• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

Doesn't completely rule out the possibility of "legacy" being tied with Xenoblade, especially if you tie the concept that XCX has left its own legacy for a sequel to exist. But admittedly, it would possibly be a stretch.

If "Legacy" is in fact tied to Monolith Soft, it's either a brand new game/IP, that Zelda title I mentioned earlier with you playing as Zelda (Zelda leaving behind her legacy as the Princess of Hyrule), or possibly a sequel/remastering of XCX.

All are possibilities really.

it could also just be a new Xenoblade subseries

I see no reason why a Xenoblade 4 or whatever name they want to give that couldn't have an entirely different codename than 1-3, I actually find it doubtful that it wouldn't considering they publicly labeled that as it's own thing and called it the "Klaus Saga"

it could also just be a new Xenoblade subseries

I see no reason why a Xenoblade 4 or whatever name they want to give that couldn't have an entirely different codename than 1-3, I actually find it doubtful that it wouldn't considering they publicly labeled that as it's own thing and called it the "Klaus Saga"

Bring on Xenohammer!!!

Not working with SE and Bandai is like a piece of information that everyone knows, Monolith is a second party studio that is absolutely owned by Nintendo with 99% of the shares, and there's no way it's going to work with any publisher/developer other than Nintendo.
you cannot call MonolithSoft a second party studio when they're a first party subsidiary. that's just ... no :D

Not working with SE and Bandai is like a piece of information that everyone knows, Monolith is a second party studio that is absolutely owned by Nintendo with 99% of the shares, and there's no way it's going to work with any publisher/developer other than Nintendo.
what even is second party studio when Monolith Soft is not considered first party....

Doesn't completely rule out the possibility of "legacy" being tied with Xenoblade, especially if you tie the concept that XCX has left its own legacy for a sequel to exist. But admittedly, it would possibly be a stretch.

If "Legacy" is in fact tied to Monolith Soft, it's either a brand new game/IP, that Zelda title I mentioned earlier with you playing as Zelda (Zelda leaving behind her legacy as the Princess of Hyrule), or possibly a sequel/remastering of XCX.

Thats such a stretch it’s not even funny. Not a single codename of any Xenoblade game has a synonym to legacy

Thats such a stretch it’s not even funny. Not a single codename of any Xenoblade game has a synonym to legacy

While that is true, even XCX has a totally different code name to the other games.

If we were having this conversation where XCX did exist, but was not officially announced yet and both XC2, and XC3 were already out, “Space Travel” does not sound like a Xenoblade game either.

the main thing is, getting hung up on codenames unless they're really clear (like the whole Red[...] naming convention thing for 3D Mario apparently) is a somewhat silly and futile endeavor.

I would love to see Monolith work on a new ip too, but I can't lie to myself and say I'd rather wait longer for new Xenoblade in exchange for that. I want to see where the series goes yesterday.

I would love to see Monolith work on a new ip too, but I can't lie to myself and say I'd rather wait longer for new Xenoblade in exchange for that. I want to see where the series goes yesterday.

Given the number of employees they currently have, Monolith is potentially large enough to have two development teams. The common theory is that the second team who helps develop the Zelda series is making a new action IP, while Xenoblade still has their core team. There shouldn’t be any significant overlap between the two teams.

TOTK started right away for oblivious reasons,the next zelda its not in a state where monolith gonna get involved, they have 1.5 years of free time and the zelda team was bigger than the xenoblade team,its now or never for new ip,or they just gonna put the zelda staff on the next xenoblade lol

Well we know ToTK was finished in March 2022, so this supposed second team has been working full time on this new IP for 2 years now, plus the preliminary work that was probably being done by a smaller team beforehand. It's just a matter of knowing when they'll rejoin the Zelda team for the next game.

Well we know ToTK was finished in March 2022, so this supposed second team has been working full time on this new IP for 2 years now, plus the preliminary work that was probably being done by a smaller team beforehand. It's just a matter of knowing when they'll rejoin the Zelda team for the next game.
Since the "second Monolithsoft team" is the EPD support team, they were probably working on Splatoon 3's DLC and are probably now working on the next Animal Crossing. And that's assuming that they're not doing support work on the Switch 2's 3D Mario.

Since the "second Monolithsoft team" is the EPD support team, they were probably working on Splatoon 3's DLC and are probably now working on the next Animal Crossing. And that's assuming that they're not doing support work on the Switch 2's 3D Mario.
I think you’re talking about the third Monolith Soft team in Kyoto. There’s 2 teams in Tokyo- Xenoblade team and Zelda team. Kyoto has the third team helping with Splatoon and other EPD games.

That is a whole dedicated studio in a different city. Look at the OP, it lists all the divisions. PD1 is Takahashi's Xenoblade team, PD2 is the dedicated BotW-onwards Zelda support who would be able to work on the supposed "action game" inbetween and after those gigs. And then there is the EPD asset support studio run by Honne in Kyoto (that's why they're in Kyoto, MonolithSoft proper is in Tokyo!) that you see credited in Mario, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and pre-BotW Zelda.

I think Nintendo is giving Monolith Soft their highest budget ever to make their next game for Switch 2, because they want it to not only be a great RPG but serve as a showcase for the Switch 2 hardware as well.

the development blog has a sneak peak at some new characters from xenoblade 4

mr monolith
tech_25_01-thumb-1920x1080-955.jpg

furball
tech_26_01-thumb-1280x720-1006.png

patchwork pig
tech_28_03_07.png

stickman
tech_21_01-thumb-1280x720-893.gif

generic action guy
tech_12_01-thumb-1280x720-678.png

jenkis the butler
tech_10_02.jpg

/s

the development blog has a sneak peak at some new characters from xenoblade 4

mr monolith
tech_25_01-thumb-1920x1080-955.jpg

furball
tech_26_01-thumb-1280x720-1006.png

patchwork pig
tech_28_03_07.png

stickman
tech_21_01-thumb-1280x720-893.gif

generic action guy
tech_12_01-thumb-1280x720-678.png

jenkis the butler
tech_10_02.jpg

/s
okay now time for me to try really hard to not freak out about those hair and material sims possibly being Monolith testing stuff out for 2witch

this is why those kind of games are important,even not selling as much as other franchises

"Xenoblade Chronicles dramatically changed my view of the Nintendo Switch"
change "Switch" to "Wii, and also video games in general" and that'd be me.

And Gaur Plains and its music was the point where the game clicked with me and forced me to pay attention too.

The GOAT title screen is what got me into the series.

Hmm... I think it was reading the reviews and wanting a RPG on my Wii U that got me into the games. Took me a few tries to actually learn how to play, but by the time I reached Xord in the Ether Mines it suddenly clicked and I was in it for the long haul.

DeepL:
Honne: Since Chrono Trigger, Mr. Sakaguchi and I have talked several times about the possibility of working together on a project, but the conversation about working with him in a full-fledged team has been in limbo. I wonder if the time will pass in a haphazard manner. It's hard to get things to work together.
Sakaguchi: Let's do it, let's do it!
Honne: Wow. Thank you. I was really moved when I saw Terra Battle. I wonder if we can't get it to work together.

Could you imagine

Last edited:
I can't read Japanese but just from seeing the usernames I gotta tell you yes I could
Oh sorry I was just using the machine translation. Basically it's Honne saying he and Sakaguchi have talked about working together again since Chrono Trigger, but they've never managed it. Then Sakaguchi basically says "let's do it!". Then Honne followed affirming that he wants to.

You never know!

Sakaguchi in the past has also talked about wanting to collaborate with Takahashi.
NGL, I have spent years dreaming of a MonolithSoft/Mistwalker collab.

If it actually happened I'd ascend to a different plane of existence so far detached from our current reality that Takahashi would make a game about me.

reminder to please post at least a rough translation and/or context when posting random tweets in Japanese
especially when posting really good, joy-inducing tweets in Japanese

sadly the translate button doesn't carry over when embedding and for some reason built-in browser translate options don't catch embedded tweets either.

Back
Top Bottom