• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour New Switch model for Q4 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhhh.

My biggest issue is that it seems like way too much information for a single outsourced programmer to know. Like, I'm trying to picture what exactly is your assignment that you'd know, say, the names of DLC; that there's new outfits, let alone in 1.2.0 specifically; know that there's a turtle Pokemon and they're the headliner for a DLC; know that Paradox Suicine/Virizion are imminent etc. Even their assignment was a general "make these DLC areas look not janky from start to finish," such that they were aware of all this information, how did they know, say, Topopogos would be shown today and not saved for a later announcement? The only job I feel that naturally brings you in contact with all this information exactly is the PR department or someone who had access to the Presents' materials proper--which contradicts their assertion that they're a programmer (and in turn suggests they are not working on the graphical patch that makes this discussion interesting).

Just something about it feels sketch. Idk.
They never claimed a timeframe for the announcement, just that these would be the DLC. Seeing literally just a development build of the game would have shown them most of what they claimed, since there's a giant button in the menu with DLC key art in it, now, which explains the uniforms if you dig into it. It's not clear how they would have known about the new paradoxes, though those aren't exactly the most well hidden (their moves have even been showing up in what I understand to be official TO tools as well as datamining) and the purported detail that Ogerpon has a unique Terastall appearance (a detail which remains unconfirmed). Also, like, anything involving 1.2.0 would have been done for some time now, so it would be pretty obvious what was included if they were involved.

I'm not saying that you should necessarily believe this, because the proximity to the stream is a bit of a red flag, but a lot of what they said is information that would probably be difficult to really hide from someone with access to dev builds of the game.

Ughh I wish
The internal fan on my switch is shit and if I play in docked it’ll constantly overheat, I’ve had to plug a usb fan in next to it - wouldve bought one then but that’s when there were lots of rumblings of a pro this year coming

When the reports came out a few weeks ago I kind of gave up on an upgraded version, so if this is true that’s good news. But I won’t get my hopes up

Why do people keep doing this to themselves? We have had 'solid' rumors of remodels for so many years at this point, probably hundreds of various leaks by now, and out of them we got... A higher battery life Switch, Lite and OLED, nothing even slightly resembling a 'Pro' or anything else. The Nvidia leak is the only info that might be credible.

I sort of expect Nintendo to try to make an "XL" model possibly this year with a bigger screen/Joycons and maybe the ability to play handheld games as if they are docked in turn (so maybe a higher res screen and battery/cooling to compensate) as sort of the final model for this line of Switch units, but that's entirely speculation based on thinking they will be curious to see how various sizes appeal/sell, that and I can't think of much else they can do outside of a proper 'pro' or successor.

Let's do ittt!
hell yeah!!

to clarify — it’s any enhanced model that represents the next step in Nintendo’s console journey, right? Like anything that makes a clear difference and has an at least modified name?

Just confirming that like… special edition OLEDs don’t count

also would like… a red box Switch tiny secret tech bump with no name shift / meaningful change count? because I feel like no, but I want to make sure I know what you’re thinking

hell yeah!!

to clarify — it’s any enhanced model that represents the next step in Nintendo’s console journey, right? Like anything that makes a clear difference and has an at least modified name?

Just confirming that like… special edition OLEDs don’t count

also would like… a red box Switch tiny secret tech bump with no name shift / meaningful change count? because I feel like no, but I want to make sure I know what you’re thinking
That is correct. It has to be a clear successor in some significant way.

Why do people keep doing this to themselves? We have had 'solid' rumors of remodels for so many years at this point, probably hundreds of various leaks by now, and out of them we got... A higher battery life Switch, Lite and OLED, nothing even slightly resembling a 'Pro' or anything else. The Nvidia leak is the only info that might be credible.

I sort of expect Nintendo to try to make an "XL" model possibly this year with a bigger screen/Joycons and maybe the ability to play handheld games as if they are docked in turn (so maybe a higher res screen and battery/cooling to compensate) as sort of the final model for this line of Switch units, but that's entirely speculation based on thinking they will be curious to see how various sizes appeal/sell, that and I can't think of much else they can do outside of a proper 'pro' or successor.
There is no point to an XL model from a lot of standpoints. At this point we’re just waiting, regardless of rumours, since it’s about that time to release new hardware in a console’s lifecycle.

why are people so desperate for a new model anyway? I feel like if you wanted a switch by this point, you wouldve got one. what is a new model really going to do for people?
I think it's people who already have a Switch the ones asking for new hardware. It's still ok as a portable console, it's horrible as a home console conected to a modern TV.

Why do people keep doing this to themselves?
Why not?

why are people so desperate for a new model anyway? I feel like if you wanted a switch by this point, you wouldve got one. what is a new model really going to do for people?
People want a Switch with a new, more powerful chipset, not a variant of the existing Switch.

I feel like there's probably a way to transform Switch successor rumors into a business because it never fails to get people engaged.

At the very least one could write a mildly successful book on the whole thing.

I feel like there's probably a way to transform Switch successor rumors into a business because it never fails to get people engaged.

At the very least one could write a mildly successful book on the whole thing.
Make a YouTube channel.

90% of Switch games look and run just fine
And the other 10%? Games like Pokémon, Tales of Symphonia, Tunic, Age of Calamity just to name a few are obviously not part of that. Plus you’re missing out on all the 3rd party games that wont even come out for Switch because it’s such old hardware, people tend to forget this.

So as far as your happy with games looking “just fine” instead of great, many titles missing the Switch completely and your favorite games are not part of the 10% that are absolutely devastating, yes it’s “fine”.

90% of Switch games are eShop shovelware as well, that's not really a great way to present an argument. When Nintendo's own recent first party games are struggling with the limits of the hardware, it's not really ideal.

But think of the other games that don't run fine, that are totally the switchs fault and not the people who made them, like Pokemon and Age of Calamity.

Pay no attention to Persona Strikers running better than AoC despite having more enemies on screen or the Pokemon games consistently being rushed out the gate.

And the other 10%? Games like Pokémon, Tales of Symphonia, Tunic, Age of Calamity just to name a few are obviously not part of that. Plus you’re missing out on all the 3rd party games that wont even come out for Switch because it’s such old hardware, people tend to forget this.

So as far as your happy with games looking “just fine” instead of great, many titles missing the Switch completely and your favorite games are not part of the 10% that are absolutely devastating, yes it’s “fine”.
Tunic runs great, other than a few hiccups here and there. I've put a ton of hours into it on Switch. The other games are the fault of the developers. There's no reason for Pokemon to run as bad as it does.

Tunic runs great, other than a few hiccups here and there. I've put a ton of hours into it on Switch. The other games are the fault of the developers. There's no reason for Pokemon to run as bad as it does.
Tunic runs ok even if it’s 30 FPS instead of 60, but doesn’t look anywhere as good as on other platforms despite its simple art style. Play it on other hardware, It’s night and day actually.

”Fault of the developers” (lazy developers?) it takes so much more time to port a game on Switch when you don’t have the special knowledge and capabilities Nintendo has for their games. We both know that more RAM and more horse power would make development much easier.

And then there’s still the argument of so, so many titles straight up missing on Switch. And I’m not even talking about exclusive AAA titles like Resident Evil in the GameCube era, the ship for games like these has sailed many years ago.

But think of the other games that don't run fine, that are totally the switchs fault and not the people who made them, like Pokemon and Age of Calamity.

Pay no attention to Persona Strikers running better than AoC despite having more enemies on screen or the Pokemon games consistently being rushed out the gate.

Pokemon isn’t the Switch’s fault.

Just look at Tears of the Kingdom or Monster Hunter Rise. They look a generation ahead of V/S.

Hopefully better performance and at least 1080p

have you seen switch games?

I think it's people who already have a Switch the ones asking for new hardware. It's still ok as a portable console, it's horrible as a home console conected to a modern TV.

Why not?

People want a Switch with a new, more powerful chipset, not a variant of the existing Switch.

Thanks for the responses. I just dont get it cause it plays games. 've never put a premium on graphics or even performance as long as the game is entertaining, it just seems like people who keep hoping for some upgraded hardware that makes everything blazing fast or hi-fi are just working themselves into a frenzy about something that will probably never exist.

In awe of people still defending switch's hardware in 2023
It's not a matter of defending it, it's a matter of not being hyperbolic about how lacking it is. Pokemon came out, and runs like shit because it's Pokemon, and now suddenly "every first party game is suffering on switch" is being parroted by the people who have been talking about more powerful hardware since 2018. I'd love more powerful hardware but it can arrive when it needs to, untill then I'm 100% positive the games that are coming to the system will be fine.

And the argument over the games that are missing the system is a loaded one anyways because most of them wouldn't even come if the system was more powerful. It's all about who moneyhatted who and whether or not the developer thinks there's a strong enough demand for the game.

The reasons I want a new Switch include boosting the existing good-looking games to their sharpest heights, to play Prime and TotK at an eye-searing 2160p, and to get games like Elden Ring and Jedi Survivor on the go. We shouldn't need a new piece of hardware to brute force better performance from poorly optimized titles, for those, I would demand patches first for the hardware I already bought and purchased that game for. When there's a shitty PC port I don't go out and spend extra money on PC parts, I wait, or I don't buy the game.

Tunic runs ok even if it’s 30 FPS instead of 60, but doesn’t look anywhere as good as on other platforms despite its simple art style. Play it on other hardware, It’s night and day actually.

”Fault of the developers” (lazy developers?) it takes so much more time to port a game on Switch when you don’t have the special knowledge and capabilities Nintendo has for their games. We both know that more RAM and more horse power would make development much easier.

And then there’s still the argument of so, so many titles straight up missing on Switch. And I’m not even talking about exclusive AAA titles like Resident Evil in the GameCube era, the ship for games like these has sailed many years ago.
I mean, of course something on lower powered hardware is gonna look worse than games on advanced hardware. This isn't going to change with the next Switch. Portable hardware will always have a catch. Nintendo will never catch up.

Yes, it is the fault of the developers. No, I'm not calling them lazy. If games need more time they should be given that time. Pokemon was used as an example. There's absolutely ZERO reason for that game to look and run and horribly as it does when there's other similar games on the system that look and run so much better. This is a first party Nintendo game we're talking about. The resources are there.

As for third party games, that is a problem, but not a problem that's easily solved with new hardware. There are games that can run on the current system that still never got ported. I have a feeling it'll be the same situation on the next system.

In the past few months, we've gotten some of the worst looking games on Switch (Pokemon, Bayonetta 3 at times, Alan Wake Remastered) and some of the best looking games on Switch (Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Metroid Prime Remastered, Nier Automata, Persona 5 Royal, Fire Emblem Engage from what I've seen). Clearly there's still some power left in the system. It's not dead yet.

Thanks for the responses. I just dont get it cause it plays games. 've never put a premium on graphics or even performance as long as the game is entertaining, it just seems like people who keep hoping for some upgraded hardware that makes everything blazing fast or hi-fi are just working themselves into a frenzy about something that will probably never exist.
I know for a fact that I enjoy games runing at 4k or 60 fps a lot more than games running at 900p 30fps, that's it. And not only that, better perfomance can improve load times or add new features to the gameplay experience.

It makes me a bit sad that such a beautiful game as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is condemned to suffer terrible perfomance issues and low resolution forever, when it could be one of the most beautiful games of any console if it ran on more powerful hardware.
My love for some Nintendo exclusive titles makes me want them to look and feel as good as current technology allows.

It's not a matter of defending it, it's a matter of not being hyperbolic about how lacking it is. Pokemon came out, and runs like shit because it's Pokemon, and now suddenly "every first party game is suffering on switch" is being parroted by the people who have been talking about more powerful hardware since 2018. I'd love more powerful hardware but it can arrive when it needs to, untill then I'm 100% positive the games that are coming to the system will be fine.

And the argument over the games that are missing the system is a loaded one anyways because most of them wouldn't even come if the system was more powerful. It's all about who moneyhatted who and whether or not the developer thinks there's a strong enough demand for the game.
Pokemon, xenoblade, FE, Bayonetta all had recent releases that clearly suffer. Prime remaster is the only one spared which is at its base a GC game and even that had a few concessions to make.

Just like the nes, super nes, n64, and game cube hardware before it, I’ll defend the switch hardware in 2023 and beyond..be in awe of me!
There was nothing wrong about the hardware of those for the time, although the cartridge/mini disc's were an issue

Persona strikers runs better than AOC because it's extremely limited in what kind of interactions you have with the enemies and environment, whereas they went and pretty much fully integrated the shiekah slate and all its abilities for AOC.

Matches persona 5 well in that it's all style, little substance.

4tvuhv.jpg

Persona strikers runs better than AOC because it's extremely limited in what kind of interactions you have with the enemies and environment, whereas they went and pretty much fully integrated the shiekah slate and all its abilities for AOC.

Matches persona 5 well in that it's all style, little substance.
Or alternatively AoC just runs bad because KT didn't optimize it enough, and it released during the height of the pandemic.

Also you're entitled to your wrong opinion about P5, I won't hold it against you. (This is a joke, sorry if it comes off super rude, it's fine if you didn't like P5.)
Pokemon, xenoblade, FE, Bayonetta all had recent releases that clearly suffer. Prime remaster is the only one spared which is at its base a GC game and even that had a few concessions to make.
...Xenoblade 3 runs fine, wth? I haven't played Bayo 3 but from what I've heard it mostly just suffers from some frame drops, and I've no idea what issues are going on with FE.

Last edited:
The, "Nintendo first party games are struggling on Switch" is such a tired argument. If that mattered at all, we should've gotten a new Switch right after Xenoblade 2 or BotW, both of which launched before the Switch turned 1 year old.

We're entering the 7th market year of the Switch, it's normal to want a successor by this time. It's especially frustrating as Nintendo is an extremely secretive company that's allergic to acknowledging new hardware

...Xenoblade 3 runs fine, wth? I haven't played Bayo 3 but from what I've heard it mostly just suffers from some frame drops, and I've no idea what issues are going on with FE.
Three Houses is just cheeks, visually. but that's KT's fault

Engage is fine, thanks to a more stable engine, Unity

For me Switch games retroactively end up looking worse because when I first got a Switch in 2017 I mostly played on PS4 or PC at 1080p so the drop to 900p or even 720p didn't feel that bad. Now in 2023 I'm playing basically every game at 4k or close to it so the drop to Switch resolutions nowadays is just killer for some games.

Let’s just forgo any excitement for improvements in hybrid technology because Switch is just fine - it plays functional, occasionally decent looking games. Pack it up y’all. /s

It’s been seven years. Standards change. When 4K video wasn’t possible at home, or TV sizes above 32” were hardly accessible, people obviously weren’t that dissatisfied with resolutions because it’s the best that existed. But here we are, with some 4K 65” TVs costing hundreds, likely flooding the second hand market if you’re really strapped, and gaming having normalized 1440p-4K for around 7-8 years now, while Switch remains more of a 720p console than even a 1080p one.

What some don’t seem to recognize or deliberately omit from their arguments against Nintendo advancing their tech, is that many of us that want something better aren’t asking for parity with Sony. Nintendo already created a generation hardware gap in 2006 with the Wii. Now they’re sitting closer to two console generations behind. The Hybrid design ensured consumers rationalized the choice, but I think it’s perfectly reasonable after 7 years to want a bump.

I can't wait for when Pokémon gen 10 comes out on Switch 2 and people are again asking for a Switch 2 Pro because the games have no optimization again.

Poor performance of first-party software on outdated consoles is more than anything the fault of the developers for overstepping the boundaries of the hardware they were working with

Let’s just forgo any excitement for improvements in hybrid technology because Switch is just fine - it plays functional, occasionally decent looking games. Pack it up y’all. /s

It’s been seven years. Standards change. When 4K video wasn’t possible at home, or TV sizes above 32” were hardly accessible, people obviously weren’t that dissatisfied with resolutions because it’s the best that existed. But here we are, with some 4K 65” TVs costing hundreds, likely flooding the second hand market if you’re really strapped, and gaming having normalized 1440p-4K for around 7-8 years now, while Switch remains more of a 720p console than even a 1080p one.

What some don’t seem to recognize or deliberately omit from their arguments against Nintendo advancing their tech, is that many of us that want something better aren’t asking for parity with Sony. Nintendo already created a generation hardware gap in 2006 with the Wii. Now they’re sitting closer to two console generations behind. The Hybrid design ensured consumers rationalized the choice, but I think it’s perfectly reasonable after 7 years to want a bump.
Your bump is coming. It’s inevitable. People just need to chill and wait like every generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom