• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe they have a deal with Nintendo, and they did the survey to try to prove them that support for crossplay/saves is something that the player base wants but it didn’t go as planned
I don't think that's likely, since Nintendo is okay with having cross-saves/play with other games. Especially cross-play shouldn't be an issue, since there are so many games on Switch that support it.

Which monster would you like that isn't a shoe-in (like Deviljho, for example)

This is my MH3 nostalgia speaking, but I'd like Lagiacrus. They got the leviathan skeleton down already. I understand that Laggy lost a lot by the removal of underwater stuff, but I think Capcom could feasibly shake it up with the sea dragon.

4th gen is my fave gen, and it's reaaaaaaaaaaaallly hard to choose just one.

But since Seltas Queen has already been mentioned...gimme back Gore. Can't really take anything for granted, since it seems they're content to hold the Magalas back for the time being.

On a sillier note? I would like to see Great Maccao come back. He and G. Izuchi are, in my opinion, the only "early game raptors" that are actually pretty fun.

Welp, downloaded the PC demo for Rise, booted it up, did go through the setup, everything working fine. Once I entered the Izuchi quest, the controls started bugging out for my Switch Pro Controller, with inputs changing between the face buttons randomly, lmao. At first I could draw my LS on X, then suddenly on B?! of all things. xD
Really weird behaviour. Quit the demo, tried booting it up again after messing with the Steam Input settings for a bit -> crashes all the time now. Ooops. Either I broke something or the demo's a bit messy overall.

I tried my Switch Pro Controller wired and had zero problems. Game runs well on my potato PC in 1080p. Sad that there are no Switch controller icons... ;(

I tried my Switch Pro Controller wired and had zero problems. Game runs well on my potato PC in 1080p. Sad that there are no Switch controller icons... ;(
Yeah, I think I had messed something up on my end -- been toying around with the Pro Con inputs too much it seems, haha. Resetting and changing them to the Xbox layout functionality solved my issues.

I'm beyond hyped for this; Monster Hunter Rise is my GOTY and what little they've shown of Sunbreak looks awesome.
I really hope we see more of it at the VGAs, like how we got a Rise trailer there last year.

It still almost feels like a dream sometimes; that after years of "Monster Hunter Switch" being long rumored but never confirmed, it's here, it's amazing, and it's getting the same treatment as World got in terms of a huge expansion. Sometimes, dreams do come true.

Since we don't have an OT I'll jus throw it out here, if anybody wants to play some MonHun hmu. I'm mostly going to move to PC for both MHW/Rise next year, but it's not like the Switch builds vanish until Sunbreak.

On a side note the Sonic patch finally fixed Greatsword so thank whoever for that.

Wonder what they're referring to
The easiest things to guess are probably just "more" of what we already have: more Silkbind attacks, more Switch skills per weapon, and a few more options for the Wirebug in and out of combat. It's what they'll do beyond those is what I'm most interested in seeing.

At this point, my hopes are focused on (besides Prowlers) on the likes of giving the likes of Gunlance some much needed buffs, and that nothing like the Clutch Claw gets added!

I'm hoping they mildly nerf/sidegrade some of the silkbinds in this update and give a couple new options. Please no Claw or anything like that, the switch skill/silkbind system is more than enough to carry G rank without another thing tacked on top of it.

I really disliked the gem system in world, did they alter or revert it in rise? I skipped out on the base game in favor of waiting for G rank

I really disliked the gem system in world, did they alter or revert it in rise? I skipped out on the base game in favor of waiting for G rank
They reverted the gem system to the pre-World method. Gems are craftable, talismans are random rewards.

I hope they rebalance some of the silkbinds a bit too. I really dislike Rise's iteration of hammer compared to World/IB's for example and that's mostly because of how optimal play boils down to abusing the same silkbind constantly.

I really need to get back into Rise when I have the time for it. It clicked for me in a way that World (my first MH) didn't. And since I didn't play Iceborne, Sunbreak will be my first go at Master/G rank, which I'm definitely interested in!

I hope they rebalance some of the silkbinds a bit too. I really dislike Rise's iteration of hammer compared to World/IB's for example and that's mostly because of how optimal play boils down to abusing the same silkbind constantly.

Yeah, this is basically where I'm at. I did a lot of work on the GS meta and speed strats early on and I hit a point where ACS was so defining and Power Sheathe so good that if you ever manually sheathed the weapon it must've been very calculated circumstances. On more casual play it's far too easy to brain off and just ACS through most things, which does not feel very GS to me.

We got lucky and at least Rage Slash vs TCS meta is actually interesting (optimal RS use is actually pretty 5head sometimes), and properly positioning for cute TCS punishes is still very prominent so it's not all bad. Hell, GS got even more buffed by KO being super relevant these days. They did such an amazing job for this weapon, and at the end of the day 99% of players will just chimp out with ACS the moment they realize how broken it is.

At least I'm not playing Hammer, Lance, etc. where silkbinds are the end all of the weapon. I do play LS from time to time cause counters fun and immediately go do something else once I'm done with Helmbreaker loops tho. Please rebalance weapons off of silkbind being the hyper optimal damage and up time crutch. All this being said I do love the system and it just needs tuning. Nothing as bad as whatever the fuck clutch claw wanted to be.

Monster is called Lunagaron, here is the official render. He's a werewolf, most likely will have some transformation gimmick

Between the Elder Dragon from the reveal trailer being vampiric and now Lunagaron resembling a werewolf, it seems the rumours were true about the expansion being based on Western mythical creatures where the base game's beasts were based on Asian ones.

I really love both of the new additions so far; the Monster Hunter team continues to have some of the best creature design in the business, creating monsters that remain both biologically believable yet still interesting and cool.

In the trailer I thought Lunagoron was Hisuian Magnamalo,but yeah, in the better light of the render it's more of a Silver Zinogre.

Weapon balance is a funny thing in Monster Hunter. I can see an argument that having power distributed unequally, and with a significant gap between overpowered and underpowered, is in a way good for the game, actually. More personally I don't much care that Gunlance is bottom of the pole with well-known scaling issues, because its move set is fun and longer fights means I get to have fun for longer. I get annoyed that the promoted playstyle for the plain old Lance is anathema to the essence of the weapon, but since Lance is mainly a solo weapon anyway and I don't care much for chasing speed run records, I'm free to say "Fuck the meta" and still go wild building pokey elemental gear sets to my heart's content.

Even for multiplayer hunts, fights are often either so easy they go by fast no matter what weapon you yourself bring or they're on the tougher side and the survivability of some of the traditionally less heavy-hitting weapons becomes a relevant benefit. On that last point, I might be more peeved about the distribution of counters and guards than damage balance, come to think of it.

Huh, some sort of related species to Odagaron? Definitely look pretty similar. Wonder if they'll also make an appearance
It's in the same family tree "Garon"

Edit: I hope to see the return of collabs outside of Capcom franchises and more things like Sailor Moon again. Both World and Rise are disappointing in that regards to say the least.

Last edited:
In the trailer I thought Lunagoron was Hisuian Magnamalo,but yeah, in the better light of the render it's more of a Silver Zinogre.

Weapon balance is a funny thing in Monster Hunter. I can see an argument that having power distributed unequally, and with a significant gap between overpowered and underpowered, is in a way good for the game, actually. More personally I don't much care that Gunlance is bottom of the pole with well-known scaling issues, because its move set is fun and longer fights means I get to have fun for longer. I get annoyed that the promoted playstyle for the plain old Lance is anathema to the essence of the weapon, but since Lance is mainly a solo weapon anyway and I don't care much for chasing speed run records, I'm free to say "Fuck the meta" and still go wild building pokey elemental gear sets to my heart's content.

Even for multiplayer hunts, fights are often either so easy they go by fast no matter what weapon you yourself bring or they're on the tougher side and the survivability of some of the traditionally less heavy-hitting weapons becomes a relevant benefit. On that last point, I might be more peeved about the distribution of counters and guards than damage balance, come to think of it.
I mostly use a lance and have no idea what the meta build for it even is. I just use the wirebug setups and skills and weapons I think are cool.

I mostly use a lance and have no idea what the meta build for it even is. I just use the wirebug setups and skills and weapons I think are cool.

It's spamming the highest mobility, lowest precision attack available to you - Spiral Thrust.

Perfect for people whose fantasy of being a lance wielder consists of feeling like a jouster with no horse, and kinda lame for everyone who was attracted to the weapon because of its deliberate and methodical style. That stuff and quirks like how Anchor Rage negatively synergizes with Guard skills is what I'm looking for Sunrise to adress first and foremost on the balance front, although I'm fine with a broken mess as long as I can still play the way I enjoy even if it's well below optimal.

Charged Wide Sweep possibly replacing triple poke was a cause for concern early on in Rise pre-coverage. But Charged Wide Sweep being an alternative (and better) combo piece in the traditional triple poke? Sure, whatever.

Last edited:
I hope some of the power of silkbinds shifts to regular movesets instead in Sunbreak. Lance is one example but there's others like hammer for me too. Probably somewhat of an unpopular opinion but while Rise was more exciting to play at first I actually think I vibed with the base movesets of World/IB (so minus CC, I could write a whole book on why I hate that mechanic) more after a while, the sort of "cooldown" base gameplay of some weapons just felt a bit repetitive and boring. Not the case for every weapon but coincidentally some of the more broken/powerful weapons like bow don't have this issue.

I know this won't happen with Sunbreak and that's fine, because I do like that style as well, but for the next Main game I would love going back to the slower-paced survival game it once was with more micro management again.

However, what Sunbreak should fix is the effects duration time of blood spills etc., in 4 player hunts it's often impossible to see ones own actions or what the other players do. This started with World, but Rise is even worse.

It's spamming the highest mobility, lowest precision attack available to you - Spiral Thrust.

Perfect for people whose fantasy of being a lance wielder consists of feeling like a jouster with no horse, and kinda lame for everyone who was attracted to the weapon because of its deliberate and methodical style. That stuff and quirks like how Anchor Rage negatively synergizes with Guard skills is what I'm looking for Sunrise to adress first and foremost on the balance front, although I'm fine with a broken mess as long as I can still play the way I enjoy even if it's well below optimal.

Charged Wide Sweep possibly replacing triple poke was a cause for concern early on in Rise pre-coverage. But Charged Wide Sweep being an alternative (and better) combo piece in the traditional triple poke? Sure, whatever.
Yeah, one of the things that does annoy me about lance is how you’ve got at least 4 different block/counter options which feels a bit unnecessary.

Anchor Rage feels a bit of a poor choice compared to what Spiral Thrust gives you, in both mobility plus the small buff from a successful initial block. I’m not even sure why it needs that initial block when you’ve got so many other counters. It feels like it makes the standard lance charge a bit pointless too. All in all it’s just a bit too strong of a pick compared to the others, so I’d like to see a new silkbind skill plus a mild rebalance of the existing ones.

And yeah, I don’t even like how the charged sweep looks as part of a combo, it’s more effective but somehow looks really awkward.

Yeah, one of the things that does annoy me about lance is how you’ve got at least 4 different block/counter options which feels a bit unnecessary.

Anchor Rage feels a bit of a poor choice compared to what Spiral Thrust gives you, in both mobility plus the small buff from a successful initial block. I’m not even sure why it needs that initial block when you’ve got so many other counters. It feels like it makes the standard lance charge a bit pointless too. All in all it’s just a bit too strong of a pick compared to the others, so I’d like to see a new silkbind skill plus a mild rebalance of the existing ones.

And yeah, I don’t even like how the charged sweep looks as part of a combo, it’s more effective but somehow looks really awkward.

Only time the wide sweep looks right to me is when standing in front of the face of a downed monster and swiping them back and forth across the nose with it. Charge-Swap-Poke-Charge-Swap-Poke feels more appropriate than to continue studiously poking away.

Charging into fallen foes with Charge Attack or Shield Dash still feels even better, tho.

One of the most gratifying things about Rise for me, which is continuing not only in how great Sunbreak looks but the fact it exists at all, is seeing us Switch players receive the same treatment that gamers on the other platforms got in terms of getting a full fledged third party blockbuster and now on top of that a major expansion.

Also, I hope we get the armour and sword/shield that Rondine is using in the newest trailer, they look really cool.

One of the most gratifying things about Rise for me, which is continuing not only in how great Sunbreak looks but the fact it exists at all, is seeing us Switch players receive the same treatment that gamers on the other platforms got in terms of getting a full fledged third party blockbuster and now on top of that a major expansion.

Also, I hope we get the armour and sword/shield that Rondine is using in the newest trailer, they look really cool.
I agree, Nintendo fans are so used to being treated as second-class citizen that getting something as normal as constant support, updates and a major expansion on a third party blockbuster is just... amazing.

I guess we're getting that armor and sword/shield, since they showed off in the first trailer of the expansion

I agree, Nintendo fans are so used to being treated as second-class citizen that getting something as normal as constant support, updates and a major expansion on a third party blockbuster is just... amazing.

I guess we're getting that armor and sword/shield, since they showed off in the first trailer of the expansion
Yeah now that I re-watch the trailer it shows the same armour for your Palamute and Palico listed as "Malzeno X" so it's a given we'll get a version for our hunter, which is awesome as I really like how it looks.

That's another big strength of the series for me, the process of building up cool new armor sets and weapons is just so darn satisfying, especially since you have to work hard and face many challenging battles to get them.

Hope we will get a new trailer in the upcoming Direct. I am ready.

They pretty much said the next info drop is Spring, coincidentally both Switch and PC versions are synced at the end of February. Which means the next info is as early as March.

Inspired by @curl-6 's goty nom for Rise, where do y'all reccomend a series newbie jumps in? Rise or World?

I haven't played since Tri, aside from dipping into demos, but Pokemon Legends has me thinking...
Both are a great jumping in point, but Rise does add slightly more quality of life tweaks like no longer needing hot and cold drinks for different environments, indicating on their icon when a monster is capture-able, getting around faster by riding the dog, etc. :)

Inspired by @curl-6 's goty nom for Rise, where do y'all reccomend a series newbie jumps in? Rise or World?

I haven't played since Tri, aside from dipping into demos, but Pokemon Legends has me thinking...
Probably Rise, especially if you want to play Sunbreak later on if you catch the MH bug and want something new. Lots of QoL and the combat is pretty smooth because of the wirebug/switch skill system unique to the game. World has more cool environmental stuff if you liked that in PLA and has more content to dig into currently even more so if you end up getting the expansion. Can't really go wrong with either.

In addition to what has been said above, I'll say that it also heavily depends on what type of experience you're looking for. World is a much slower game, asking you to take your time and really sit down for at least an hour or two to make (substantial) progress, which has its up- and downsides. Many aspects are more expansive than in Rise, but you've got to have the time and patience to get the most out of that.
Rise on the other hand is much, much faster with basically anything, but as a consequence it also feels more "arcadey" (for lack of a better term). Perfect pick-up-and-play title in my opinion, and as such quite the contrast to World there, which is definitely closer to a monster hunting sim than any other entry in the series thus far.

Rise or World for a newcomer is a tough question, for sure. Depending on your perspective World is either slow and deliberate and better at setting a tone and creating a natural world, or full of repetitive busywork which slows down access to the real meat of the game. Likewise Rise is either a highly mobile, no-nonsense approach which enhances the best parts of the series’ best features, or too arcadey.

In an ideal world I’d say play both (World before Rise, because World is really, really difficult to go back to after Rise’s wirebugs) but if you can only play one, Rise is my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom