• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion New Mario Strikers Battle League Japanese overview trailer (UPDATE: English trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still only had 12 characters, which this could still match at launch if there’s unlockables

Sidekicks​

• Hammer Bro.
  • Toad
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Birdo
  • Boo
  • Dry Bones
  • Monty Mole
  • Shy Guy
They have unique victory animations, themes and 'special'

I don't have much of an issue with a drip feed if we are given a clear idea of what to expect pre-launch.

This. I don't mind that path as long as we get a clear indication. I understand why Nintendo does it, because their metrics probably show that it works for certain types of games.

Mario Tennis Aces is an excellent game. It has a ton of characters, online tournaments, classic rules and mario rules, varied courts with and without hazzards, mini games, and a single player mode which is really just one big challenges and events mode.

So if Battle League gets a roadmap, then I don't mind.

I do want some more regular characters like Toads or Koopas or whatever though, just to make the teams more varied.

If the game goes the Aces route with a new character every month then fine. It sucks that they’ll have to go through the bog-standard picks like Daisy and Bowser Jr. before we get anything interesting but at least the game would end up with a large roster in the end.

Unfortunately the recent trailer didn’t give any indication of post-launch support so who knows what they will actually add. It could be just gear for all we know.

Having a Strikers game without Daisy yelling Nintendo and Next Level Games just feels wrong. On top of the lack of sidekicks, like the roster should at least be compensating on that.

Gameplay wise I prefer the original to Charged, so this looks good for me on that front. Do hope they still keep the charm of the animations, intros, outros, etc.

hot take

im happy with rosalina over daisy and hope we get Pauline before her too

Yup, I have a feeling that less characters means easier balancing.
Do the characters each have their own unique statline? I thought it was all about the gear. Like Mario Kart for example. Still doesn't mean it's acceptable to have an abysmal amount of characters.

Still only had 12 characters, which this could still match at launch if there’s unlockables
You can't compare them since Charged had sidekicks and only 1 "main" player. Which comes down to 20 characters I think, all at launch.

Pretty disappointed with the lackluster roster size, and I do wonder if it's a result of all the gear customization. Game itself looks very fun with some gorgeous visuals, though.

Some observations from the video/website:

You can bash-boost your own teammates to:
- Give them a speed boost forward
- Knock them into an opponent to tackle them and/or steal the ball from them
- Give them slide momentum into a stronger goal attempt

Each character has unique starting point stats, but armor can be used to manipulate these stats.
There are 4 armor types including:
- Helmets
- Arm/Hand armor
- Chest-Shoulder gear
- Shoe gear

They effect five different stats:
- Speed: How fast you move on the field.
- Strength: Effects how much enemy tackles hinder you and whether you lose the ball or not if tackled.
- Shot Speed: How easily the goalie can catch your goal attempts.
- Passing Speed: How quickly you can pass to a teammate.
- Kick accuracy: How far from the goal you can attempt to score with accuracy.

Battle League info (more difficult to parse out since it's in Japanese)
A lot of customization for your teams and home field:
- You can put custom numbers on your back armor/jersey.
- You can choose the style, colors, and team logo for your team jerseys.
- For your home field ( or half field) you can change up the surrounding arena, the goal design, and the grass etchings with some kind of in game currency.

What just bugs me about Daisy is that she’s been a main stay for all the multiplayer Mario games.

Suddenly being out is just a strange decision that I’m cynical that it’s to have 10 characters at launch and not odd number 11 lol. Tho 11 would fit the football team first. But Boom Boom is the 11th player I guess.

Just don’t think it should’ve come down to “Daisy or this character at launch”.

Fun fact: This is the first ever first party Mario sports game since Mario's Tennis on the Virtual Boy by R&D1 as Next Level Games is a first party studio as of January 2021.

The fact gear is supposed to be equipped in various limbs makes me think creatures like Boo and Shy Guy that lack hands/feet are not going to make it in.

Assuming DLC will double the roster, I'm predicting:

• Daisy
  • Birdo
  • Pauline
  • Diddy Kong
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Hammer Bro.
  • Monty Mole
  • Pom-Pom
  • Toadette

With the possibility of a curveball enemy like Spike and Chargin' Chuck, in the case NLG attempts something new or surprising.

I have compiled a list of everyone at Next Level Games who has worked on Super Mario Strikers and/or Mario Strikers Charged and also worked on Luigi's Mansion 3 to see who worked on the original Strikers games may be returning for Battle League.

unknown.png

Not sure if this was posted yet but Nintendo's Japanese instagram account has the full intro cinematic to the game.

Someone on the other site found something that confirms Cup Battles are back. Nintendo didn't talk about this in the trailer for some reason.

Gotta wonder why there isnt a english trailer yet?

There's usually a gap of a handful of days between the Japanese original overview trailer and a localized English one. We'll certainly see one this week, I would say.

The fact gear is supposed to be equipped in various limbs makes me think creatures like Boo and Shy Guy that lack hands/feet are not going to make it in.

Assuming DLC will double the roster, I'm predicting:

• Daisy
  • Birdo
  • Pauline
  • Diddy Kong
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Hammer Bro.
  • Monty Mole
  • Pom-Pom
  • Toadette

With the possibility of a curveball enemy like Spike and Chargin' Chuck, in the case NLG attempts something new or surprising.
Petey Piranha probably should be top priority to return as well, as he was playable in Charged;

I wonder how salty one can get using the team tackle. Can I launch my teammates into the electric barrier? That'd be pretty gross

Petey Piranha probably should be top priority to return as well, as he was playable in Charged;
Petey Piranha was very omnipresent in Mario spinoffs during the 00's. Not so much anymore (he's not in Super Rush, for example), so his return isn't guaranteed.

Plus, gear might be troublesome to implement on him, since Petey lacks feet and has leaves instead of arms.

Someone on the other site found something that confirms Cup Battles are back. Nintendo didn't talk about this in the trailer for some reason.
Nice, I bet that mode will have unlockable characters tied to it.

metal Mario and pink gold peach

or maybe gear like Mario kart does with the gold set.

Petey Piranha was very omnipresent in Mario spinoffs during the 00's. Not so much anymore (he's not in Super Rush, for example), so his return isn't guaranteed.

Plus, gear might be troublesome to implement on him, since Petey lacks feet and has leaves instead of arms.
The gear customization is actually a good point, and I didn't think about it.. (though, characters comes in all shapes and forms here, so I guess they can work around... if something fits for both Peach and Donkey Kong, it should work for Petey...);

But it wasn't that long ago he was playable in something either, as he was in Mario Tennis Aces as well;

I just don't want to lose the complete veteran roster in favor of new characters :\

I have no idea why an English trailer hasn’t come out yet, I wonder what’s taking NoA so long to start marketing it

It's now 30 days away from release so I'm sure they'll mention it either tomorrow or early next week. With indies today I wouldn't expect it, though maybe they announce the next N64 game tonight.

I'm starting to worry about the marketing of this game from Nintendo part, it's releasing in less than a month and the push seems to be minimal :(, I know it's usually one month before release they go all-in but still they seem to be too quiet about it

I'm starting to worry about the marketing of this game from Nintendo part, it's releasing in less than a month and the push seems to be minimal :(, I know it's usually one month before release they go all-in but still they seem to be too quiet about it
I'm sure it'll ramp up after the English overview trailer drops.

im not sure if donkey kong has actual fur or is it just a really neat texture? If he does congrats to NLG, since dk only had actual fur in tropical freeze, if not then congrats to NLG it looks really fucking good.

im not sure if donkey kong has actual fur or is it just a really neat texture? If he does congrats to NLG, since dk only had actual fur in tropical freeze, if not then congrats to NLG it looks really fucking good.

seems texture to me
but a really good-looking one

on the contrary, I miss the "flakes-like" effect on Bowser skin

So you can only hyper strike after getting that drop? That seems like a huge change to me, I'm surprised no one else is mentioning it. Or was this in Wii? I've never played Charged so maybe this has already been in the franchise for a decade+ lol

So you can only hyper strike after getting that drop? That seems like a huge change to me, I'm surprised no one else is mentioning it. Or was this in Wii? I've never played Charged so maybe this has already been in the franchise for a decade+ lol
Its a new change but we've known about this since February and was probably discussed back then.

The one feature I'm not feeling too hot on is that only the club owner can customize the team uniforms and stadiums. Feels like in that case everyone will want to be club owner, so I hope they either let you join more than 1 club or at least let you use the customization options for solo online play.

I feel it's a good trailer to kinda explain the basic of how the game works but it it's not a good trailer to get people to buy the game there is no really exciting/hype segments in the trailer, I guess the announcement trailer already did that function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom