• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion New Mario Strikers Battle League Japanese overview trailer (UPDATE: English trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lack of characters is expected. I remember hating the original because the only substantial unlockable was that horrible generic robot team. am I wrong or are the single player modes looking really barebones as well?

looks like this is following the pattern of tennis aces and golf run

Are there no stage hazards? I understand that there's items that do the same thing, but c'mon!

Looks great… but I think I’ll be saving another £50 with this one. Honestly don’t know what’s up with Nintendo this gen and having all their sports games lack meaningful content (I know there’ll be updates, but I doubt it’ll be the content I care about).

Not in terms of characters, as games period. My character-related beef is Strikers focused

Power Tennis, sure, since Aces had a completely different focus. But I don't really see how Toadstool Tour was any more of a complete game than Super Rush when most of its sidemodes aside from ring shot were pretty superfluous.

Hype deflated. I was expecting a new trailer would show many more things, except the aid tackle, I don't see anything new.

I don't care much about the characters and more about the gameplay.
My perception is that the game is closer to the GC game than Wii one. Speed of the ball slower, Strike impact minimal, destruction low.
Yes, a lot of customisation but the gameplay arcade feeling is lackluster.

The old Wii trailer sold me the game more.

It looks great, but at the same time a bit underwhelming..
Hopefully there's a lot of more content not yet shown.. but they really need to ramp up that soon considering it's just a month out.

But I guess since it's not even 3 years since NLG released their last game content would be lacking, much like most other sports games..

Looks great… but I think I’ll be saving another £50 with this one. Honestly don’t know what’s up with Nintendo this gen and having all their sports games lack meaningful content (I know there’ll be updates, but I doubt it’ll be the content I care about).
I've never really cared about a single player mode (these sports games are clearly meant to be multiplayer focused and I'd be happy if they just focused on that instead of half assed single player modes) but the lack of stage hazards and characters is pretty bad. Is there no side modes either? It looks like just basic Strikers with online and that's it. What about a mode with Mario karts? Or four smaller goals? Or one goal? What about fields that aren't rectangles or have holes in the middle? Or different stage gimmicks like slippery ice or quicksand (again what's with no stage hazards)? And I'm just a guy with too much free time, I'm sure Nintendo could come up with better. So why does this feel so basic?

Also, Nintendo/Camelot/NLG. You have a ton of unique worlds from Mario and DK games to pick from. Please stop using the most generic settings. Please. Super Rush was bad enough with this.

Also, Nintendo/Camelot/NLG. You have a ton of unique worlds from Mario and DK games to pick from. Please stop using the most generic settings. Please. Super Rush was bad enough with this.
No u will keep getting grass,lava,ice and desert worlds and u will accept it. 😠

Bit concerned about a lack of single player content, would have liked some kind of career mode or something fun like that but the gameplay itself looks fantastic

I've been telling people that they shouldn't expect much of a Mario sports game, neither in content nor presentation. This is just what these games are.

It looks more like a mix of GC and Wii strikers, some stuff seems to be stuff from Strikers Charged and some stuff has been reverted back to Strikers such as the gear is expanding on the character designs in Strikers Charged with more gameplay depth and even bringing back stuff like Bowser's Wolverine claws and the stadiums are being reverted back to just being cosmetic like GC Strikers and the Hyper Strikes are scoring only 2 goals like GC Strikers.

Here's some comparison shots of new vs reveal trailer to show the graphical improvements.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Costumes look cool at least though , if the gameplay is fun and if the online is MK8 good then I can see the gameplay loop of playing online matches to get new costumes to be really fun.

I agree on the content, but the presentation of the game is pretty great from what I’ve seen.

It does look great but from what they've shown of the fields it's pretty toned down from Strikers Charged with only light aesthetic changes.

can't wait
yes, I hope they will add more contents long the road, but still looks great, "feels" (I still haven't played it lol) great and honestly it doesn't seem to have cut that many contents out compared to the previous ones (and will have way better online in terms of modes, I suppose)

I for one am happy they toned-down Strikers Charged. I still prefer the original one over it because of the ridiculous mechanics they included like harging the ball through passes which implied everyone played the same way and the totally broken super shots.

The new mechanic of pushing a team mate to give it a boost looks cool and not too unbalanced.

This looks so much fun!

So... An overview trailer means it's showing everything of the game, right? Are they really going to launch this with only 10 characters? The character select screen didn't show any more, I'm doubting they're hiding additional characters. They've also not shown any other mode besides online, is that it? What about the different stadiums, stage hazards, more gear besides the 4 or so we've seen?

This seems even less than Charged on the Wii. It had Challenges and Tournament Cup among others.
It also had 12 characters, plus 8 side kicks which we don't have anymore at all.

I really hope it's not launching barebones, but at this point it seems like it will. I really hate Nintendo's strategy with these games man.

Game looks fun and the visuals are great, but as others said it seems to have a lack of content. Both this game and Splatoon 3 are not marketed well by Nintendo, both lack some big new features and we don't now yet how much launch day content we will have.

I hope that both have something not revelated yet that will make the games more appealing, and a solid support roadmap.

I can't believe this is running on 7 yo soc. NLG are technical wizards.
I hope we will get at least 5 more characters post launch. 10 is very low.
How many (half) stages are there?

Lack of characters will hurt this game especially, many teams will have the same characters against each other online

really liked the music in this trailer

We don’t really know but I think it’s been suggested that every character has their own half-stage.

This game is addition by subtractions, getting rid of bad characters like Daisy to keep the roster quality high with good characters like Rosalina.

When we getting european trailer its already 13:25 here 🧐 , Nintendo is trying to making this game flop to not have to make another Strikers ever… :(

So that means that with every new characters we will get new half stage? Sounds great to me. That would also explain why we only have 10 characters at launch.

It's possible! I think we've only seen four differently themed half fields, for Mario, Luigi, Bowser and DK respectively.

Wonder if they will do smth for World Cup even if it's just schedule a DLC a couple of weeks before it starts.

I get it wasn't for everyone, but I'm going to miss the edgy attitude of strikers. It was such a unique experience tonally compared to the other Mario subseries.

It does feel like the gear system has largely led to the culling of the cast of Strikers from Battle League. The lost captains get the most attention online (especially Daisy) but the majority of the cuts are from the sidekick system being gone. Meaning the likes of Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Boo, Hammer Bro, Monty Mole, Birdo, and Dry Bones who were all in Charged.

The possible silver lining is hopefully the gear system allows for a better meta game. Charged felt unbalanced with how every team was loaded with Boos.

I can, it doesnt looks as good as lm3 even if it still looks good.

As for singleplayer, honestly i always get surprised on how much importance people here place on that. I know that i aint playing single player on mario kart 8 after going online lol

It does feel like the gear system has largely led to the culling of the cast of Strikers from Battle League. The lost captains get the most attention online (especially Daisy) but the majority of the cuts are from the sidekick system being gone. Meaning the likes of Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Boo, Hammer Bro, Monty Mole, Birdo, and Dry Bones who were all in Charged.

The possible silver lining is hopefully the gear system allows for a better meta game. Charged felt unbalanced with how every team was loaded with Boos.

Yup, I have a feeling that less characters means easier balancing.

removing characters for balancing in a game like this always seems like such an obvious bad design decision. people are buying the game because Mario is in it you want to have more Mario characters not less.

I can, it doesnt looks as good as lm3 even if it still looks good.

As for singleplayer, honestly i always get surprised on how much importance people here place on that. I know that i aint playing single player on mario kart 8 after going online lol

Even in Fifa and NBA 2k, after about 20 games in Career mode/Manager Mode, I quit because I figure out how to exploit the AI on the highest difficulty. The alternative is to use a really bad team and try to win/get promoted. In any case, the AI is still very easily exploited.

I am with you man. Certain games lacking a real single player element doesn't bother me. If they could build out a real story mode/career mode, then it would be worth it. But after seeing Mario sports efforts with Adventure mode, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

In 2026 Nintendo will being back Mario Baseball but only Mario is playable. Everyone on the field is Mario. The umpire is Mario. The people in the stands are also Mario.

Mario
I'd buy this just for the surrealist energy.

Being John Mariokovich easy 10 millie seller.

The fact only 10 characters were announced makes me fearful this one is also going down the drip-feed path.

I don't have much of an issue with a drip feed if we are given a clear idea of what to expect pre-launch.

Not so much GC but the one on the Wii had an awesome roster with extras like Birdo and Hammer Bro, unique victory animations for every character and unique maps with terrain, these new ones seem very samey, and from what I can see of the intros they seem very short and a little generic.

Mario Golf and Tennis on GC blow out their Switch versions at launch
Still only had 12 characters, which this could still match at launch if there’s unlockables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom