• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion New Mario Strikers Battle League Japanese overview trailer (UPDATE: English trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gameplay of an entire match with a French narrator

There are still keeper interactions with hyperstrikes! Nice, that's really fun. Also, while they may not be as edgy, the goal animations are still full of personality and pleasant to look at

Marios_Hyper_Strike_-_Fire_Cyclone_-_Mario_Strikers_Battle_League.gif

With the release of this game drawing closer, I know I won't be able to resist getting this, but for now it is a "wait for sale" kind of game for me. It's mainly due to the roster size, which is a bit on the lower end of the spectrum for my liking. Releasing new characters later down the line is a trend I don't really enjoy, but I guess I will have to wait and see how things pan out.

Also, I wish the kits were ever so slightly more customizable than a measly 5 base patterns with 12 fixed colour variations, from what we've seen in the overview trailer. Even though you likely won't be able to see much of them underneath all the gear.

On the other hand, I am absolutely in love with the animation work they are doing for this game.

We're still missing a couple of details on this game, like how the single player content works. I see coin values on gear unlocks, so I'm guessing there's gonna be some way to earn those coins and buy the gear, but it feels they have focused more on the gameplay mechanics and online rather than other details.

Though they had me at Rosalina in battle armor, anyway.

Game looks fantastic. Love that there's promotion and relegation. Can't wait to create my team and get stuck in.

With the release of this game drawing closer, I know I won't be able to resist getting this, but for now it is a "wait for sale" kind of game for me. It's mainly due to the roster size, which is a bit on the lower end of the spectrum for my liking. Releasing new characters later down the line is a trend I don't really enjoy, but I guess I will have to wait and see how things pan out.
I am in the same boat. The drip-feed approach doesn't work for me. I think I would be able to postpone my purchase if I had something else to play in June, but right now I feel I am going to be tempted into buying it Day One out of sheer lack of options.

Damn Nintendo and the control they have over my brain. :p

Does it really work on anyone ? The game will come out and mostly get 6 or 7 because of a lack of content like every single Nintendo sport release.
Mario Tennis is now the best selling Mario Sports title (3.66m dec 2020, right now is probably already 4m or close) and Mario Golf has almost doubled (and it will end up doing by the end of it's life) the sales of the prior best selling Mario Golf entry. So it has worked sales wise due to giving them great legs so people buy the games during a longer period of time, and don't sell it because they are waiting for DLCs to release.

pd: I'm talking about sales because in the end that's the reason why Nintendo does it.

Does it really work on anyone ? The game will come out and mostly get 6 or 7 because of a lack of content like every single Nintendo sport release.
The thing is, post-release support in terms of additional content, be it free or paid, is actually great for this type of game. Case in point, SSBU.

The issue is that it only works if the game you get on release does not feel lacking in terms of content. If the game only feels complete after post-release support, it sits wrong with me.

I am not sure. But I assume that for some people it may work in the sense that once it is made available new content brings them back to the game.

Personally, I am the kind of player who, once I feel I am done with a game, it is unlikely I will return to it. So the drip-feed approach does not work for me because by the time new characters, modes, or whatever comes out, I will probably not explore them because I will have moved on by then. That was the case with Super Rush, for example: I spent a lot of hours with it, but I barely touched the free DLC courses. If they had been in the game from the start, I would have played them to death and they would have extended my gameplay time.

Mario Tennis is now the best selling Mario Sports title (3.66m dec 2020, right now is probably already 4m or close) and Mario Golf has almost doubled (and it will end up doing by the end of it's life) the sales of the prior best selling Mario Golf entry. So it has worked sales wise due to giving them great legs so people buy the games during a longer period of time, and don't sell it because they are waiting for DLCs to release.

pd: I'm talking about sales because in the end that's the reason why Nintendo does it.
I understand that logic, but given the Switch boosts the sales of pretty much every franchise, I think it is a classic case of correlation does not mean causation. They don't sell more because of the drip-feed content; they sell more because the Switch is a monster. I obviously don't have the data to back that statement up, but it's my feeling. I am not sure how Nintendo looks at it, but considering they seem to love delivering content little by little, I guess they probably think the drip-feed approach helps sales. Heck, maybe they have the data to back that up, but I somehow doubt it.

PS: Sorry for slightly derailing the thread!

Same here with German commentator Frank Buschmann

Yo, gimme that commentator DLC, please (included at no extra charge in the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack)!

It's astounding the difference between this and everytime people try to talk over some live demonstration of the newest upcoming esports sensation during a presentation or conference. Professionals know what they're doing. Although I wouldn't be saying the same had Nintendo hired Béla Réthy. They got the right Buschmann for the job.

Buschmann is great, "live" commentary greatly enhances the experience for sports games, and it's a shame they only did this for promotional purposes.

Buschmann is great, "live" commentary greatly enhances the experience for sports games, and it's a shame they only did this for promotional purposes.

In-game commentary pieced together out of individual pre-recorded phrases wouldn't be as great as this tailored commentary of an entire game but still ... if I could hear about Bowser getting "grilled" everytime I check him into the wall, that'd go a long way to compensate for the lack of crotch chopping, sizzling hot finger-burning asses and general 'tude.

In-game commentary pieced together out of individual pre-recorded phrases wouldn't be as great as this tailored commentary of an entire game but still ... if I could hear about Bowser getting "grilled" everytime I check him into the wall, that'd go a long way to compensate for the lack of crotch chopping, sizzling hot finger-burning asses and general 'tude.
Yeah, it is never the same, but it adds some nice flavour. And if you ever get sick of it, which you inevitably will with only so many variations, you can just disable the commentary, so everybody wins.

I like the style the game has, but content wise this looks really barebones to me, especially for a full price game. I’m still hoping that they didn‘t show all the content, otherwise I think I‘ll skip it.

For a company with a global fanbase, is this the first time Nintendo has released multiple trailers in multiple languages (beyond Japanese and English)? It seems like this game is getting a significant marketing push that blows the other sports titles out of the water.

Yh this game probs will have free post launch support now that marketing is ramping up to release. The other mario sports titles got them so this one aswell is a safe bet. So don't worry daisy fans she is probs the first added character.

And the Spain one, for completionism's sake:

...which seems to be a different one and only 30 seconds long. Huh.

Starting to get concerned about the lack of promotion for Strikers - wonder if this indicates lower expectations from Nintendo. We are 20 days away from the release and we only got an overview trailer, with Twitter and commercials being almost non-existant.

That's true. I even thought that a dedicated presentation might have been a possibility, because I assume the June Direct will be after the 10th.

But who knows, that may still happen.

Starting to get concerned about the lack of promotion for Strikers - wonder if this indicates lower expectations from Nintendo. We are 20 days away from the release and we only got an overview trailer, with Twitter and commercials being almost non-existant.
Well their promotion for this game has involved localising the overview trailer into several languages which is unusual for Nintendo.

Here in Spain we have got promo of the game with ads on social media and retailers promo for 2 weeks ish .
It seems they are focusing hard on the European (especially South) market

I noticed this too. There's nothing, while FE3H, live-a-live and Splatoon 3 are all being promoted quite a bit. At least something small like character goal animations or a preview of the main theme would be nice to get.

Ya'll trippin'. They released an extensive overview trailer in Japanese, English, French, and Portuguese and then got famous announcers in Italian, French, and German to commentate for an entire match. The promotion for Strikers is more than Aces/Golf combined and the broader localization probably exceeds every Nintendo game.

They could do more, but by Nintendo standards Strikers has had a strong push.

Ya'll trippin'. They released an extensive overview trailer in Japanese, English, French, and Portuguese and then got famous announcers in Italian, French, and German to commentate for an entire match. The promotion for Strikers is more than Aces/Golf combined and the broader localization probably exceeds every Nintendo game.

They could do more, but by Nintendo standards Strikers has had a strong push.

I think in terms of post launch content. So far every sports game has had it and they hint at it.

I disagree a bit, one single match commented in small random channels is a lot less than a commercial with one of the biggest tennis stars, despite the number of views for each:

I disagree a bit, one single match commented in small random channels is a lot less than a commercial with one of the biggest tennis stars, despite the number of views for each:

The official Nintendo Spain, Italy, and Germany YouTube channels aren't small random channels though. Plus, you're forgetting that they did 6 min gameplay overview trailers in multiple languages.

The ad with Nadal (I thought there was one with Serena Williams too?) is really cool, but I don't think that adds up to the Strikers content.

Waluigi's facial expression here on top of the other beautifully animated characters just goes to show how NLG is goated, can't wait for this game and for what's next with NLG.
unknown.png

Gotta say... being one of the very few people on the planet (apparently) that completely despised the tone and themes of previous Strikers games, and wishing for them being tuned back.. at least a little bit, from 'standard Mario flair', I think Battle League is being more in lines of what I can tolerate.

Still miles more intense than any other Mario spinoff, but not completely off the rails as Charged, which is fine by me.

Never had any issues with the gameplay or mechanics, I just didn't like the heavy metal influence on my funny yahoo man game.

Also, someone at Nintendo is making sure NLG doesn't do anything too out of character for the cast, while they can still animate as beautifuly as they always been; No more creepy animated Shy Guy mask, thankfuly!

BgyLKN.gif

It's really a miracle a new Strikers game even is a thing these days, to be frank. If rumors of Charged being THE game that made Nintendo change their policies with brand control; I guess NLG being an internal studio now helps.

It's really a miracle a new Strikers game even is a thing these days, to be frank. If rumors of Charged being THE game that made Nintendo change their policies with brand control; I guess NLG being an internal studio now helps.
A new Strikers was going to happen at one point even if toned down a lot , it was before the Switch the best selling Mario Sports spin-off and football is the most popular sport in the world. What’s a miracle is the ‘freedom’ it seems NLG has had compared to other Mario Sports titles ( it could just be that Camelot prefers a more basic though)

A new Strikers was going to happen at one point even if toned down a lot , it was before the Switch the best selling Mario Sports spin-off and football is the most popular sport in the world. What’s a miracle is the ‘freedom’ it seems NLG has had compared to other Mario Sports titles ( it could just be that Camelot prefers a more basic though)
Dunno if it was a sure thing... They'd probably return to soccer/football eventually, but didn't need to be necessarily through the Strikers branding and themes. In fact, since then Mario and friends already played the sport in other games (M&S and Mario Sports Superstars); I guess it was much more on some higher-ups being convinced to give the series another shot.

I think people now think the culprit was Super Paper Mario.
Super Paper Mario sure had some weird stuff going on too, but you'd think IntSys would be much closer to Nintendo when working on the Mario IP... but I guess Paper Mario was the one that suffered the most when they tighten their grip on brand control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom