• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

yeah I meant timing wise it would make sense for Switch 2's Animal Crossing to be at that sort of stage in its development right now and they already have a history of working on the series
I think Splatoon 4 would be coming first for some reason

Maybe on the new Pokémon
location-wise, nah. besides, there's already a ton of outsourcing for Pokemon that MS Kyoto would get lost in the shuffle

I mean that’s not how it works.
most of outsourcers on pokemon worked on games like Final Fantasy XVI and Death Stranding, monolith helping wouldnt improve the graphics because game freak tech is just not good,they would have to reduce their usual quality to fit in with the game freak made stuff and to run on pokemon engine

most of outsourcers on pokemon worked on games like Final Fantasy XVI and Death Stranding, monolith helping wouldnt improve the graphics because game freak tech is just not good,they would have to reduce their usual quality to fit in with the game freak made stuff and to run on pokemon engine
Game Freak's own artists had to reduce the fidelity of their work to run on their tools, even lol

Game Freak's own artists had to reduce the fidelity of their work to run on their tools, even lol
never forget
F4sWkCOW0AAB8o1

Goddamn that's seriously one of my favorite places in the whole game. When I realized there was more to Noctilum than just the first overgrown part you visit early in the game I was blown away by the scale. ❤️

I miss this game so much, Monolith!! Do something with it please!!!

Goddamn that's seriously one of my favorite places in the whole game. When I realized there was more to Noctilum than just the first overgrown part you visit early in the game I was blown away by the scale. ❤️

I miss this game so much, Monolith!! Do something with it please!!!
Noctilum was wild, I still can't decide if I like that or Sylvalum the most. Noctilum level design is better but the aesthetic of sylvalum is wicked.

Noctilum was wild, I still can't decide if I like that or Sylvalum the most. Noctilum level design is better but the aesthetic of sylvalum is wicked.
Sylvalum was wild for me because I kept seeing its giant puffball on the horizon wondering "wtf is that thing" and the suspense of what's over there stuck with me through half the game.

Then when I got there everything was OMG HUGE and it seemed weird and empty before I realized it's an area built to experience in the mechs, at which point it became the perfect example of how the game experience changes scale between on-foot and in-mech.

Mira's practically a whole other world/game once you start seeing it from the larger viewpoint of the mech and they designed the areas to really work from both perspectives, so it ends up almost being like two games in one. It's nuts.

Might almost be a more impressive achievement in world design than BotW was. Which is why it sucks that it's stuck in WiiU jail because people aughta play this game

X is my favorite Xenoblade. I think Xenoblade 1 is a more perfect game, but X is my favorite. My fingers are permanently crossed in the hopes that an X Definitive Edition is a Switch 2 launch title. I want to go back.

X is my favorite Xenoblade. I think Xenoblade 1 is a more perfect game, but X is my favorite. My fingers are permanently crossed in the hopes that an X Definitive Edition is a Switch 2 launch title. I want to go back.
A Xenoblade X re-release would be one of the few things that could break my Backlog Year plans.

I really think that in 2025 there will be 2 Monolith Soft games: Xenoblade X (port/remaster/remake) and the action game.

Midori mentioned that she recently heard that Monolith Soft has been working on a new project codenamed Legacy. She doesn’t have any other information about it other than that it’s development with Nintendo, so no Bandai Namco and/or Square involved.

Midori mentioned that she recently heard that Monolith Soft has been working on a new project codenamed Legacy. She doesn’t have any other information about it other than that it’s development with Nintendo, so no Bandai Namco and/or Square involved.
Not working with SE and Bandai is like a piece of information that everyone knows, Monolith is a second party studio that is absolutely owned by Nintendo with 99% of the shares, and there's no way it's going to work with any publisher/developer other than Nintendo.

Not working with SE and Bandai is like a piece of information that everyone knows, Monolith is a second party studio that is absolutely owned by Nintendo with 99% of the shares, and there's no way it's going to work with any publisher/developer other than Nintendo.
Project X Zone would like a word.

tbf, they were attached to the Baten Kaitos rerelease from last year, and post-acquisition they were still occasionally making Bandai-Namco games as recently as 2015's Project X Zone 2

so it's useful to narrow down that this isn't, like, Project X Zone 3, or some sort of Xenosaga or Xenogears rerelease that they're consulting on

tbf, they were attached to the Baten Kaitos rerelease from last year, and post-acquisition they were still occasionally making Bandai-Namco games as recently as 2015's Project X Zone 2

so it's useful to narrow down that this isn't, like, Project X Zone 3, or some sort of Xenosaga or Xenogears rerelease that they're consulting on

and quite a few people seem to be of the opinion that Xenosaga references in Future Redeemed mean that a rerelease of those is coming and presumably they would want to be at least partially involved in that if they really were planning on tying some elements of that into future games

personally i've always been of the opinion that those references were more of an easter egg mixed with a thematic teaser than anything more direct though

the folks who made PXZ has since left Monolith a long time ago

and I still don't think Monolith working on Xenosaga is a good use of Nintendo's time and money. maybe supervise a remaster or something

"Legacy" would fit all the Xeno games, but still, a codename could mean nothing.

I still believe we're getting a XCX port and a new Xeno game within the next few years. And hopefully a Xenosaga remaster.

Not to be a contrarian but this is barely news, "[game developer] is developing game."
I agree most of it is barely news. Though, if the Codename doesn’t line up with the Codename for the games they’ve made at least it tells us it’s something different than the status quo

I wonder if they'd be so bold as to leave "Xenoblade" as being the Klaus saga, and have whatever comes next, even if it's technically part of the same continuity, take on a new Xeno- name.

"Xenoblade" is the Xeno series that's finally catching on, so while I'd like to see them branch out I wonder if they'd risk changing up the name. I don't mind their stuff carrying on the Xeno name but I think it'd be too bad to have everything from here on out be "Xenoblade (number)"

Codename means nothing, assuming it's ever real (I have no reason to trust midori's nintendo content yet)
Yeah because Midori is going to makeup Nintendo is making a 3D Mario game and a Mario Party game? I’m not sure what’s not to trust with her. She’s literally hinted at the most basic things Nintendo will be making. This is different because it doesn’t follow the same codename like the 3D Mario codenames were and the Mario Party codenames are.

I wonder if they'd be so bold as to leave "Xenoblade" as being the Klaus saga, and have whatever comes next, even if it's technically part of the same continuity, take on a new Xeno- name.

"Xenoblade" is the Xeno series that's finally catching on, so while I'd like to see them branch out I wonder if they'd risk changing up the name. I don't mind their stuff carrying on the Xeno name but I think it'd be too bad to have everything from here on out be "Xenoblade (number)"
Going by what they've said in interviews, from talking about how Xenoblade isn't over to using "the Xenoblade series" over "the Xeno series"... I would say it's highly unlikely. Plus X is already precedent in them using the series name for games not connected to the Klaus saga.

I'm not taking Midori's weird Nintendo codename list especially seriously yet, but I don't think she really solidly established that it couldn't be Xenosaga. If I'm reading the Tweet right, the logic seems to be:
  1. It's published by Nintendo
  2. Xenosaga isn't a Nintendo IP
  3. Therefore it isn't Xenosaga
But like, Nintendo publishes a lot more than just their own IP.

From a marketing perspective it's not a very good idea to do that.

I'm not taking Midori's weird Nintendo codename list especially seriously yet, but I don't think she really solidly established that it couldn't be Xenosaga. If I'm reading the Tweet right, the logic seems to be:
this seems pretty solid

I am saying it is not Xenosaga. Xenosaga is not owned by Nintendo.

This is more than just publishing. This isn’t Bayonetta 3 where Nintendo was filling a void and didn’t let their own company over.

"working with nintendo" is interesting wording me thinks

Could it mean this is potentially an outright collaboration between epd and monolith working on a shiny brand new ip? or the standard monolith makes the game and nintendo publishes?
maybe the third pillar to join mario and zelda as the big nintendo action adventure ips is upon on

Lots and lots of possibilities

It's still going to be Xenoblade, just a new arc

Yeah because Midori is going to makeup Nintendo is making a 3D Mario game and a Mario Party game? I’m not sure what’s not to trust with her. She’s literally hinted at the most basic things Nintendo will be making. This is different because it doesn’t follow the same codename like the 3D Mario codenames were and the Mario Party codenames are.
Inside info from nintendo is notoriously difficult to come across and she's been dropping codenames left and right, I'm doubtful at best

I don't think it's likely that Monolith Soft is developing a Xenosaga game internally, but I doubt Midori is familiar enough with Xenoblade to know why people think it's possible

"working with nintendo" is interesting wording me thinks

Could it mean this is potentially an outright collaboration between epd and monolith working on a shiny brand new ip? or the standard monolith makes the game and nintendo publishes?
maybe the third pillar to mario and zelda as the big adventure ips is upon on

Lots and lots of possibilities
Xenoblade is a Monolith and EPD collaboration. One of the directors is from EPD after all.

and quite a few people seem to be of the opinion that Xenosaga references in Future Redeemed mean that a rerelease of those is coming and presumably they would want to be at least partially involved in that if they really were planning on tying some elements of that into future games

personally i've always been of the opinion that those references were more of an easter egg mixed with a thematic teaser than anything more direct though
Yeah exactly, the deep backstory of Xenoblade is completely incompatible with the settings of Gears and Saga.

I do think that it's hinting that X is canon to the main trilogy though, which might mean I'm as bad off as the real copium huffers. :cry:

Yeah, I was thinking about those old rumours/theories, haha.

No, wait, I know! They're going to pick up from Retro and take on the legacy of Startropics!
You have no idea how long I've wanted any Nintendo subsidiary or partner to do something Startropics related. Dungeons, aliens, and a tropical setting, the whole thing is perfect for someone to go ham on.

Back
Top Bottom