• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Mortal Kombat 1 || September 19th, Series/PS5/Switch/PC

Haha, take that, doubters!!

And by that, I mean me. I doubted. I doubted super hard. Sorry, NetherRealm, I was a fool.
reputable leaks said as much, unless you were dodging them

MK11 Switch sales must have impressive for WB executives to greenlight a Switch version of next title.
the game charts on the eshop every time it's on sale. and it's on sale a lot.

Getting this on Switch. And it's only 4 months away, goody! Spent 180 hours on MK11 on Switch, I'm ready to waste another 180 on the ten times prequel.

Kinda confused as to why it's not on PS4/XB1 if they're doing a Switch version, unless the active audience has already mostly fully transferred over by now

reputable leaks said as much, unless you were dodging them
I was aware of the leaks, but a multiplatform AAA game coming to Switch but skipping PS4 and Xbox One seemed so weird that I assumed something was wrong there. Very happy to be proven wrong, though!

I cannot do such hyperrealistic over the top gore like that anymore.

Over the top gore needs to be obviously fake, like in Evil Dead movies.
In the same boat. I can play the original MK trilogy on arcade cabinets or Sega Genesis, and the first half of the trailer had me intrigued but...ahh, yeah, that's right why I can't do it no more 😅

Hope everyone else has fun with it, though

I will be there Day 1 unless the gore turns me off too much.

And even so, I will simply skip cutscenes and disable fatalities.

Well, in a nutshell: Day 1 baby.

Day one. Grew up playing MK and then got back into the series in a big way with MK9. The story of MK11 and Aftermath has me hooked and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

I was aware of the leaks, but a multiplatform AAA game coming to Switch but skipping PS4 and Xbox One seemed so weird that I assumed something was wrong there. Very happy to be proven wrong, though!
It should be the standard at this point. The fact Switch is constantly skipped is just companies literally throwing money away.

I love that it's not on PS4 and Xbox One but still hitting Switch

I’m thinking that WB didn’t want to spend too much resources on so many platforms. It’s most economical to just cut out PS4/XBONE version and focus on two versions

High end version and low end version. Hopefully Switch version looks better than MK11 which is still a really good looking game

I KNEW IT
I FUCKING KNEW IT WOULD COME TO SWITCH LMAO!!
Also, fire god Liu Kang rebuilding everything.
LIU KANG AS THE MAIN MK CHARACTER AND FOCUS OF THE TRAILER AGAIN!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!
Ed Boon, you delivered once again.

Let's see how the ultimate impossible port turns out.

Amazing that they're naming it Mortal Kombat 1. Will probably get this on the Xbox if the nostalgia hits strongly enough. Love that Liu Kang is apparently the main character again.

Amazing that they're naming it Mortal Kombat 1. Will probably get this on the Xbox if the nostalgia hits strongly enough. Love that Liu Kang is apparently the main character again.
Yeah, that alone more or less guarantees that I'll be back in for the story mode

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of Mortal Kombat but it shows there’s an audience for fighting games and gory games on Switch. cough Tekken cough
WB, Crytek, iDTech, CDProjekt: I will port my AAA very demanding games to Switch, whatever it takes
Atlus, SQEnix, Bamco, Capcom: I can't port any of my AA games because your machine is too weak. Give me Drake Nintendo sniff

Literally exposing every one of the Japanese fighting game developers with this announcement.

The sad part is they're all using UE4, an engine that was built with the Switch/Tegra hardware in mind.

Already been said, but the platform choice is interesting. Is this the first notable PS5/Series/Switch/no PS4/XB1 game? Bodes well for continued support on Redacted as well I guess

Already been said, but the platform choice is interesting. Is this the first notable PS5/Series/Switch/no PS4/XB1 game? Bodes well for continued support on Redacted as well I guess
Not really since we had Just Dance 2023 being PS5/Series/Switch already. We can stretch a little and add Bright Memory Infinity to the list.

That makes me hopeful we'll see Dragon Quest XII on Switch 1 and 2.

On a side note, I even dreamed about this game lol. I dreamed I entered Twitter and a clickbaity site reported it wouldn't come to Switch despite rumors, but entered the site and it was just Boon saying it wouldn't come to PS4 and Xbox One. So I got hopeful it would come to PS5/Series this holiday and Switch in 2024. But Switch day and date AGAIN is wild!!!

We came from no Mortal Kombat game on Wii U, Ed Boon disconfirming any possibility of Virtual Console to... 2 current gen MK games on Switch day and date!!

I'm wondering how they'll even do that. More simplified geometry in less perceptible areas, maybe pre-rendered far backgrounds, MK11 assets but with better textures, and TAAU to reconstruct 540p to 720 or 1080.

If anything, Crisis Core can give an idea of the approach(high end graphics, high poly characters and high rez textures, reconstructed 720p with good AA.

The porting studio already having experience with the Switch might help too. During the pre-fight scenes, MK11 looked really, noisy, low Rez and ugly. But then gameplay was totally fine. I think replacing that and the fatalities for pre-rendered videos would do the trick.

The newest Monkey Island skipped last gen

Yeah. Too much of that was hyper realistic mutilation essentially. Not a fan. Though these were never games I was interested in op much since the arcade anyway.

Has there been confirmation that this will not be a cloud version? $70 for cloud would be crazy.
The official website has an FAQ section in which they mention a physical Switch version. While technically it could happen, a cloud Switch game sold physically would be a first, I think.

(apropos of nothing, the same FAQ also mentions a Jean-Claude Van Damme skin for Johnny Cage, which is quite neat)

It's kinda funny this is coming on Switch and yet the Yakuza guy said the reason that series isn't on Switch is because it's a family-oriented console and kids play it lol

Was very disappointed in MK11 on Switch so Shiver gives me pause. Don’t remember if Saber Interactive had anything to do with 11 but it does help that they’re on it.

Was very disappointed in MK11 on Switch so Shiver gives me pause. Don’t remember if Saber Interactive had anything to do with 11 but it does help that they’re on it.
MK11 was their first AAA work with Switch and they also had to deal with MK highly custom legacy engine(UE3 based). Assuming MK I uses a modern engine(UE4+) and considering this will be their second work + Saber (Witcher 3, Crisis Trilogy)helping, I expect a much better and polished work. But it needs to be reminded that it's a PS5/XS game. The baseline is way higher. The news it has rollback crossplay makes me very optimistic for the quality though.

idk people in mortal kombat are made of silly putty or something given how they explode on contact. like one stomp or throwing them a bit doesnt result in a person getting turned into chunky marinara. its a bit goofy.

Mortal Kombat physics are so wonky that I can’t view the gore as anything but obviously fake.

My issue is fatalities are too long now. Once I see them a few times, I just want the match to end. I kind of miss the old fatalities that were three seconds long and 13 femurs burst out of a person.

I’m whelmed.

But it’s MK, I have too much nostalgia to at least not give a try.

idk people in mortal kombat are made of silly putty or something given how they explode on contact. like one stomp or throwing them a bit doesnt result in a person getting turned into chunky marinara. its a bit goofy.
But they’re so thoroughly well tenderized first, far beyond what would result in a still-alive person, so you’ve almost suspended disbelief by that point anyways.
You kinda have to look at MK characters as glass cannons to some degree: more strength than actual durability.

Last edited:
Very interesting that there is a Switch version, but no PS4/Xbone version. At this point I guess the sales on last gen must have died down to a point where it's not worth the investment.

I'm fascinated to see how it turns out on Switch. MK11 was a strong port, but as a PS5/XS game this should represent a much higher technical standard.
That said, Saber are among the best in the business at pushing the Switch to the limit, so with them on board I'm optimistic.

It's not my cup of tea, but it's still nice to see a major third party game hitting the Switch in 2023.

Oh, those character models are so nice I almost sent the trailer to my partner just to see

Then the fatality segment started and, haha, hoo boy, these are a lot

The mk11 port was really good for what it was. Same day as other systems and content complete. The fps was junky in the krypton, but the thing that matters (the fights) ran well. Look forward to seeing how the Switch version shakes out.

Kombat Pack 1, which includes: 6 playable characters (Quan Chi, Omni Man, Ermac, Peacemaker, Takeda, Homelander), 5 kameo characters (Tremor, Johnny Cage , Khameleon, Mavado, Ferra) and Skin of Jean Claude Van Damme

Source amazon

Kombat Pack 1, which includes: 6 playable characters (Quan Chi, Omni Man, Ermac, Peacemaker, Takeda, Homelander), 5 kameo characters (Tremor, Johnny Cage , Khameleon, Mavado, Ferra) and Skin of Jean Claude Van Damme

Source amazon
God I hope Omni-Man/Homelander intros have a reference to the Death Battle episode of them

Source amazon
Thos sounds good to me, a nice assortment of characters. Please though have Ash Williams I'm the next season pass though, I'm still sad about him being cut from the last one.

Come on WB, your distributing these movies now.

Source amazon
I'm inside a hospital taking a coffee while taking a break from class, and I saw this rumor. I'm gonna be honest I don't care about any of the characters but KHAMELEON FINALLY KOMING BACK AND ON A NINTENDO PLATFORM AGAIN IS A DREAM COMING TRUE FOR ME!!!!

I know she only appeared on N64 Trilogy, Wii Armageddon and kameo in 9, but I love her, her story and the potential to maybe hopefully have her back is very good news to me.

Imagine if they make her Switch exclusive. I'd be in for that.

Back
Top Bottom