• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato

Totes yeet, very pog
Pronouns
he/him

Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Platforms: Switch, Steam
Release: June 30, 2022
Price: $39.99 Standard, $49.99 Deluxe, $69.99 Rise + Sunbreak Dual Pack (Physical), $99.99 Collectors Edition
Demo Available 6/14

Official Site

Major Features:
-Will release for both Switch and Steam simultaneously
-A "massive expansion" to MHRise, similar to MHWorld: Iceborne
-Marketing touts new story, new areas (plural), new monsters, new hunter actions, and Master rank
-No cross-play or cross-save announced so far, but Capcom has released a survey asking for what players would like to see with cross-play/cross-save as options (Update: No Cross-Play or Cross-Save)

Monsters revealed so far:
monster01.png

monster-full-01.png

Malzeno (new Elder Dragon, flagship for Sunbreak)
monster-full-02.png

Lunagaron (new Fanged Wyvern)
monster02.png

Garangolm (new Fanged Beast)

monster-full-03.png

Shogun Ceanataur (returning Carapaceon, last appeared in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)
monster04.png

Astalos (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)
monster07.png

Steve Seregios (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)
monster11.png

Gore Magala (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster10.png
Espinas (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter Frontier)
monster12.png

Daimyo Hermitaur (Carapaceon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster14.png

Shagaru Magala (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster16.png

Furious Rajang (Fanged Beast, last appeared in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne)
monster05.png

Blood Orange Bishaten
monster08.png

Aurora Somnacanth
monster09.png

Magma Almudron
monster13.png

Pyre Rakna-Kadaki
monster15.png

Scorned Magnamalo

elgado-ss-03.jpg

Elgado (new hub)

The Citadel (new hunting area)

field_bg_08.png

The Jungle (returning area)

-New Silkbind moves for all 14 weapon types
-Easier wall running, no longer need to wiredash into a wall to initiate
-New endemic life including Ruby and Gold Wirebugs and Marionette Spiders
-Follower quests, certain single player quests where story NPCs fights along with you
-Switch Skill Swap, which lets you swap between 2 sets of switch skill on the fly
-Other QoL tweaks, such as turning off the function to initiate wyvern riding by attacking the monster

roadmap-en-us-0628.jpg

August: Lucent Nargacuga + Seething Bazelguese and other rare and special monsters, Forlorn Arena
Fall 2022: More rare monsters + subspecies, powered-up monsters (Tempered monsters?)
Winter 2022: Even MORE special and powered-up monsters
2023: ???
main.png

Lucent Nargacuga (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in MH3U)
main-2.png

Seething Bazelgeuse (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in MHW:I)

TGA 2021 Trailer

Sunbreak Digital Event from March 15th

Digital Event from May 10th

Capcom Showcase from June 13th

Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase from June 28th
amiibo-img-pc-en-us.png

FN5YCiIVsAAuu05.jpg

New amiibo, featuring Malzeno and Palico/Palamute Malzeno armor, and the layered armor the amiibo unlock
privilege_ic.png

Pre order layered armor sets
product_img09.png

Physical Collectors Edition, price TBD

Last edited:
Forgive me, folks. If cross-save/cross-play gets confirmed, I'm probably never playing the Switch version ever again.

The new flagship monster and the red-ish sky motif are interesting
As of now I'm mostly curious about what they mean with "hunter actions" btw

So is this like a "Monster Hunter Rise G" or just an expansion to the original Rise and a "G" title will release later?

Considering Iceborne, proper "G rank" releases are now DLC expansions.

The new flagship monster and the red-ish sky motif are interesting
As of now I'm mostly curious about what they mean with "hunter actions" btw
Most likely new Silkbinds and other weapon moves. If I had to guess, at least one new silkbind per weapon that swaps out with the one that's currently unswappable

So is this like a "Monster Hunter Rise G" or just an expansion to the original Rise and a "G" title will release later?
They called it a "Massive Expansion" and it's coming at around the time G rank games usually would come, I think it's basically what G was, much like with Iceborne they just have changed to using subtitles now.

Forgive me, folks. If cross-save/cross-play gets confirmed, I'm probably never playing the Switch version ever again.
Fully agree. I loved Rise on the Switch, but playing it where it runs better and I don't have to start over?

This should finally get me back into Rise 😅, kinda dropped it midway of the online rank missions and haven't returned since. A new expansion should help with coming back, especially as the idea looks pretty interesting, and seems it will at least bring a cool medieval-y area. The flagship monster looks nice too, though the artwork kinda makes it look like a gritty version of Corrupted Cynder from The Legend of Spyro.

Beyond what others said, they confirmed that it's "Master Rank", the new name for G-rank as of Iceborne, in the TGS stream

If they really want to impress me, they'll bring back Prowlers. With both Cats and Dogs as playable options. Like I don't understand why they bothered to bring back Generations' way of customizing our feline (and, now, canine) friends' skills, if they didn't at all intend to make them playable at some point.

Also, while we're talking about the pets: they really gotta do something else to encourage variety of their use. Like all you really need is just two cats with Plunder-rangs, if you want to maximize the amount of materials you get from a hunt. To the point that the other types of cats, and dogs as a whole, aren't as useful in the long run.

I'm so hyped for this expansion, i can't wait for new areas and monsters to fight.
I hope we can get Glavenus, we already got Valstrax i just need both in this game.
Also, love the looks of my Hunter running with this skin almost the entire time.

73bef78ce559f38672deca22bb3b990b5795cf9f.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread!
Can't wait for Sunbreak, I'm much more interested in its theme than I've ever been with Iceborne (sorry, Iceborne! :( )

Super excited for this and yet another reason to be hyped for 2022.

I'd love to see Tetsucabra, Seltas/Seltas Queen, and Congalala return. I know Coral Palace was just the boss arena in Rise, but I really liked the look of it and would've liked a full map based on that design/theme. That being said, Creepy Castle Map is a really promising start for what Sunbreak will offer in terms of environments.

One thing I wanted from Rise which I doubt we'll ever get would be Zelda crossovers where they adapt Zelda bosses into large monsters - Gohma, Dodongo, Volvagia for example would be fairly easy to adapt the existing skeleton types. But I guess Capcom won't offer platform exclusive content based on what we've seen so far.

One thing I wanted from Rise which I doubt we'll ever get would be Zelda crossovers where they adapt Zelda bosses into large monsters - Gohma, Dodongo, Volvagia for example would be fairly easy to adapt the existing skeleton types.
An iteration of Beast Ganon would work with Magnamalo/Zinogre skeleton, I feel.

When was Iceborne announced, before or after the PC version of vanilla MHW came out?

Iirc, Iceborne was announced at the end of 2018, and .... i think ... the PC version of World came out in summer 2018.

So it was announced after that port.

I think between Iceborne announcement and release it was .... some 9 months. If Sunbreak releases September 2022, it basically would've been a year between. (And yes, September's still part of the summer ^^)

+1 on the Lagiacrus list.

Also, i want the dream-team of Jho and Peco back.

And Seltas / Seltas Queen.

Definitely hope the fated 4 but especially gammoth returns , feel she deserves a second chance in a game with more open spaces and where wirebug/better aerial options are a thing .

Very happy to see the Carapaceon type return, and will second the desire to see Lagiacrus, Tetsucabara, Seltas Queen and Gammoth return, all great fights and great designs. Would also like to add Qurupeco, Duramboros and Nibelsnarf to the list of hopeful returns. But the most important thing is the return of Gigginox, after being snuubbed for Khezu ( the far inferior monster ) in Rise. I will probably only watch one more trailer for Sunbreak whenever it comes, and go dark after that, so I can be surprised at the roster come playtime.

They probably can make it work but can't due to not getting permission because of budgeting or whatever who knows, if it was impossible because of technical reasons they would have known well before they launched that survey. I wouldn't be surprised if some community made way to port your save pops up within a week of the game launching on PC.

Hard to tell what's the issue here when Witcher 3, Hades, or DOS2 already did it.
Is there any JP game with cross-save support thus far, tho? Not counting stuff like DQ's password system.

Hard to tell what's the issue here when Witcher 3, Hades, or DOS2 already did it.
Is there any JP game with cross-save support thus far, tho? Not counting stuff like DQ's password system.
Daemon X Machina has cross-save I believe.

I was planning on buying the game again on PC when it releases (bought it on Switch with all the DLC) but this makes it really hard to do double dip, because I don’t have the time to grind the game again 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was planning on buying the game again on PC when it releases (bought it on Switch with all the DLC) but this makes it really hard to do double dip, because I don’t have the time to grind the game again 🤷🏻‍♂️
FWIW you could probably just use a trainer to get your character caught up if not just edited to be exactly like the one on Switch but I realize that's not quite the same as just having cross save.

is it maybe because of the DLC, and them not wanting to unlock DLC bought in one version in the other version?
Something like that makes a lot of sense to me. There's probably some policy like that blocking them from implenting cross save. Cross play I don't know.

Daemon X Machina has cross-save I believe.
Yup, it does indeed. Interesting.

Man, that news really sucks. I am very much doubting to double dip. At least for full price. So I guess I buy it when it is heavily in sale. And continue on the Switch. I have some hours on it anyway.

I totally can't wait for the expansion the castlevania vibes are off the charts with that dracula like dragon and the castle like map with that moon.

FWIW you could probably just use a trainer to get your character caught up if not just edited to be exactly like the one on Switch but I realize that's not quite the same as just having cross save.
I did this in World for PC, but it's a major pain because of copying over all of your decos (or in this case, charms, which is even worse).
is it maybe because of the DLC, and them not wanting to unlock DLC bought in one version in the other version?
AC Valhalla has this in its cross-saves, and the DLC items are just not there if you're in a version where you haven't bought it. The game has a record of what DLC you bought, it should be able to tell whether or not to "hide" the items.

I did this in World for PC, but it's a major pain because of copying over all of your decos (or in this case, charms, which is even worse).

AC Valhalla has this in its cross-saves, and the DLC items are just not there if you're in a version where you haven't bought it. The game has a record of what DLC you bought, it should be able to tell whether or not to "hide" the items.
Yeah it's not exactly the same and I get people just want to be able to play on both systems with the same character. I'll probably give myself the same charm I have on Switch (because there's a talisman generator already anyways) and regrind the other stuff myself, ultimately I don't care too much as long as I'm caught up before Sunbreak.

While I do find cross-saves missing to be a major mishap already, no cross-play is actually the worse of the two for me personally. I've been playing Rise with my brother occasionally, who only plays on Switch. If I want to continue hunting with him once Sunbreak hits, I'm now forced to stay on Switch for that anyways.
Not that I mind playing the game on there at all (handheld MH == best MH in my book), but would've loved to have the choice of playing on whichever platform I'd want to play on in any given moment, while still being able to co-op with my brother in those instances. Playing docked instead is a fine alternative in the end, but not the same as playing on PC either, obviously.

The whole situation is just ... sobering, whichever way you look at it.

Which monster would you like that isn't a shoe-in (like Deviljho, for example)

This is my MH3 nostalgia speaking, but I'd like Lagiacrus. They got the leviathan skeleton down already. I understand that Laggy lost a lot by the removal of underwater stuff, but I think Capcom could feasibly shake it up with the sea dragon.

Something like that makes a lot of sense to me. There's probably some policy like that blocking them from implenting cross save. Cross play I don't know.

While I do find cross-saves missing to be a major mishap already, no cross-play is actually the worse of the two for me personally. I've been playing Rise with my brother occasionally, who only plays on Switch. If I want to continue hunting with him once Sunbreak hits, I'm now forced to stay on Switch for that anyways.
Not that I mind playing the game on there at all (handheld MH == best MH in my book), but would've loved to have the choice of playing on whichever platform I'd want to play on in any given moment, while still being able to co-op with my brother in those instances. Playing docked instead is a fine alternative in the end, but not the same as playing on PC either, obviously.

The whole situation is just ... sobering, whichever way you look at it.

Yeah the worst part isn’t the lack of cross-saves per se but the lack of crossplay. Because I guess I could use a trainer to get the same stuff/gear/etc on PC but my friends play on Switch so I would be alone on PC.

I strongly believe it’s not a technical issue but an economical one that’s keeping them from implementing it, seeing that other Switch games offer the functionality

Which monster would you like that isn't a shoe-in (like Deviljho, for example)

This is my MH3 nostalgia speaking, but I'd like Lagiacrus. They got the leviathan skeleton down already. I understand that Laggy lost a lot by the removal of underwater stuff, but I think Capcom could feasibly shake it up with the sea dragon.
I really want to see Seltas Queen again.

Capcom: "do you want cross-play/save?"
Players: "Heck yes!"
Capcom: "sorry, we can't!"

This is how it all reads to me, why ask if you're not able to make it happen? Or was it a case of considering it for future entries? Either way, this convinces me to not double dip. And it really sucks that at least cross-play isn't being added.
That would make match-making far better for specific quests.

Capcom: "do you want cross-play/save?"
Players: "Heck yes!"
Capcom: "sorry, we can't!"

This is how it all reads to me, why ask if you're not able to make it happen? Or was it a case of considering it for future entries? Either way, this convinces me to not double dip. And it really sucks that at least cross-play isn't being added.
That would make match-making far better for specific quests.
I think maybe they have a deal with Nintendo, and they did the survey to try to prove them that support for crossplay/saves is something that the player base wants but it didn’t go as planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom