• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by @curl-6 's goty nom for Rise, where do y'all reccomend a series newbie jumps in? Rise or World?

I haven't played since Tri, aside from dipping into demos, but Pokemon Legends has me thinking...
At the moment, definitely Rise, as if you start playing soon, you’ll be ready for Sunbreak at the same time as the rest of the community.

Otherwise, as others have said, World is better if you want to take your time and treat it as an immersive sim, enjoying exploring the world and the minutiae of hunting monsters. Rise is better if you want the arcadey, portable side of the series, jumping in, forming a party in seconds, chasing down and fighting a monster, then moving on. It’s gameplay loop is around 15 minutes rather than an hour.

Inspired by @curl-6 's goty nom for Rise, where do y'all reccomend a series newbie jumps in? Rise or World?

I haven't played since Tri, aside from dipping into demos, but Pokemon Legends has me thinking...

Both are great steps. I think both also will give you a great feeling of epicness while playing it.

It does depend what you are looking for. If you have limited time I recommend Rise. And World if you want more immersion and a game that slowly build you up to a certain point. World is really about slowly finding your monster to hunt. With Rise you find it pretty much right away after you explored the whole region.

If you care about diversity then Rise is better. It has different monsters in the game whereas World has mainly wyverns and dragon-like monsters to hunt.

Ah yes, the old "tease a boat by showing off new options" gambit

The options are nice and great to have though! I don't recall having too much trouble with any of the controls in Rise but options are always good of course

I’m going to go with Rise, since it has a nice tutorial and a ton of QoL changes since Tri. World isn’t bad by any means and some fun monsters to tackle, but I would argue that playing the latest game would be the best call since Rise has a tad more QoL changes, Palamutes, and would have you ready for the up coming Sunbreak.

Looks like Sunbreak will have a Bishaten subspecies

That looks more like a Tengu? Perhaps a Goss Harag subspecies?

Edit: Bishaten is based on a Tengu, not Goss Harag. My bad!

The brown thing on that image is probably supposed to be an uchiwa fan, which some Tengu have. Perhaps the tail will be shaped like one.

Last edited:
I’m going to go with Rise, since it has a nice tutorial and a ton of QoL changes since Tri. World isn’t bad by any means and some fun monsters to tackle, but I would argue that playing the latest game would be the best call since Rise has a tad more QoL changes, Palamutes, and would have you ready for the up coming Sunbreak.
World has way easier monsters though.

It’s the right thing to do
😉

Still waiting for news. Do you guys think Jhen mohran could be back? With the royal theme of sunbreak I could see lao shan coming back.

Still waiting for news. Do you guys think Jhen mohran could be back? With the royal theme of sunbreak I could see lao shan coming back.
I seriously miss Lao Shan. I think he was in GU (?), but even if, I never made it to the point where I'd gotten the chance to fight him.
Still remember how fun the quest used to be in MHFU, playing with my siblings and fighting off that giant lizard, haha. Would love to experience that again. Same, but to a somewhat lesser degree, with Jhen Mohran or even Shen Gaoren (if that's how you spell the name, lol).

I seriously miss Lao Shan. I think he was in GU (?), but even if, I never made it to the point where I'd gotten the chance to fight him.
Still remember how fun the quest used to be in MHFU, playing with my siblings and fighting off that giant lizard, haha. Would love to experience that again. Same, but to a somewhat lesser degree, with Jhen Mohran or even Shen Gaoren (if that's how you spell the name, lol).
Yes, You fight it in GU. Fun fight tbh. The FU figth was awesome at first, but I remember farming that damn lizard was a pain in the ***.

Having that said, yeap bring it back!

You're the first person I hear say that tbh
The first few monsters in World are beyond a joke. Great Jagras doesn't even fight back, it just sits there and takes it. Fight a low rank Barroth in World and Rise to really see how nerfed it was back then. Pukei Pukei and Kula Yat Ku as well.

The first few monsters in World are beyond a joke. Great Jagras doesn't even fight back, it just sits there and takes it. Fight a low rank Barroth in World and Rise to really see how nerfed it was back then. Pukei Pukei and Kula Yat Ku as well.
I guess? No one's really talking about the early game monsters when they compare difficulty between the two though

I guess? No one's really talking about the early game monsters when they compare difficulty between the two though
The original post was about which one to start with. World and Rise are mechanically similar but world has easier monsters and the hand holding bugs, so I find it an easier recommendation for beginners.

The original post was about which one to start with. World and Rise are mechanically similar but world has easier monsters and the hand holding bugs, so I find it an easier recommendation for beginners.
I can see where you’re coming from here. Though I think Rise might still be the better choice, considering there is more of a variety of the monster types and if someone was planning to move on to Sunbreak, this would be the better lead in and starting point of what they should expect, in terms of difficulty and gameplay. Plus Rise does have a pretty decent tutorial, for a MH game.

Though as a lead to the overall series, I can concede that World is a great starting point for beginners.

You're the first person I hear say that tbh

The monsters being easier in Rise than in World doesn't seem that controversial. I recall people's surprise when Tobi-Kadachi suddenly needed to be respected.

The rub is in the hunter's in Rise being more powerful, which tilts the balance again.

I want to ride into battle on a Tetsucabra, Mr. Suzuki, Sir. Thanks in advance.

The fact that they started up all these little teases again makes me think we can expect a trailer soon

The monsters being easier in Rise than in World doesn't seem that controversial. I recall people's surprise when Tobi-Kadachi suddenly needed to be respected.

The rub is in the hunter's in Rise being more powerful, which tilts the balance again.
Yeah I'd say the net difficulty ends up with Rise being easier since while the monsters are harder overall, the hunters' power level increase makes up the difference

What makes Rise so easy are the Wirebugs. The monsters appear to be more aggressive, but the wire fall stuff allows you to avoid getting punished. Getting a third Wirebug means you barely get punished for playing reckless.

You can artificially challenge yourself by choosing not to use wire fall, but that doesn't make sense.

Overall I still think base World is easier in general, at least it felt like it when I played World. Monsters went down very quick, I barely need to prepare for hunts. But that's probably because I played World after MH4U. I probably need to go back to it with Iceborne.

Having said that, I'd recommend starting with Rise because of the quality of life updates and the better than garbage tutorial it has. Movement in Rise is also the best the series ever had and that alone makes it worth playing over World.
My hopes for Sunbreak is for it to have post launch support that's on par with the 3DS games and nerf the wirebugs. Make them recharge slower when using wire fall, or use 2 bugs for wire fall.

The only real reason base World ended up being harder than base Rise is because of the post-launch additions like Lunastra and AT Nergigante, and even then it's arguable some of the Emergency Apex quests in Rise are kind of close. Besides that they're both easy base games, very little difference IMO.

Rather than outright nerf wirebugs I'd like to see monsters have more moves that catch spamming wakeup wirefall, this already exists in the game but more variations of that would be cool.

Rather than outright nerf wirebugs I'd like to see monsters have more moves that catch spamming wakeup wirefall, this already exists in the game but more variations of that would be cool.
This. Punishing wirefall spam is a smarter move than nerfing it on the whole, shifting the baseline balance throughout the entire game, potentially negatively affecting other fights. Valstrax for instance already punished using the wirebug too liberally, and I'd say that's definitely the right direction to go into.

monster-hunter-monster-hunter-rise.gif

GIMMMEEEE

Bring it on !
We should see the new village, at least one New monster, maybe some returning ones (tetsu !), and gameplay news (New mechanic ?)
I hope it will release early summer cause between live a live in july and Xenoblade in september my gaming time will be limited !

"New info" better mean "release date". I've got a May/June empty spot till FEW Three Hopes, so around then would be grand - but May especially is probably too early for the 'summer' release window.

I swear to God this better not release in June since I'm getting Three Hopes and AI Nirvana on the same day lol.

Regardless, I'm so excited to see all the new and returning monsters and bonkers abilities they're going to introduce.

I swear to God this better not release in June since I'm getting Three Hopes and AI Nirvana on the same day lol.

Regardless, I'm so excited to see all the new and returning monsters and bonkers abilities they're going to introduce.

Dammit I forgot about ai nirvana...
Well, it will be difficult to find time to play these games indeed.

More Sunbreak info, and Stranger of Paradise (digital) unlocks early.

3/15 looking to be a good day!

After Kirby and Advance Wars I have no games that I am planning to buy till the moment Strikers, Live a Live and Three Hopes. So I Sunbreak drops on a good moment.

Second half is way too packed, how am I gonna play all these games
Sunbreak takes priority of course, just hope I can finish it before the next 100 hour game drops though lol

Still haven't fought Valstrax in the base game but might wait until closer to Sunbreak to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom