 7 years. The Switch 2 tech will probably be outdated again.

Nintendo will never catch up, so why bother?
I don't really care about third party support on Switch, for me it's just about having Nintendo games at resolutions higher than 1080p, and framerates that hit a stable 60fps more often than not. Metroid Dread for example looks okay at 900p on my tv but when I emulated it at 4k it looked absolutely incredible. I want more of that, rather than just thinking first party Nintendo games look okay.

I’ve only ever owned Nintendo consoles since the nes and have always been happy with their graphical output. Graphics have never been the main reason why I get hyped for their consoles though. And it shouldn’t be for anyone else. Graphical parity with Microsoft and Sony or whoever is not gonna happen.
so have I
I love nintendo this isn't just about graphics

well switch 2 is a terrible name

and second, the vibe of a new nintendo console is different. you just know.
They don't have to name it "Switch 2" for it to be a follow up to Switch. In an era where new systems aren't necessarily paradigm shifts in focus or branding or even the games you can play on the machine, your Switch 2 is your Switch Pro. And heck, if Nintendo wants to do something like, I dunno, Super Joy Con or a beefed up Pro Controller with more features or whatever, this doesn't stop them - look at Dualshock 4 vs DualSense!

It might be a bit "boring," yes, but it's also a relatively safe bet that matches what we've heard and it doesn't stop Nintendo from "innovating" in control schemes or updating the OS if they so wish. The lines can be blurred a bit.

You should be when you consider it looks pretty noticably worse than even ER on xbox one
Yeah...we're not gonna see eye to eye on this. I don't care enough about graphics to even know why you're signalling out the Xbox one version of ER.

Switch games run and still look fine to me. If the next gen is soon, great, if not, also great.

Yeah...we're not gonna see eye to eye on this. I don't care enough about graphics to even know why you're signalling out the Xbox one version of ER.

Switch games run and still look fine to me. If the next gen is soon, great, if not, also great.
XBO is the worst looking and performing version of ER

This time there may be a parity. That recent Call of Duty deal kinda suggest that the games will be easy to port. not necessarily means the device will be as powerful as PS5 and Xbox XS but Nintendo might have found a way of porting games as easily and cheaply as possible. With all that DLSS tech and stuff.

No, it isn't, outside of a handful of titles.

Wanting a new, more powerful Switch is fine. Continuously painting the current Switch in a bad light is tiring. Not to mention the comically wrong cycle of "new game get announced -> "that's OBVIOUSLY running on Switch Pro" -> game is released on current Switch", which has been going since at least 2020.
Thank you. I don't know how we continuously see better and better looking Switch games in just about every series (Splatoon, Kirby, Xenoblade, Metroid, etc.) and still hear this argument.

This time there may be a parity. That recent Call of Duty deal kinda suggest that the games will be easy to port. not necessarily means the device will be as powerful as PS5 and Xbox XS but Nintendo might have found a way of porting games as easily and cheaply as possible. With all that DLSS tech and stuff.
My fear with this talk of magic DLSS and parity, is switch 2 will be destined to get the same arguments from enthusiasts as Switch immediately after launch. Arguments like “why is Nintendo’s hybrid console graphics not as pretty as my PS5??” People are setting themselves up to be disappointed right out the gate again, just like they were with Switch.

u would think a nintendo forum would have learned from the smash bros leak pandemonium. leakers love to get real info and then sprinkle bullshit on top. quit falling for that shit.
Thank you. I don't know how we continuously see better and better looking Switch games in just about every series (Splatoon, Kirby, Xenoblade, Metroid, etc.) and still hear this argument.
through the incredible power of selective bias

What else besides graphics is the Switch not doing compared to the other consoles?
3 cores vs 8
3 gigs of ram vs 8-16
storage I/O
Switch made huge strides in finally getting the nintendo platform into a modern pipeline that supports modern code, with modern techniques in development pipelines (Most notable unreal support)

Most of these things will grow naturally as hardware releases.
It's not just about graphics, though it closely ties to image quality... but the gist of it is
You have to cram a fatty game into these specs... and in doing so make compromises (understandably so ... like you said ... a switch is never going to be a ps4 and a switch 2 is never going to be a ps5)
But currently these limiting factors affect how many enemies can be on screen at once, numbers of shadow casting lights, draw distances, streaming levels, Memory management, audio quality, foliage, resolutions framerates, texture fill rates, volumetrics, alpha transparencies, shader complexities, Dynamics and cloth sim, Animation systems ... the list goes on.
The main point here is the more they can eliminate these hurdles in their hardware design the better off the development pipeline is ... and being able to make it closer to other existing pipelines will allow development to not be so ... exclusive... and painful.
They could take dev feelings from "What a pain in my butt... I wish we didn't have to support this platform"... to "Hey wow that wasn't too bad and didn't take any more special steps than it needed to"
Now from a first party perspective I can't talk on from experience... but I can only presume that these limitations being lifted would be a relief... GRANTED... they only target one platform... so they develop within these limitations... but I'm positive these issues exist as evidenced by many pieces of software on the system... much of which if eliminated or at least greatly reduced would not only improve the development pipeline but also product quality.

My fear with this talk of magic DLSS and parity, is switch 2 will be destined to get the same arguments from enthusiasts as Switch immediately after launch. Arguments like “why is Nintendo’s hybrid console graphics not as pretty as my PS5??” People are setting themselves up to be disappointed right out the gate again, just like they were with Switch.
That kinda of discussion will never go away, it's a handheld tradition. But we definitely will see much more "miracle games" on Switch. Far more than The Witcher 3 and Doom. And that's what matter for millions of Switch owners. Number of games.

Because of the description I feel like it’s someone that saw the video beforehand and decided to drop some fake Switch 2 stuff just to throw chaos.

But...why do you care about enthusiasts being disappointed?
I mean, if you are fine with whatever perfomance Switch 2 has, the problem of expecting more power is theirs (ours 😅), not yours.

The Switch 2 is gonna be powerful enough for the vast majority of people the same way the Switch is.

Maybe I just kinda got lucky with my tastes. I only really play Nintendo games and Indies, with a few previous gen games (Portal 1/2, Immortals Fenyx Rising, 13 Sentinels and Persona, Crash Team Racing, Witcher 3, Skyrim) sprinkled in between. I'm not super interested in next gen games right now, if anything they've been pretty boring. A Switch 2 wouldn't really change my tastes. So I probably look at things differently idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom